Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Nihilarian posted:

off banner Holy Rod (XII)?

if you can get back up to 50 before the event ends I'd recommend another pull on FF14, it's a fantastic banner even if the RNG didn't work out on the first pull.

I'd recommend against combining Yuna's rods for now; you can always change your mind later and in the short term they should have solid magic. Arc and Yuna's equipment are both real good, pick your favorite. Since you got Tyro's OSB that might be worth slotting in? Not sure who to replace though

I think especially early on the stat boost from tyro is going to be more useful, right? As for who to sub out, why not jecht? Or is he really good? I've never used him. Possibly steiner too since you already have Bartz to spellblade but I would think his ssb is better than jecht, maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
What's the MAG I need to get 3 hits out of Tiamat? drat 20 MSOs for r2... And how much do I need to get 6 hits out of Maria's burst Attack command?

Is using a Gaia Vest that doesn't have any mag bonus but has +20% earth damage better than say a +27 mag hat?

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008

Richard M Nixon posted:

I'm assuming whiff means get nothing good from? I think the holy rod was from that banner, I didn't screenshot the results.

I may be able to get back up to 50 and I'll try another pull if I do. Why shouldn't I stack Yuna's rods? Just not the best use of mats right now?

So I should definitely go with Yuna and Bartz, but what about the other 3? I don't know who replaces other people, so out of Terra/Arc/Steiner/Jecht/Tyro who would round out the team well enough to clear through a lot of the starter content?

It's just good to have a few stat sticks (weapons that give nice atk/mag/mind bonuses, especially when you start) since they can be scarce, plus the extra ~11 or so mind you'd get from combining isn't that great until you can compensate with other gear that other guys can wear.

I'd say stick tyro in there since he can do breakdowns, then terra as your mage (she also has access to drain and drainga to help sustain herself), and Steiner as your spellblade. Spellblade is one of the better skills to have, as they usually imply the user is a fairly solid attacker, and can heal itself with the wonderful (perhaps the best 3* ability) drain strike, as well as cover all the bases with elements that can hit vulnerabilities. Hitting vulnerabilities boosts your SB gauge more so than a regular hit, which means you can trigger your SBs sooner/more efficiently, which means you can breeze through battles faster.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

wait what am I thinking you don't have a support character yet. Yeah, Yuna, Bartz, Tyro (with the Combat 3* "Break" abilities, working up to get the Support 4 and 5* "Breakdown" abilities) would be a good place to start. Once you've done that pick any 2 of Steiner, Terra, and Jecht and grab them when you can. Honestly you'll probably coast for a good while on the sheer powers of the relics you got, without having to worry about what exactly you need. By then you'll probably have a lot more characters and a lot more relics.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there a good reason not to combine both of Aeriths Wizer rods?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Is there a good reason not to combine both of Aeriths Wizer rods?
keep them if you need multiple magic/mind weapons for that realm (like if you got an in-realm faithga or... mindga, I guess and want to run a mage team), or if you want to fight Nightmare Evrai and need a bunch of mind biased weapons, basically. Maybe the other White Mage nightmare dungeon too, I haven't done it yet.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Jesus christ the torment is already :gibs: as hell

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Setting my RW to Minfilia's Blessing of Light (Shout-level AP Boost + Last Stand KO protection). Friend code: FMsa

Varance fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 3, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Wowza, torment dungeons are 60 stamina? This is gonna be rough as hell, half the time the only reason I make it through U++ fights is by juggling party compositions around until something clicks.

Guess the strategy is here is to wait for all the crazy people on reddit to datamine / completely dissect every fight.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

Nihilarian posted:

wait what am I thinking you don't have a support character yet. Yeah, Yuna, Bartz, Tyro (with the Combat 3* "Break" abilities, working up to get the Support 4 and 5* "Breakdown" abilities) would be a good place to start. Once you've done that pick any 2 of Steiner, Terra, and Jecht and grab them when you can. Honestly you'll probably coast for a good while on the sheer powers of the relics you got, without having to worry about what exactly you need. By then you'll probably have a lot more characters and a lot more relics.

superloosegoose posted:

It's just good to have a few stat sticks (weapons that give nice atk/mag/mind bonuses, especially when you start) since they can be scarce, plus the extra ~11 or so mind you'd get from combining isn't that great until you can compensate with other gear that other guys can wear.

