Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

How many actual individual words has Daryl even said on-screen? He doesn't have any character. He isn't a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I liked the episode where he burned a house with that girl

Apparently other people disliked it though

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Daryl had a pretty good arc. He was basically just a younger version of his brother, but when his brother apparently died Daryl was able to become his own person. He connected with people and took responsibility for protecting them. When the prison fell he took it as a personal failure to protect the people he cared about. When they got to Alexandria Daryl considered going off on his own, but decided that his connection with people was important to him, and he stayed.

Now he wears gross sweatpants and eats dogfood

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
Instead of eating peanut butter they should have had Daryl eating more dog food. Fuckin' easy street.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
poo poo, in Mad Max post-apocalypse dog food is a frikkin' godsend to the usual maggot gruel. Here it's considered a punishment lol.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Daryl stopped being a character a long time ago. He was replaced by a mute, slick biceped sex doll, to be wheeled out when the episode needs a swoon or two. Now that he wears a potato sack, eats dog food sandwiches and is perpetually covered in poo poo, hes not even that sexy anymore.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah they are running into the problem of 'his story arc is over but we can't kill him off'

Heroes had this problem all the time.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah they are running into the problem of 'his story arc is over but we can't kill him off'

Still think a decent writer can do something with him. People are fluid creatures and can change based on outside stimuli while often keeping that core of who they are. Bollocks shows would add a kid or baby for the cheap and easy new drama but Daryl going through what he is currently could lead to something interesting. Just hate when certain shows think they have to kill off a character after their inital arc is done. Bloody lazy. I don't find him as interesting as Carol but he's alright. Far less irritating than Rick.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don't like what they are doing with Carol now. It's pretty clear that she will snap out of this 'I want to live in a house away from conflict and just do my own thing' in time to help Rick take out the Saviors.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CrazyLoon posted:

poo poo, in Mad Max post-apocalypse dog food is a frikkin' godsend to the usual maggot gruel. Here it's considered a punishment lol.

Yep I was thinking that too. Dog food in the apocalypse is like giving someone a hamburger. It's not the caviar of the apocalypse, but no, it's not a punishment.

gently caress hasn't Daryl eaten dog food on this show before of his own accord?

Von_Doom posted:

Still think a decent writer can do something with him. People are fluid creatures and can change based on outside stimuli while often keeping that core of who they are. Bollocks shows would add a kid or baby for the cheap and easy new drama but Daryl going through what he is currently could lead to something interesting. Just hate when certain shows think they have to kill off a character after their inital arc is done. Bloody lazy. I don't find him as interesting as Carol but he's alright. Far less irritating than Rick.

Yep, bad writers hit these blocks, because people CAN keep evolving or get new arcs..

That said I've said it before and will say it again, I think they should have killed Daryl in season 3 and brought Merle into the fold instead. Had you swapped those deaths it'd greatly helped the series, and Merle had plenty of arc left to go since he started trying to redeem himself. "He's an rear end in a top hat, but he's OUR rear end in a top hat" is a character every zombie show should have.

He was already evolving when they iced him, and had changed a lot since the pilot in a fashion I could buy. He could have been the 2nd best arc on the show.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 29, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blazing Ownager posted:

Yep I was thinking that too. Dog food in the apocalypse is like giving someone a hamburger. It's not the caviar of the apocalypse, but no, it's not a punishment.

gently caress hasn't Daryl eaten dog food on this show before of his own accord?

My theory is: Daryl likes dog food.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

Honestly they had way way way way way way more problems than not knowing what to do with characters.

I once went through the first episode of Heroes season 3 to see how many plot holes I'd noticed and it was no poo poo like 2-4 per minute average, some beating that. Seriously that show had the most insanely stupid show runner of all time (Season 1 was mostly Bryan Fuller's baby, despite the Kring name slapped on everything) who just kept making poo poo up as he went along. I mean there were entire scenes and plot lines that just suddenly stopped or 180'd episode to episode.

