Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Several days ago, maybe four days, I walked by those idiots doing welding jobs on the sidewalk using sunglasses for eye protection. I tried to look away but was a little too late. I've been seeing a floaty in one of my eyes ever since, and it doesn't seem to be going away. God loving drat it, China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"
the traditional cure for flash burn is to drink a bottle of vodka and spend the day in bed with a blanket over face cause that shits jut a waiting game

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/815600131559067648

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i would like to gently caress someones mother

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

"Taiwan" "Number" "One"

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Some_Like_It_Hot_(2016_film)

This Chinese movie came out on the 30th and people are getting triggered when I tell them there is already famous American movie from decades ago.

quote:

Co-directed by Song Xiaofei and Dong Xu, the movie is about an adventure of a man, upon hearing the news that his best friend died in an accident, breaks away from his boring life in search of love.

I don't get it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

poo poo anus aureum

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

"Bitch, motherfucker, oil."

So, nothing different...

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Act Do gently caress.

My 2017.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Sucker, motherfucker, bitch.

Sounds about right.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Where the hell did they get that? Someone's either trolling or daddy got them a job after they flunked out of their English major.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

nickmeister posted:

Was the process of owning a room in India complicated? From your stories and your anecdote about the American hippy who got Indian citizenship, India sounds more open to foreigners than East Asia.
I don't know if they changed some things recently, but they have very relaxed laws about foreigners doing anything there if they do it legally (and bribe the person).
You can arrive on a tourist visa and use a friend's address to get a legal SIM card that supposed to expire, but usually doesn't. You can go to a certain office (or get someone to go for you) and pay about 500 rupees ($8 USD), maybe a bribe, and get a type of resident permit that allows you to get a driver's license, open a real bank account, and do other stuff. They used to have insane interest rates on bank accounts (like up to 15% at one point) and I knew people that would go throw in $5k USD when they would leave and come back the next year and use the interest to pay for the time there.
If you pay more money, on the permits you can get a real resident permit that allows you stay there on a tourist visa for up to 10 years without leaving, or until your visa expires, if you are from countries that give long-duration visas. From there, you can do all sorts of stuff. These permits often let you do other stuff like lease things. I never really looked into all that is possible with these permits, despite having one myself.
Some laws regarding certain foreigners date back to partition or earlier, because of the British that lived in India trying to stay on after it split up (if I owned a palace in Delhi and didn't want to go back to Sheffield at partition, I sure as heck would have helped to put these laws into place at the time). There used to be 100 thousand Chinese living in India until partition, and Chinatowns in major Indian cities were a thing. Due to trying to gain independence and throw out the Muslims, they were pretty relaxed legally on most of the foreigners during the change. My last permit there invoked a law from 1947 about the residing of foreign nationals, and I thought that was pretty cool to be using it unchanged so many decades later.

Buying property as a foreigner is limited to usually a room/apartment/level of something owned by an Indian. As far as I know, foreigners cannot just go buy a house for themselves. You can, however, buy a lease (I think like 99 years) on an apartment or room from an Indian person or company and that's yours until it gets stolen back or the building falls down or something. It might not be totally "legal," but I have known tons of foreign people (on tourist permits) that own places and it has been fine with the courts and re-sale. Some of these people have paid $20k USD for places of their own and later sold them to other Indians and had no legal or monetary trouble.
Black money goes along with this, like all housing deals for Indians, but people who follow some rules and bribe for permits can easily buy something. Everything is controlled by bribes, even for Indians (who hate it so much), but it allows anyone to use the system. I bribed a.. I don't know what he is called, but he was in charge of permits and other things for foreigners and he made me up a paper using all these old laws and stamped and signed it and it was now legal and nobody could say otherwise. I showed it to some police one time and they saw the stamp from the court and didn't say anything, despite me knowing it was probably totally bogus, but now legal.

Anyway, you can do all sorts of dumb poo poo there as long as someone stamps it and you pay the bribe. I know white guys that own restaurants and shops, or are working there, technically illegally on their visas, but bribed the court and got the permits and the police can't do a thing and nothing is really illegal at that point.
I mentioned before that marrying an Indian will give the foreign spouse instant 5-year-stay visas until divorce or death. They carry a little more weight than a tourist visa, but you can pretty do anything on a tourist visa, so it's not a poo poo stay-at-home-can't-get-a-job visa like you'd get in other countries (like in China or the USA).

