Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

akadajet posted:

You mean you take that off?

You take it off if your not some mongo that lives in flyover state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I buy a new electronic device, peel the stickers off, then return them.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

akadajet posted:

You mean you take that off?

I'm triggered.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
The best is when you find something at a thrift store or yard sard that still has that stuff and then you get to peel it off 30 years later

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I wouldn't buy a used item as a gift for someone unless I knew they were ok with it. I'm guessing you know her pretty well seeing as shes your wife, so if you think she'll love it, then why wouldn't you?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Broke down and told the wife. Went to a camera shop and she really liked the T5i. She also said she wouldn't mind a used one but the store didn't have any.

Is this a decent bundle? https://smile.amazon.com/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T5i-Telephoto/dp/B017WNT2PQ

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Stay away from bundles like that. The stuff they throw in their are usually absolutely garbage quality. You might also want to look at the T6i or T6s, they are the same form factor as the T5i but with a sensor that is not horribly outdated.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Popelmon posted:

Stay away from bundles like that. The stuff they throw in their are usually absolutely garbage quality. You might also want to look at the T6i or T6s, they are the same form factor as the T5i but with a sensor that is not horribly outdated.

Humm what's the biggest different between the i and s? Is it a $400 dollar difference?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you find a reasonable bundle it's fine.. the 18-55 is a really good starter lens so don't shy away from it. The 55-250 is decent too if you happen to see one in a bundle.

The rest of the kit you linked to is garbage though.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fyallm posted:

Humm what's the biggest different between the i and s? Is it a $400 dollar difference?

looks like it's only a $100 difference?

Anyhow to me the noise performance looks identical.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-rebel-t6s-t6i/6

I like that the t6s has the LCD screen on the top like a higher end DSLR. I use that all the time to check settings on my 70D.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I think something like this kit:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1116102-REG/canon_0591c005_eos_rebel_t6i_dslr.html

and then this lens for portraits and low light. it's a good fast 50mm and also the cheapest lens canon makes.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1143786-REG/canon_0570c002_ef_50mm_f_1_8_stm.html

would be the ducks guts for a dslr beginner.

Kino
Aug 2, 2003
You may also want to consider Canon refurbs. I'd picked up a t6s from it over the summer for around 850, and the thing came flawless and haven't had a single issue. When I was originally researching it seemed like Canon overall does a pretty good job with them and I don't think I'd saw any complaints. Seems like the deals have improved since July, think I paid the same price for the t6s minus the 55-200mm lens.

T6i w/ 18-55mm STM + 55-200mm STM for $540: Link
T6s w/ 18-135MM STM + 55-200mm STM for $830: Link

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
S adds top lcd, a second control dial on back (but it's not as nice as the QCD on higher end canons) , and HDR video mode

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Kino posted:

It's actually a 55-250. And the lens is awesome.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Kino posted:

You may also want to consider Canon refurbs. I'd picked up a t6s from it over the summer for around 850, and the thing came flawless and haven't had a single issue. When I was originally researching it seemed like Canon overall does a pretty good job with them and I don't think I'd saw any complaints. Seems like the deals have improved since July, think I paid the same price for the t6s minus the 55-200mm lens.

Thanks for this, picked up the t6s

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fyallm posted:

Thanks for this, picked up the t6s

Solid choice!

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
They came in 2 boxes. One is smaller than the other, which do you think has the camera on it. The smaller box or bigger? I want to make sure she opens the camera first but I don't want to open it.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I would imagine the bigger box contains the bigger lens?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm gonna guess the larger one has the camera and the 18-135. The 55-250 isn't actually all that big. My SL1 came in a box with the kit lens, and the 250 came in a separate, smaller box when I bought it all as a bundle.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Yep you were correct! We couldn't wait till tomorrow so we exchanged gifts today!

She loved it, thanks thread!

