Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Is the Fer-De-Lance a straight upgrade from the Vulture when it comes to bounty hunting? I'm thinking of selling my vulture, as if I do that plus the money I've got from the civil war exploits will allow me to get this Fer-De-Lance as well as a Python jack-of-all-trades, as well as keeping my current Asp Explorer as an exploration/fast passenger vessel. Then I'll have a ship for all possible functions unless I want to continue to grind for a fully-kitted Anaconda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005
:stare:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

I like to get up now and then for a piss or a drink of water: sue me.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Good, but I wonder how severe the 2.2.03 change to link gimbal accuracy to sensors will affect ships without A rated sensors. I haven't tried the beta so I have no idea if this is a thing:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/313507-2-2-03-Beta-Update-1 posted:

Weapons]
Link Gimbal weapon tracking to the sensitivity of ship sensors. Does not affect CQC/Fighters/Non-main-ships

Also docking computers own and I wish a slot sacrifice wasn't required to use them.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I don't know how people who run RES grinds can live without A-rated sensors. You pick up so many more contacts patrolling with the extra volume of coverage.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Asimov posted:

Also docking computers own and I wish a slot sacrifice wasn't required to use them.

In the far future computers come in "room sized mainframe" or "not at all".

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

DancingShade posted:

Turns out Thomas Watson was right.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
The closest ship I had was my Anaconda so I'm currently sitting above Faraday Keep picking off skimmers with my huge beam laser.
Just a tap and they die.

It'll take a while, but the payout will be worth it. I don't have any missions under 4 million and most are over 8.
It only let me stack 19 missions.

I wish they had all been like this:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Asimov posted:

Good, but I wonder how severe the 2.2.03 change to link gimbal accuracy to sensors will affect ships without A rated sensors. I haven't tried the beta so I have no idea if this is a thing:

They recanted.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 2, 2017

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

DancingShade posted:

Well, obviously all far future software is written in extremely proprietary Oracle® FutureJava™ and spends most of its time mining FutureCoins for its creators.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

ElPez posted:

Well, obviously all far future software is written in extremely proprietary Oracle® FutureJava™ and spends most of its time mining FutureCoins for its creators.

I like to think the computers are really advanced but over a millennia layers of legacy data and applications has just built up, requiring massive computers to process redundant processes to nth degree, since nobody wants to mess with something that actually works.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Rincewinds posted:

I like to think the computers are really advanced but over a millennia layers of legacy data and applications has just built up, requiring massive computers to process redundant processes to nth degree, since nobody wants to mess with something that actually works.

Wasn't there some fiction where programmers were more like Program Archaeologists dedicated to being Really Good at Future Stack Overflow? Maybe that's exactly what happens in the Elite universe

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Rincewinds posted:

Not to mention the serious antimalware needed when interfacing with Alliance stations.

Anyway, picture time:

Ran into these beauties on my way back from drac. You can fit a Cobra through there (for science), but sadly there doesn't seem to be any bonus for scooping two stars at once.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

DancingShade posted:

In the world of Elite, Moore's Law stopped around 2050?

Chrysophylax posted:

They recanted.

Source?

Chrysophylax posted:

Wasn't there some fiction where programmers were more like Program Archaeologists dedicated to being Really Good at Future Stack Overflow? Maybe that's exactly what happens in the Elite universe

Sounds a little like the Cheng Ho traders in A Deepness in the Sky, who packrat computer programs back the the Unix era:

Vernor Vinge posted:

Take the Traders' method of timekeeping. The frame corrections were incredibly complex - and down at the very bottom of it was a little program that ran a counter. Second by second, the Qeng Ho counted from the instant that a human had first set foot on Old Earth's moon. But if you looked at it still more closely ... the starting instant was actually about fifteen million seconds later, the 0-second of one of Humankind's first computer operating systems.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/316906-Beta-state-of-play-summary

quote:

Changes we’re likely to roll back
Gimbals: for now we’re going to roll back all of the gimbal changes, which mean they will retain their tracking arc from the current live build (not the beta) and will not be affected by sensors. We will be keeping the buffs to fixed weapons.

