Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

My absolutely favorite terrible movie, Rising Sun, features a literal senpai Connery to kohai Snipes relationship in a neo-noir mishmash of appreciation for and racist fear of Japanese culture and their early 90's economic peak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Color of Money jumps to mind.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Oliver Reed posted:

Not the most straight-forward request but I'm looking for movies featuring veteran actors as sort of mentors/guides to younger talent. Examples would be:

Robert Shaw in Jaws as a veteran fisherman working with Roy Scheider and Richard Dreyfuss
Sean Connery in The Untouchables as a veteran cop who helps Kevin Costner
Alec Guinness as a mentor to Mark Hamill in A New Hope

Those are the best examples I can think of; essentially great actors past their prime 'coaching' young stars.

These are what comes to mind so I hope they fit what you are looking for:

Accidental mentordoms (i.e. dramas with a generous dose of comedy to them): Gene Hackman and Al Pacino in Scarecrow, Jeff Bridges and Hailee Steinfeld in True Grit, Jack Nicholson and Randy Quaid in The Last Detail, Jerry Lewis and Robert DeNiro in The King of Comedy, Albert Finney and Gabriel Byrne in Miller's Crossing

Comedies: Harry Dean Stanton and Emilio Estevez in Repo Man, virtually every Wes Anderson film but especially Rushmore and The Grand Budapest Hotel, Martin Landau and Johnny Depp in Ed Wood

Dramas and / or outright dysfunctional mentordoms: Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (spoilers!!!), JK Simmons and Miles Teller in Whiplash, Paul Newman and Brandon de Wilde in Hud, Paul Newman and Tom Cruise in The Color of Money, , Sean Connery and Christian Slater in The Name of the Rose, a lot of latter day Clint Eastwood films but especially Gran Torino, Jean Reno and Natalie Portman in Leon, probably most PT Anderson films but especially Hard Eight (aka Sydney) and The Master

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Hi! Does anyone have any recommendations for things like Into the Wild, Wildlike, Wild (lol), Easy Rider, Happy People. Basically like some Americana wanderlust/living off the grid. Something you watch where you're like "drat id love to drive cross country in a camper van and go to the national parkS" or "I just want to live a little off the grid but not necessarily like a complete maniac". Basically just want to escape city living for a bit.

I thought Wildlike was complete garbage, even more ham-fisted than Wild. If you're into the more masochistic/unorthodox portrayal of wanderlust, I'd recommend Tracks, about the woman who walked across the Australian outback with nothing but a camel, and the documentary The Barkley Marathons about the best-worst race in the world that takes place in rural Tennessee.

God Hole fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 3, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Since the Color of Money came up, should also mention The Hustler with George C Scott mentoring Paul Newman.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Uh, Paul Newman was two years older and been in film for longer, according to his imdb profile.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coaaab posted:

Uh, Paul Newman was two years older and been in film for longer, according to his imdb profile.

His character is more mature and acts as a mentor even if the actor's ages are pretty close. The woman who played Cary Grant's mom in North by Northwest was only 8 years older than him.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Oliver Reed posted:

Not the most straight-forward request but I'm looking for movies featuring veteran actors as sort of mentors/guides to younger talent. Examples would be:

Robert Shaw in Jaws as a veteran fisherman working with Roy Scheider and Richard Dreyfuss
Sean Connery in The Untouchables as a veteran cop who helps Kevin Costner
Alec Guinness as a mentor to Mark Hamill in A New Hope

Those are the best examples I can think of; essentially great actors past their prime 'coaching' young stars.

Charles Bronson to Jan-Michael Vincent in The Mechanic
Clint Eastwood to Jeff Bridges in Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
If I loved Attack The Block, what are some similar films to watch?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Cockneys vs. Zombies

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Leavemywife posted:

Edgar Wright is the next closest thing, really. Cornish and Wright were working together on Ant-Man for a reason

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

In the span of two weeks, I've watched Saving Private Ryan again, The Pacific, Band of Brothers and Letters From Iwo Jima for the first time, Flags of Our Fathers is at halftime on Netflix and I'm watching The Thin Red Line right now. I've always loved Spielberg's WW2, I honestly think Eastwood's is pretty bland and bad, and I loving adore Terrence Malick so The Thin Red Line is working for me.

What's next in regards to war? I've seen the classic Vietnam ones, Platoon, FMJ and Apocalypse Now, seen Black Hawk Down, and probably some more I'm forgetting. I'm a fan of Spielberg's realistic style and Malick's philosophical ramblings/stunning cinematography.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Black Griffon posted:

In the span of two weeks, I've watched Saving Private Ryan again, The Pacific, Band of Brothers and Letters From Iwo Jima for the first time, Flags of Our Fathers is at halftime on Netflix and I'm watching The Thin Red Line right now. I've always loved Spielberg's WW2, I honestly think Eastwood's is pretty bland and bad, and I loving adore Terrence Malick so The Thin Red Line is working for me.

