Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I had completely forgotten about that, since it was in the wrong book.

Faiths of Eberron includes rules for construct grafts, including replacing part of your brain, heart, skin, arms (again) and legs.

So Bobot can be a robot human robot human robot.

He could, also, be a robot human robot human dragon, plant, elemental, or Undead.

Because Eberron is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Wasn't there a bit in D&D 4e where you could be a Half-vampire vampire werewolf vampire? I think it was because there was a race that were vampires in all but name, a feat that made you a half vampire and gave you similar powers, a vampire class, and I think another feat that gave you werewolf powers.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Glagha posted:

Wasn't there a bit in D&D 4e where you could be a Half-vampire vampire werewolf vampire? I think it was because there was a race that were vampires in all but name, a feat that made you a half vampire and gave you similar powers, a vampire class, and I think another feat that gave you werewolf powers.

I know there's the Quintuple Undead Triple Vampire, posted in this thread.

unseenlibrarian posted:

The best D&D 4E Army of One Undead dude is, presently, IIRC:

Race: Revenant. Select Vryloka as your race in life. Right then and there, you're undead and alive, -twice-.

Take Vampiric Heritage as your starting feat. So yes, you are a living dead vampire with vampire ancestors.

Take Vampire as your class. As of right now, you are a -triple vampire-, and quadruple undead.

Take an arcane multiclass feat. Any arcane class will do. Basically this doesn't really do much for you at all except when you hit epic level. When you hit epic level, you can become an archlich.

You are thus Quintuple Undead and Triple Vampire.

I'm sure this has been topped since I last looked into it, but really, you're like an entire Ravenloft adventure by yourself as is.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

One of the Themes you could pick as a starting character made you a Werewolf, that isn't in conflict with any of the things that make you a quadruple undead triple vampire.

More amusingly though, the Werewolf stuff is flagged as "Beast Form", which allows druids to use their beast form abilities with it (naturally) but prevents you from using any other powers. At level 10, the werewolf theme gives you the ability to assume a hybrid form, letting you use both Beast Form and non powers at the same time.

One of the types of druid you can be is the Swarm druid, which makes your Beast form into a swarm of insects rather than a single coherent shape.

Combine the two and you get a werewolf shaped swarm of bees that can wield a sword.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Kurieg posted:

One of the Themes you could pick as a starting character made you a Werewolf, that isn't in conflict with any of the things that make you a quadruple undead triple vampire.

More amusingly though, the Werewolf stuff is flagged as "Beast Form", which allows druids to use their beast form abilities with it (naturally) but prevents you from using any other powers. At level 10, the werewolf theme gives you the ability to assume a hybrid form, letting you use both Beast Form and non powers at the same time.

One of the types of druid you can be is the Swarm druid, which makes your Beast form into a swarm of insects rather than a single coherent shape.

Combine the two and you get a werewolf shaped swarm of bees that can wield a sword.

The line between normal 4E and Gamma World blurs even further.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Serf posted:

Thank goodness the d20 Modern Menace Manual showed us what it looks like when a flumph goes bad

Down these Lawful Evil streets a creature must levitate who is not itself Lawful Evil...

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
He's a loose cannon, but they can't take away his badge - he is his badge!

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
I don't think there's anything strictly preventing the Revenant Quadruple-Vampire Werewolf Archlich from also becoming as ghost as described in Dragon #420. (The article in question is an Unearthed Arcana, so it's probably not in the character builder.)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Mors Rattus posted:

My only objection to Mieville's writing is that holy poo poo the man cannot do anything but downer ends.

Un-Lun-Dun is fun and Kraken is really funny.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Kurieg posted:

I had completely forgotten about that, since it was in the wrong book.

Faiths of Eberron includes rules for construct grafts, including replacing part of your brain, heart, skin, arms (again) and legs.

So Bobot can be a robot human robot human robot.

He could, also, be a robot human robot human dragon, plant, elemental, or Undead.

Because Eberron is awesome.

This reminds me, I believe it was from the Eberron setting too, you could get a item that acted as another limb, it let you make extra attacks and everything at a small penalty. It cost about 2,000 gp if I recall.

