Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Constantine XI posted:

Shoulda hacked him out of sentry mode first.

pretty sure that hacking bastion just disables his ability to change forms so that would have just given the sombra away faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like comp because it gives you close games pretty often. I guess it's less fun if you just want to climb.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
it would be interesting if you could hack and shoot simultaneously. i mean shes using different hands for it

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

Manatee Cannon posted:

pretty sure that hacking bastion just disables his ability to change forms so that would have just given the sombra away faster

Nah, it definitely takes him out of turret config.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think hacking shouldn't be interruptible. It's way softer than all the stun effects in the game anyway.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
goodbye to reinhardt forever if that happened

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

Snazzy Frocks posted:

People somehow live with Mei's cryo-freeze being uninterruptible so I don't think it'll be the end of the world.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

What a shame.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think introducing a Reinhardt counter would be a good thing. He's one of the strongest heroes in the game and enforces a particular playstyle.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It'd be cool if the next offense character they introduced was one that didn't rely heavily on flanking or surprise. Like just give me a S76 style old shithead who has a single-shot rifle that can switch between rifle and shotgun rounds with shift and E can be the same old biotic field. Basically something between Ana and Soldier with a shotgun option.

I want this because I'm bad at flanking and positioning I ain't gonna lie.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think introducing a Reinhardt counter would be a good thing. He's one of the strongest heroes in the game and enforces a particular playstyle.

My sneaking suspicion is that Blizzard intended it that way.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I can't play Rein for poo poo but I appreciate those who can and do. He's strong but not really OP, more like there's just no reasonable alternative. None of the other characters really come close to fulfilling his role. I don't think the game is in sore need of more ways to shut down a Reinhardt than there already are though. It'd be cool if there was an alternative kind of group protect tank, but no doubt it's difficult to create a set of abilities that don't really overlap with the heroes already in the game. They may never introduce another one.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Reinhardt turns this game into less of a FPS and more of a bronze age phalanx versus phalanx pushing match, and that's bad.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Since the December S3 patch, my computer is struggling on tick below (High vs Ultra I think?) top settings after comfortably running the game at everything maxed since launch. It's mostly around overheating and the processors really laboring, I don't crash at all and my graphics don't stutter, my system is just really struggling. Did they change something or is it just because I'm playing for longer periods of time, causing some overheating? Has anyone had performance issues and were you able to rectify it somehow?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Mymla posted:

Reinhardt turns this game into less of a FPS and more of a bronze age phalanx versus phalanx pushing match, and that's bad.

Alternatively, it's good.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
I don't know why more Sombras don't stealth behind enemy lines of Reinhardt comps just to disable him. Like yeah he's really strong, but literally only because of his abilities, and being able to force-disable his shield is going to put his team at huge risk if the enemies are waiting at the gate. I don't really play Sombra myself, though, but immediately upon her release, as well as being a Reinhardt player, I had a feeling she'd be a huge threat to him - that is, until people began to come to the consensus that she's kind of terrible and stopped using her.

FAUXTON posted:

It'd be cool if the next offense character they introduced was one that didn't rely heavily on flanking or surprise. Like just give me a S76 style old shithead who has a single-shot rifle that can switch between rifle and shotgun rounds with shift and E can be the same old biotic field. Basically something between Ana and Soldier with a shotgun option.

Totally needs to be more options for upfront offense characters. I myself would love a 'berserker' class that probably could implement the E ability as a temporary overheal that boosts speed slightly, best for chasing down but not nearly as good for fleeing. A more earnest bunker-buster hero could probably be useful, considering that the best options for breaking down or bypassing shields seem to be in every other category than Offense.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The issue is a good team can trivially interrupt the hack.

Mymla posted:

I think it's cool that the strategy exists, but it shouldn't be the only one.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Since the December S3 patch, my computer is struggling on tick below (High vs Ultra I think?) top settings after comfortably running the game at everything maxed since launch. It's mostly around overheating and the processors really laboring,
What temps do the CPU and graphics card hit while playing? Do you noticeably hear the cooling fans ramp up?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Mechanism Eight posted:

What temps do the CPU and graphics card hit while playing? Do you noticeably hear the cooling fans ramp up?

I can check temps tomorrow but yes, to say it is a noticeable ramp up is an understatement. It sounds like a jet engine taking off. I've cleaned out dust etc (usually do so once a month), made sure all fans were still operational, and scoped out performance while OW was running. It's utilizing about 30% of my 16gb of memory and a large chunk of my processor. My build is only about 3 years old, I run WoW on near max 2k and all that suffers is regions with lots of blades of grass.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bluhman posted:

I don't know why more Sombras don't stealth behind enemy lines of Reinhardt comps just to disable him. Like yeah he's really strong, but literally only because of his abilities, and being able to force-disable his shield is going to put his team at huge risk if the enemies are waiting at the gate. I don't really play Sombra myself, though, but immediately upon her release, as well as being a Reinhardt player, I had a feeling she'd be a huge threat to him - that is, until people began to come to the consensus that she's kind of terrible and stopped using her.

The problem is that the hack isn't really stealthy, she's totally defenseless while using it, it's interrupted and goes on cooldown if she takes even a single point of damage while using it, and it takes too long. Any Reinhart worth hacking is surrounded by teammates who can trivially interrupt it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FAUXTON posted:

Agreed it'd be nice. Nothing like picking Rein and seeing the rest of the team go for Mercy, 3 flankers and a sniper.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

It's pretty much a binary position, though. Anyone that can reliably shut down a Rein shield will become a default pick and Reinhard simply won't be viable, then we'll be playing around whoever his hard counter is. That would remove a pretty interesting and unique part of the game's flavor.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
As much as I whine about heroes (and I whine about all of them! You should see the posts I didn't write about how Torbjorn shouldn't be allowed to repair his turret) absolutely none of them are as infuriating as New Symmetra. I can actually feel an enjoyable fun game, and this weird no-fear Left Click Scourge comes through the land turning my whole team into garbage and ruins it all.