I've heard every single writer on the show had a grudge against all the others and purposely tried to write characters/plots into gently caress ups to get even with each other and Kring was OK with that, which explains so much.

TWD at it's worst is nowhere near as poo poo as Heroes season 3+ (I excuse 2 as it was done in a writer's strike, but it sucked too). Not even the same ballpark. Only the 3rd season of American Horror Story came anywhere near Heroes level of incompetence, outside of it's only real competition, Dexter.

ED: Honestly the first 60 seconds of Heroes third season establishes precisely the level of intelligence we're dealing with: A character that turned evil for reasons that were never ever explained or even hinted towards declares to another character that they are fully aware is a time traveler that can also freeze time, and I quote, "There's no time!" before aiming a gun at them. It got worse from there.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 29, 2016

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Blazing Ownager posted:

Yep, bad writers hit these blocks, because people CAN keep evolving or get new arcs..

That said I've said it before and will say it again, I think they should have killed Daryl in season 3 and brought Merle into the fold instead. Had you swapped those deaths it'd greatly helped the series, and Merle had plenty of arc left to go since he started trying to redeem himself. "He's an rear end in a top hat, but he's OUR rear end in a top hat" is a character every zombie show should have.

He was already evolving when they iced him, and had changed a lot since the pilot in a fashion I could buy. He could have been the 2nd best arc on the show.

Hell yeah. Merle had a stellar actor to boot so there was plenty of gold left to mine. Always felt Merle could have easily become another Jayne Cobb or the like. Again, glad Norman Reedus gets a nice pay-cheque and clout. As far as character actors other than the Ogg I kinda wish Ben Foster would pop up. That guy is really versatile and can be creepy as all get out.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Honestly they had way way way way way way more problems than not knowing what to do with characters.

I once went through the first episode of Heroes season 3 to see how many plot holes I'd noticed and it was no poo poo like 2-4 per minute average, some beating that. Seriously that show had the most insanely stupid show runner of all time (Season 1 was mostly Bryan Fuller's baby, despite the Kring name slapped on everything) who just kept making poo poo up as he went along. I mean there were entire scenes and plot lines that just suddenly stopped or 180'd episode to episode.

I've heard every single writer on the show had a grudge against all the others and purposely tried to write characters/plots into gently caress ups to get even with each other and Kring was OK with that, which explains so much.

TWD at it's worst is nowhere near as poo poo as Heroes season 3+ (I excuse 2 as it was done in a writer's strike, but it sucked too). Not even the same ballpark. Only the 3rd season of American Horror Story came anywhere near Heroes level of incompetence, outside of it's only real competition, Dexter.

ED: Honestly the first 60 seconds of Heroes third season establishes precisely the level of intelligence we're dealing with: A character that turned evil for reasons that were never ever explained or even hinted towards declares to another character that they are fully aware is a time traveler that can also freeze time, and I quote, "There's no time!" before aiming a gun at them. It got worse from there.

Jesus no wonder Heroes went like it did. I had no idea. Heroes was one of those that friends liked that I thought could have been good but was always just... bollocks. AHS season 3 was really only entertaining due to the actors. I never realized how good Jessica Lange was until that show.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Never watched Heroes but that kind of self sabotage makes it interesting to me.

Padding to the next exploitable cliffhanger is so passé.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

Arrow used to be a good show. Arrowman used to kill bad guys and use badass karate moves but somehow the fanbase convinced them to turn a one-off role into a recurring character, and then a love interest, and jesus loving christ. Felicity and her crew of supporting characters have taken over in true nature of any CW series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXEQquiP0aM

edit: it still has its moments, like the season 3 msf was great. arrow spoilers if you care. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUAPBuOBwag

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 30, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WanderingKid posted:

Never watched Heroes but that kind of self sabotage makes it interesting to me.

Padding to the next exploitable cliffhanger is so passé.

Hilariously they brought back Fuller in a desperate attempt to fix the show in the back half of season 3, made a HUGE deal out of it (because the network knew it was a dumpster fire), and then he promptly left again in an interview saying how bitter the arguments had gotten and how the writers had devolved into an outright war with each other and Kring just let them do whatever he thought sounded cool.

