Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

The Oggi bowls I see at the store seem sturdy.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=oggi+bowl+steel

I've cut through a flimsy steel bowl with a beater knife before, which is why I went looking for sturdier bowls

For small things I use anchor hocking glass custard cups, they come with covers and it's $5 for 4 at Big Lots
Yeah I want something more the size of the custard cups, maybe a little bigger. For mise and that kind of poo poo rather than mixing---handful of persillade, some grated whatever the gently caress, half a diced onion...like that. And I'm looking for stainless because I want to be able to toss 'em around, chuck 'em into the sink, whatever, without having to worry about chipping/cracking/whatever the gently caress.

I've seen a shitload of stainless sauce bowls and that kind of thing---hold like a Tbsp or two of something---and a lot of bigger stainless bowls that'll crumple if you sneeze on 'em, but I haven't found any that are hefty and around, like, the size of a cereal bowl or a little smaller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I bought six 6oz stainless steel bowls at my local pan-Asian grocery store that were like 50 cents a piece and reasonably thick walled with rolled edges. There's no branding of any sort on them, but maybe see if there's any places like that with a cookware/houseware section near you? Honestly I wish I had a few mor of them, but the ones I saw there recently were thinner steel.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Hauki posted:

I bought six 6oz stainless steel bowls at my local pan-Asian grocery store that were like 50 cents a piece and reasonably thick walled with rolled edges. There's no branding of any sort on them, but maybe see if there's any places like that with a cookware/houseware section near you? Honestly I wish I had a few mor of them, but the ones I saw there recently were thinner steel.
You can find little stainless sauce/condiment bowls in like 2, 4, and 6 oz sizes in pretty much any restaurant supply store. They're great for ketchup with your fries or whatever, but I really want something that's, I dunno, more like 12 or 16 oz. I mean I can just use a salad bowl or whatever, but I'd like something in stainless so I don't have to worry about banging them up. And for whatever reason there seems to be a dead zone between around 6 oz and around a quart and a half in terms of stainless bowls. And of course I could just use bigger bowls, but it doesn't take many mixing bowls in your mise to run you out of counter space.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

SubG posted:

You can find little stainless sauce/condiment bowls in like 2, 4, and 6 oz sizes in pretty much any restaurant supply store. They're great for ketchup with your fries or whatever, but I really want something that's, I dunno, more like 12 or 16 oz. I mean I can just use a salad bowl or whatever, but I'd like something in stainless so I don't have to worry about banging them up. And for whatever reason there seems to be a dead zone between around 6 oz and around a quart and a half in terms of stainless bowls. And of course I could just use bigger bowls, but it doesn't take many mixing bowls in your mise to run you out of counter space.

Oh, that's bigger than I thought you were looking for initially. Vollrath makes 16 oz heavy stainless mixing bowls, we just got like four of those before Thanksgiving. They might have a smaller size too, although that may be an order-only sort of thing.

edit: if you're not married to the idea of round bowls, you could also get a bunch of shallow 6th or 9th pans? Ninths come in ~16-19 oz. capacity that take up a smaller footprint (~4"x6") than a round would, sixths are a little bigger obviously (~6"x6")

Hauki fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 3, 2017

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Hauki posted:

edit: if you're not married to the idea of round bowls, you could also get a bunch of shallow 6th or 9th pans? Ninths come in ~16-19 oz. capacity that take up a smaller footprint (~4"x6") than a round would, sixths are a little bigger obviously (~6"x6")
That's a good idea. A bunch of the shallow 1/9th pans are probably pretty close to exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. I'll have to pick up a couple next time I'm at a restaurant supply and try 'em out as mise bowls.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
My dog's stainless food and water bowls sound like exactly what you're looking for. Probably more expensive than restaurant supply, though.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Any recommendations for #200 and #500 sieves that don't cost hundreds of dollars?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Crosspost from the Bread Thread.

So I just bought an OXO rolling pin at Bed Bath & Beyond, and before I use it I'm wondering if there's any reason why I should return it and buy a different one instead.

