Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's not backer exclusive. CIG would never avoid offering something for sale deny fans the chance to access content.
I guess you are right.

I still find it lovely that after "pledging" for SQ42 I found that they had already planned a DLC for the non-existing vanilla game, and which later became a full episode, and a sequel to the non-existing game which later became episode 3.

But you know. You throw these on the pile until you get to the point where the stink compels you to get a refund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What do you think of Ben Parry's confession that the Lumberyard "swap" is a superficial joke?

And what do you think of the 'partnership' with Amazon? Don't you feel that entire post from CIG was a bit too grandiose? 'A complete bunch of lies', if you will.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

Ok. From what I hear, there will likely be one more 2.6 drop (2.6.1), which should include the first iteration of the "mega-map." That will be the primary test-bed for the Stanton (?) release in 3.0. There will be multiple stations, at least one full system to traverse as well as enhanced quantum travel and flight mechanics. My notes are still pretty vague, but hey: it's more than anyone else with a "source" on this gay thread, right?

Oh? Here, let me help.

It's all bullshit really; considering the stuff they ripped out of 2.6 in order to "release" it in Dec 2016. So yeah, doing several 2.6.x updates leading into 3.0 is expected.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AbstractNapper posted:

I guess you are right.

I still find it lovely that after "pledging" for SQ42 I found that they had already planned a DLC for the non-existing vanilla game, and which later became a full episode, and a sequel to the non-existing game which later became episode 3.

But you know. You throw these on the pile until you get to the point where the stink compels you to get a refund.

What's more irritating to me is that they explicitly said that the gameplay was shrinking. The latest estimate I heard was that each episode was supposed to include 20 hours of gameplay. Granted that was years ago but I have no reason to think that CIG has magically decided to give people more for their money.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

Honestly - no one gives a gently caress. At least have the audacity to monetize ads if you're going to peddle your absolute poo poo forum/blog/rants of a lunatic to others.

wow, you built up a lot of rage during the holidays

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

Oh? Here, let me help.

It's all bullshit really; considering the stuff they ripped out of 2.6 in order to "release" it in Dec 2016. So yeah, doing several 2.6.x updates leading into 3.0 is expected.

Come on Derek, we both know that none of that applies the instant Chris has moved on to the next slide.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

The threat of layoffs and getting stuck in an elevator will do that.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

TheLightPurges posted:

Jared has two jobs,is grey haired, and lives with a roommate.

Hope living in LA is worth it lol

I'd like to think Jared has started to write his memoirs

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

I gotta say, I really didn't expect it from him. I wanted more smug, but instead it looks like he was literally Mark during and now after the holidays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ38jTQcO1k

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

He's moved to stage 2 of feeling grief: anger

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
"Shills, Scams and Spaceship Fans"

Star Citizen: The Inside Story

by

J.Huckerby

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

Honestly - no one gives a gently caress. At least have the audacity to monetize ads if you're going to peddle your absolute poo poo forum/blog/rants of a lunatic to others.

Since I'm not actively running a scam; and this is just a hobby, there is no monetary gain to be had. But thanks for your concern though.

ps: do stay salty

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Chalks posted:

Derek, do you know what's actually going on with this lumberyard "switch"? Because from most of what I've heard it doesn't involve making any changes what so ever and seems to be simply a way to get Amazon to support them if/when Crytech goes bust.

You seem to be implying that there's some work involved in the Lumberyard switch, but since they've said merging with cryengine 3.8 would be impossible, I'm not sure what they'd be trying to do.

I wrote an entire update section about it in my latest blog. Scroll down the middle where you see Ben's programmer art

http://dereksmart.com/2016/12/star-citizen-irreconcilable-differences/

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Unlike MOMA, I'm very happy for 3.0 dropping before mid-year.

The Jesus patch will keep me too busy having fun in the 'verse, so I don't have to buy that cookie-cutter reskin of an old game called Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Two things you all NEED to know:

1) If shitizens enjoy Wing Commander: The Movie then they will enjoy the Squadron 42 story. There's no way CR can mess up unless there are actual technical issues. Lack of Co-op is a huge-rear end issue in this day and age, lack of VR a little bit less so.

2) I could be walking around naked with a raging boner and have a history of making a living posting pictures online of me doing so, it still doesn't give a woman the right to grab it and start stroking it simply because it's there. Just because you perceive somebody is "asking for it" doesn't mean that perception is reality. Since a lot of modern men have trouble with this, a good rule of thumb is to just wait for the third date. Maybe try kissing her on the second date if she is touching you a lot and laughs at your jokes.

EVEN if they were dating or married, it's still unprofessional to be doing PDA

Amarcarts fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 3, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sillybones posted:

I loving beat you with all this news. Look above. Don't rehash poo poo.

Nice try.

10/31/2016

http://dereksmart.com/forums/topic/star-citizen-musings/#post-4746

quote:

So with all the actions that CIG/RSI have taken in their on-going desperate cash grab, it’s clear to see how easy it would be for them to go back on the statements and promises that the project would remain a PC exclusive. It’s the natural progression of things. But here’s the thing, as I’ve written (1, 2, 3) extensively about Squadron 42 in my blogs, not only did they walk back various promises for that game, but they also split it earlier this year into a separate purchase in order to yield more money. Given that, as well as the history and the desperate need to keep raising money – especially now that it has been made clear that by the 4.0 release (slated for end of 2017), Star Citizen won’t even be 50% complete – it makes perfect sense that they would want to release SQ42 on consoles in order to make some money on that platform. Just like Elite Dangerous did, when they released it via the XBox Preview program, Microsoft’s equivalent of Early Access on the PC.

