Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I went to high school near pantex. We had radition drills like some schools have fire drills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Baloogan posted:

plz update us on moldering status

molded like a mofo

deep sixed if you will

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

chitoryu12 posted:

I think you only really get the kind of state susceptible to a civil war when you're already at a fairly high level of chaos and sectarian violence. The United States, for all its problems, is a very stable society with a relatively high standard of living. It may not be super awesome compared to some Scandinavian paradise, but when you take it in the context of the United States vs. Turkey you can see a marked difference.

While I doubt American soldiers would eagerly start blowing up their fellow citizens in Texas and would probably rebel against authority if ordered to do so, the fact remains that this scenario is extremely unlikely to begin with. We're not the kind of country where protesters get machine gunned in the streets, or the Bundys get supplied with ATGMs and up-armored Humvees by Saudi Arabia to press their attack on Washington DC. And honestly, life is pretty drat good in America compared to just about every country that's seen a coup or civil war in recent decades. This makes it hard for a true revolution to form, which is why you just get scenarios like Malheur instead of American Spring.

yeah this exactly, but on the same token it's dangerous to assume that if it ever does happen, no matter how unlikely, that the military would be a cohesive force for the government

like for every dude applying aid to a wounded combatant with mercy and great care, there's another dude slamming Rip It's and making racist jokes at a more than comfortable rate

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

again, you're making the mistake of assuming people in the military don't side with a true secessionist movement

like, my grandfather was John Brown, captured by a Marine force led by guess who? Robert E Lee

At the same time, you're assuming that secessionists or insurrectionists wouldn't piss off members of the military. I recall, during the whole Sandy Hook debate, some gun writer talking about the same thing, that the military wouldn't follow orders to confiscate weapons. When someone pointed that they've done this before in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Bosnia as part of their peacekeeping and counter-insurgency operations and we had weapons confiscation going on following Hurricane Katrina, the same guy essentially justified a terrorist campaign against military personnel and their family members to cow them into disobeying orders. The cognitive dissonance present in that dialogue was outstanding, guy couldn't fathom that would basically vindicate a military response.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Oh I'm not suggesting that any type of insurrection will lead to the military fragmenting, obviously that's not the case. What I am saying is whenever the topic comes up, or just the 2nd Amendment aspect of being armed against a tyrannical government, someone will invariably waltz in and make a blanket statement to the effect of "fuckin rednecks will get squashed like a bug by ARE MILITARY". That's a dangerous sentiment to have, and discounts the fact that the military is human, too.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
this discussion makes me think of the Bonus Army, where not only did the military happily deploy against civilian protesters, but they kept going even after the president ordered them to stop because the general commanding the effort thought they were all dirty commies plotting to overthrow the country

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
it's worth pointing out that the heavy handed response cost Hoover reelection in part and FDR paid them their bonus

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Baloogan posted:

um theres LOADS of nukes on the coasts

OMG that platinum grenade! Wow. Wait, is this like marking jews with a star of david? ARe they going to exterminate the canadians? :ohdear:

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

OMG that platinum grenade! Wow. Wait, is this like marking jews with a star of david? ARe they going to exterminate the canadians? :ohdear:

Yeah, Trump's gonna start with Lorne Michaels from the looks of it

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
that's what he gets for firing Norm

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Baloogan posted:

plz update us on moldering status

Moldering status: still.

Also because it's a less-known bit of Harper's Ferry trivia: Lee's adjutant during the raid was JEB! Stuart.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
it's pretty hilarious how many West Point grads went on to fight for the Confederacy

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

VikingSkull posted:

it's pretty hilarious how many West Point grads went on to fight for the Confederacy

For some classes, I think it might have been more than half.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

this discussion makes me think of the Bonus Army, where not only did the military happily deploy against civilian protestersother veterans, but they kept going even after the president ordered them to stop because the generalDouglas MacArthur commanding the effort thought they were all dirty commies plotting to overthrow the country

FTFY. U.S. soldiers fighting war veterans asking for their fair shake is a shameful episode in American history and it's another reason why MacArthur is a shitheel.