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Any bag recommendations that are currently on sale? I've picked up a K-50 from an amazon refurb, and planning to pick up a Ravelli tripod with some holiday cash. I was looking at the Amazon Basics to round it all off, but I'd appreciate any pointers.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I have the amazon basics camera bag and like it. It fits my camera two lenses my cleaning supplies, charger, USB cable and still had room for more stuff.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I have that same Ravelli tripod, and it's a tank - stable and durable, but the pistol grip head is absolute poo poo if your lens has any kind of weight to it. I got a regular ball head that I'm happier with for most purposes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

tater_salad posted:

I have the amazon basics camera bag and like it. It fits my camera two lenses my cleaning supplies, charger, USB cable and still had room for more stuff.

Yeah I have the backpack version and it's been surprisingly good. Got an overage baggage fee of $100 skipped on a flight because the lady at the desk saw I only had the small backpack on otherwise. It was easily holding 5x the weight limit I should've been taken too - good and discrete!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So I just bought a Fuji X-T10 with a 27mm lens. Everything I've read says that to use shutter priority mode I should use the dial to select a shutter speed then use the rear dial to scroll past f16 which will set it to auto. This doesn't seem to work for me as it won't go past f16 does anyone have any idea?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Sri.Theo posted:

So I just bought a Fuji X-T10 with a 27mm lens. Everything I've read says that to use shutter priority mode I should use the dial to select a shutter speed then use the rear dial to scroll past f16 which will set it to auto. This doesn't seem to work for me as it won't go past f16 does anyone have any idea?

Try setting the shutter speed to A then turning past f/16. Once your in P mode then set whatever shutter speed you want. TBH I wouldn't bother with shutter priority just set the autoISO to maintain the speed you want and use aperture priority so you have control over DOF as well.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I figured this was the best thread to ask a dumb question.

Wife was using a canon xsi and sigma 30mm 1.4 (not art) to take pictures at parties and of kids. I wanted to get her something better since that is a very old camera.

Tried out a fuji xe1 with a 35mm 2.0 but that was mostly because I loved the style of the camera. The shots we were getting didn't seem all that much better than the old canon. I was expecting a noticeable difference I guess. Ended up returning it within the return window thinking that I could get a more noticeable difference if I went full frame.

Currently have a Nikon D750 and a 50mm 1.8G. After an initial learning curve of figuring out a new camera system again we got some decent shots out of it. Taking pictures in very dark scenes is pretty awesome. But it's not fun to shoot pictures and have them look bad or not realize if you got the shot until you put it through lightroom. So the camera has sat on the shelf for about 3 weeks without being used. She grabbed it off the shelf today to take pictures of our 4 year old and his gingerbread house. She *sighed* and said she's sad she can't take good pictures anymore.

Here are the dumb questions. What is the problem here? The 50mm on full frame should be similar to the 30mm on a canon crop right? So it's not a field of view problem. I understand that the d750 is technically better, but why was the old canon more enjoyable to shoot with? Should I give Fuji another shot since we really liked the size and style of the camera or is it not enough of a difference from an old Canon xsi?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
You might like the combination of wider aperture on the sigma, canon's color rendition or auto exposure/white-balance settings which result in a more pleasing jpeg straight out of camera.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You've not told us what she's actually unhappy about.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Hdip posted:

Here are the dumb questions. What is the problem here?

More money than skill.

It sounds like you and your wife don't fully understand why you're taking good or bad shots and you're spending money changing the camera instead of getting better.

quote:

But it's not fun to shoot pictures and have them look bad or not realize if you got the shot until you put it through lightroom.

This will go away with practice and and as you become familiar with the camera.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 3, 2017

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Hdip posted:

Here are the dumb questions. What is the problem here? The 50mm on full frame should be similar to the 30mm on a canon crop right? So it's not a field of view problem.

It's likely a depth of field problem, if your problem is a lack of focus you can't notice on the camera LCD but do see in Lr. The 50mm at 1.8 on your full frame camera has less depth of field than the 30mm at 1.4 on apsc.