One of my favorite moments of this was when Sylar got shape-shifting powers. They went through great lengths to establish the rules for them: He could only change into things of the same size, it would NOT change clothing (the person he got them through kept huge numbers of clothing available), etc. The writer of that episode gave an interview explaining why he took such great care to establish those rules, and keep the power level in check and require some clever planning.

Two episodes later: He shape shifted into a little kid complete with new wardrobe and backpack. If you'd read the interview ahead, you could practically see a middle finger in that scene.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Guy Goodbody posted:

My theory is: Daryl likes dog food.

Yes because in the show's timeline, the Saviors broke him in like 24 hours. He took to the dog food just a little too quickly.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kelly posted:

Yes because in the show's timeline, the Saviors broke him in like 24 hours. He took to the dog food just a little too quickly.

I will always find this hilarious.

Honestly when it really got worked out in the thread, I think that is a HUUUUUUGE problem with what they're trying to do with the story line.

Occupations that last less than two weeks are footnotes and not anywhere near enough to do an occupation story.

ED: Actually this will forever be a far more entertaining day-long occupation, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_of_Washington. A literal fire-quenching, soldier-wrecking tornado saved the city.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

If you notice there's more than enough room for him to hide behind that sofa.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Blazing Ownager posted:

I will always find this hilarious.

Honestly when it really got worked out in the thread, I think that is a HUUUUUUGE problem with what they're trying to do with the story line.

Occupations that last less than two weeks are footnotes and not anywhere near enough to do an occupation story.

ED: Actually this will forever be a far more entertaining day-long occupation, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_of_Washington. A literal fire-quenching, soldier-wrecking tornado saved the city.

Even if you ignored evidence to the contrary from history, wouldn't a guy like Daryl be a little tougher after three years of living in the middle of a zombie apocalypse? He was probably pretty tough to begin with too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes and of the main characters I think he and Carol have spent the most time on their own

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes and of the main characters I think he and Carol have spent the most time on their own

I doubt that. Michonne and Morgan have them both beat easily.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I should add that after my recent binge-watching of the show, I'm completely in agreement with those who are puzzled as to why nobody from his crew has gotten fed up and just bumped off Negan yet. I can understand his alpha male/ultimate broham approach to society might appeal to a lot of people, and it's even possible that most of the people in his crew are just too mentally beaten/scared to try and knock him off. I get that much. But to have people going "I AM NEGAN" like he's some sort of god or brilliant leader whose personality has dominated their own? And dudes willingly giving up their wives/sisters/daughters to him for his harem? Yeah, not buying it. At least with the Governor, he was kinda charming in an old-school Southern politician way, and you could see how he read people and knew what would appeal to them and keep them loyal (at least until his facade finally slipped away and he was revealed to be just another insane person broken by the zombie apocalypse). Negan just looks like an egotistical moron who knows they're protected by the ultimate in plot armor.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Truant posted:

I doubt that. Michonne and Morgan have them both beat easily.

Not really show Michonne. She met up with the others at the end of the farm arc, or at least Andrea, and hasn't been truly alone for more than a scene or two since.

Once the writers gave her a personality she's almost always with the team. I can't stress enough how obnoxious Michonne was in early season 3, I am so glad they made her more likable by doing things like, well, talking and occasionally even smiling.

Unfortunately Sasha's glare-at-everything disease is terminal

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 31, 2016

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I just started watching season 7-if I were to jump in the comics right now, would I be ok just buying compendium 3 off Amazon? I know some people are dead and the storylines a bit different, but does it pretty much start at Negan's storyline or does it start after season 7?

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

sex swing from IKEA posted:

I just started watching season 7-if I were to jump in the comics right now, would I be ok just buying compendium 3 off Amazon? I know some people are dead and the storylines a bit different, but does it pretty much start at Negan's storyline or does it start after season 7?

Comp3 begins at issue 97, looks to be shortly before "Olivia" dies with the eye-arrow.

