Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, it's basically HK fansub quality level. It's not entirely incoherent but it stumbles on a lot of stuff, especially with regards to humor/puns/ect and a lot of the word choice is clearly not something ever run by an editor.

This is about the 'average' level basically. At worst you get bizarre incoherence.

Haha, "Orthodox Super Robot" is sublime. I'm into it. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's worth noting that the hk english g generation game was a lot better translated - still stiff, but a lot closer to, say, a PS1 JRPG translation - so if that was by the same tl team, SRW V might be better than MD.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm sure you can follow the story with MD's translation and that's fine, but looking at that translation just makes me think of how far back we've come from "sweediculous."

e: actually this might be an issue with Ryusei's character development more than what the translation itself did, since his reaction to a new class of machine is "yeah that sure is a super robot, nice :downs:."

Caphi fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 28, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ryusei is growing up. Soon he'll get a job, start wearing suits and never get unreasonably excited about anything.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Same. :smith:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Levantine posted:

Haha, "Orthodox Super Robot" is sublime. I'm into it. Thanks!
In this case I think "orthodox" (in English) was the word used in the Japanese.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Samurai Sanders posted:

In this case I think "orthodox" (in English) was the word used in the Japanese.

If I remember right it's 王道 but "orthodox" is a reasonably accurate word translation.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Caphi posted:

If I remember right it's 王道 but "orthodox" is a reasonably accurate word translation.

I'd have found it hard to resist going with "righteous" for that translation.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Ryusei is growing up. Soon he'll get a job, start wearing suits and never get unreasonably excited about anything.
I'm not sure I'll be ready for the day we get Admiral Ryusei Date.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm not sure I'll be ready for the day we get Admiral Ryusei Date.

He will be old and have a grey beard and his carrier will seem completely average and boring.

Until he reveals that it is the Valstork 7.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

He will be old and have a grey beard and his carrier will seem completely average and boring.

Until he reveals that it is the Valstork 7.

Honestly?

I could see it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

Honestly?

I could see it.

... poo poo, you're right.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It all makes sense! Ryusei invents the Database to learn about every robot in history, and designs a new transforming Real with an SRX docking system so sweediculous the body has to be carrier-sized. He gets a chance to influence the birth of a new universe and of course reality is now based around awesome mecha to the point that even aliens are basically humanoid robots, not to mention the existence of G Stones.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

except for the part where ryusei got laid

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Look I know it looks hopeless for Lat and Mai (is Aya still in this? I can never tell) but if there's one constant I know in SRW, it's that no matter how dense the thing is, if you surround it with enough bodies and hit it with anime over and over again, it may feel like forever but eventually it'll break and drama will resume.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Caphi posted:

Honestly?

I could see it.
The fact that Ryusei hasn't grown out his sideburns to match hot-blooded super robot pilots is astounding.

Unless there's some very weird dress code regulations in the OG universe, wherein mustaches and mullets are fine, but mutton chops are a no-go.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

The fact that Ryusei hasn't grown out his sideburns to match hot-blooded super robot pilots is astounding.

Unless there's some very weird dress code regulations in the OG universe, wherein mustaches and mullets are fine, but mutton chops are a no-go.

maybe his sideburns grow really shittily

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Caphi posted:

(is Aya still in this? I can never tell)

Aya will end up with Viletta, just you wait.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
The entire SRX Team gets together, the Banpreios HTB Cannon gets four Love bonuses at once, the resulting damage blows up the game in real life.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ZuljinRaynor posted:

Man, the second/last stage of CCA in GGG is really long and getting Char's Get Guage filled was the most annoying thing about it. Pretty easy but I had to have Char shoot down like every Jeagan and I think 4 nukes which took a lot of turns.

I did not like how Amuro does not say that he will use Gundam to push back that worthless piece of rock, but when Axis splits, the battle background does look pretty cool.

Beyond the Time would have been great there.

Also, is there a list of cut-ins for what pilot needs to be in what MS? Zeta Haman has no cut ins in the Qubeley. I assume ZZ Haman does but they really dropped the ball on the cut ins. Like SRWZ3's lazy face pop ins would have been appreciated.

Edit: I am dumb, Qubeley has a Vigor attack and that has a cut in for Z Haman.

Here's my advice for filling the Get Gauge: Unless its in the OYW portion or a warship, don't. Everything starts taking way too long and you have to feed them so many kills it takes forever. Quests that require filling the get gauge to unlock a character will autocomplete if you have that unit in your list when you play a stage that you could otherwise fill the thing on, eg: get the Titans Mk.II and then Kamille will unlock on the first stage of Zeta for 0 effort. When you get to Hathaway's stages do NOT try and fill the Xi or Penelope because it's actually for real almost impossible without giving them 100% of the kills on one stage and actually impossible on another because it leaves, just fill a Messer's gauge instead and evolve that into the thing instead.

