Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Platystemon posted:

Battleships probably don't have omnidirectional crash couches, but ships like the Rocinante seem to behave more like fighter planes (because fighter planes are :coal:). I wouldn't be surprised if the Roci can thrust as hard backwards as forwards—just with much less efficiency (no impossibly efficient Epstein drive).

The Rocinante can definitely thrust somewhat greater than 1 G at 90° to the floor, because it belly-lands on Ilus

In the latest book, Marco's ship, which IIRC is another stolen Martian corvette/frigate type, repeatedly jumps side-to-side to avoid Roci railgun rounds, thus implying some non-piddly lateral (?) thrusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

etalian posted:

Also RIP Shed

I also really liked the realistic depiction of a hull breach in space. Air escapes from the compartment but it's not particularly fast, so they have plenty of time to deal with the problem. And the solution is as simple as gluing something rigid over the hole. Asphyxiation is still a huge problem, but it's not like everything in the room gets sucked blown out of a tiny hole in the wall.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When Adam Savage did a behind the scenes on the Roci, it was mentioned that the seats can recline to different positions depending on what kind of acceleration they are doing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Been a while I've read the books, but weren't the crash couches fully articulated? I figure that'd be too much complexity to implement for a TV show.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Combat Pretzel posted:

Been a while I've read the books, but weren't the crash couches fully articulated? I figure that'd be too much complexity to implement for a TV show.

They're on gimbals to allow them to face the direction of thrust regardless of which direction that is.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It seems like 1g of acceleration is plenty to get you where you're going very fast. In fact holding 1g for the whole trip is quite impressive. I guess it makes sense for emergency combat maneuvers and poo poo, but your average civilian vessel probably doesn't need to ever accelerate to the point of needing "crash couches"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My impression from the books is 1/3 g seems to be the standard not in a rush acceleration, though maybe that's just Belters.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

1g will get you to Pluto (at its closest) in just over a week. So if you can do 1g of acceleration indefinitely, the solar system is yours. Hell, if we had a breakthrough that allowed that kind of acceleration today, the rest of our tech is sufficient enough to allow us to pretty much do manned exploration of most of the solar system.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bull3964 posted:

1g will get you to Pluto (at its closest) in just over a week. So if you can do 1g of acceleration indefinitely, the solar system is yours. Hell, if we had a breakthrough that allowed that kind of acceleration today, the rest of our tech is sufficient enough to allow us to pretty much do manned exploration of most of the solar system.

Does that include the flip and decel?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

flosofl posted:

Does that include the flip and decel?

Yup (didn't do the calcs myself though, so can't say it's 100% correct.)

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Grand Fromage posted:

My impression from the books is 1/3 g seems to be the standard not in a rush acceleration, though maybe that's just Belters.

Belters seem to prefer even less acceleration if they can get away with it, but 1/3g does appear to be a pretty standard rate. I think it's partly a compromise, since the spinning stations like Ceres and Tycho are at 1/3g, and partly because fuel consumption and heat buildup make greater sustained acceleration impractical.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They can't be doing regular constant 1g then, they talk about how Uranus and beyond are far enough journeys that there isn't much activity out there. Couple science stations like Antarctica today but that's it. Real human habitation ends at Saturn.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Battleships probably don't have omnidirectional crash couches, but ships like the Rocinante seem to behave more like fighter planes (because fighter planes are :coal:). I wouldn't be surprised if the Roci can thrust as hard backwards as forwards—just with much less efficiency (no impossibly efficient Epstein drive).

Every ship in the Expanse has a single powerplant at the rear of the ship, so technically everything can decelerate as hard as they can accelerate, they just have to flip and burn like the Cant did. Roci will make velocity changes considerably faster since it has less mass to rotate and accelerate and a higher thrust to weight ratio, but shes still operating under the same principles as the big boats like Donnager and Canterbury. The hard limit on any maneuver being the endurance of the crew/structural durability of the spaceframe.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

They can't be doing regular constant 1g then, they talk about how Uranus and beyond are far enough journeys that there isn't much activity out there. Couple science stations like Antarctica today but that's it. Real human habitation ends at Saturn.

Maybe the other reason for this is that the planets beyond Mars, with the exception of Pluto, are all gas giants not suited for landing. And that the planets beyond Saturn probably don't have interesting moons to colonize.
Being so much farther away from the Sun would also limit the desirability to colonize such a location.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If you could get out there easily you'd think the ice haulers would do it though. I guess Saturn's rings have plenty for the foreseeable future.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Crash couches vary depending on what they do. The one in Naomi's room that Holden and her banged on before being rudely interrupted by 3-4 hilariously bonebreaking gs, you could sleep in over long stays, basically flat. The ones in cockpits, I really don't know why, I picture like on the show, skinny lay-z-boys with articulated arms with controls and poo poo at the hands.