Thing was, it didn't take up an item slot.

So there was a build where someone made a Monk (for improved unarmed attack) and spent 90 percent of their gold on getting extra limbs - at 20th level this came out to having something like 800 tentacle arms hidden beneath an overcoat.

The mental image is frightening enough.

E: found some of it online.

quote:

Long Arm: A long arm is thin and wiry, and unusually long for the grafted creature's size. The grafted creature's natural reach for attacks made with the arm or weapons held in the arm increases by 5 feet. Though it cannot take independent action, the arm can be used to make natural attacks, dealing damage based on the grafted creature's size (see below).
Prerequisites: Graft Flesh, creator must be a fiend; Market Price: 5,000 gp.

quote:

Grafts have no statistics of their own. A graft might enhance some ability or characteristic of the creature it's attached to, or grant the creature some new ability. For example, a fiendish atm might grant the creature longer reach or an improved natural attack. Some grafts are capable of independent action - this usually means that the creature with the graft gains an extra single move or attack action each round, usually of a specific kind (a natural attack with a fiendish clawed arm, for example).

A graft is not a magic item: It does nor radiate magic once completed, it does nor count against a creature's limit for magic items worn, it does not have a caster level, and it is very hard, if nor impossible, to salvage as treasure. It does, however, count against the treasure value of the creature with the graft, which means that creatures with grafts are still appropriate challenges for their normal Challenge Rating, but have reduced treasure.

crime fighting hog fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 23, 2016

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

crime fighting hog posted:

This reminds me, I believe it was from the Eberron setting too, you could get a item that acted as another limb, it let you make extra attacks and everything at a small penalty. It cost about 2,000 gp if I recall.

So there was a build where someone made a Monk (for improved unarmed attack) and spent 90 percent of their gold on getting extra limbs - at 20th level this came out to having something like 800 tentacle arms hidden beneath an overcoat.

Well that's one way to go ORA ORA ORA ORA I guess.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

Well that's one way to go ORA ORA ORA ORA I guess.

God I almost wanna find some of these books just to make builds.

With the right feats and what not to reduce crafting costs... THAT'S A LOT OF ARMS.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Dunno about Monks, but the Nasty Gentleman managed to get 7600 tentacles, each of which can cast their own spells, doing 8 million+ damage, before we start seriously optimizing. I also remember one build that had to use Knuth's up-arrow notation to describe how much damage it could do.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I don't have the fiend folio but the way grafting works in basically every other book is that you can only have one graft per body slot (Head, torso, arms, legs, skin).

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

darthbob88 posted:

Dunno about Monks, but the Nasty Gentleman managed to get 7600 tentacles, each of which can cast their own spells, doing 8 million+ damage, before we start seriously optimizing. I also remember one build that had to use Knuth's up-arrow notation to describe how much damage it could do.

That reminds me of the world record for non-infinite damage, which needed Knuth arrows. It was the first time I ever even heard of that mathatical expression!

i failed math

twice

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I really miss 4e and wish I could have played it more :allears:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Same. It was wonderful

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

That reminds me of the world record for non-infinite damage, which needed Knuth arrows. It was the first time I ever even heard of that mathatical expression!

i failed math

twice

I once witnessed a magic game between one person who had a bunch of enchantments that made it so his opponent couldn't attack him, and another person who had a creature who's power/toughness each turn was f(n)=4(f(n-1))+10 When they stopped keeping track it was "Enough/Enough".

also yes: fiendish grafts don't have a limit on the number you can have. Because it was a 3.0 book that was never updated.

Good job wotc.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That reminds me of a bit of nonsense from Shadowrun 2e. Now, second edition introduced a counterpart to cyberware's gleaming chrome perfection, bioware. Normally, when you take cyberware it damages your Essence score, let your Essence hit zero, and you die, let it drop below one and you can't use magic (decimal Essence scores are common amongst noncasters). However, bioware didn't have an Essence hit unless you were a magician, instead it depleted your "Index" which was a new ability score, based on your Body score.