Here's a list of cut-ins. It's missing at least (but maybe only) one in OYW Bright in the White Base. I haven't found any others not on that list though. there's special scenes for teams doing attacks, like Amuro, Kai and Hayato in the Gundam, Guncannon and Guntank respectively, two OG guys in a Phoenix and a Phoenix/Tornado. The Blue Destiny boys have one, 08thMS Team, White Dingo team I think have one for being in GMs, I'd imagine each 3 man team with special units will have one.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Well I beat Alpha 3. Didn't quite get enough skill points to get the Good Ending, but according to the guide I was reading, it didn't seem like it was all that different other than getting Irui. Kaiser Elphes was... kind of a chump honestly. Maybe it was just because they handed out Zeal to every character and their dog, but getting through 650k health or whatever it was was easy enough to pull off in a single round. When my Getter and Dancouga Squad were getting 4 attacks each, and most of the other ones were getting at least 2, he dropped pretty quickly. Other than him getting one shot through on Judau (20% chance to hit) during the approach, it was probably the easiest final boss I've seen in a SRW to date.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!

EthanSteele posted:

Here's my advice for filling the Get Gauge: Unless its in the OYW portion or a warship, don't. Everything starts taking way too long and you have to feed them so many kills it takes forever. Quests that require filling the get gauge to unlock a character will autocomplete if you have that unit in your list when you play a stage that you could otherwise fill the thing on, eg: get the Titans Mk.II and then Kamille will unlock on the first stage of Zeta for 0 effort. When you get to Hathaway's stages do NOT try and fill the Xi or Penelope because it's actually for real almost impossible without giving them 100% of the kills on one stage and actually impossible on another because it leaves, just fill a Messer's gauge instead and evolve that into the thing instead.

Yeah, I found out that a filled Get Gauge gives the quest rewards accidentally. I think it was for Judau in ZZ, but I forget. Anyway it was good because I was worried what would happen if I could not fill a Get Gauge.

All the OYW gauges fill in like 8 kills but everything else takes forever. What's the point of this feature if it is such a huge hassel later on? Well, most of the game is OYW so I guess it's not too big of a deal.

Thanks for the heads up for HF.

EthanSteele posted:

Here's a list of cut-ins. It's missing at least (but maybe only) one in OYW Bright in the White Base. I haven't found any others not on that list though. there's special scenes for teams doing attacks, like Amuro, Kai and Hayato in the Gundam, Guncannon and Guntank respectively, two OG guys in a Phoenix and a Phoenix/Tornado. The Blue Destiny boys have one, 08thMS Team, White Dingo team I think have one for being in GMs, I'd imagine each 3 man team with special units will have one.

Thanks for this list. Very disappointing in it's length. Shame that Sayla gets shafted. Also the Gundam Team in ZZ having nothing seems lame.

I really hope they fix that in a future one. They have all their models and animations done, so now they can work on cut ins.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ZuljinRaynor posted:

All the OYW gauges fill in like 8 kills but everything else takes forever. What's the point of this feature if it is such a huge hassel later on? Well, most of the game is OYW so I guess it's not too big of a deal.

Thanks for this list. Very disappointing in it's length. Shame that Sayla gets shafted. Also the Gundam Team in ZZ having nothing seems lame.

I really hope they fix that in a future one. They have all their models and animations done, so now they can work on cut ins.

I think the idea on more powerful things taking so much more is to discourage you from just going to Unicorn and getting the most powerful units in the game super easily and then steamrolling everything. I mean you can still do that, but it takes a bit more effort and dedication than "get 5 kills and one of the Unknown reinforcements" that OYW units take.

The list is really disappointing, right? Thirty-something cut-ins and 9 of them are Amuro and Char (and 5 of those are the CCA Amuro and Char), I appreciate that they went so far as to do lip syncing for the cut ins, but I'd honestly much rather have SRW style generic ones for everybody no matter what unit they are in than only a few super well animated ones that restrict what unit you can use. Cima doesn't even have one for the Gerbera Tetra, only her Gelgoog!

Maybe there'll be more next game, along with subtitles for attack animations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is the idea of the deluxe 12k yen edition of V that you use the vocal tracks in the game, or just listen to them as a normal sountrack? Also if it's one of those completely shitheaded soundtrack apps like Square-Enix has made recently I want nothing to do with it.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

EthanSteele posted:

Speaking of Gundam GGG, I'm having trouble with it. Not used to my units running out of energy so quickly and/or having trouble dodging. It's certainly harder than any SRW i've played. While the above is good to know does anyone have any advice for someone new to the series on things I should know?

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!

EthanSteele posted:

The list is really disappointing, right? Thirty-something cut-ins and 9 of them are Amuro and Char (and 5 of those are the CCA Amuro and Char), I appreciate that they went so far as to do lip syncing for the cut ins, but I'd honestly much rather have SRW style generic ones for everybody no matter what unit they are in than only a few super well animated ones that restrict what unit you can use. Cima doesn't even have one for the Gerbera Tetra, only her Gelgoog!