So it's easy for me to say "I want to retire in India" on the current laws. Maybe Trump will screw it all up and they'll change everything to spite the US. Either way, for now, India is really easy to stay in if you're from one of the countries with good ties with India.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Very interesting. Thanks!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Haier posted:

According to GBS, my life in two pictures:

lmao

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

People's Daily, China, ladies and gentlemen

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I know that this is China.jpg not India.jpg but can you go into a little bit about how the bribes work? Being from the US I am completely ignorant about bribing officials. Are they like "this will be $100 and take two weeks unless you "contribute $30 to my fund and then we can "expedite" it or are they more brazen and are like "I can get this done today if you slip me a $20"

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

The Great Autismo! posted:

People's Daily, China, ladies and gentlemen

lmao deleted

Anyone have a screenshot?

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
http://i.imgur.com/ji4rLgR.png

I'm on mobile so if this doesn't work or breaks tables then (blames foreigner)

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

blowfish posted:

lmao deleted

Anyone have a screenshot?

http://archive.is/mYGmP

also note the levon wei tweet in the responses :allears:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Imperialist Dog posted:

http://i.imgur.com/ji4rLgR.png

I'm on mobile so if this doesn't work or breaks tables then (blames foreigner)

And I was worried

beep-beep car is go posted:

I know that this is China.jpg not India.jpg but can you go into a little bit about how the bribes work?

You mean fees and fines.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
This is about as much effort as I want to invest in this, feel free to add any more you find.
My favourites have to be "Bieber", "Witebastard" and "ESOLtest".

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Penis backwards below Bieber

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

What's the standard bribe for these things. Do you kinda feel it out or is it like an American tip wher e you use the value of the service and bribe 20%

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
ESOLTest actually turns into Testicles lol

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

I know that this is China.jpg not India.jpg but can you go into a little bit about how the bribes work? Being from the US I am completely ignorant about bribing officials. Are they like "this will be $100 and take two weeks unless you "contribute $30 to my fund and then we can "expedite" it or are they more brazen and are like "I can get this done today if you slip me a $20"
India has all sorts of bribes built into its culture at this time, and most of the locals hate it very much. It's very much a shameless, direct transaction. Unless it's in public or could get them in trouble (or force them to share the money), people outright say what they want. A lot of of the people are all connected and everyone will get their cut, so it's not like you can report someone to someone else and think something will happen.

For some places and guys it's basically "Saar, this form will take about two to four weeks to process. There is a compulsory "fee" of 1000 rupees for my service, and if you don't pay, maybe your form will instead take two to four years to process, if I don't lose it." This can be on top of the fee you are already paying (like on a loan or registration, etc) - For this type, you are paying them money to do their drat job and it's stupid. This is what Indians hate the most, because it's a pointless bribe done by passive-aggressive idiots who want extra money to do what they are already paid to do. Someone gets paid a salary and says they won't do their job for someone unless it comes with a tip. This can happen in anything from getting your car fixed, setting up a phone line, or getting a government document approved. Everyone hates this, as it's become almost standard and reflects a lovely part of their society and the apathy a lot of people end up in. It's pure laziness and arrogance, and there's no way to get around it if you really need something done. You can not pay, and never get what you need, or you can beat the poo poo out of the guy and never get what you need. Some guys get beat, as they should be.
Imagine having to "bribe" a guy to send an email for you, that he is already paid to do and it is his entire job, and if you don't pay him his extortion money he will just not do his job and sit on his fat rear end? Frustrating as hell for everyone.

At the same time, with other guys you can say "Hai, bhai, I really need this form to go through ASAP, and I have some amendments I need approved that might seem difficult and maybe it's not legal/normal, but if I pay you X and the other guy down the line Y, then do you think you can do this for me?" - This is you gaming the system and getting what you want, and the other guys get paid more for doing their job and maybe something they shouldn't be doing.

Then there are "Get rid of this problem for me, I don't care what it takes. Don't tell me how you did it, that makes me liable." This happens a lot more often than necessary. One guy I used to see every day got stabbed because some dudes wanted the property to develop and sell. Luckily, they were retarded and there were about 30+ witnesses, and the whole crew got arrested and sentenced harshly and will probably die in jail.

Also, there are the preemptive bribes so someone will look favorably on you or do something on your behalf when the time comes (much like in politics).

The last time I did a bribe I went to a lawyer, who was friends with the court, and he took my information and money and then it was "I want to make this totally fake paper that allows my client to do something he probably shouldn't be doing. Here is a bunch of money. Thanks." They typed it up, signed it, stamped it, and I got it five days later.