1/3 g is standard because it's comfy. To earthers, you're floating on a cloud of titties but your reflexes still kinda count, unlike 1/6th.To belters, it's just normal, a full G in any spinning habitat other than the gigantic would mean corliosis that got truly weird, beyond just making you feel sick, which belters I figure are basically immune to. I used to get carsick. Then I read a book over a 6-hour drive when I was 10. I was already sick, I'd been carsick before and I knew I had 3-4 hours of being sick to go, we were an hour in, might as well be entertained and carsick instead of bored and carsick, so I read and breathed heavily and read and put the book right up to my eyes when it got blurry and read some more and tried to get to a part I could mull over while breathing heavily out the window when I couldn't get the words anymore. Ever since that trip, I can read all I want. Never been carsick since.

Being acceptable to everyone, it's the natural standard. The most unbelievable thing is that there would be a standard at all.

This is all headcanon poo poo, but it makes sense to me. As far as I can tell, the space poo poo in Expanse is believable. Even the juice. Get 1-2 chemical processes right that break down in high-g, salt the veins and arteries, make them stronger and less elastic without killing you, with an as-yet undiscovered counter-agent ... yeah, I buy it. And that's the real test, right? Does it take you out of the story? If no, it's a great goddamn sci-fi thing.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Well, i mean, they have anti cancer meds that break down any cells that replicate too quickly. So the anti g drugs never bothered me. I also get that they have large amounts of anti nausea meds on hand to fix those kinds of issues. And I don't mean Dramamine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AirborneNinja posted:

Every ship in the Expanse has a single powerplant at the rear of the ship, so technically everything can decelerate as hard as they can accelerate, they just have to flip and burn like the Cant did. Roci will make velocity changes considerably faster since it has less mass to rotate and accelerate and a higher thrust to weight ratio, but shes still operating under the same principles as the big boats like Donnager and Canterbury. The hard limit on any maneuver being the endurance of the crew/structural durability of the spaceframe.

Yes but then you’re pushing everyone into the floor again, so no need for omnidirectional crash couches.

I’m suggesting that corvettes like the Tachi feature enough RCS to reduce closing speed at 1 g or more while keeping the nose pointed at the enemy.

Probably not enough acceleration to kill the crew, though, which the Epstein drive is certainly capable of.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

1/3 g is standard because it's comfy. To earthers, you're floating on a cloud of titties but your reflexes still kinda count, unlike 1/6th..

What do you mean with the reflexes part at very low G?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm not sure myself, but I'm guessing it's less weight to help keep your mass planted. Ever been in a swimming pool and tried to kick off real hard from the floor, the same way you might do a quick sprint on the ground? And I don't mean the water slowing you down, just less traction I guess. Like a really light car with a lot of power. I'm sort of picturing Newton's Laws being amplified, like if you spun around really fast it would be harder to stop yourself. I'm sure someone will explain it soon.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 3, 2017

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I think they meant that, for someone used to substantial gravity, 1/3g is enough that your intuitions about motion more or less still apply. There's a definite up and down, you can basically walk around normally, etc.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Apollo astronauts reported it was tough to work in. Like you can't even walk properly in 1/6, that's why they're always doing that weird hopping motion instead since it works a lot better. Some of their clumsiness was the suits but some is the low gravity.

All that said I imagine if you were born on the moon you'd have no issues. Mars gravity is generally assumed to be sufficient for people to function normally though.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Always funny to watch scifi astronauts move super slowly as if they were swimming in jelly.
I understand sudden movements could be risky because action = reaction, but they overdo it on TV.

I really like it though in the series that Earth people are significantly stronger than (untrained) Martians and Belters.

Another cool bit was the guy removing his helmet visor in hard vacuum and actually not have his eyes explode.
(PS : where are those rocks headed? is that a book spoiler?)

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Evernoob posted:

(PS : where are those rocks headed? is that a book spoiler?)

He threw them at the Martian ship that was harassing him.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
"Harass" is a pretty generous interpretation of that scene. The Martian patrol ship essentially sentenced them to death.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
That plays out completely differently in the book. There, the ship is jointly owned by several Chinese families (hence the name: Xinglong) who were behind on their loans and disabled the ship's transponder so their bank couldn't repossess the ship. But they came too close to a Martian warship who blew them up (possibly without a warning). Cue even more unrest in the Belt. That's also what leads to a random Martian guy (not Miller's partner) getting tortured and nailed to a wall.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Noctone posted:

"Harass" is a pretty generous interpretation of that scene. The Martian patrol ship essentially sentenced them to death.