So far, so good, Body determines how 'tough' you are, and larger metahumans have higher Body, so it would make sense that bigness and toughness=how much engineered goop you can shove in your meat. Here's the problem...

With the right grade of cyberware, you can replace nearly everything but your brain with cybernetics. You can chop off your arms and legs and get shiny chrome ones, tear out your ribs and armor your torso, replace your eyes and ears, get a new voicebox and lungs, replace your spine with superconductive material, even dismantle your skull piece by piece and have it laboriously reconstructed with armor composite. None of which damaged your Body score, because cybernetic and "natural" scores are handled differently.

You could then proceed to tack on as much bioware as your index will let you get away with, making you smarter, more charismatic, faster, and even better at combat.

Later editions sort of closed this weirdness through various methods, although if you knew what you were doing you could still replace your body and get not quite as crazy with it.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
You're limited to five grafts total, and they all have to be the same category of graft (plant, elemental, undead, etc.).

Symbionts don't have the same problem. They do sometimes take the place of a magic item slot, but not always. So, by the rules, there's no limit to the number of tentacle whips you can have attacked to your arms (regardless of what common sense would tell you).

EDIT: The grafts in Fiend Folio don't limit you by a number, but the tentacle ones all specifically replace a limb.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Again working from hazy memories: if you doubled the price of a magic item, couldn't it be rendered "slotless"? I swear that was in the 3.5 DMG for item creation rules.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Again working from hazy memories: if you doubled the price of a magic item, couldn't it be rendered "slotless"? I swear that was in the 3.5 DMG for item creation rules.

Wondrous items cost double the cost of other magic items, and do not take up a slot. However, Wondrous Items also had the limitation that they could not boost stats, like a Belt of Giant's Strength could, and generally if you want one to just cast a spell you'd make a Wand, but that's where you'd go to get things like flying carpets and bags of holding.

Most of the crazy things you can do with Wondrous Items are already in the game by RAW, like having a bottle full of endless water or a portable fortress in your backpack. Most of the time you're better off just using the slotted version of an item instead of paying double to make it Wondrous.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

That sure was in 3.5! People would always flip their poo poo if you tried to use it, in my experience... Don't ask about combining magical features in a single item, either!

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Karatela posted:

That sure was in 3.5! People would always flip their poo poo if you tried to use it, in my experience... Don't ask about combining magical features in a single item, either!

The rules from the DMG on pricing/creating magic items aren't strict rules, they're guidelines meant for the GM to estimate things with. Also, following those guidelines will, more often than not, end up with an item that's either way underpriced or way overpriced. They, uh, weren't very good.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

gnome7 posted:

Wondrous items cost double the cost of other magic items, and do not take up a slot. However, Wondrous Items also had the limitation that they could not boost stats, like a Belt of Giant's Strength could, and generally if you want one to just cast a spell you'd make a Wand, but that's where you'd go to get things like flying carpets and bags of holding.

Most of the crazy things you can do with Wondrous Items are already in the game by RAW, like having a bottle full of endless water or a portable fortress in your backpack. Most of the time you're better off just using the slotted version of an item instead of paying double to make it Wondrous.

No, no. A belt of giant's strength was a wondrous item in 3.5. Wondrous items were basically the miscellany magic items. Things that weren't armor, weapons, rings, rods, staves, wands, scrolls, or potions. The things that took up most of your item slots were wondrous items.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

JackMann posted:

No, no. A belt of giant's strength was a wondrous item in 3.5. Wondrous items were basically the miscellany magic items. Things that weren't armor, weapons, rings, rods, staves, wands, scrolls, or potions. The things that took up most of your item slots were wondrous items.

But can you modify the Belt of Giant's Strength formula to fill other slots?

No, wait, that wouldn't actually stack.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Doresh posted:

You can, assuming it's one of the slots that "goes" with boosting strength (gloves, for example). The magic item crafting rules were somewhat updated in Magic Item Compendium, one of the last 3.5 books published.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Doresh posted:

Same type bonuses didn't stack, right. That was something I didn't learn as a DM until late in the edition's lifespan. Suddenly my cleric with 28 wisdom wasn't so wise...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

darthbob88 posted:

You Americans and your right to bear arms.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Sure about that? :v:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Splicer posted:

Sure about that? :v:

Let's just say 8th grade was so much fun, I did it twice.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

So this isn't really a huge Murphy or anything and it's Pathfinder so I suppose it barely counts but...