We think there’s merit in the concept behind this test, especially with giving added consequence for sensors. However, the feedback is convincing us that we probably need to come back to it at a future point, when we can spend more time looking at how these modules could work together to bring more parity between fixed and gimbals, and create interesting choice at the same time.

Added A Deepness in the Sky to the reading list, thanks!

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

So it turns out you can't accept missions if you don't have enough cargo space to receive the reward.

Neat.

EDIT: also if you blow up the skimmers and hit log off before the ship spawns in it only makes you wait 10 seconds instead of 15.

Aslo neat.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 2, 2017

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Astroniomix posted:

So it turns out you can't accept missions if you don't have enough cargo space to receive the reward.

Neat.
What's neater is, the rules for cargo space vs mission rewards vary by mission type. Combat missions you need space to take the mission but not to turn them in, completed passenger missions don't even appear on the board if you haven't got space and that goes for materials too. It's all very :frontear:

While I'm here, does anyone know a way to disable my hotas (it's a thrustmaster t16000m one) without going under the desk to pull leads out? It fucks up the new hitman game's menus if I start with it plugged in. I looked in device manager but I just had a pile of generic usb/human interface devices with no indication of which two it was.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Somehow this military slots thing totally escaped me.

quote:

Military ship slots
<snip>

These slots are additions, so no ship will lose anything. However, the only modules that these slots will accept are hull reinforcement, module reinforcement and shield cell banks.
<snip>
The following ships will benefit from additional military slots:

Eagle: 1x size 2
Imperial Eagle: 1x size 2
Viper Mk III: 2x size 3
Viper Mk IV: 2x size 3
Vulture: 2x size 5
Federal Dropship: 3x size 4
Federal Gunship 3x size 4
Federal Assault ship: 3x size 4
Anaconda: 2x size 5
Imperial Cutter: 3x size 5
Federal Corvette 3x size5

Holy poo poo. My Vulture just got 300% more awesome since I can now actually put some utility in regular slots, and 2 size 5 HRP's or 1 HRP and 1 SCB :getin:

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

TorakFade posted:

Somehow this military slots thing totally escaped me.

Holy poo poo. My Vulture just got 300% more awesome since I can now actually put some utility in regular slots, and 2 size 5 HRP's or 1 HRP and 1 SCB :getin:

This is amazing. Maybe the will add cargo slots to the type series in the future so they can finally not be worse at their given role than the "multirole" ships.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

So how much armour can a FAS fit now?

And how much does it matter since missiles scour the surface of an unshielded ship clean?

Vecna
Feb 14, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

While I'm here, does anyone know a way to disable my hotas (it's a thrustmaster t16000m one) without going under the desk to pull leads out? It fucks up the new hitman game's menus if I start with it plugged in. I looked in device manager but I just had a pile of generic usb/human interface devices with no indication of which two it was.

This is what I use for my CH Fighterstick/ CH Pro Throttle/ Headset DAC/ Xbone One Wireless Adapter/ Steam Controller - works fine: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-4-Po...eywords=usb+hub

I just power off the HOTAS or whatever is giving me trouble in your case. It also works great in those situations where the controller ceases to communicate properly for whatever reason, just power cycle the device et voila.

On-topic, the Frontier servers seem to be having problems; here's hoping they're not downing them to apply the patch early.

Vecna fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 2, 2017

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

tooterfish posted:

And how much does it matter since missiles scour the surface of an unshielded ship clean?

Enough to make it finally viable - especially with the new biweaves, and you have damage soak modules to prevent just that. Although packhounds still defeat those.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Vecna posted:

This is what I use for my CH Fighterstick/ CH Pro Throttle/ Headset DAC/ Xbone One Wireless Adapter/ Steam Controller - works fine: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-4-Po...eywords=usb+hub

I just power off the HOTAS or whatever is giving me trouble in your case. It also works great in those situations where the controller ceases to communicate properly for whatever reason, just power cycle the device et voila.