VikingSkull posted:

That was largely because plantation owners would send their sons to military school than stay on the plantation where they'd get into trouble loving slaves. They did the same to their daughters, it's why the South developed that whole debutante culture, because they'd go to finishing schools when they were teenagers to avoid getting into a Mandingo situation with the slaves.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mr. Nice! posted:

I went to high school near pantex. We had radition drills like some schools have fire drills.

You went to Panhandle High School and had rich parents.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Young Freud posted:

That was largely because plantation owners would send their sons to military school than stay on the plantation where they'd get into trouble loving slaves. They did the same to their daughters, it's why the South developed that whole debutante culture, because they'd go to finishing schools when they were teenagers to avoid getting into a Mandingo situation with the slaves.

Sherman should have burned the Citadel sooner IMO

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

You went to Panhandle High School and had rich parents.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:lol:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Wasn't it more like the firstborn son inherited the plantation, which was most of the parents' material wealth, and there was basically no other choice but military or business school for the second/third/etc?

There was a discussion about the long history of the useless FailSons of the wealthy getting bullshit jobs and just enough money to not embarrass themselves on chapo trap house a few months ago, a rich tradition that continues to this day.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

red19fire posted:

Wasn't it more like the firstborn son inherited the plantation, which was most of the parents' material wealth, and there was basically no other choice but military or business school for the second/third/etc?

There was a discussion about the long history of the useless FailSons of the wealthy getting bullshit jobs and just enough money to not embarrass themselves on chapo trap house a few months ago, a rich tradition that continues to this day.

I believed that happened as well, but the thing I recall about the firstborn stuff is that it led to situations where an owner's widow would intentionally sleep with a slave to bear a son or elevate an illegitimate heir sired from slave rape so they can keep the property, which led to the wonderful tradition of southerners claiming they had "Cherokee princess" somewhere in their bloodline to explain why they have darker skin than most.

I believe there was a famous case where a plantation owner discovered he was a product of slave rape, from slaves that he inherited. He couldn't free them, since the way the South worked, they'd just be enslaved down the road thanks to the fugitive slave acts, so he kept them, never left the plantation, and treated them as an extended family (because they were) until Emancipation Proclamation made it down to his area at the end of the war.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

red19fire posted:

There was also the romantic mythology that the South was the inheritors of the Cavalier tradition of pre-Civil War* England, which lent influence martial culture along those lines up to and including, believe it or not, the holding of jousting tourneys throughout the antebellum period.

*To be clear, I'm referring to the actual 17th century English Civil War here.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Did you know? Jousting is the state sport of Maryland.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Captain_Maclaine posted:

There was also the romantic mythology that the South was the inheritors of the Cavalier tradition of pre-Civil War* England, which lent influence martial culture along those lines up to and including, believe it or not, the holding of jousting tourneys throughout the antebellum period.

*To be clear, I'm referring to the actual 17th century English Civil War here.

don't forget southern honor culture that bound up your reputation w/ your ability to borrow money/run your lands economically and your ability to bust a fool using a pistol or sword

the south was a super hosed up place back then and new orleans held onto it longer than almost anywhere else. in city park there's this big beautiful oak called the dueling oak that's a popular place to take wedding photos. it's the survivor of a pair of oaks that was a popular spot to kill guys in duels

that park also has a suicide oak nearby for the ladies since they were often also financially ruined by dueling

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Sorry didn't mean to be creepy. My dad works at Pantex and I grew up in Amarillo so Panhandle High is the only school I know of that would be close enough to bother with radiation drills. Panhandle is also a rich suburb so v:shobon:v

Tornado Drills were the thing I most remember.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm old enough that I remember when air raid drills changed to "weather" drills in my school

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sorry didn't mean to be creepy. My dad works at Pantex and I grew up in Amarillo so Panhandle High is the only school I know of that would be close enough to bother with radiation drills. Panhandle is also a rich suburb so v:shobon:v

Tornado Drills were the thing I most remember.

