Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

You can just beat up the first mon and False Swipe the second one every so often. Sure, it's not as mindless, but it also doesn't take as much setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

Or you can find them on route 1 once you've got the Tauros ride. They have a low spawn rate, but you'll want to look for them anyway since they are guaranteed to have Leftovers.

tho that mystery gift munchlax is a lot more useful thanks to the moves it has

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Mystery Gift munchlax comes with a Z crystal not available in game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dehry posted:

Mystery Gift munchlax comes with a Z crystal not available in game.

A really bad Z-move though. Requires Giga Impact to use and is barely more powerful.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
Oh, i'm not grind averse at all. Like I said, i've already successfully chained around ten shinies. i guess my point of view is that i like to have a static overworld team i never have to screw around with, so having to go to the pc to pull out a recycle bitch any time i want to chain something is the part that i'm not willing to do.

i keep track of how many things i've killed by glancing at my pp any given moment. after i've killed 15 idiots, i false swipe a new one. boom, done.

given the chains reset after 250 kills or so, that means i had to use false swipe around 16 times. we'll round up and say 20. i am willing to push a button 20 more times than was absolutely necessary for the convenience of having a single pokemon in my party who will chain anything i want, no hassle.

ditto? chained one. beldums who wanna tackle themselves to death? chained a shiny of those too, no problem.

tldr: basically what alxprit just said.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Internet Kraken posted:

Golisopod is awful in VGC. First impression is useless when almost every popular meta pokemon resists it. Every single Tapu wrecks him unless he's carrying poison jab, in which case he can beat Tapu Fini. Maybe. Every other one will still kill him dead. The main thing he has over Araquanid is access to priority moves but when Tapu Lele is bumbling around that's not a huge boon.

Emergency exit is just an awful ability for a slow pokemon in doubles. Its really easy for him to end up doing nothing because he gets hit for half his HP and runs off before getting a move off. He'd probably do best in a Trick Room team but Araquanid will still outperform him there.

Golisopod just isn't a great Pokemon in any format. Emergency Exit is just far too detrimental of an ability for it. It does outslow Araquanid, and is more well rounded in offenses on top of having priority, but that's all it really has going for it.

First Impression would be a good move if Bug wasn't the worst offensive type in the game.

Araquanid actually has a real usable ability, on top of having decent bulk, so I would personally go with it. It's just far easier to work with than Golisopod.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dr. Fetus posted:

Golisopod just isn't a great Pokemon in any format. Emergency Exit is just far too detrimental of an ability for it. It does outslow Araquanid, and is more well rounded in offenses on top of having priority, but that's all it really has going for it.

First Impression would be a good move if Bug wasn't the worst offensive type in the game.

Araquanid actually has a real usable ability, on top of having decent bulk, so I would personally go with it. It's just far easier to work with than Golisopod.

Entrainment Araquanid with Golisopod battle buddy

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Improbable Lobster posted:

This keeps coming up, and it's a good idea if you're using entirely new pokemon, but, uh, it's still pretty inferior to a lot of other good Water Types available. Like Mega Gyarados battle buddy, for example. Hell, even with only new pokemon, I feel like Primarina's still better.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Supremezero posted:

This keeps coming up, and it's a good idea if you're using entirely new pokemon, but, uh, it's still pretty inferior to a lot of other good Water Types available. Like Mega Gyarados battle buddy, for example. Hell, even with only new pokemon, I feel like Primarina's still better.

I'm sorry buy Gyarados isn't a giant isopod samurai friend

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

why not entrainment araquanid with Slaking? sure it doesn't learn any water moves until transfer but it won't get burned.

cancerianmoth fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 2, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Discharge Tapu Koko says hi. Also, Pokemon with Rock Slide.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dr. Fetus posted:

Discharge Tapu Koko says hi. Also, Pokemon with Rock Slide.

I just want to be friends with bugs

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

leftist heap posted:

AFAICT nobody wants Kartana at all right now, despite the fact that it's very good. Celesteela seems to be in very high demand. Hell, I can't even get a Zygarde for Kartana, which seems like it should work. I have a good 6 crappy Kartanas right now just wasting in boxes because nobody seems to want them. I haven't tried trading them for Mareanie or Castform yet though.
Well, gently caress it then. Anyone mind just swaping Celesteela for Kartana and back again? I don't need to hold onto it to complete the 'dex at least. I offer Adamant/Careful 5 IV Grimers w. Curse/Shadowsneak for your troubles.

FC: 3926-8948-4855
IGN: Rangpur

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 2, 2017

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Rangpur posted:

Well, gently caress it then. Anyone mind just swaping Celesteela for Kartana and back again? I don't need to hold onto it to complete the 'dex at least. I offer Adamant/Careful 5 IV Grimers w. Curse/Shadowsneak for your troubles.

Check your PMs.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Rangpur posted:

Hell if if those adamant 5IV grimer don't need to be re-bred and are dump special attack, I have a Celesteela I got off the GTS you can have. It's a rash nature though.

FC: 1375-8302-1020
Name is the same as on here. Let me know if you're interested. And if you are can you name the grimer Slick?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Mierenneuker posted:

Or you can find them on route 1 once you've got the Tauros ride. They have a low spawn rate, but you'll want to look for them anyway since they are guaranteed to have Leftovers.