I'd say stick tyro in there since he can do breakdowns, then terra as your mage (she also has access to drain and drainga to help sustain herself), and Steiner as your spellblade. Spellblade is one of the better skills to have, as they usually imply the user is a fairly solid attacker, and can heal itself with the wonderful (perhaps the best 3* ability) drain strike, as well as cover all the bases with elements that can hit vulnerabilities. Hitting vulnerabilities boosts your SB gauge more so than a regular hit, which means you can trigger your SBs sooner/more efficiently, which means you can breeze through battles faster.

Great, thanks! I'm rocking Yuna, Bartz, Tyro, Steiner that I've boosted to 30 for now and I'm thinking about dumping more orbs to just get them to 50. I'm waffling between Terra and Jecht as my 5th.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Wowza, torment dungeons are 60 stamina? This is gonna be rough as hell, half the time the only reason I make it through U++ fights is by juggling party compositions around until something clicks.

Guess the strategy is here is to wait for all the crazy people on reddit to datamine / completely dissect every fight.

Your stamina's refunded if you're defeated or flee. This means that Hit and Run strategies are viable.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

You can still do that.

Final Fantasy Record Keeper posted:

Stamina Requirements

Although you need a certain amount of Stamina to enter a Torment dungeon, no Stamina is actually used until you complete the dungeon. If your party is defeated and you quit the dungeon, you won't lose any Stamina.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Richard M Nixon posted:

Great, thanks! I'm rocking Yuna, Bartz, Tyro, Steiner that I've boosted to 30 for now and I'm thinking about dumping more orbs to just get them to 50. I'm waffling between Terra and Jecht as my 5th.

To me the choice is terra and it isn't even close.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
So if I have my math right, it takes 490 MAG before Ley Lines, OK BSB, Devotion, and Burst Mode in order to push Tiamat to 3 hits.

I'm actually very close to that number in FF5 right now, but it might require dumping even more (rapidly depleting) 4* motes on his summoner sphere to get the last few points in MAG and would also require not running any RS armor for Alphinaud. A shame there's no 30 MAG accessory for FF5 because otherwise this would be an easy done deal.

Also as a forewarning: NO CONTINUING WITH MYTHRIL ON TORMENT. Have fun!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

Your stamina's refunded if you're defeated or flee. This means that Hit and Run strategies are viable.

Oh, nice! That is actually a really generous way to handle it. Made sense for multiplayer but I wasn't expecting to see that system cross over to SP stuff.

I've never actually done hit and run before, though I've gathered that the point is to charge SB gauges. Don't you have to avoid getting hit though? So many of the really tough bosses are insanely fast and get a hit or two off before you can even do anything, so it seems like you'd only be able to do that once or twice unless I'm missing something.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Combo posted:

To me the choice is terra and it isn't even close.

That's what I ended up doing.

Now is it worthwhile to burn 4* orbs to level the full party to 50? How about upgrading weapons/armor, should I go ahead and burn what I have to level it as high as I can?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Oh, nice! That is actually a really generous way to handle it. Made sense for multiplayer but I wasn't expecting to see that system cross over to SP stuff.

I've never actually done hit and run before, though I've gathered that the point is to charge SB gauges. Don't you have to avoid getting hit though? So many of the really tough bosses are insanely fast and get a hit or two off before you can even do anything, so it seems like you'd only be able to do that once or twice unless I'm missing something.

Most people bring the RM that recharges White Magic if they're doing that specifically - everyone does a physical, healer does Curaja, flee.