There's an entire k-12 school district that's closer to BWXT than Panhandle. People attending highland park are far from wealthy, though. Also ive never thought as panhandle as more than another dying west Texas town. It's not like some Newport of the panhandle or anything.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's an entire k-12 school district that's closer to BWXT than Panhandle. People attending highland park are far from wealthy, though. Also ive never thought as panhandle as more than another dying west Texas town. It's not like some Newport of the panhandle or anything.

Well "rich" for the area, considering that the plant is the number 1 economic engine for the area, that and the state prison.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Well "rich" for the area, considering that the plant is the number 1 economic engine for the area, that and the state prison.

I mean Canyon is more an affluent suburb (if we're calling towns half an hour away suburbs) of Amarillo than Panhandle. All the real rich people live in the various communities outside of town anyways.

But out near highland park there is massive amounts of industry - tyson beef packing, BWXT, asarco, the power plant, clements and neil units, etc. Massive tax revenues and the desire to avoid losing all said money to robin hood is why all the students out at highland park are given laptops instead of books to start the school year. All of that for students that are mostly dirt poor and either live in trailers or old cinderblock former air base housing.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Don't let his mild demeanor fool you, Mr. Nice is the captain of a burgeoning taco empire and almost a lawyer.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

VikingSkull posted:

I'm old enough that I remember when air raid drills changed to "weather" drills in my school

I'm old enough that I remember when public buildings still had fallout shelter signs on them, and had a friendly janitor give my friends and me a tour of the largely forgotten civil defense bunker under my high school.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm old enough that I remember when public buildings still had fallout shelter signs on them, and had a friendly janitor give my friends and me a tour of the largely forgotten civil defense bunker under my high school.

yup, those were the poo poo I have one somewhere

you can still find them sometimes, if you've never seen them they are usually yellow with the radiological symbol on them and they don't mean the building is radioactive, they are just there to tell the army where the stack of bodies is for easier disposal

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

VikingSkull posted:

yup, those were the poo poo I have one somewhere

you can still find them sometimes, if you've never seen them they are usually yellow with the radiological symbol on them and they don't mean the building is radioactive, they are just there to tell the army where the stack of bodies is for easier disposal

I haven't seen one in a long time now. I remember that even in the 1980s the signs were fading and dilapidated where they still existed.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
yeah I can't remember the last one I saw I just know it was only a few years ago, the building was all overgrown and abandoned too

also thank the lord if you never heard one of these or similar go off

I still get a twinge whenever the EAS goes off (which seems to happen a lot nowadays)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
dylan roof decided to represent himself so that no embarrassing evidence would come out. dedication to die so you don't embarrass family

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
he's a great case in favor of the death penalty IMO

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
no he should be studied like an animal

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
its not very chistian of me but id love to see death row gladiator fights

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

VikingSkull posted:

This statement is always wrong.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

syscall girl posted:

This statement is always wrong.

I'm not in favor of it generally but in the case of a mass shooter who totally admits it and is unapologetic, and worse still does it based on such a bullshit cause as "lol different race" I can make an exception

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

VikingSkull posted:

The only moral killings...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

VikingSkull posted:

I'm not in favor of it generally but in the case of a mass shooter who totally admits it and is unapologetic, and worse still does it based on such a bullshit cause as "lol different race" I can make an exception

I think I have a better argument.

The murderer* gets put away from society for the rest of his or her life. In a nice little cottage patrolled by nice police guard types until they die of natural causes like not getting a PS4.

Then we all mock them.

*assuming murder is totally real

e: we don't kill because we're better, we as a society just prevent those who are obviously murderous from hurting others

we can totally look down on them though