Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
What kind of man can turn even his ears into a weapon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

qntm posted:

The goddamn Batman.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

ruddiger posted:

JRJR's art is so insane and awesome. His first dozen or so issues of Punisher War Zone were a blast.

Always been my favorite depiction of the Punisher. Looks like somebody the Romita's could have known in some rough New York neighborhood.

And A+ for that post at the top of the page.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

X-O posted:

Wow, that is terrible.

Get a load of this guy, batman knife ears are awesome and I can't believe I've never seen it before.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Get a load of this guy, batman knife ears are awesome and I can't believe I've never seen it before.

"And today Batman died when a villain accidentally triggered the release on his knife-ears, sending a 5-inch spike of steel directly into his brain."

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

"And today Batman died when a villain accidentally triggered the release on his knife-ears, sending a 5-inch spike of steel directly into his brain."

"NUH UH! Batman would totally have them made to slide down past his ears cause he's batman and he's always prepared and furthermore"......

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Yeah, the ballistic knife ears are kind of dumb, but the literal knife ears are great, both on their own and with Two-Face's little speech there.

JRJR is someone who I feel like is either absolutely fantastic or completely underwhelming. I love the gently caress out of his Punisher, and his All-Star Batman art right now is stellar, but some of his recent stuff has really felt phoned in. I'm realizing now that it might have something to do with him trying to do children, though, because Kick-rear end and Captain America are my first thoughts and both of those the first thing I think of is how his kids just look like shrunken adults and all have the same drat face.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

qntm posted:

Plastic Man, Mister Fantastic, Clayface, Sandman...

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Always makes me laugh, from Dr. Mcninja.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I liked his work on Hulk. Especially stupid sexy Abomination.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
People focus on Batman's knife-ears from ASB, but lose sight of the truly amazing revelation that Batman actually hears through his bat-ears and cannot hear when he pulls the knives out

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Also, he made some sonic blast out of playing Batman inspired death metal out of a chest-speaker. Also, he used a shark repellent.
Scott Snyder's All-Star Batman, people.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

ruddiger posted:

Liefeld has absolutely zero relevance in a discussion involving Kelley Jones and Sam Kieth and is the lowest bearing fruit to go after, so much so that your mod had to put it in the thread title.

At least Rob took his bad art and was able to capitalize it so that he and 7 others were able to gamble on their careers, and ended up changing the face of the comics industry forever so that other talented artists had a fair deal and were no longer handcuffed by Marvel and DC. Dark Horse was the only other relevant place doing it at the time, but they were beholden to their movie licenses, and fans reacted poorly when guys like Jones and Kieth were put on books like loving Aliens instead of an indy title they could flex their creativity on. Without Image, who knows what the field would look like today. What have you accomplished with your bad art?

and much to Rhyno's disappointment, I never got to have lunch with Liefeld. Sorry you can't go to the well on that one rhyno.

e: you really need to learn the definition of anecdotal.

Liefeld was such an incompetent shitheel that he was forced to quit Image so he wouldn't be fired for embezzlement. He almost destroyed the company single-handedly and ruined multiple careers along the way. He also ripped off Jack Kirby's impoverished widow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Catfishenfuego posted:

Liefeld was such an incompetent shitheel that he was forced to quit Image so he wouldn't be fired for embezzlement. He almost destroyed the company single-handedly and ruined multiple careers along the way. He also ripped off Jack Kirby's impoverished widow.

I thought the embezzlement thing was bullshit? Because they invited him back to Image a few years ago.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I did have lunch with Liefeld and can confirm that he's a nice guy, SO STOP TALKING poo poo

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Also, he made some sonic blast out of playing Batman inspired death metal out of a chest-speaker. Also, he used a shark repellent.

I assume the sonic blast was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqv_LUStxDw

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Jones's Batman is all about mood and atmosphere over practicality. His stuff is closer to Nosferatu than let's say Dracula, and there is a reason a lot of Batman's posers were vampire-like.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Teenage Fansub posted:

Batman was making a joke. It wasn't shark repellent, it was acid.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

r/comicbooks has their best-of-the-year winners and they have entries for best colorist and best inker and I realized that I can't really tell the difference between most colorists and I dunno if even know what "good inking" is. What are some good resources to help me better understand and appreciate these skills?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Inking is so loving weird to figure out, to me, if I never see the pencils. It's one of those skills that can change the total meaning of a panel but if you didn't know the original intent, I'm not sure you could tell anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't know of any resources, but as you look at a given penciler's work more and more with different inkers, you can, at the very least, notice a difference in the inker. There's definitely penciller/inker combos that work better than others. Pretty much no one but Klaus Jansen should be inking Frank Miller and JRJr at this point.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

One thing to watch out for or consider is that the width of lines tends to come from the ink. Pencil width/thickness doesn't vary too widely so if you see lines that are thick, that's the inker. The above-mentioned Klaus Janson is one of those inkers people tend to notice very early on because he has a very distinctive use of thick lines and it pairs well with someone like JRjr, as Endless Mike says, because Romita's figures are blockier and chunkier and Janson's inks amplifies that and adds much more "weight" to everything.