The mystery gift one has happy hour, a false swipe equivalent, and snorlium Z.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

leftist heap posted:

AFAICT nobody wants Kartana at all right now, despite the fact that it's very good. Celesteela seems to be in very high demand. Hell, I can't even get a Zygarde for Kartana, which seems like it should work. I have a good 6 crappy Kartanas right now just wasting in boxes because nobody seems to want them. I haven't tried trading them for Mareanie or Castform yet though.

Best bet to get a Celesteela right now is Mareanie/Castform/etc. -> Zygarde -> Celesteela probably.

Celesteela was all over the loving VGC Regionals, but Kartana hasn't made a huge splash yet (because "Skarmory but better" was way easier to use)

It's like Tapu Fini, once people realize you can't be burned or can Swagger your own teammates it'll probably see way more use and value on GTS.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
There were twice as many Kartana as Celesteela in the top 16 at this weekend's VGC regionals in Dallas.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Starsnostars posted:

There were twice as many Kartana as Celesteela in the top 16 at this weekend's VGC regionals in Dallas.

Yeah I meant San Jose and London, though, where it was like, every team had a Celesteela.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
That Assault Vest Kartana is pretty viscous isn't it?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

runchild posted:

If you really can't be bothered to set up a Recycle-only+Switcheroo team (which is a lot easier than you think, and the Memento part isn't really necessary), then just kill the original Ditto before it starts to struggle, while another Ditto is on the field. New Pokemon will continue to SOS as long as they are in the same evolutionary line as the original Pokemon.

This is what I was doing. I would knock out the old Pokemon whenever a new one was called in. However, the calls for help kept failing.

I got the mystery gift Munchlax, which is now a Snorlax.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

JackDarko posted:

Considering its special defense I would think a focus sash would be better.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

JackDarko posted:

Even with assault vest, Kartana can't take more than two special hits. A super effective hit will probably still kill it. A super effective fire one definitely will. It basically does the same thing as a focus sash at best and at worst gets you killed in one hit. It also takes away the ability to use protect which makes a Kartana much more predictable. An assault vest kartana is way easier to deal with than a focus sash one for most teams.

PSWII60 posted:

Considering its special defense I would think a focus sash would be better.

It does. Most people using assault vest are running focus sash on a different pokemon and trying to be greedy by using Kartana as well.

Classtoise posted:

Celesteela was all over the loving VGC Regionals, but Kartana hasn't made a huge splash yet (because "Skarmory but better" was way easier to use)

It's like Tapu Fini, once people realize you can't be burned or can Swagger your own teammates it'll probably see way more use and value on GTS.

Most people seem to be using Tapu Fini just to spam muddy water.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

PSWII60 posted:

Hell if if those adamant 5IV grimer don't need to be re-bred and are dump special attack, I have a Celesteela I got off the GTS you can have. It's a rash nature though.

FC: 1375-8302-1020
Name is the same as on here. Let me know if you're interested. And if you are can you name the grimer Slick?
Let me check, I've got a million of the bloody things. But otherwise, sure.

edit: Looks like the one you're looking for is a couple pixels shy of perfect IVs in Defense. I... don't know how important that is on the competitive scene. I'm going to keep pumping these out since I clearly didn't learn my lesson from XY and attempting to breed Shinies, so if you're not in a rush to dump your bamboo robot I can keep working on it.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 3, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Or maybe it will be literally the next one I hatch instead. The Aristocrats! RNG, folks. I added your FC, PSWII60 and I'll be on shortly. Just need to rename it.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Rangpur posted:

Or maybe it will be literally the next one I hatch instead. The Aristocrats! RNG, folks. I added your FC, PSWII60 and I'll be on shortly. Just need to rename it.

I'll be home in about 40 minutes. I can add you and trade then. I wish I had your luck. The game for whatever reason really wants me to have a special attacking roggenolla.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Pokemon Red, or Pokemon Blue?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ariong posted:

Blue has Vulpix and Meowth. 'nuff said.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Cool!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ariong posted:

Yellow, my dude

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Why are the clothes in this game so much worse than in X and Y? I can't wear anything that would be appropriate for a setting more formal than a trip to the beach and the male character has to wear a loving backpack. Also, there are no full length pants.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-75588440

Looking at top replays again. This guy did a setup so that his Garchomp wound up wiping not only the entire enemy team, but its entire own team as well.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Theta Zero posted:

Looking at top replays again. This guy did a setup so that his Garchomp wound up wiping not only the entire enemy team, but its entire own team as well.

I knew before I looked that this was going to be the old Moxie Garchomp sweep

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Theta Zero posted:

Visual representation on the effect Garchomp has on Pokemon.

Fun fact; Beast Boost works the same way as Moxie so you can murder your own pokemon for stat boosts.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
God I just want that pokemon bank update to be ouuuttttttttttt

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
So any ideas why Nihelago won't appear for me in the Digglets tunnel? I caught the one in Wela Park and I'm not using repels.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

JackDarko posted:

So any ideas why Nihelago won't appear for me in the Digglets tunnel? I caught the one in Wela Park and I'm not using repels.

Mine showed up when I used strength on a boulder.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013

JackDarko posted:

I'm pretty sure there's only one Nihilego.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

JackDarko posted:

There's only one Nihelago and it appears in either place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Theta Zero posted:

He won because he nicknamed his pokemon