Meet the Gearghost.

The Gearghost is a little CR 5 undead created when a thief is slain by a trap and they more or less exist to make sure others befall the same fate as they do. They hang around dungeons and cities and as far as I can tell their only purpose in unlife is to reset traps, repair traps and make new traps. Repairing traps is pretty easy for a creature that gets Make Whole and Mending as spell-like abilities but it's the making that I'm concerned with. Once per week a Gearghost gets to freely assemble a CR 4 trap. Additional Gearghosts can help, boosting the CR by +2 for the number of Gearghosts assisting. There is no upper limit to this.

Natural Gearghost gangs can assemble into groups up to 6. That's a CR 10 encounter. A CR 10 encounter that shits out a CR 14 trap every week. Making and maintaining traps seems to be the only thing Gearghosts do so I can assume that they will always make a new trap every week, in addition to mending and maintaining pre-existing ones. They've got no reason not to! So any CR-appropriate location that has a small group of Gearghosts dropped into it will rapidly escalate in CR unless something is done about it.
And that's just one gang. There can be multiple gangs of monsters in a single location or even a greater colony. And now take into account that Gearghosts are immortal since they're undead and will just keep churning out traps forever.
A gang of Gearghosts left locked up alone in a place without adventurer intervention will make 52 CR-14 traps a year or 104 CR-8 traps a year or 156 CR-6 traps a year or 312 CR-4 traps a year. Adding a second gang doubles those numbers or, if they work together, permits the creation of 52 CR-20+ traps a year. Any place with a serious Gearghost infestation is going to rapidly transform into an ever-increasing ball of incredibly deadly traps.

Additionally, Gearghosts are born from the uniquet spirits of someone who was murdered by a trap. So Gearghosts constantly make traps which, at a lower rate, make more Gearghosts which in turn make the traps more numerous or more powerful which in turn helps make more Gearghosts. They'll run out of space in their dungeon eventually and then the real problem starts as the surrounding landscape and beyond begins to become infested with incredibly deadly and powerful traps. In places with regular & heavy adventurer intakes to blunt and destroy traps this likely remains under control. But in places where the adventurers are too weak, die too often or simply just don't show up in time to stop them from reaching critical mass, a large group of Gearghosts effectively becomes a self-replicating hegemonising swarm of traps.

That itself is bad enough. But also consider the fact that Gearghosts are undead and not particularly strong undead at that. You don't have to be much of a necromancer to tame and collect as many Gearghosts as you can find. And Gearghosts can make any trap, including magical ones. So any savvy necromancer who grabs a bunch of these little blighters can have what is effectively a ninth-level spell of his choosing from any class churned out for his use per week. Multiple times per week if he has enough.

EDIT: Also for a Gearghost to be permanently destroyed you must pour holy water over their remains while on hallowed ground and all traps within 100 feet of the remains must be disabled/destroyed or otherwise it reforms in 2d6 days. So really any Gearghost population is likely to only ever increase over time because it's a pain in the arse to actually pick them off for good.

ZeroCount fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 3, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ZeroCount posted:

So this isn't really a huge Murphy or anything and it's Pathfinder so I suppose it barely counts but...

Meet the Gearghost.

The Gearghost is a little CR 5 undead created when a thief is slain by a trap and they more or less exist to make sure others befall the same fate as they do. They hang around dungeons and cities and as far as I can tell their only purpose in unlife is to reset traps, repair traps and make new traps. Repairing traps is pretty easy for a creature that gets Make Whole and Mending as spell-like abilities but it's the making that I'm concerned with. Once per week a Gearghost gets to freely assemble a CR 4 trap. Additional Gearghosts can help, boosting the CR by +2 for the number of Gearghosts assisting. There is no upper limit to this.