Maybe there'll be more next game, along with subtitles for attack animations.

You unlock Cima with the Gerbera Tetra so that makes it even more strange. I remember getting her and then trying all the attacks and nothing.

Definitely would like generic looking ones. If they do another crossover one and everyone does not get a cut in for God Finger, that would be a travesty.

Nyeehg posted:

Speaking of Gundam GGG, I'm having trouble with it. Not used to my units running out of energy so quickly and/or having trouble dodging. It's certainly harder than any SRW i've played. While the above is good to know does anyone have any advice for someone new to the series on things I should know?

Get your units back on warships for repairs. Your Master will regen HP and MP so you can over extend with them a bit but always get back to the ship for repairs and refueling. If you have an MS that can purge (Perfect Gundam is an early MS that can purge and turn into Gundam), then you can keep fighting as the post-purge unit has full HP/EN. Oh I love purge so much.

These are just some things I have figured out. This is the first one I have really played and it definitely feels hard at first. I developed a Core Fighter all the way to ZZ (and then Full Armor ZZ) and that has really killed the difficulty in some places. (It won't save you from A Baoa Qu, though, as your team is separated from White Base who is reinforced by GMs and Balls and that makes that level pretty hard).

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

AradoBalanga posted:

I grow my sideburns out most of the time and if anyone asks i just say I have to be prepared in case I ever need to pilot a super robot.

edit: maybe I should start saying "again" at the end there

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 30, 2016

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The actual tools to pilot a super robot are handmade snacks and a ribbon wrapped around your forehead (I assume in this case it says "courage" and "love").

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Min Mei doll, Haro, and the Big Book of Critical Hits.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Nyeehg posted:

Keep your guys in their respective auras and try to have at least one dude with a shield in a squad for support defends, all 4 is really good for being able to spread damage out if one unit gets targeted a lot. For energy you're expected to return to the ship every now and then or use your skills, but eventually you end up with enough that you'll kill everything before you run out, though the regen items go a long way as some dudes are always thirsty EN wise. Once you hit about 200 you should be good for most stages on normal if you don't rambo it with one guy and spread stuff out. There's also the 20% cheaper melee/ranged move ability which has squeezed out more than one extra attack multiple times for me. Group Attacks from the ship are good at softening stuff up too!

Once your pilots level up a bit they'll start taking up the slack for the less dodgy stuff and then you'll hit about Zeta level units and never look at more than 10% chance until higher difficulties.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Gunpla.... IS FREEDOM!

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
That is really cool.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Wait a minute, is Chitose still the first female SRW protagonist since Setsuko?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Inferno-sama posted:

That is really cool.
Regarding your avatar, maybe my memory is wrong but isn't the scene where he is eating that burger right before he gets the poo poo kicked out of him by a bunch of Titans?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

Wait a minute, is Chitose still the first female SRW protagonist since Setsuko?
Est- uh

yeah, I'm pretty sure even X-Omega only gives you a male unit to start out with, with no choice.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I wasn't following Z2R's advertisement, did they actually pretend like Esther was the protagonist? Crowe was established as the Wavering Scales but she could have been something else (in retrospect, the Dreaming Fishes - as a Pisces I'd have appreciated it) and Crowe would have completed his arc as a supporting character, like the Alphas. All his development centered around Esther anyway, even in the Z2R we got.

Speaking of which, remember when I thought Suzune was going to be half of the Twins?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

I wasn't following Z2R's advertisement, did they actually pretend like Esther was the protagonist? Crowe was established as the Wavering Scales but she could have been something else (in retrospect, the Dreaming Fishes - as a Pisces I'd have appreciated it) and Crowe would have completed his arc as a supporting character, like the Alphas. All his development centered around Esther anyway, even in the Z2R we got.
From cursory googling, kind of? There's some promo scans that show Crowe but the 'and the SRWZ originals are returning!' scan has Esther's mech lined up with theirs, with no Crowe in sight, and there's even a magazine scan that has screencaps of Esther and Marilyn fighting, like they've got some kind of rivalry going on.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I guess if it was Esther, Land and Setsuko in a line-up it could have been like a "more of Z2, which is about Crowe Bruest, and also all these original characters you know are in there!" I dunno.

I remain genuinely excited for an all-new, coherent, self-contained console SRW and I kind of hope it has no sequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i feel like if they had any plans for a sequel they would have put Nadeisco TV in so Prince of Darkness could be in the sequel? because that's a really obvious thing to do. Same with putting in Seed Destiny instead of regular SEED, or listing FMP Second Raid and Light Novels instead of saving that material for later. Or just doing the 00 movie right out of the gate. Like, if Z2 had listed both Geass and Geass R2, I wouldn't have expected a Z2.2.

• Locked thread