Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hand Row posted:

Monroe is very efficient and is in better shape so he rotates better on defense. Still ground bound but at least rotates.

Plumlee is secretly the worst contract from this offseason. He started the year but soon fell out of the rotation. There's a wasteman.

Thon Maker owns though but has no idea what he is doing right now. Sweet three point shot though.

I swear you defended the Plumlee deal saying he was really good in the second half of the season and way better than John Henson. I also swear that like 4 years ago you also thought Henson was really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I know there's a taboo against sending top ten picks to the D-league, but Bender really needs it bad.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Rick posted:

I know there's a taboo against sending top ten picks to the D-league, but Bender really needs it bad.

papagiannis's father was right

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i just... i hate the warriors!!

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

ex post facho posted:

i just... i hate the warriors!!

"Yes..you like the hate...drink it, like a soda"

-Emperor Palpatine

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

e:

ex post facho posted:

gently caress ou

agreed gently caress ou

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
joe lacob your stupid garbage team blew a 3-1 lead and then poached kd gently caress ou

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Rick posted:

Who thinks this is taboo now.?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

R.D. Mangles posted:

At least so far all his criticism has merit.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Who thinks this is taboo now.?

I guess apparently agents since at least one of the reasons a Suns announcer gave for not doing it is they don't want to make Bender's agent mad.

I guess it's not that big of a deal since as of last week Watson started giving him minutes again.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

I swear you defended the Plumlee deal saying he was really good in the second half of the season and way better than John Henson. I also swear that like 4 years ago you also thought Henson was really good.
Henson showed some flashes of being a weakside shotblocking menace during the Larry Sanders era, but he's a thin weakside shotblocker, so in the right line up he'll look great and in the wrong one he'll be invisible, that's just how it goes.

I won't say anything about Plumlee, becuase gently caress a plumlee, but we all know how good Greg Monroe can be in the right situation. It's not his fault that Jason Kidd would rather play a piano at center

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 3, 2017

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Advanced Stats Question: What does win shares take into account that PER/BPM/VORP don't?

With Russell Westbrook averaging 31/10/10 into January, you'd think that would break some of the advanced stats. He's leading PER by a little bit, is running away with BPM on a record-setting pace, and has a healthy lead on VORP. In WS and WS/48, he's 10 or so, and Harden's leading the league in both.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

WhyteRyce posted:

I didn't like it because the Bucks had leverage due to him being an RFA, but I probably stated some reasons for the deal to not think it would be an utter disaster. He played well as a hustle center who rolled well on Giannis PnRs. The Bucks also were expecting to move Monroe. The story is Plumlee came into camp out of shape, and that is a death sentence for a hustle center.

Henson is a maddening player. He used to flash monster games and had great advanced rim protection numbers. But generally he has been a soft player his whole career but would bring it once in a while, like in the playoffs series against Chicago. But now it seems like he has lost a step so he can't even be the flash in the pan guy anymore. So he is a soft player who gets pushed around and can't move well enough to be a dominant weak side blocker. His wingspan is his saving grace. I hope they trade him before people realize he stinks now and his potential days are over. I loved his potential but I am done with him.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

This is real time tape of worst case scenario Malik Monk in the NBA

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Why is that "KOBE BRYANT HIGHLIGHTS 2013-2014 SEASON" edited to put him in a Toronto Raptor's uniform?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Blind Pineapple posted:

Advanced Stats Question: What does win shares take into account that PER/BPM/VORP don't?

Well, the obvious answer would be...wins.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Blind Pineapple posted:

PER and BPM are linear combinations of the player's box score stats expressed as per minute numbers. They both use the same stats as inputs but use different weights. Win shares are calculated from offensive and defensive ratings, which use the player's stats and his team's stats as inputs, with weights that vary from player to player, and is expressed as an absolute (ie non-rate stat). Some flavors of vorp are calculated from Win shares, some from BPM. You cannot directly compare win shares to the others because they are expressed on different scales: it would be like saying Al Jefferson is a better shotblocker than Cauley Stein because he has more blocks. He also has more opportunities.