And Torments start with a trash round instead of the boss.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Torment Dungeons, like multiplayer, don't cost stamina unless you win

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Richard M Nixon posted:

Now is it worthwhile to burn 4* orbs to level the full party to 50? How about upgrading weapons/armor, should I go ahead and burn what I have to level it as high as I can?
Eggs are not a precious commodity, burn 'em on your main party. Use all your scarletite and adamantite getting your main party's stuff to max level, too; those materials are plentiful enough that you can restock fairly easily.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Eggs are not a precious commodity, burn 'em on your main party. Use all your scarletite and adamantite getting your main party's stuff to max level, too; those materials are plentiful enough that you can restock fairly easily.

Woo, I'm blowing my whole wad.

:cumpolice:

E: lmbo, I don't have enough gil to even upgrade one 6* weapon to 25.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Richard M Nixon posted:

Do the highest rounds of orbfest you can handle. It will get you a decent chunk of coins.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Combo posted:

Do the highest rounds of orbfest you can handle. It will get you a decent chunk of coins.

Is orbfest the golden vault? If so, is either the orb or the weapon/armor mat dungeon better?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Richard M Nixon posted:

Is orbfest the golden vault? If so, is either the orb or the weapon/armor mat dungeon better?

Orb is the better choicenin general. That said, do every stage once, including the weapon/armor ones.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ApplesandOranges posted:

If anything, the fact you get stamina back almost seems like DeNA subtly acknowledging the tactic for those who are patient enough to try and do it. At least in fights where the boss isn't a round one gently caress you nuke of some kind.

Richard M Nixon posted:

Might as well burn those growth eggs and upgrade your gear (orbs are used for skills, not levels). More xp/levels and honed skills means more levels you can clear, especially for events where you can get more mythril from clearing the stages, as well as extra orbs/mats/MCs/etc as well.

Richard M Nixon posted:

Farm the orbfest on the hardest level you can clear until it ends. The xp/gil from it is solid in addition to the orbs or crafting mats the enemies drop.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

250 Piggies down. That was a total rush. I was popping BSBs at the second trash wave cause everything is so tanky. Sadly I don't have the tools to do the 200 CM this month (will try it after summon nightmare.)

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

If anything, the fact you get stamina back almost seems like DeNA subtly acknowledging the tactic for those who are patient enough to try and do it. At least in fights where the boss isn't a round one gently caress you nuke of some kind.

Might as well burn those growth eggs and upgrade your gear (orbs are used for skills, not levels). More xp/levels and honed skills means more levels you can clear, especially for events where you can get more mythril from clearing the stages, as well as extra orbs/mats/MCs/etc as well.

Farm the orbfest on the hardest level you can clear until it ends. The xp/gil from it is solid in addition to the orbs or crafting mats the enemies drop.

Yep, that definitely gives lots of gil, awesome. Wish I didn't have such lovely stamina.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Richard M Nixon posted:

Yep, that definitely gives lots of gil, awesome. Wish I didn't have such lovely stamina.
Your stamina max doesn't really matter as long as you can babysit it; the refresh rate is the same whether you have 60 stamina or 160, it's just how long you can go without touching it. Which is, admittedly, really nice.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008

Richard M Nixon posted:

Egg your team, use terra instead of jecht, and bust through the highest orbfest level you can. You could even do the materials one and sell them if you want. Essentially you won't really ever run out of money if you chug through orbfest. You'll run out of you reforge some of your highest star stuff but you won't see that for a while. What's your stamina?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

KnoxZone posted:

250 Piggies down. That was a total rush. I was popping BSBs at the second trash wave cause everything is so tanky. Sadly I don't have the tools to do the 200 CM this month (will try it after summon nightmare.)

What was your setup if you don't mind? Did you do the hit and run to build meters?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I've put up my level 99 Maria BSB RW with V gear for the torment dungeon, if you want some earth and fire action to hit the pigs. ID is YUTs.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I've put up my level 99 Maria BSB RW with V gear for the torment dungeon, if you want some earth and fire action to hit the pigs. ID is YUTs.