Natural Gearghost gangs can assemble into groups up to 6. That's a CR 10 encounter. A CR 10 encounter that shits out a CR 14 trap every week. Making and maintaining traps seems to be the only thing Gearghosts do so I can assume that they will always make a new trap every week, in addition to mending and maintaining pre-existing ones. They've got no reason not to! So any CR-appropriate location that has a small group of Gearghosts dropped into it will rapidly escalate in CR unless something is done about it.
And that's just one gang. There can be multiple gangs of monsters in a single location or even a greater colony. And now take into account that Gearghosts are immortal since they're undead and will just keep churning out traps forever.
A gang of Gearghosts left locked up alone in a place without adventurer intervention will make 52 CR-14 traps a year or 104 CR-8 traps a year or 156 CR-6 traps a year or 312 CR-4 traps a year. Adding a second gang doubles those numbers or, if they work together, permits the creation of 52 CR-20+ traps a year. Any place with a serious Gearghost infestation is going to rapidly transform into an ever-increasing ball of incredibly deadly traps.

Additionally, Gearghosts are born from the uniquet spirits of someone who was murdered by a trap. So Gearghosts constantly make traps which, at a lower rate, make more Gearghosts which in turn make the traps more numerous or more powerful which in turn helps make more Gearghosts. They'll run out of space in their dungeon eventually and then the real problem starts as the surrounding landscape and beyond begins to become infested with incredibly deadly and powerful traps. In places with regular & heavy adventurer intakes to blunt and destroy traps this likely remains under control. But in places where the adventurers are too weak, die too often or simply just don't show up in time from reaching critical mass, a large group of Gearghosts effectively becomes a self-replicating hegemonising swarm of traps.

That itself is bad enough. But also consider the fact that Gearghosts are undead and not particularly strong undead at that. You don't have to be much of a necromancer to tame and collect as many Gearghosts as you can find. And Gearghosts can make any trap, including magical ones. So any savvy necromancer who grabs a bunch of these little blighters can have what is effectively a ninth-level spell of his choosing from any class churned out for his use per week. Multiple times per week if he has enough.

EDIT: Also for a Gearghost to be permanently destroyed you must pour holy water over their remains while on hallowed ground and all traps within 100 feet of the remains must be disabled/destroyed or otherwise it reforms in 2d6 days. So really any Gearghost population is likely to only ever increase over time because it's a pain in the arse to actually pick them off for good.

Gear ghosts as the Grey goo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Gear ghosts as the Grey goo.

Can't be. Pathfinder has separate monster stats for grey goo from its science fiction/fantasy mashup, Numeria (and then reprinted in the Bestiary 5.) There are references to grey goo being self-replicating, but no rules.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

What I'm getting here is some wonk over in Paizo wanted an excuse for how traps replenished/repaired themselves in older dungeons and then didn't think it all the way through, as loving usual.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Having additional gearhosts increase the CR of the trap linearly really helps push it over the top.

I mean, they basically made a grey goo of trap-making GBS threads Ghosts, but it's good to appreciate that they also hosed up on the math on its scaling such that even a theoretically reasonable gearhost encounter will probably be laying traps that gib your party.

Caros
May 14, 2008

If you have an ample supply of chickens you can earn 20,000 gold a week for every three ghosts you have.

The soultrapping gem is a CR 9 trap that creates a gem that activates the spell 'trap the soul' on touch. The trap lists a 20,000 GP gem as treasure from the encounter, which makes sense as the material component for trap the soul is a sapphire worth 1,000 gp per hit die and this trap can hit up to 20 HD.

Your ghoul makes a trap inside a box. You put a chicken in the box. When you come back in an hour the chicken will be gone, indicating the gem is safe to touch. Go sell the gem (don't sell it to a wizard, I don't think they are reusable).

I think you can also just dc 33 disable device the gem. But that is less fun.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Something about their being able to instantly reset a trap is kind of hilarious too. Disabled the boulder trap? Surprise, here comes a whole lot more.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I love the idea of monetizing Schrodinger's chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Who would be in the market for a gem with the soul of a chicken trapped inside? Are gems with the souls in them spell components for greater spells?