But the answer you're looking for is defense. None of these stats captures defense very well, but defensive rating, one half of what goes into win shares, is the best we can do with box score stats.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

dokmo posted:

PER and BPM are linear combinations of the player's box score stats expressed as per minute numbers. They both use the same stats as inputs but use different weights. Win shares are calculated from offensive and defensive ratings, which use the player's stats and his team's stats as inputs, with weights that vary from player to player, and is expressed as an absolute (ie non-rate stat). Some flavors of vorp are calculated from Win shares, some from BPM. You cannot directly compare win shares to the others because they are expressed on different scales: it would be like saying Al Jefferson is a better shotblocker than Cauley Stein because he has more blocks. He also has more opportunities.

But the answer you're looking for is defense. None of these stats captures defense very well, but defensive rating, one half of what goes into win shares, is the best we can do with box score stats.

That makes sense. I recall hearing PER doesn't account for defense well because it only uses counting stats like blocks, but the curious thing is that Westbrook and Harden have similar DWS (1.8 and 1.4, respectively), but Harden has a much higher OWS (6.2 to Russ's 3.6, which puts Russ at 12th (!) in OWS). So it's the offensive part of win shares that favors Harden.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 3, 2017

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Rick posted:

Why is that "KOBE BRYANT HIGHLIGHTS 2013-2014 SEASON" edited to put him in a Toronto Raptor's uniform?

I've described Derozan as a B rate Kobe for most of his career but tbh he's pretty much an A rate Kobe this year.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
This draft is a best case scenario for Philly, having two lottery picks in a pg/sf/sg heavy draft is perfect for their needs.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

After January is over it looks like the thunder will be in a six way race for the 7-8 seeds

b2n
Dec 29, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

Out of curiosity and sadness that the next level of anatomy class is full at school I spent a while reading about tendinosis, especially sports related. I came to the conclusion that Reggie Jackson's injury was massively undersold. He got prp injections in both knees and his thumb. You dont get tendinosis at his tender age unless you've been Brandon Roy/Derrick Rose style running/jumping/cutting with awful form, abraiding and destroying all the, in layman's terms, good stretchy and soft crap inside the knee. So Detroit's training staff, if they aren't fools, are forcing him to relearn to walk, to jump, to run, to cut, so he doesn't Brandon Roy himself. He won't be 'old reggie' for a long time. I'd really like to see them sit him for another month or so.

What the F did you read... Brandon Roy's injury has nothing to do with tendOnosis whatsoever

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Death By The Blues posted:

This draft is a best case scenario for Philly, having two lottery picks in a pg/sf/sg heavy draft is perfect for their needs.

I'm still counting on the lakers figuring out not having a top 3 pick this year is a franchise disaster and tank accordingly. Maybe they already have.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
The Bucks have a chance to be really freaking good in two or three years. I hope they don't get hit by injuries. Giannis is absurd, but for some reason I like Jabari even more. He's just so bouncy, dunking on everything that moves.

edit:

I hope one of our Raptors fans is getting a JV Itty Baller avatar. They are perfect.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Jimmy Butler's game score last night was the 9th highest of all time, 3rd highest since 1994. James Harden's NYE game was #25 all time.

http://bkref.com/tiny/6j6ua

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jack's Flow posted:

The Bucks have a chance to be really freaking good in two or three years. I hope they don't get hit by injuries. Giannis is absurd, but for some reason I like Jabari even more. He's just so bouncy, dunking on everything that moves.

edit:

I hope one of our Raptors fans is getting a JV Itty Baller avatar. They are perfect.

Yeah they get Middleton back next year which should be a huge help.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Shear Modulus posted:

That makes sense. I recall hearing PER doesn't account for defense well because it only uses counting stats like blocks, but the curious thing is that Westbrook and Harden have similar DWS (1.8 and 1.4, respectively), but Harden has a much higher OWS (6.2 to Russ's 3.6, which puts Russ at 12th (!) in OWS). So it's the offensive part of win shares that favors Harden.