Like, look at the top of Thor's cape or the left edge of his arm as compared to his hair. Or check out the shading on his arm. You don't even need to see Thor's face to spot a JRjr/Janson collaboration.

Edit: If you compare it to Coipel's Thor (unsure of inker) you'll see the linework is much thinner.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 4, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RevKrule posted:

Inking is so loving weird to figure out, to me, if I never see the pencils. It's one of those skills that can change the total meaning of a panel but if you didn't know the original intent, I'm not sure you could tell anyway.

Yeah, one of my big eureka moments with coloring was that famous Injustice Batman-punching-and-crying panel that looks so bad, and then someone posted the pencils and it turned out to be a total colorist error. I was like, whoa I better pay attention to colors more. But beyond like Ive Svorcina on Ribic's pencils I dunno that I could say, whoa the color here is especially amazing and is definitely adding to the art. Not to say that colorists don't make a difference, just that I can't tell unless it's at either extreme.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You can definitely spot bad colour if you look through early-to-mid-90s comics when comics were first getting into digital colouring.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lobok posted:

You can definitely spot bad colour if you look through early-to-mid-90s comics when comics were first getting into digital colouring.

Or any comic by Salvador Larocca, there's this one guy he's usually paired with, I can't remember his name, but he's godawful.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I Before E posted:

Or any comic by Salvador Larocca, there's this one guy he's usually paired with, I can't remember his name, but he's godawful.

Larocca's never had an inker that can do much good with his pencils.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Colour theory is sort of something you have to learn, otherwise you end up appreciating that the end result is pleasing, but the "why" is on a subconscious level that you might not be able to identify.

One thing to look for if you want to up your...I guess colouring interest value recognition-skills? is which colours are good contrasts and perfect complements. Pairings like purple and green, yellow and blue, or red and teal may not sound intuitively "right" on paper, but they make up a whole lot of iconic costumes, and if you look at many more subtle things, like lighting or backgrounds, you may see artists drawing out similar contrasts in a more restrained way to heighten elements of tone or mood.

Often what makes for the best colours is hard contrasts, colours that are distinctly different and have clear lines dividing them. I think a lot of people with no grounding in colour theory intuitively assume the opposite, that you'd want soft gradients of very similar colours seamlessly blended with each other. In reality, this often ends up looking plasticky or muddy, and most good colour jobs that "read" like this are in fact using lots of contrasts that are just so subtly implemented that the end result looks lively and natural.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

And of course, if the work in question is being coloured in flats with limited shading, like most comic books before a certain period, it's all about those hard contrasts and striking colour clashes to bring out mood and tone.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

On the topic, I was just reading this the other day. It's less about colour theory and more about spotting how colour choices reinforce story and character, and also hint at it. Though to be able spot stuff like this I think you might need to be as keen-eyed as Hawkeye herself but it's an interesting read if you ever think that colourists are just supposed to make the sky blue and the grass green. Even moreso than movies, everything you see in a comic is 100% an intentional choice of someone's.

http://comicsalliance.com/strip-panel-naked-bellaire-hawkeye-coloring/

Lobok fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 4, 2017

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Larocca's never had an inker that can do much good with his pencils.

I was talking about the colorist.

E: Frank D'armata seems to be who I was thinking of.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 4, 2017

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

My favorite example of the use of color is Dave Cockrum's redesigns for the '70s Legion of Super-Heroes costumes. Even working with a very limited color palette, he gives every Legionnaire his or her own set of colors that stood out from the others, making them immediately identifiable on the page even in crowd scenes.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Is it a construct that blue highlights on black = black hair, while brown highlights on black are clearly brunette? Or is it some kind of wacky color theory thing?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jago posted:

Is it a construct that blue highlights on black = black hair, while brown highlights on black are clearly brunette? Or is it some kind of wacky color theory thing?

Jet black hair vs. very dark brown hair, probably. Irl it can be difficult to tell the difference depending on the lighting.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Jago posted:

Pretty much. Back in the newsprint days, that was the best they could do.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tony

No

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I don't think hairdo has 2 o's in it guys

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
For a bad colorist, look at who ever is ruining Foreman's art on Ultimates.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

purple death ray posted:

I don't think hairdo has 2 o's in it guys

I like to think he was lowkey calling it poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Somebody put Murata on a Spider-man book please