The depth of field of the same theoritical 30mm lens on both cameras is slightly less on full frame than on apsc as well at the same aperture, but this is a very small amount compared to the change from different focal lengths.

The best way (in my opinion) to take pictures of kids with a full frame camera is to use wide angle lenses (28mm or so), manually focus to 6ft or 1.8m or so, dial down the aperture to f11, and try to get them at least four feet away when you click the shutter.

But even on the 50 with autofocus, stop the lens down (likely to f16). Don't try to shoot everything wide open or even close, I'd consider f5.6 pushing it for this application at 50mm unless the kids are 15+ feet away.

Crank up the ISO if it's dark or indoors. Keep shutter at 1/250 or faster to stop moderate motion. A high ISO photo is better than no photo.

Also: all cameras are trash at being photographers. It doesn't matter how much they cost or what the technical capabilities are, they still require a photographer. Be the photographer (and learn why all this largely opinionated and subjective garbage I just posted matters).

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

It could also be missed focus, especially with kids as the subject. Playing with the autofocus points and method and finding the quirks of the camera (and lens) would probably be helpful. With a hardware upgrade, there are probably a lot more options that you want to sift through to find out how you like them.

I agree that stopping the camera down will produce sharper pictures if you're in "just shoot" mode, when there's enough light for it. Most lenses are sharpest around f/8 - f/11, on top of having more depth of field to smooth over slightly missed focus.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Infinite Karma posted:

Most lenses are sharpest around f/8 - f/11

eh... a lot of lenses become sharp at wider apertures than that.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Maybe your wife is unhappy about how much money y'all spent on that camera. I see it all the time on dpreview forums; husbands who are constantly berated by their SOs for wasting godawful amounts of money chasing spec sheet peen camera supremacy. (Not saying that's you, but hey, you might want to check)

And that reminds me: I had a coworker asking me for advice on what kind of new digital camera to buy. She was pretty adamant about wanting a traditional DSLR with optical viewfinder, so I was helping her price out and compare models. I sent her an email going over what I thought about various cameras she was interested in, and I sort of half-jokingly promoted the Fuji X-T's. She was dead set against mirrorless, though. Until one day last week when she apparently went to a camera store, tried everything out in person, and walked away with an XT2, 35/2 and 10-24/4.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 5, 2017

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
I hope this isn't a dead thread since there haven't been posts in two months but I'm considering my first REAL DSLR. I loved photography back in high school when I had a black and white film SLR and went into the dark room to develop pictures. Due to that I've wanted to get a DSLR but I definitely don't remember anything I previously learned about ISO and stuff.

I've been reading the T6i is a great camera for a beginner and will be phenomenal for a long time even for intermediate folks so that's what I was looking at. Anyone think that's a good way to start? Is it too much? Also, what's the best way to really re-learn things like aperture, ISO, etc so I can take the best pictures? :) thanks!

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
What do you want to do with your photography? What compromises are you prepared to make with regard to bulkiness vs performance? There are alternatives to a DSLR for serious photography and maybe your specific needs might be better served with a mirrorless system.

The T6i is a reasonably good entry level camera. If you are just starting out, it will take a while before you reach its limits. I doubt that it will be too much to start with, it's aimed at beginners and casual photographers. In general the Rebels/triple digit number cameras like the 750D are aimed at beginners, the double digit models are 'prosumer' hobbyist bodies and the single digit numbers are pro-level. If you're going to buy it new, then you could probably get a better camera for the same price by looking at second hand 70Ds.

This site is pretty good for giving you an overview of the exposure triangle, but nothing will beat just going out and taking a bunch of photos, experimenting and seeing what differences you get from moving your settings about. Also look at photos that people post and check the settings that they used for them, a lot of platforms like Flickr, 500px, etc display those by default.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Nobody makes a bad camera anymore, you can expect at least a couple of years of enjoyment from any DSLR. What's your budget? You mention the T6i, and a quick google shows me that it's in the same price range as nearly every other consumer-grade and prosumer-grade DSLR. You've got all the options, and again, pretty much none of them are bad. If you see something you find interesting, ask us about it and we'll be happy to tell you if it's bad (it won't be bad).