It's like you can actually watch Overwatch be broken before your eyes.

It's not actually quite that balanced because 76 is absurd, but in games where nobody picks him (super rare) it actually feels like the old game.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

The issue is a good team can trivially interrupt the hack.

There's also the issue that who the hack ability targets is a crapshoot even if your target is directly in front of you with no one in between. In any situation beyond a 1v1 your hack's effective range is actually pretty low if you're striving for a specific target. So you have to manage that and not get seen/shot during. I've heard people have had success finding spots above a Rein choke, but I can imagine the targeting can be just as frustrating there.

If you want to hack the frontline it's easier to do it behind another Rein shield. Of course, then you're not even flanking, so you won't be hacking the enemy Rein.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
rein is fine other than the fact that it takes another rein to deal with the earthshatters

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Hack could be instant and not break invisibility and it still probably wouldn't be overpowered.

Hell I'm not sure if I prefer being hacked or having an orb of discord on me as most heroes.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Oh Reinhardt is a problem? Well in that case let's make Reinhardt counter Pharah more powerful! Giver her the knockback again, debuff Soldier 76, and remove McCree's ability to shoot bullets and we can finally counter this Reinhardt scourge and settle on a more respectable meta.

Please do not pay any attention to my 50+ hours as Pharah I am unbiased.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Let hack not only disable Rein shield but also reduce it to zero so he also has to let it regen when it comes back.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
sounds loving terrible

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
hey guys maybe if you hate slowly poking around tanks with defensive abilities until your team can get a pick or two before going in, maybe you should play a different shooter

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

IronicDongz posted:

hey guys maybe if you hate slowly poking around tanks with defensive abilities until your team can get a pick or two before going in, maybe you should play a different shooter

or like, a couple patches ago

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
OW will probably be less tank heavy in the future but I find it highly, highly unlikely that OW will ever return to being as aggressive as it used to be at times like 150 genji+unlimited harmony

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

As much as I whine about heroes (and I whine about all of them! You should see the posts I didn't write about how Torbjorn shouldn't be allowed to repair his turret) absolutely none of them are as infuriating as New Symmetra. I can actually feel an enjoyable fun game, and this weird no-fear Left Click Scourge comes through the land turning my whole team into garbage and ruins it all.

It's like you can actually watch Overwatch be broken before your eyes.

It's not actually quite that balanced because 76 is absurd, but in games where nobody picks him (super rare) it actually feels like the old game.

It'd be fine if Symmetra had a wide hitbox, but she doesn't, and as a consequence I'm trying to hit a loving jumping lamppost in the head twice before I get turned into spaghetti. It stinks! Boy, it stinks!

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
It'd be nice if they buffed all the projectile classes instead of leaving hitscan as the dominant meta outside of tanks.

Blizzard is really slow when it comes to balancing this game.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Thor-Stryker posted:

It'd be nice if they buffed all the projectile classes instead of leaving hitscan as the dominant meta outside of tanks.

Blizzard is really slow when it comes to balancing this game.

Hmm I think you'll find on release team fortress was actually more unbalanced!

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

just super allergic to salt

This is me.

Statistically, it's a losing game. I've played competitive/ranked in fighting games for ages and I rarely get salty because it's like "ah. In the absence of all outside factors except maybe internet lag, that guy knows at least one thing about the game better than I do. Well, I can learn this and this and this. On to the next match!"

Overwatch just doesn't have the same style of competition. You can lose because you're bad, but also because your teammates might be bad, they don't listen to good ideas that come from players that are better or at the very least more driven to succeed, they're actively trolling, you're not able to communicate them due to lack of mic/chat parity, and so forth.

Overwatch is full to the brim with other parties to blame for a loss, which limits the realistic amount that a whole hell of a lot of players will learn from losses. Did you get stomped by a Pharah? It's easier to blame the meta or whatever, than to remember to look up and run a Soldier in your comp.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 3, 2017

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

strangemusic posted:

This is me. I can't stand the fact that no matter how well I try to play in a good match or how poorly I end up playing in a bad one, any one of five other people are likely to gently caress it all up.

Statistically, it's a losing game. I've played competitive/ranked in fighting games for ages and I rarely get salty because it's like "ah. In the absence of all outside factors except maybe internet lag, that guy knows at least one thing about the game better than I do. Well, I can learn this and this and this. On to the next match!"

Err statistically it's a winning game, not losing, because you have 5 teammates and they have 6. But yes, all team games have higher variance with the more teammates you have; 1v1 being the lowest, and games like battlefield with 64v64 or whatever being impossible to contribute individually enough to know your true ranking.

I guess it's still worse than 1v1 where if you're better you simply win which might be your point

But there are a million games, overwatch included, that have a very similar style of competition. if you choose to focus on "maybe my team was just bad" then that's your fault. even if you win in fighting games you should be thinking about what they still did better than you. same applies to winning and losing in overwatch, or CoD, or counterstrike, rocket league... etc.

but I can understand preferring 1v1 games.

Blinky2099 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 3, 2017

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
theres not much i dislike about this game

apart from teammates who switch to a new hero every time they die

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

eleven extra elephants posted:

apart from teammates who switch to a new hero every time they die

Are you sure you're not playing Mystery Heroes? Most slam pickers would rather die IRL than switch off Hanzo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

eleven extra elephants posted:

theres not much i dislike about this game

Just cut it off there. Except the mass of leavers while I'm trying to get 10 wins in Arcade on the last day of Winter Wonderland loot boxes. I only have a few hours people, stay in the drat game!