And Negan starts in Issue 100 (yes)

edit: vv you're welcome, happy reading guy.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 31, 2016

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Eyochigan posted:

Comp3 begins at issue 97, looks to be shortly before "Olivia" dies with the eye-arrow.

And Negan starts in Issue 100 (yes)

Awesome-thanks!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sex swing from IKEA posted:

People keep giving the comics poo poo; I've never read them but every single time someone shows a panel comparison to the show, you can see how AMC somehow hosed it up in dramatic ways with just a few stupid changes.

Case in point: Carl comes out of the truck shooting and IMMEDIATELY starts shooting at Negan: One of the guys he killed basically acted like cover for him. Instantly he's less of a colossal gently caress-up, and it's ten times as understandable why he comes off as "badass." Carl in the show acted like an idiot who got cold feet.

It's funny because he had plot armor either way, but at least in the comic comparisons I'm not sitting there going "Why are people so loving dumb that they just don't kill the guy?"

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

The comics are 10% interesting, 90% trash. Just like the show.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stickarts posted:

The comics are 10% interesting, 90% trash. Just like the show.

I actually think it's probably more like 20%/80% from what I've seen and we lose half the 20% when AMC xeroxes the scenes and waters them down.

Telltale seems to be the only group that can write Walking Dead and actually get me invested in the characters. Even the ones I like on the show I'm just going to shrug and sigh when they bite it. Where as the game has me doing :tviv: moments all the time.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 31, 2016

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Carol's plot in the comics is amazing bad.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

TWD game is great though, play that if you have a chance. I just started New Frontier and it's hilarious how much better-written and atmospheric it is compared to the show

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I wish that Daryll video game was worth a drat

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

moist turtleneck posted:

Its like a lovely version of march of the living.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

moist turtleneck posted:

I really wish I could find that clip of guy playing that game, where he's standing in an alley with a waist high barricade running down the middle that turns the alley basically into a U shaped hallway. He's standing at one end of the U, there's a bunch of zombies rushing towards him, and right before they get to him, he vaults over the barricade so he's at the other end of the U. All the zombies turn around, walk all the way around the barricade, and start coming at him again, but right before they get to him he jumps over the barricade again. All the zombies turn around, etc.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Eyochigan posted:

Arrow used to be a good show. Arrowman used to kill bad guys and use badass karate moves but somehow the fanbase convinced them to turn a one-off role into a recurring character, and then a love interest, and jesus loving christ. Felicity and her crew of supporting characters have taken over in true nature of any CW series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXEQquiP0aM

edit: it still has its moments, like the season 3 msf was great. arrow spoilers if you care. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUAPBuOBwag

its better now. this season is way better and he dgaf and kills whomever.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Guy Goodbody posted:

I really wish I could find that clip of guy playing that game, where he's standing in an alley with a waist high barricade running down the middle that turns the alley basically into a U shaped hallway. He's standing at one end of the U, there's a bunch of zombies rushing towards him, and right before they get to him, he vaults over the barricade so he's at the other end of the U. All the zombies turn around, walk all the way around the barricade, and start coming at him again, but right before they get to him he jumps over the barricade again. All the zombies turn around, etc.

Just imagine if zombies clipped through each other in real life too.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

moist turtleneck posted:

The ending is the best: A random MG turret sequence, and then it's over.

I'm saddened because I liked the developer that made it. They clearly had no budget and time. I don't know why the gently caress they stopped making Blood Rayne games which were better than they had ANY right to be.

Blood Rayne 2 has a moment where it went from alright to amazing, when You stop the thing you were trying to stop, only to find out there hundreds more, and you end up in a post-apocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's the same instinct that makes people go build cabins in the woods. Get away from the shittiness of modern civilization. Eat food that is recognizably a plant or an animal, not whatever fat and sugar gels that are combined to create the Taco Bell menu. Never hear another ringtone again. Your home is the place you make for yourself in the world, not a lovely studio apartment you rent because you can't afford anything better.

Prepper spotted