OWS uses ORTG, which is a measurement of efficiency. Harden has been a much more efficient scorer than Westbrook, giving a healthy boost to that. PER weights heavier on production, and Westbrook has a lead there because of his bonkers 42% usage. I dunno about VORP and I have found it not incredibly useful, but I assume it weighs production like PER.

There isn't a good answer on how to weigh efficiency vs production. Ideally you want both, but someone like Westbrook doing everything on offense is useful too, it allows other players to not have to take the bad shots that inevitably happen and help your team as a whole be more efficient.

For what it's worth, RPM has Harden and Westbrook basically tied, with a slight lead for Harden. They are around #5, with CP3 and Giannis up top.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
So the last two minutes report for the Hawks/Spurs game is funny. That screen I posted earlier? They said disadvantaged player was Milsap and Manu was the committing players. This is their description: Ginobili (ATL) grabs and pulls Muscala (ATL) after the screen and affects his FOM.

Yeah that sounds about right. So it looks like they're trying to say, but are as competent as the referees were last game, that it was a legal screen and Manu commits the foul and inhibited Muscala's ability to move... over Ginobili I guess. Muscala gets his foot out of bounds which makes his screen illegal anyway.

Long story short I don't know what an illegal screen is supposed to be anymore. I don't think the NBA has any idea what's going on either.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Debating and arguing what is and is not an illegal screen is the absolute worst thing associated with basketball.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 3, 2017

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

God dammit of all the lovely loving bulls games I've sat through and this one I didn't even know was on.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

R.D. Mangles posted:

God dammit of all the lovely loving bulls games I've sat through and this one I didn't even know was on.

Just find a Youtube video of all of Jimmy Butler's points.

Nothing else was worth watching.

Here I found one for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhNR_CagCME&t=18s

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dexo posted:

Just find a Youtube video of all of Jimmy Butler's points.

Nothing else was worth watching.

Here I found one for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhNR_CagCME&t=18s

Why haven't they given the keys to McBuckets yet?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Why haven't they given the keys to McBuckets yet?

They have, It's just that the car currently has no gas, so McDermott, Hoiberg, Gar and Paxson are sitting inside the car while Jimmy is pushing them uphill for 82 miles.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They don't think Jimmy Butler is a good enough player to build around, judging by their moves and trade rumor.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Great, long article about Giannis: http://www.si.com/nba/2017/01/03/giannis-antetokounmpo-milwaukee-bucks-greek-freak-jason-kidd

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

I love how these articles about what a genius Kidd is for putting him at PG never mention that Giannis was a PG for years on that weird greek team built to take advantage of his playmaking.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Am I the only one that sees no value in Giannis as a PG? A guy like him is better served as a wing, PF, or even Center as you want as many ball handlers as possible on the same court. Plus the fact that he's their best rim protector.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Also the 'genius' of Kidd was using him as a primary ball handler over Tyler Ennis and Jerryd Bayless. The whole point guard thing is a meaningless distinction imo.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I also like how they ignore that Giannis is always playing next to two guards (including notable PG Dellevedova), so it's a bit of a stretch saying they are playing him at guard. What's wrong with just saying he is a point forward, or a SF that has playmaking responsibility? Bucks still have guards doing guard things on the team.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Tae posted:

Am I the only one that sees no value in Giannis as a PG? A guy like him is better served as a wing, PF, or even Center as you want as many ball handlers as possible on the same court. Plus the fact that he's their best rim protector.
This post makes no sense. Have you watched the Bucks?

Lockback posted:

I also like how they ignore that Giannis is always playing next to two guards (including notable PG Dellevedova), so it's a bit of a stretch saying they are playing him at guard. What's wrong with just saying he is a point forward, or a SF that has playmaking responsibility? Bucks still have guards doing guard things on the team.
The primary ball handler/point guard distinction hasn't caught on in the mainstream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We have a word it's called point forward.

Already mentioned.

• Locked thread