Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hahahaha that's hilariously loving broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

That card may be the card that makes me take a break from Netrunner. I was excited about the Red Sands cycle, but I have no desire to play against/with only horizontal decks for the next 2 years.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Wow. That's a console. ICE has never felt more pointless.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jan 3, 2017

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
loving hell. gently caress this game.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Well, that kills my interest in fully catching up.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
There have been plenty of chances for the designers of this game to walk back the imbalance between NBN/Anarch and the rest of the game, and they have consistently failed to do that. I'm going to assume incompetence as the playtesters of Netrunner are volunteers and not paid professionals who should be doing this poo poo for a living. It's loving mind boggling that, after statements saying they were looking to restrict cards that affected the design space of a game, they print a console that invalidates ICE.

Most of this won't matter for me because I only play at a casual level, but this is not going to make Netrunner look good competitively.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

You don't need playtesters to figure out that the card is wildly overpowered. I assume this is the card Damon had in mind when he said he'd been forced to buff something by higher-ups and that people would flip out when they saw it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

SIFR is like a mini Security Nexus, except it takes no link, costs 1 influence, combos with Parasite, gives 2 memory, and is in Anarch.

The translation is from french, it might be "reduce hand size to one" but that's still busted unless they're floating 2 brain.

Hahahaha what the gently caress.

Quoting for the new page.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Zephro posted:

You don't need playtesters to figure out that the card is wildly overpowered. I assume this is the card Damon had in mind when he said he'd been forced to buff something by higher-ups and that people would flip out when they saw it.

Apparently he's not working at FFG anymore, but that's all from Reddit, so take it with a grain of salt.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Afriscipio posted:

Apparently he's not working at FFG anymore, but that's all from Reddit, so take it with a grain of salt.

After seeing this card, I'm not really surprised.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That's ... a big downer. This is kinda reminding me of people talking about Doomtown (I didn't pay much attention to that game after one expansion so I don't know how close the parallels really are) and how it collapsed.

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

So balance is a myth then, got it.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Yithian posted:

So balance is a myth then, got it.

At 1 inf, all the factions get access to the busted console. Seems balanced to me :yum:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Static Equilibrium posted:

At 1 inf, all the factions get access to the busted console. Seems balanced to me :yum:
Should have made it neutral at zero inf imo!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
You guys don't understand, it's postironic balance.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Zephro posted:

This raises a lot more questions, such as "who the gently caress is above Damon that has such a boner for Anarch" and "who's mandating that a specific card be buffed, isn't that Damon's role" and, in general, "what the gently caress."

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
:10bux: says it's something featured in one of those garbage Android books.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
if it was from a book we'd have Diversity Otter as a console, because Monitor owns. :colbert:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

A card that much of an auto include seems like a bad thing to have hanging over your head before the new core set drops. I guess stuff rotates out so slowly that doesn't really factor in i get the feeling pretty much everyone is going to be unhappy with that being something that exists both because you have to play around it but also because of the implications of where the game is going in terms of design.

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

The Deleter posted:

This raises a lot more questions, such as "who the gently caress is above Damon that has such a boner for Anarch" and "who's mandating that a specific card be buffed, isn't that Damon's role" and, in general, "what the gently caress."

My suspicion is that the storyline/theme/fluff of each cycle includes which faction(s) are on top. It makes sense that Anarchs would dominate during the aftermath of the 23 Seconds Incident but if Fantasy Flight only wanted to print cards for one runner faction and one corp faction at a time, they shouldn't have bothered to create the concept at all!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The one influence on that card makes me think it's less of an "Anarchs are the best" card and more just bad overall design in general card since everyone is supposed to be using it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Can any French goons confirm it is, in fact, reduce hand size by one and not to one?

Also, what's the new meta that will evolve around this thing? Jinteki mind games? NBN Good Stuff? I would say tag n bag, but SIFR would only be used against super high strength (and thus cost) ice in that case, so good luck having enough Corp money.

E: NetRunner: An Eternity Of SIFRing.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 3, 2017

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Good luck killing a runner who has [tutorable] Aaron Marron out, by the way.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Afriscipio posted:

Looks like this is true.
https://fusionhaa.wordpress.com/2017/01/03/lead-designer-damon-stone-updates-facebook-page/

At this point I think I am just going to sell off my Netrunner stuff and wait to see how Legend of the Five Rings looks like in a few months.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

CodfishCartographer posted:

Can any French goons confirm it is, in fact, reduce hand size by one and not to one?

Not French, but somewhat Francophone. Yes, réduire de is "reduce by", "reduce to" is réduire à.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

With the lead designer gone I think now might be time for FF to start planning a total reset like they did with GoT and get some new people that know what they are doing (not saying the old guy didn't but it seems like they are adrift without a lead right now) but I'm not sure how well that would go over.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Tevery Best posted:

Not French, but somewhat Francophone. Yes, réduire de is "reduce by", "reduce to" is réduire à.

Any chance the translator hosed up? :unsmith:

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Radish posted:

With the lead designer gone I think now might be time for FF to start planning a total reset like they did with GoT and get some new people that know what they are doing (not saying the old guy didn't but it seems like they are adrift without a lead right now) but I'm not sure how well that would go over.

LordNat posted:

At this point I think I am just going to sell off my Netrunner stuff and wait to see how Legend of the Five Rings looks like in a few months.