Ya yutz

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
All my trinity relics are spread over so many characters (Celes with 30/30, Ramza with haste/atk, Yshtola with wall / healer bsb elsewhere) it really limits my options for this torment dungeon.

Went with two healers and got down to the third pig before one respawned and I realized they all gotta die at the same time, gently caress

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

So as someone with No Native Wall, what are my options here? I have basically everything else, up to and including:
  • Celes and OK BSBs (for +30% ATK/MAG)
  • Shout
  • Godsend for +30% MAG stacking with above
  • Y'shtola BSB for healing

My mage synergy for V is poo poo (the +++ Flame/Thunder Rods is literally the entirety of my mage weapons there) but I have a decent swath of off-synergy mage gear.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I beat the Cid Mission!! That Bartz Cloak I pulled and was sort of upset by actually was key to winning that fight. Luckily also I had good V synergy and soul breaks.

Lenna(with Pride of Tycoon SSB),
Gilgamesh(Retaliate, Gaia Cross r3, Faithful Companion SSB),
Galuf(Kick, Fire Blossom R4, Fist of Dawn SB),
Bartz(Blizzara Strike, Tornado Strike R2, Choco Romp SB),
Faris(Multi Breakdance, Magic Breakdance, Beryl Serpent BSB).

RW was Onion Knight, just cause it stacks on top of Galuf's SB and gives hastega. Used elemental Res accessories. Trash waves were just me using tauntilate for the most part.

Will try the hard one later this week. I think I can do it cause I have great synergy for this realm. But we'll see.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Combo posted:

What was your setup if you don't mind? Did you do the hit and run to build meters?

Maria, Celes, Alphinaud, and Y'shtola all have BSBs. Celes and Yshtola also used their SSBs in the fight. No hit and run was needed, since the trash waves will easily let you build SB.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

How many rank 1 hero souls should I have on hand? I have 23 right now and only 16 characters that I haven't unlocked, but I don't have any relics for any of them so I just kinda figured I'd wait until their events cycled through. I guess I should have a few set aside in case I get a crazy pull I wasn't expecting or something, but should I just turn most of these into eggs?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

How many rank 1 hero souls should I have on hand? I have 23 right now and only 16 characters that I haven't unlocked, but I don't have any relics for any of them so I just kinda figured I'd wait until their events cycled through. I guess I should have a few set aside in case I get a crazy pull I wasn't expecting or something, but should I just turn most of these into eggs?

If you have more hero souls than unlocked characters in the hall, you can safely just use them all and unlock everyone.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The difference between getting a character now and an egg later or an egg now and a character later is academic. If you have more hero souls than unobtained characters, go hog wild and grab what's left; there's no real need to hoard them. Same goes with MC1 souls. MC2s and MC3s you might want to be a little pickier with, of course, but for the first two ranks just use 'em as you get 'em, maybe keep like 3-5 in reserve for if you want to stop playing for a while but don't want to potentially miss characters.

e:f;b

PROPER EDIT: That said, I'd say you'd want at least two of each in your belt; the chances of them just silently adding Ayame and Curilla to the Hall of Rites instead of giving us an event for them is not insignificant, and the same could almost as easily be considered for the next batch of FF11 characters, too.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 3, 2017

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Beat the first torment boss. Paladin Cecil again mvps with his great aoe damage. Two healers may have been overkill but I was nervous going into this without a healer BSB. My party for reference:

Celes - BSB, tornado strike, snowspell strike
Paladin Cecil - BSB, gaia cross, magic lure
Faris - BSB, -magic dance, full break dance
Vanille - BSB, curaga, shellga. Spent most of her time doing nothing with three full bars
Garnet - SSB, curaja, maduin
RW: wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I mastered the D200. :toot:

• Locked thread