Blistex posted:

This is about as much effort as I want to invest in this, feel free to add any more you find.
My favourites have to be "Bieber", "Witebastard" and "ESOLtest".

Someone on Twitter said TESTICLES was in there, but I can't find it.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Bieber, motherfucker, ISIS (backwards vertically, using the Ss from pussy and masturbate)

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Haier posted:

Bribes.jpg

That was super interesting, thanks! Is the surprise change in bills related to trying to curb the bribery, or is it just about removing the black money.

Oh! I wonder if anyone is selling their bad bills on eBay or something for collectors.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

That was super interesting, thanks! Is the surprise change in bills related to trying to curb the bribery, or is it just about removing the black money.

Oh! I wonder if anyone is selling their bad bills on eBay or something for collectors.

Bribe culture is not going anywhere soon in India, but the recent "black money massacre" will really piss off the people who were making a living off of bribes and cut into their savings. What will probably happen is that everyone is going to double-down on their bribe collections now that their nest eggs have been cracked..

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It pretty much endemic in India, basically any sort of interaction with government even things like collecting benefits involves paying a fee to "expedite" the process.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I thought the money massacre was mostly a way to get black money back into the banking system to help the banks

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Haier posted:

India has all sorts of bribes built into its culture at this time, and most of the locals hate it very much. It's very much a shameless, direct transaction. Unless it's in public or could get them in trouble (or force them to share the money), people outright say what they want. A lot of of the people are all connected and everyone will get their cut, so it's not like you can report someone to someone else and think something will happen.

For some places and guys it's basically "Saar, this form will take about two to four weeks to process. There is a compulsory "fee" of 1000 rupees for my service, and if you don't pay, maybe your form will instead take two to four years to process, if I don't lose it." This can be on top of the fee you are already paying (like on a loan or registration, etc) - For this type, you are paying them money to do their drat job and it's stupid. This is what Indians hate the most, because it's a pointless bribe done by passive-aggressive idiots who want extra money to do what they are already paid to do. Someone gets paid a salary and says they won't do their job for someone unless it comes with a tip. This can happen in anything from getting your car fixed, setting up a phone line, or getting a government document approved. Everyone hates this, as it's become almost standard and reflects a lovely part of their society and the apathy a lot of people end up in. It's pure laziness and arrogance, and there's no way to get around it if you really need something done. You can not pay, and never get what you need, or you can beat the poo poo out of the guy and never get what you need. Some guys get beat, as they should be.
Imagine having to "bribe" a guy to send an email for you, that he is already paid to do and it is his entire job, and if you don't pay him his extortion money he will just not do his job and sit on his fat rear end? Frustrating as hell for everyone.

At the same time, with other guys you can say "Hai, bhai, I really need this form to go through ASAP, and I have some amendments I need approved that might seem difficult and maybe it's not legal/normal, but if I pay you X and the other guy down the line Y, then do you think you can do this for me?" - This is you gaming the system and getting what you want, and the other guys get paid more for doing their job and maybe something they shouldn't be doing.

Then there are "Get rid of this problem for me, I don't care what it takes. Don't tell me how you did it, that makes me liable." This happens a lot more often than necessary. One guy I used to see every day got stabbed because some dudes wanted the property to develop and sell. Luckily, they were retarded and there were about 30+ witnesses, and the whole crew got arrested and sentenced harshly and will probably die in jail.

Also, there are the preemptive bribes so someone will look favorably on you or do something on your behalf when the time comes (much like in politics).

The last time I did a bribe I went to a lawyer, who was friends with the court, and he took my information and money and then it was "I want to make this totally fake paper that allows my client to do something he probably shouldn't be doing. Here is a bunch of money. Thanks." They typed it up, signed it, stamped it, and I got it five days later.

Someone in my lab (UK) is trying to get paperwork for a secondment to an Indian lab. For some reason probably involving a desire to do things by the book, she needs paperwork from Indian officials in India. About a year later she still hasn't gotten a single thing, possibly because it's not practical to bribe people by email.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Haier posted:

Bribes.txt

Don't they have any hidden-camera TV shows on Indian TV where they try to shame folks who are caught on camera trying to get bribes?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Switzerland posted:

Don't they have any hidden-camera TV shows on Indian TV where they try to shame folks who are caught on camera trying to get bribes?