Oh yeah, the Martians did something that resulted in the Belters not having enough air or water, right? The recap I skimmed to double-check where the rocks went only mentioned the Martians impounding cargo.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The Martians denied them passage through the section of space they were patrolling and the Belters didn't have the air/water to survive going the long way around.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'd love to live long enough to see Earth venture out into space and then witness the squabbles that'll happen over space volumes.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Toast Museum posted:

He threw them at the Martian ship that was harassing him.

Which then launched a missile in retaliation and you only saw the resulting explosion in the poor kid's visor

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Which then launched a missile in retaliation and you only saw the resulting explosion in the poor kid's visor

Suicide by cop.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

You then see on a news broadcast in the background of a scene the reporting of the incident as an act of OPA terrorism towards Mars, which leads to the crackdown on ships flying through Martian space which leads to the events of Donkey Balls.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Apollo astronauts reported it was tough to work in. Like you can't even walk properly in 1/6, that's why they're always doing that weird hopping motion instead since it works a lot better. Some of their clumsiness was the suits but some is the low gravity.

All that said I imagine if you were born on the moon you'd have no issues. Mars gravity is generally assumed to be sufficient for people to function normally though.

One of the weird things you'd have to deal with is the lack of friction. 1/6 of normal weight means 1/6 of normal friction with whatever you're standing on, so you'd slip really easily if you tried to walk normally.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mars is like 1/3 gravity, I imagine even the proud disciplined warrior martians are gangly and weak. Also why are those idiots trying to terraform, mars gravity is too weak and no magnetic field, that poo poo's all going to get blown/burnt off.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Baronjutter posted:

Mars is like 1/3 gravity, I imagine even the proud disciplined warrior martians are gangly and weak. Also why are those idiots trying to terraform, mars gravity is too weak and no magnetic field, that poo poo's all going to get blown/burnt off.

Martian marines do spend time training at 1g, for what it's worth.

As for the terraforming, I'd be more worried about all the perchlorates in the regolith. You can always burn up more comets in the atmosphere if you need to, but that doesn't matter much if the place is covered in poison.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think a lot of the info on how horrible mars is and totally unsuitable for anything beyond a science outpost is mildly new and maybe when the books were written people still had crazy ideas of "colonizing" mars. Then again colonizing incredibly hostile planets instead of just building space tubes is a pretty established scify trope and scientific blind spot in like 99% of scify.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Baronjutter posted:

I think Bobbie comments on exactly this in Caliban's War, how Martian marines would get trounced by Earther marines if they ever had to fight in a standard gee.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fister Roboto posted:

One of the weird things you'd have to deal with is the lack of friction. 1/6 of normal weight means 1/6 of normal friction with whatever you're standing on, so you'd slip really easily if you tried to walk normally.

someone on Quora posted:

Have you ever gone on a hike with a loaded pack? Ever carried a child on your shoulders? Remember how the weight shifted your balance and you had to take a moment to adapt?

Now imagine you are on the moon. You weigh 1/6th of what you weigh on Earth, but you still have exactly the same inertia. You are wearing 200 pounds of suit and life support pack, and it has the same inertia, the same tendency to resist changes in velocity as it has on Earth, but it only weighs you down about 30 pounds.

So here you are, your boots pressing down into the lunar soil with only about as much force as those of a little boy, but you have the inertia of a sumo wrestler.

If you try to take off running, you’ll run your feet right out from under you. If you turn sharply, your pack will keep going in a straight line and you’ll topple over. If you try to compensate by leaning into the turn, your boots—only pressing against the ground 1/6th s hard as they would here, may slip right out from under you.

Add to that that you are in a heavy, stiff, inflated suit with limited flexibility, and you have a bunch of tasks that involve bending over, setting out instruments, and picking up rock samples. And your inner ear is giving your brain sluggish feedback about which way is up, because it relies on gravity.

If you notice, Neil and Buzz never fell. They were being very cautious. As missions got longer and more complex, the slip sliding away set in.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Milky Moor posted:

I think Bobbie comments on exactly this in Caliban's War, how Martian marines would get trounced by Earther marines if they ever had to fight in a standard gee.

I know we're talking a lot about setting background, but we should probably use spoilers for realizations that yet-to-be-introduced characters have during the course of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milky Moor posted:

I think her concern is less“standard gee” and more “rifle behind every blade of grass”.

• Locked thread