As for learning, like Helen said nothing beats direct experience. To get you started, the most common recommendation around here is Understanding Exposure. You can find it at a library if you don't feel like buying it.

My advice: buy a DSLR kit, something that comes with 1 or 2 lenses, the basic kit zooms (typically 18-55mm and 55-250mm or something similar) but NOT with a ton of other stuff. You need a camera body, at least one lens, a battery and charger, and a memory card. Only the memory card won't typically be included with a camera purchase.
You do NOT need a flimsy tripod, a goofy "telephoto" lens that screws onto the filter ring of your lens, a lovely bag, a stupid cleaning kit, idiotic multicoloured filters, or any other nonsense that some sellers like to package with a camera.

Then, go for a walk with your new camera. Just take random pictures of whatever catches your eye. Come back home and put the pictures on your computer, then figure out what you like or don't like about them. Post stuff here in the Dorkroom, enjoy your fun new moneypit hobby.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Helen Highwater posted:

What do you want to do with your photography? What compromises are you prepared to make with regard to bulkiness vs performance? There are alternatives to a DSLR for serious photography and maybe your specific needs might be better served with a mirrorless system.

Thank you both for the feedback. In terms of this question, I really would just be doing it for a hobby and to have a nice camera for vacations and new areas as well. Definitely wouldn't be doing anything like trying to make money with photos. I absolutely love nature shots and getting really cool shots of things like that was my absolute favorite in Highschool.

I'd probably prefer less bulk, especially starting out. As I got more and more into it and actually realize the limitations of beginner cameras, maybe the size won't be too big of a deal for me. Honestly, I was initially looking at the SL1 as it looks tiny for an SLR but have read that something like the T6i is probably better at this point since it's similarly sized (sorta) and has a lot more features that will last longer.

Not really sure the difference between mirrored and mirrorless cameras but I guess the "purists" team to prefer mirrored cameras from what I've read?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nah, there's people on both sides. Some really love mirrorless, some really love traditional SLR's.

If you don't really have any specific mission in mind, I say you go for the T6i. Use it until you either fall in love or hate it so much you can't wait to get something else.. it'll help form your opinion for future purchases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

InFlames235 posted:

Thank you both for the feedback. In terms of this question, I really would just be doing it for a hobby and to have a nice camera for vacations and new areas as well. Definitely wouldn't be doing anything like trying to make money with photos. I absolutely love nature shots and getting really cool shots of things like that was my absolute favorite in Highschool.

I'd probably prefer less bulk, especially starting out. As I got more and more into it and actually realize the limitations of beginner cameras, maybe the size won't be too big of a deal for me. Honestly, I was initially looking at the SL1 as it looks tiny for an SLR but have read that something like the T6i is probably better at this point since it's similarly sized (sorta) and has a lot more features that will last longer.

Not really sure the difference between mirrored and mirrorless cameras but I guess the "purists" team to prefer mirrored cameras from what I've read?

It used to be that the serious cameras were DSLRs and mirrorless digital meant compact point and shoots. These days though with improvements in sensor miniaturisation, battery capacity and a market for good cameras that are also small, mirrorless cameras have grown into a viable alternative to the traditional DSLR. The downsides will be much worse battery life and possibly worse low-light performance. The upside is a camera that weighs a third of a DSLR with lenses that are small enough to fit in your pocket. For the sort of generalist stuff that you are talking about I doubt you'd have an issue with either choice to be honest. The mirrorless thread in here is full of people (including some pros) who have sold off their full-frame DSLRs and converted to mirrorless systems without feeling like they have lost out on anything.

There's nothing wrong with going for a mid-range DSLR, and if you start to build up a gear collection, then most of it will be migratable to your next body upgrade. Just be aware that the choice isn't as obvious as it was ten years ago.

• Locked thread