The production company is still waiting for that envelope. <wink, wink>

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Haier posted:

This is true, IMO, and I think if it were not on a Saturday this year it really would have been dead outside. People don't get the next day off or anything. Because it's the time before Chinese new year, many are forced to work on weekends until that holiday to "make up for the days they will have off." It's bullshit.

There was a ton going on in my city for new years, bars were all packed and there were outdoor (lol @ pollution) concerts and other events all over the place that I saw. Friday was annoying cuz they were setting up a big stage in the courtyard by my office and doing sound tests for some big fireworks/concert thing that was gonna happen. I actually passed a bunch of college kids skateboarding on my way to a bar on NYE and thought of you haha.

And there is a day off like there always is. Monday was a national holiday here and p much all offices and schools were closed, it's actually one of the only "true" days off with the stupid "work weekends so you work like 8 days straight before major holidays" things. But like anywhere people in retail and what not get screwed over and always have to work. I love how HR sends out messages like "you get 3 days off for the new year holiday! Saturday, sunday and monday!!!" oh boy, we get the weekend off!!

I actually wonder how much longer that arrangement will last because people all hate it and I see nothing but complaints whenever CNY or national day roll around. it's only been this way for 4~ years or so so it's new enough everyone still hates on it.

Sometimes the mass protests do have an effect, even if it's a lovely one. They protested the construction chemical plant so much here in Sichuan they had to roll censorship out on the name of a city with over 1,000,000 people which just got everyone else in the country to wonder why that had been censored and then it got even more traction nationally (plant still got built though, obviously).

Also the air in Chengdu and Chongqing seldom get Beijing-bad but are generally still p awful. This year for some reason everyone decided to complain and hold so many protests so much the government couldn't keep up and then suddenly it was very good air for like 3 days, then it got bad again and they blamed it on the barbecue stalls on the streets which they said they'd crack down on "to stop pollution" which got people even more angry.

Last year I remember they blamed the pollution on everyone making smoked meat in January which also didn't go over well.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
SUBWAY AD, BEIJING:

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

they're selling that kludged together poo poo for ~$40. you can get a 3m half facepiece respirator and filter set that actually works for that price. :mad:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
how the gently caress is there not a goddamn real cyberpunk china game

and no dues ecks does not count; I mean just in China, not just for a level or two

I guess there's Shadowrun: HK but we all know that aint real china

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Boo whoo, little Hong Kong is trying to subvert CCP threatening to destabilise China. Starts drawing arbitrary lines they themselves will abandon at in the first moment of inconvenience. The autistic screeching continues.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2017/01/03/china-says-hong-kong-must-not-used-infiltrate-subvert-mainland/

quote:

China warned Hong Kong it would not tolerate anyone using the city to damage mainland stability, Beijing’s top official in the city said, as concerns rise over an emerging independence movement.

Tensions have flared in the semi-autonomous territory after the ousting of two pro-independence lawmakers ignited fresh concern over Beijing’s tightening controls on Hong Kong, which enjoys a separate political and legal system from the mainland. Britain handed Hong Kong back to China in 1997 under a deal which gives the city broad autonomy and preserves its freedoms and the rule of law for 50 years. But many warn these freedoms are being eroded by Beijing.

In an interview with state broadcaster CCTV late Sunday, the head of China’s liaison office in Hong Kong, Zhang Xiaoming, said that controlling the city’s independence movement requires strengthening “bottom-line awareness” among its people.

“As for Hong Kong, no one is permitted to engage in any form of activity that harms national sovereignty and security, or challenges the authority of the central government or Hong Kong’s Basic Law, or uses Hong Kong to infiltrate and subvert the mainland’s social and political stability,” Zhang said.

“These are the three bottom lines.”

Hey, China, look over here yes, good "gently caress YOU CHINA".

Deceitful Penguin posted:

how the gently caress is there not a goddamn real cyberpunk china game

and no dues ecks does not count; I mean just in China, not just for a level or two

I guess there's Shadowrun: HK but we all know that aint real china

People like to see the game they are playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I introduced my Texan friend's Mainland girlfriend to tacos last night. She was blown away. She's from Sichuan and considers herself to be the queen of spicy, but discovered for the first time last night that peppers come in multiple flavors. She's cooked for us a few times and while it doesn't taste bad, I'm guessing the giant bag of salt she keeps on her counter is the main ingredient. I tried to explain to her that unless a recipe specifically calls for salt, like baking a cake or something, there's usually no reason to add any since any pre-made sauce or seasoning she's using will also have salt in it.

Deaf ears.

• Locked thread