It's made of... well it's not made of wood (some sort of plastic I guess), and it's pretty heavy and has self-balancing handles and cost like $30. I bought it over the wood ones because I figured I could stick it in the dishwasher.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The texture on wood ones hold onto flour well, so you can dust them and roll dough without sticking. Other materials don't hold flour well.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Steve Yun posted:

The texture on wood ones hold onto flour well, so you can dust them and roll dough without sticking. Other materials don't hold flour well.

I actually also got a pastry mat so I could roll dough without using flour. I live with a roommate and don't want to make a mess all over the counter with flour.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I actually also got a pastry mat so I could roll dough without using flour. I live with a roommate and don't want to make a mess all over the counter with flour.
Use flour, clean up after you're done.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I too have a silicone pastry mat and dough sticks to it enough to be annoying.

Use flour.

I haven't used a nonstick rolling pin myself, but I bought a wood one because enough people said dough would stick to their nonsticks

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Eh, I guess I can just put flour on the pastry mat if I have to.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Also, rolling pins take 3 seconds to clean. I wouldn't ever even bother putting mine in the dishwasher.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
The li'l lady and I got a kitchenaide mixer for Christmas which is dope, but I went to check out the pasta roller attachments with two cutters and it's like $110. The roller alone is sixty or seventy. Should we just nut up and buy the three-piece set? God bles.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Just get the pasta roller set. It's as good as a hand crank table model, if not better.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pretty sure this has been covered before, but I may be getting a stick blender to make pizza sauce. Is there any particular one that's good?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Pretty sure this has been covered before, but I may be getting a stick blender to make pizza sauce. Is there any particular one that's good?

Here is the one I have. It has served me faithfully for at least four years with regular use. The mini-processor attachment is also very handy, and the measuring cup that's just large enough to fit the head of the blender is perfect for making salad dressing and homemade mayonnaise.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

Here is the one I have. It has served me faithfully for at least four years with regular use. The mini-processor attachment is also very handy, and the measuring cup that's just large enough to fit the head of the blender is perfect for making salad dressing and homemade mayonnaise.

I too have a Cuisinart stick blender and it has served me well. Would buy again.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I too have a Cuisinart stick blender and it has served me well. Would buy again.

Me three! I love that thing and have seriously considered ditching my generic blender because the stick blender does 95% of what I need a blender to do and my food processor would be able to handle the other 5%.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Interesting, I never use that thing. In fact, I never seem to have a need for mini-choppers at all.

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

The Midniter posted:

the measuring cup that's just large enough to fit the head of the blender is perfect for making salad dressing and homemade mayonnaise.

My measuring cup cracked, which led me to discover that empty glass peanut butter jars (smuckers natural, at least) are a perfect fit.

Plus, with the glass jars, there's no extra cleanup - after emulsion, just screw on the lid and pop in the fridge :)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Squashy Nipples posted:

Interesting, I never use that thing. In fact, I never seem to have a need for mini-choppers at all.

It is great for processing sun-dried tomatoes for a pizza or pasta sauce, or chopping up some onion/celery/pickle for a chicken or tuna salad, etc. Not great for huge amounts of stuff but for small things, it's much easier and convenient than having to pull out the full-size food processor.

Peep Jerky
Apr 11, 2005
Cutting board question: is it normal to expect a wood cutting board to warp over time, and how much? I bought one a while ago and when I got it home I noticed it was slightly warped (one corner doesn't touch the counter, so it wobbles like a fast food restaurant table). It didn't seem that bad though, so I decided not to return it, but now with use and washing, it seems like it's getting worse. Any chance of flattening it out, or should I see if it came with a warranty or something?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Peep Jerky posted:

Cutting board question: is it normal to expect a wood cutting board to warp over time, and how much? I bought one a while ago and when I got it home I noticed it was slightly warped (one corner doesn't touch the counter, so it wobbles like a fast food restaurant table). It didn't seem that bad though, so I decided not to return it, but now with use and washing, it seems like it's getting worse. Any chance of flattening it out, or should I see if it came with a warranty or something?

That tends to happen with wooden cutting boards, especially edge-grain ones, usually if they have been exposed to moisture and/or heat for extended periods. And no, it should not happen but since it is an issue frequently caused by improper care I doubt it would be covered under warranty.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Have you guys ever noticed that mobile recipe websites are the worst? loving ads and popups everwhere resisting your quest to read a goddamn recipe?

