Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Yes drink and be merry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
PLEASE DONT MECHSHAME

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Goddamnit. Want to spell "DO IT" on the back of my mech, but the D and the O look too similar.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
yeah! oo it!
e: use a shield shape for D instead?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Goddamnit. Want to spell "DO IT" on the back of my mech, but the D and the O look too similar.

I believe you can correct this with the crescent moon icon in some combination with a straight line or arrow.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I've been running a bunch of scout matches with a pub group today, and this guy using the Blackjack hero with 6 MGs and 3 MPLs is a monster. He pulled 700 damage one match.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Huh. That is an odd build.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Atlatl posted:

I've been running a bunch of scout matches with a pub group today, and this guy using the Blackjack hero with 6 MGs and 3 MPLs is a monster. He pulled 700 damage one match.

I run mine with 2LPLs, an ML, and 6mgs and yeah it's a beast.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Was going to maybe grab a Shadowcat in the last few hours of the sale before I go to bed but it looks like the server is down. :(

Edit: Maybe this is the game trying to tell me "don't buy a shadowcat, you moron"

Artificer fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 2, 2017

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Shadowcats are good and fun. 6 machine guns and 2 LPLs (on chainfire) can do some work.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Q_res posted:

Shadowcats are good and fun. 6 machine guns and 2 LPLs (on chainfire) can do some work.

No ECM huh?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Artificer posted:

No ECM huh?

MG shoulder takes the place of the ecm shoulder.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

MG shoulder takes the place of the ecm shoulder.

Yeah I know. I suppose the trade off can be worth it sometimes.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Don't put 2 lpl on chain fire or you'll spread your damage. You want to crack open an important component and then machinegun it until they are either dead or all of their weapons are broken.

The only reason to chain fire weapons is after you've hit the point that you're redlining your mech on heat, otherwise you're just spreading out damage and increasing the amount of time you have to be staring at the target when you could otherwise be A) taking cover or B) looking away from them to either shield or torso twist. You need to be slapped if you're chainfiring instead of just alpha striking if you aren't hovering at 80% heat.

If you're piloting the shadowcat right you don't need ECM to not be hit. You have to be using its MASC to pop in and out of cover after you've burnt your laser on target.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
saw a dude in a LRM raven today

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

kicked the poo poo out of a 4xLRM5 griffin earlier

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Still not as sad as a lrm Oxide.

Son, you're doing that wrong. :ughh:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Still not as sad as

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

an extremely apt pilot name

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

NihilCredo posted:

Still not as sad as

He was just building up his namesake rage.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Atlas D-DC. 2×ERPPC, 2×ALRM15.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Hi, I hate this game but for some reason I am playing it again. Can anyone recommend me a halfway decent Marauder-3R Build? I am not looking for something meta defining or anything like that, just something to mess about in for a couple of games in the evenings.

I was suggested 2xPPC, 2x UAC5 by some pubbies but the UAC5's require significant time facing your target to do damage and it feels to me like the mech would do better with a bigger alpha as it hasn't really got the armour to face off against any assaults or heavies.

I have a decent collection of engines from ye olden glory days so I can be pretty flexible with weight, currently running a special snowflake standard STD 275 on it with maxed armour, DHS, FF and Endo.

Also are there any good Raven-3L builds? I have the line mastered from the past but the 3xML + 2xStreakSRM2 doesnt seem to cut it anymore.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

You want to play a Marauder-3R and don't like too much facetime? Boy do I have the build for you.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

NihilCredo posted:

You want to play a Marauder-3R and don't like too much facetime? Boy do I have the build for you.

That is certainly a mech, reminds me of the gold old SRM Zombie Cent I used to have a lot of fun with! I think I will give it a try for tonight, cheers. Looking at stuff the Warhammer might be a better choice for my playstyle in the long run (I have no interest in clan mechs).

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NihilCredo posted:

As a former 3R jockey back in the day I approve. I stuck with triple AC/5s though because I was too lazy to do more than wiggle my nose while holding down a button but this is also good.