I'm not sure I'd have the confidence in them pulling a reset 2nd Edition, and even though the bar was set exceedingly low by AEG I'm not willing to bet on L5R.

I really can't overstate how bummed I am, as I just started working to catch up my collection after taking a break for a while. The current cycle/red sands/the legacy campaign expansion had really renewed my interest but that card just kind of sums up a lot of issues with design they've had over the years crystalized into a single form.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

AgentF posted:

Any chance the translator hosed up? :unsmith:

The EN->FR translator? There's always some chance, but I somehow doubt people would miss something so important in a big game for a big company. That would easily be one of the largest fuckups I've ever seen in gaming translation.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I think it's probably worth waiting and seeing before selling your entire collection. There'll be a new MWL soon, and we haven't seen the Corp cards in the pack yet. Maybe hardware destruction will be a thing, or maybe there'll be ways to prevent ICE from being destroyed or something. The card may also look a little better once Liberated rotates out and Anarchs have slightly more money problems than they do right now.

I agree it's not a good card, but Rumour Mill is also a terrible card from a design perspective and that hasn't blown the meta apart as badly as some people (myself included) feared it might.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tevery Best posted:

The EN->FR translator? There's always some chance, but I somehow doubt people would miss something so important in a big game for a big company. That would easily be one of the largest fuckups I've ever seen in gaming translation.

Wizards, a company with actual QA, does gently caress up like that from time to time.

Here's hopin' :cheers:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Zephro posted:

I think it's probably worth waiting and seeing before selling your entire collection. There'll be a new MWL soon, and we haven't seen the Corp cards in the pack yet. Maybe hardware destruction will be a thing, or maybe there'll be ways to prevent ICE from being destroyed or something. The card may also look a little better once Liberated rotates out and Anarchs have slightly more money problems than they do right now.

I agree it's not a good card, but Rumour Mill is also a terrible card from a design perspective and that hasn't blown the meta apart as badly as some people (myself included) feared it might.

Maybe they’re going the Cube Draft route and just making everything OP, so thus nothing is! Throw in an operation that lets you rez a piece of ice for free, but forces you to trash the top 1-3 cards of R&D. Or an upgrade that lets you make a piece of ice protecting it unbreakable by trashing like 4-6 cards off R&D.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Wizards, a company with actual QA, does gently caress up like that from time to time.

Here's hopin' :cheers:

I'm blind, what's the problem with this card? (also your image is broken)

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

The thing with SIFR is that it would probably be fine (well, really strong, but not game-breaking) if Yog and Parasite didn't exist. Heck, if this is a prelude to banning Parasite, I'd be pretty happy overall.

Also there's some small chance that everything works out fine anyways because card evaluation is super hard.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

CodfishCartographer posted:

Maybe they’re going the Cube Draft route and just making everything OP, so thus nothing is! Throw in an operation that lets you rez a piece of ice for free, but forces you to trash the top 1-3 cards of R&D. Or an upgrade that lets you make a piece of ice protecting it unbreakable by trashing like 4-6 cards off R&D.

I'm blind, what's the problem with this card?
Worming Tablets

1 credit

Operation: Current

ICE cannot be trashed. The Corp's maximum hand size is reduced by 1

Neutral, 0 inf.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Static Equilibrium posted:

The thing with SIFR is that it would probably be fine (well, really strong, but not game-breaking) if Yog and Parasite didn't exist. Heck, if this is a prelude to banning Parasite, I'd be pretty happy overall.

Also there's some small chance that everything works out fine anyways because card evaluation is super hard.

Don't forget mimic!

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

The issue IMO is that installing (edit: and rezzing) an ice in a server should in general force the runner to pay O(n) resources based on the number of times they want to successfully run that server. Mimic (and, heck, Nexus and even Faust) follow this rule, whereas yog and parasite don't.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 3, 2017

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder who the "higher ups" Damon might have been referring to. Lukas? Nate French? I guess it was a quote from a Run Last Click podcast. I'm also curious who is the lead designer now. If Damon leaving FFG wasn't something that they had some lead time on, they might be in a weird spot.

Regarding bonkers cards, this is the last set before rotation, right? Maybe they are going to remove parasite or yog and they just haven't announced it yet, or something.

Unrelated to all this drama, I was thinking about building a cube after spending some time away from the game. Seems like the card pool should be big enough now to keep it interesting.

Also, I noticed the Terminal Directive preorder sold out last night on CSI, right as I was going to make an order :/

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I wonder who the "higher ups" Damon might have been referring to. Lukas? Nate French? I guess it was a quote from a Run Last Click podcast. I'm also curious who is the lead designer now. If Damon leaving FFG wasn't something that they had some lead time on, they might be in a weird spot.

Regarding bonkers cards, this is the last set before rotation, right? Maybe they are going to remove parasite or yog and they just haven't announced it yet, or something.

Unrelated to all this drama, I was thinking about building a cube after spending some time away from the game. Seems like the card pool should be big enough now to keep it interesting.

Also, I noticed the Terminal Directive preorder sold out last night on CSI, right as I was going to make an order :/

We have the entirety of Red Sand before rotation hits.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Drafting is still hella fun at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
If I want to play netrunner with you dorks but only have experience with the base set will I be poo poo on forever?

• Locked thread