12/27/2016

http://dereksmart.com/2016/12/star-citizen-irreconcilable-differences/

quote:

All of a sudden, those rumors of an inevitable console port aren’t looking so far-fetched now after all, are they?

Your move.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Ok. From what I hear, there will likely be one more 2.6 drop (2.6.1), which should include the first iteration of the "mega-map." That will be the primary test-bed for the Stanton (?) release in 3.0. There will be multiple stations, at least one full system to traverse as well as enhanced quantum travel and flight mechanics. My notes are still pretty vague, but hey: it's more than anyone else with a "source" on this gay thread, right?

So your prediction is nothing new in 3.0 ? I think you are on something for the first time.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

I'm gonna doxx my source. Here goes:

it's this thread

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

I thought flight mechanics (FM 2.0) was in 2.6 already

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

-SQ42 will, at the very least, have a level (or few levels) drop this year. Though, I'm optimistic for a full release before end-of-year.

SQ42 in 2014 2015 2016, now optimistic for end of 2017.

Welcome back, you make me laugh.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

In the name of posterity and given CIG staffers, Shillizens, Shitizens penchant for revisionist history.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 3, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I thought flight mechanics (FM 2.0) was in 2.6 already

They are. There's even less physics than ever before. Now everyone is waiting for FM 3.0, perhaps to coincide with alpha 4.0. :D

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
Chapter 1: The Messiah Returns

Chapter 2: The Money Pit

Chapter 3: The Cult Conundrum

Chapter 4: He, Smart

Chapter 5: We Need to Talk About Sandi

Chapter 6: What Goes Up, Must Come Down

Chapter 7: Space Court

Chapter 8: The Emancipation of Lando

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Come on Derek, we both know that none of that applies the instant Chris has moved on to the next slide.

True, but I was just helping MoMa with his memory, seeing as the cat ate his notes apparently.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Console release conjecture has been around since at least 2015. But just like your blog posts, it's piss in the wind until someone comes along with concrete proof.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

ManofManyAliases posted:

I was actually enjoying my holiday break off and not tweeting endlessly like a dumb-gently caress.

thanks for processing my refund toast. I now have a new hotas here. something tangible and usable unlike star citizen.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

his nibs posted:

I'd like to think Jared has started to write his memoirs

Is there a way to fund this? I'm being serious.

I'd throw down a 20 for a completely honest interview/book.

We could all submit the questions we'd like answered, the mods (beer, beet) could winnow out the best ones, and Jared must answer them fully to get the pot o' money.

Or hell, he could start a kickstarter for the tell all (it could just be a long blog post and save him the money/time of printing) with the amount of money he'd want to spill the beans.

Or any CIG employee if Jared doesn't want money.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

We could all submit the questions we'd like answered, the mods (beer, beet) could winnow out the best ones, and Jared must answer them fully to get the pot o' money.

Or hell, he could start a kickstarter for the tell all (it could just be a long blog post and save him the money/time of printing) with the amount of money he'd want to spill the beans.

Pictures by Ben Parry

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

It would be awesome but ~NDAs~ :shrug:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Eldragon posted:

Console release conjecture has been around since at least 2015. But just like your blog posts, it's piss in the wind until someone comes along with concrete proof.

Clearly you're ignorant and behind the curve if you don't know that until it becomes a reality, everything - and anything - about Star Citizen is all conjecture. And that includes the premise that they are actually making a game.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

his nibs posted:

What if it's just drama stuff not pertaining to what's actually in the game?

Also, don't NDA's have jurisdictions? What if the person quit CIG and moved back out of state, or back to Canada? Don't NDA's have scope? I'm pretty sure there's a lot of stuff we'd want to hear about that aren't covered.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

his nibs posted:

He's gonna end up homeless in any case, the question is who he'll blame for it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

his nibs posted:

Not everyone signs a NDA when they leave.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

spacetoaster posted:

Also, don't NDA's have jurisdictions? What if the person quit CIG and moved back out of state, or back to Canada? Don't NDA's have scope? I'm pretty sure there's a lot of stuff we'd want to hear about that aren't covered.

uh mr, huckleby, sir..? (how the gently caress do you knock on a cardboard fridge box, that's just rude) yeah *scratch scratch* I've come to serve you a summons for, uh. you know what,

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

He's gonna end up homeless in any case, the question is who he'll blame for it.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

:10bux: I'm in :10bux:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Why is everyone so angry all of a sudden? :gonk:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

TheLightPurges posted:

Jared has two jobs,is grey haired, and lives with a roommate.

Hope living in LA is worth it lol

That elevator looked pretty trashy, too, and was out of certification. I guess that's how much money you make working for CIG, while still having another job. Santa Monica isn't cheap, though, but still.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

his nibs posted:

I don't know much about NDAs so I went and read some stuff.

You can't be put in jail for breaking an NDA. It's not criminal law.

You can be sued, but that only works if you have money to be sued for. And apparently juries don't really like companies that go after employees.

I'm sure NDAs are somewhat enforcable, but it seems they're mostly a scare tactic.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Probably true too.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

I was actually enjoying my holiday break off and not tweeting endlessly like a dumb-gently caress.

Ah, coming back to work at the forums is an invigorating change of pace hey Toast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ok. Who's going to contact him?

Beer, you're a cool guy. Think you could convince him to start a kickstarter?