Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Nahhh I'm going to the 7pm Monday showing. That gives me just enough time to take a train after work.
The posterboard I got from the first movie was nice, I hope they have something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUxP0xRu9Ms

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, is there still no legal way to watch Kizu part one if it wasn't in a theater near me?

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Rand Brittain posted:

So, is there still no legal way to watch Kizu part one if it wasn't in a theater near me?

Im up in Minnesota and have the same issue.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Man, my brother already saw Part 2 at Akibafest. :argh:

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Any of y'all seeing the film tonight in SF?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I missed all the showings because I had to prep for a move.

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
Saw it yesterday in Houston, was good like the first one, more action packed, had more memorable music to me and even an extended version of the song from the old trailer. I'm having some trouble remembering something from the end of the movie that was in the novel though, that being the tree powers, I remember the inspiration behind it being a conversation Araragi had with someone, probably Kiss Shot, but I don't remember that scene being in either movie so it took me by surprise until I remembered it. I haven't seen the first movie since it was in theaters so it may have been in there but I don't think it was.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Protodude posted:

Saw it yesterday in Houston, was good like the first one, more action packed, had more memorable music to me and even an extended version of the song from the old trailer. I'm having some trouble remembering something from the end of the movie that was in the novel though, that being the tree powers, I remember the inspiration behind it being a conversation Araragi had with someone, probably Kiss Shot, but I don't remember that scene being in either movie so it took me by surprise until I remembered it. I haven't seen the first movie since it was in theaters so it may have been in there but I don't think it was.

In the book, Oshino gives him the hint to abandon his humanity as an apology for letting Hanekawa get kidnapped.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kind of sucks to live in Maine and require a 2 hour carpool to the nearest showing in Boston, for this.

Good thing I'm 1) patient and 2) seeing Zaregoto's first OVA this Wednesday.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Learn to drive!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Namtab posted:

Learn to drive!
If I did I would actually have to pay student loans. I do not currently. Driving's scary.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Driving is easy + fun!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Holy poo poo, Shinobu (忍) is literally "heart" (心) under "blade (刃)"

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Holy poo poo, Shinobu (忍) is literally "heart" (心) under "blade (刃)"

Wasn't this explained in like the first or second episode?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I thought it was just a stupid nonsensicle word salad of a name to be honest.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

:same:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Even without that, it's still a really cool name.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

AnoHito posted:

Even without that, it's still a really cool name.
It sounds really chuuni.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

That's why it's cool

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Grouchio posted:

It sounds really chuuni.

Chuunis are cool :colbert:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

In Chinese 忍 means something like "endure" or "tolerate". Is it the same in Japanese, or is this one of the weird ones?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It means ninja.

Edit: More seriously, the more common meaning is "sneak/stealth", but apparently "endure" is still an archaic usage in some words?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Back from NYC. That was great! Well worth taking the halfday off at work.
Animation and sound design great as usual. Don't know what the hell was going on with Episode's face but the audience was laughing. And I'm really happy with the changes they made. Moving the fights away from the school was a good idea.

A theater employee was killing time and asked "describe this show in two words" over the loudspeaker, and the guy behind me yelled "loli vampire" :(

I'm kind of surprised that there's enough to fit another hour-long movie after this. iirc the book is pretty much over at this point?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Blue Ray has a release date.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
The first episode of the Zaregoto OVA is out (raw). It's been 7+ years since I read the novel, but this felt too diluted to do anything for me. Kubikiri Cycle was my first encounter with Nishio's writing, and it impressed me something fierce back then, so this is disappointing. Hard to say it's an issue with the adaptation and not just me getting desensitized to his style over the years, though.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Isn't that also the release date of the Bluray for the first movie? I'm confused.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Came back from seeing Nekketsu, actually liked part one better even though this one had all the fights in it.

The visual gags are great, but it feels like it's missing out on a lot of internal monologuing, which is a big part of what made the tv series so good. Nekketsu was also more gratuitous in the service shots, but it's a *gatari movie, so I came in kinda expecting that.

Rand Brittain posted:

Isn't that also the release date of the Bluray for the first movie? I'm confused.

First (JP) Bluray has been out since August.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Daedalus1134 posted:

First (JP) Bluray has been out since August.

Yeah, I didn't mean JP, though. Oh, well, December is definitely the date for the first one.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Finally saw Nekketsu, I really liked it. Araragi had a believable way to win all his fights despite having next to no fighting experience. Hanekawa kinda stole the show on this one though.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So good, sad we apparently missed out on teenager Shinobu, she just kinda jumped straight to young adult.

Geno33
Apr 6, 2002

I just watched it the other day as well, the fight in the rain rather impressed me with the animation - looked really pretty. Since a lot of shows are over now I actually started to watch the whole series over again. the toothbrush episode was just as funny as the first time

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kizu 2 was really good.

I'm not sure I like the almost exclusively 3D CGI backgrounds, but Monogatari is Monogatari so I wouldn't be surprised if they're purposely going for it to be sort of "disconnected" purely for effect, like the MSG bag, sandwiches or Hanekawa's panties whenever Araragi is holding them.

bobomb
Jul 22, 2005

Undisputed
Moe Master
I think I watched them all, can't remember.
Show ruined toothbrushes for me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Did the Blu-ray for Kizu 2 come out or was this for a theatrical run, I can never keep track of it anymore.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bluray is out in Japan at least.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Also, the first part of the Bakemonogatari novel is out in the US.

Not sure why Nisioisin wanted it released as three novels and not two (IIRC, it was him and not Vertical that made that decision), but it's nice to have it at all.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

The Sandman posted:

Also, the first part of the Bakemonogatari novel is out in the US.

Not sure why Nisioisin wanted it released as three novels and not two (IIRC, it was him and not Vertical that made that decision), but it's nice to have it at all.

I believe the Japanese e-book release was reformatted into 3 volumes as well. Maybe he decided the arcs flowed better that way or something.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
That means more new art for the covers, which I'm okay with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
BTW I'm fairly sure that BD versions of Koyomimonogatari has been out for a while, be sure to jump on those if you didn't already see them. I'm dying to know what happens next!