I recently started using pi hole to block ads on every device on my home network. The jist of it is that it serves as a DNS server for your network, and any requests for addresses that are in public adblock databases never make it out of your network. Thus it works on phones and tablets as long as they're using your wifi. It's nice everywhere but it really pays dividends on the mobile versions of recipe websites, which i assume you guys agree are the worst. All of a sudden recipe sites just load fast without all the bullshit and I can read the recipe right away! Wow!

It's fairly easy to set up as nerd poo poo like this goes, which is to say you'd probably have to install raspbian on a raspberry pi, then log in to it, give it a static ip, run one command to install pi-hole, and then log into your router and change one thing. e: also note that you can not do this with a raspberry pie

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 13, 2017

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

poverty goat posted:

Have you guys ever noticed that mobile recipe websites are the worst? loving ads and popups everwhere resisting your quest to read a goddamn recipe?

I recently started using pi hole to block ads on every device on my home network. The jist of it is that it serves as a DNS server for your network, and any requests for addresses that are in public adblock databases never make it out of your network. Thus it works on phones and tablets as long as they're using your wifi. It's nice everywhere but it really pays dividends on the mobile versions of recipe websites, which i assume you guys agree are the worst. All of a sudden recipe sites just load fast without all the bullshit and I can read the recipe right away! Wow!

It's fairly easy to set up as nerd poo poo like this goes, which is to say you'd probably have to install raspbian on a raspberry pi, then log in to it, give it a static ip, run one command to install pi-hole, and then log into your router and change one thing. e: also note that you can not do this with a raspberry pie

Just root Android and install one of the root ad blockers, but nice tip for overall network performance.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

poverty goat posted:

Is this an ad

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

If anyone in the chicago, rockford, milwaukee triangle needs pyrex or corningware the outlet store in huntley il is closing and everything is 75% off til they close on the 16th or sell out.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I bought these all clad 9in/11in French skillets a few months ago when they were $80. I'm looking to get a lid for one/both, and wondering if anyone had suggestions. My understanding is that they differ slightly from normal skillets. Would a regular 9/11 in skillet lid fit? Amazon has glass lids for ~15 (compared to ~50+ for an all clad lid) but I'm not sure if they will be work with the skillets. An oven safe lid is not something I think I need right now, but open to suggestions

Hoping to avoid having to take the skillets somewhere to test fit lids.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Cuisinart 8 piece tri-ply is Amazon's deal of the day

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Cuisinart 8 piece tri-ply is Amazon's deal of the day

All of my pots and pans are 5+ years old and I've been eyeballing this set. Anyone know if they're worth the $200 price tag?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nephzinho posted:

All of my pots and pans are 5+ years old and I've been eyeballing this set. Anyone know if they're worth the $200 price tag?

$200 for an entire set of tri-ply stuff is a bargain no matter how you look at it, so if you really do need to replace ALL of your pots and pans, I'd pull the trigger. If you only have one or two pieces you need to replace, I'd hold my horses.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
I just bought this set https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MCP-12N-MultiClad-Stainless-12-Piece/dp/B009JXPS6U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446463764&sr=8-1

From the OP 2 days ago. Should I return and buy the triply or not worth the effort?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

they're p. much the same except for copper, a few less pieces.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

hitachi posted:

I just bought this set https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MCP-12N-MultiClad-Stainless-12-Piece/dp/B009JXPS6U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446463764&sr=8-1

From the OP 2 days ago. Should I return and buy the triply or not worth the effort?

Keep them. Unless they're very expensive, the copper in most cookware sets will be very thin and mostly there for cosmetic reasons. As far as anyone can tell (we have a few users who have the All-Clad copper sets) copper doesn't have any noticeable advantage over aluminum clad cookware sets.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
IMHO just keep an eye out for D5 pieces as they randomly go on sale. They're better and it's much smarter than buying an entire set where they throw in a couple pieces you may not really use much.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The cuisinart he bought is solid, it's easy to use all pieces. I agree with most sets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
Thanks appreciate the advice.