What's next in regards to war? I've seen the classic Vietnam ones, Platoon, FMJ and Apocalypse Now, seen Black Hawk Down, and probably some more I'm forgetting. I'm a fan of Spielberg's realistic style and Malick's philosophical ramblings/stunning cinematography.

Try Hope & Glory and Enemy at the Gates. The former is another 70s auteur's take, albeit a more personal one. The latter covers the siege of Leningrad, which I thought was a really interesting military situation.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

It's older, but check out Paths of Glory. One of the best war films.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Come and See. Just... Come and See

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Thanks folks, will check out.

Finished The Thin Red Line and I adore Terrence Malick even more now. What a beautiful film.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Spatulater bro! posted:

It's older, but check out Paths of Glory. One of the best war films.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

WWI got all the good films: Paths of Glory, Lawrence of Arabia, All Quiet on the Western Front, La Grande Illusion. No wonder they called it the Great War.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Want to watch something fairly light and upbeat. Not necessarily a comedy, but something that kinda zips along and just has a good time. Somewhere in the range of a Joe Versus the Volcano or maybe an Everybody Wants Some!!. Not a straight-up comedy or anything with too much action or drama. Just something that's a real good time at the movies.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

See Generation Kill next if you haven't already.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

feedmyleg posted:

Want to watch something fairly light and upbeat. Not necessarily a comedy, but something that kinda zips along and just has a good time. Somewhere in the range of a Joe Versus the Volcano or maybe an Everybody Wants Some!!. Not a straight-up comedy or anything with too much action or drama. Just something that's a real good time at the movies.

I mean, there's millions of those movies. Dave, The Princess Bride, Hugo, Amelie, Moulin Rouge!, Life of Pi, Jumanji, Harry Potter, Willow, Chungking Express (though it does have a bittersweet undertone), Dazed and Confused

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Leavemywife posted:

For British horror movies that don't take themselves too seriously, Dog Soldiers is a blast.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Pablo Bluth posted:

For British horror movies that don't take themselves too seriously, Dog Soldiers is a blast.

Ben Wheatley is probably appropriate too. Sightseers is probablly the closest to Attack the Block in tone, but Kill List is also pretty gritty, just not as energetic. I absolutely loathed Kill List, but I respect it for the risks it takes.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

feedmyleg posted:

Singin' in the Rain

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
e: oops, wrong thread.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Looking for indie films shot on low to no budget along the lines of Clerks or Slacker.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

stranger than paradise, metropolitan, the unbelievable truth, kicking and screaming, the color wheel

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 10, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Looking for indie films shot on low to no budget along the lines of Clerks or Slacker.

Stranger Than Paradise bruh.

Comedy option: The Blair Witch Project.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Rubber (2010) - $600,000.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Bongo Bill posted:

Rubber (2010) - $600,000.

I didn't know this was the thread for pranks.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Tape (budget $100,000 in 2001)
Eraserhead (budget $20,000 in 1978)
Tetsuo
Pi (budget $68,000 in 1998)

e: When you say "along the lines of Clerks or Slacker" did you mean budget-wise or thematically? Cause I assumed the former.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jan 10, 2017

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Similar in budget mainly but thematically is fine too as long as it's low budget and indie. Stranger Than Paradise was a good recommendation I enjoyed it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Similar in budget mainly but thematically is fine too as long as it's low budget and indie. Stranger Than Paradise was a good recommendation I enjoyed it.

Honestly if you liked Stranger Than Paradise and want to branch out from no budget to low budget I'd say you should watch 2 Days in New York.

edit: it's on Netflix!

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Carnival of Souls
Fear and Desire

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Brick
Ink
Primer

Parachute
May 18, 2003
paranorman activities

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

fat bossy gerbil posted:

If you want to try out mid-20th century stuff, look out for little fugitive, shadows, david holzman's diary, killer of sheep

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

fat bossy gerbil posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumblecore

I can personally recommend Funny Ha Ha, Mutual Appreciation, Hannah Takes the Stairs, Humpday and Medicine For Melancholy

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Humpday was surprisingly great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
I'm looking for war movies. Things that are super almost retarded action packed specifically, like 13 Hours, Black Hawk Down, We Were Soldiers (or whatever that Mel Gibson movie was). I was not a huge fan of ones that are more psychological like the Thin Red Line, etc.

I really like:

Platoon
13 Hours
Black Hawk Down
Saving Private Ryan
We Were Soldiers

Also if it includes a political plot like 13 days, etc. then that works fine.

Basically I am looking for action-packed war movies. I have to spend the next 48 hours in a shithole city in Kansas with nothing to do but drink myself into an incoherent stupor and watch movies.

Any suggestions?

• Locked thread