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Only the coldest prevail.
I've been wondering is there a thread for MW: Living Legends? Having more goon presence in that game would be nice.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Xii posted:

I've been wondering is there a thread for MW: Living Legends? Having more goon presence in that game would be nice.

Nope. Closest there is is this MWO thread and the Battletech Megathread in Trad Games ( which I didn't even know existed until I read this ).

There was a "Good Battletech Games" thread but that fell into the archive wayside when the Battletech Kickstarter thread went up. The MWO thread has been the only specific Mech Warrior thread that I've seen, honestly.

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Only the coldest prevail.

Skoll posted:

Nope. Closest there is is this MWO thread and the Battletech Megathread in Trad Games ( which I didn't even know existed until I read this ).

There was a "Good Battletech Games" thread but that fell into the archive wayside when the Battletech Kickstarter thread went up. The MWO thread has been the only specific Mech Warrior thread that I've seen, honestly.

I might consider opening one up, MWO has lost its "fun" in my opinion. When I found out MW:LL recently got updated I had to try it out.

Its the MW game I wish MWO was. The only problems I have with it is the lack of mech modification and the small pool of players ~20-60.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Ingame name is TescoBag. Can I get an invite to WoL?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

PPCs aren't really compatible with an AC/20 build. I've had much, much better luck with a 2x LPL 1x AC/20 build. The burn time on IS LPLs isn't so bad, so you can do the twist again, like we did last summer.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Phrosphor posted:

I was suggested 2xPPC, 2x UAC5 by some pubbies but the UAC5's require significant time facing your target to do damage and it feels to me like the mech would do better with a bigger alpha as it hasn't really got the armour to face off against any assaults or heavies.

That's not really so much a facetime build -- you want to poke out on the right, fire your PPCs and UAC/5s, get one or two extra volleys off with the UAC/5s, then get back into cover

it ends up being a pretty respectable amount of quick damage to (ideally) a single component and if you're on your twisting game they have to chew through a lot of armor/structure to get you

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It also helps that you can dead side it. That build corner peeks like crazy.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
The marauder isn't as helpless in a brawl as the Misery I've used that build with, but I found a lot of people are happy to get inside minimum range and slug it out when they see the PPCs are the only thing backing up the AC/20. I think the lpls are more practical unless you're playing group.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

yaay posted:

The marauder isn't as helpless in a brawl as the Misery I've used that build with, but I found a lot of people are happy to get inside minimum range and slug it out when they see the PPCs are the only thing backing up the AC/20. I think the lpls are more practical unless you're playing group.

I mean it's not terribly easy to get inside minimum range is the thing

unless you're out way away from your team anyone who gets that close is going to have to be fighting more than just you, and likely will be injured as well

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

God, I can't overstate how good the dakka King Crab is right now. I've been piloting it a lot more since they buffed the AC/2s, and I'm basically disappointed if I don't end the game with 4+ KMDDs and 1000+ damage. On paper I shouldn't win a staredown against any other 100-tonner with my lack of torso quirks and IS weaponry, but I consistently do, every time. I guess the blinding effect counts for a lot.

Don't worry about the arms - it has a +17 armour quirk, and I've literally never lost a claw. If I were to tweak anything it'd be dropping a ton of ammo (half UAC5 and half AC2) for an additional engine step, but buying a XL345 feels silly since it's such a suboptimal size, and I do still run out of ammo now and then.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

Pattonesque posted:

I mean it's not terribly easy to get inside minimum range is the thing

unless you're out way away from your team anyone who gets that close is going to have to be fighting more than just you, and likely will be injured as well

you'd think so, but it keeps happening

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah ok the black widowon sale was worth every bit of mc. Wow.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

night gyrs out for cbills today

dakka gyr is :fap: as gently caress

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
1 day of premium time, grab it before the end of January:

code:
JAN2017FPT
https://mwomercs.com/profile/redeem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
I'm only sorta ok at robots, but I want to play a bit of community robots when events come up or the GIRLs want to have a night on the town. Are Hellbringers the go to robot for this sort of thing? Now that the Night Girl is a cbill robot, does it have a place in a decent clan drop deck? Any other recommendations?

• Locked thread