On-topic, the Frontier servers seem to be having problems; here's hoping they're not downing them to apply the patch early.
Nice, I'll grab one of those and an extension cord I guess, the cable looks tiny.

Regarding the servers, I also get the impression that somewhere, a bed has been poo poo. :v:

Edit: I alt-tabbed back into the game after posting and was greeted with this

and now I can't get any missions at all. :rip:

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 2, 2017

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Chrysophylax posted:

Vernor Vinge, A deepness in the Sky and A fire upon the deep.

One of the characters has the job title of "Programmer at arms"

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Pilchenstein posted:

Nice, I'll grab one of those and an extension cord I guess, the cable looks tiny.

Regarding the servers, I also get the impression that somewhere, a bed has been poo poo. :v:

I wonder if the system is making GBS threads itself from all the people getting missions from the same place.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

and counting :D

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Pilchenstein posted:

I was getting that when I was trying to cash in my missions. I also got kicked out a few times when I was killing skimmers due to communication issues with the server.

jnnnnn
May 31, 2013

MEL

Sard posted:

I don't know how people who run RES grinds can live without A-rated sensors. You pick up so many more contacts patrolling with the extra volume of coverage.

A-grade sensors on a big ship weigh 128 tonnes, which reduces an Anaconda's jump range by 20% over D-rated ones. The increased mass also hurts turn rates, shield strength, and top speed.

There's no excuse for such stupid numbers though:
The 2.5 tonne A-grade sensors on an Eagle have a typical range of 6.2km;
The 128 tonne A-grade sensors on an Anaconda have a typical range of 7.6km.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

jnnnnn posted:

A-grade sensors on a big ship weigh 128 tonnes, which reduces an Anaconda's jump range by 20% over D-rated ones. The increased mass also hurts turn rates, shield strength, and top speed.

I was always told that Shields only count the base Hull mass, not extra internal mass. Coriolis and other similar ship fitting tools always seemed to not give a gently caress about anything else either, back when I used them.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

jnnnnn posted:

Somebody at fdev needs loving therapy. 128 tons.. haha. Like dont even publish the numbers, just abstract it with some confusing sliders and call it done. I bet somebody passionately defended this insanity too. All it does is detect "heat" lol.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

DogonCrook posted:

Somebody at fdev needs loving therapy. 128 tons.. haha. Like dont even publish the numbers, just abstract it with some confusing sliders and call it done. I bet somebody passionately defended this insanity too. All it does is detect "heat" lol.

melting down over an arbitrary game mechanic :allears:

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
He's been... TROLLED!???

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

melting down over an arbitrary game mechanic :allears:

haha yeah im never playing this game again because of these sensor weights i didn't notice for 2 years..

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Well I've made my first 20 million in 17 draconis, while I'm going for god knows how much more, where's the nearest high tech system for a new pilot to buy poo poo in? Preferably somewhere that sells vultures.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Verizian posted:

Well I've made my first 20 million in 17 draconis, while I'm going for god knows how much more, where's the nearest high tech system for a new pilot to buy poo poo in? Preferably somewhere that sells vultures.

eddb.io owns for searches like this (Li Yong-Rui for a 15% discount)

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

tooterfish posted:

They're also introducing 'module reinforcement packs' that basically provide your various subsystems some ablative armor.

Also a friendly reminder to everybody that this is why the God-Emperor invented mods like Armored Power Plant and Shielded FSD. Many of the raw performance-boosting mods like Overcharged Power Plant actually reduce your module integrity and make your systems more vulnerable to getting punked out by missiles.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Recommending armoured internals against missiles...

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
It's not optimal by any means, but that's what they're for.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's a pity the Imperial Courier isn't getting 2x size 3 military compartments so we could toss in some armor reinforcements and military plating to make it perform more like a Viper Mk 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I just started playing after a year+ break and was disconnected 4 times in ~15 minutes just trying to loving dock

Frontier is still Frontiering huh

• Locked thread