Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

bef posted:

Dolphins pretty amazing I'll tell you whut

They are among the smartest of all the animals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bleck posted:

It's unlikely that they'd change the resolution of the titles for numerous reasons.

I'm curious what the reasoning to this would be.

bef posted:

I think it's worth playing but I dont think it's as hyped of a game as people make it out to be, just a good adventure game.

It's one of the better ones due to it's characters and setting. The whole game is charming as all hell and was one of the last adventure games I can remember that didn't start going dark and "moody," wasn't that around the time of the Jakk and Daxter Sequels and Prince of Persia going metal?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I %100ed BG&E and it was fine but I honestly don't see what the big deal was or think of it as some forgotten gem.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

greatn posted:

I %100ed BG&E and it was fine but I honestly don't see what the big deal was or think of it as some forgotten gem.

I think it was a strong female protagonist thing in an age where that was a LOT more rare. Women game peoples seem to always consider it that gem.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Dolphin is a awful name for a console. why would you name something that on every 8 year old girls trapper keeper.

if you hate the wii name but think Dolphin is good then your braindead. both are poo poo.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 3, 2017

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Thank god someone finally said it

Electromax
May 6, 2007

greatn posted:

I don't remember it super well, but I remember it had some neat ideas with the photography and mixed stealth sections with melee combat with vehicle stuff and none of it was completely botched. It was a little mixup of genres and some pretty solid voice acting for the time. Also a cool soundtrack.

Should replay it someday to see how it fits my memory of ~15 years ago.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

dolphins, like colorful trapper keepers, are cool

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's one of the better ones due to it's characters and setting. The whole game is charming as all hell and was one of the last adventure games I can remember that didn't start going dark and "moody," wasn't that around the time of the Jakk and Daxter Sequels and Prince of Persia going metal?

lol the color pallette is friendly but that game is dark and moody to hell and back

e: still don't understand why its called beyond good and evil

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

bef posted:

lol the color pallette is friendly but that game is dark and moody to hell and back

e: still don't understand why its called beyond good and evil

It's still all pretty light-hearted and the characters aren't tearing at the seams with attitude.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
if you hate dolphins i feel really bad for you

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I remember BGE as having likeable characters, fun stealth, and a story that managed to take on the idea of vigilante journalism without disappearing up its own rear end. It's not so.e kind of revelatory all-time classic, though.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
a pod of dolphins could defeat a pack of raptors

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i wonder how dolphin tastes like

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

HyperPuma posted:

what if you cobind the dna of a dolphin's with a raptor's, ISIS will be hella dead

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Kurtofan posted:

like tuna. so loving good.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Kurtofan posted:

You can buy sea mammal meat in Japan if you're actually curious.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bombadilillo posted:

Bringing it back to video games, I have wanted a Far Cry style open world set in overrun Jurassic Park 10 years later. I got Far Cry Primal which was a thing, but full Jurassic Park would be great.

Mix it with robots and that's basically Horizon.

Sakurazuka posted:

What if the T-rex also has RPGs strapped to it???? Or lasers

Again, premise of Horizon Zero Dawn.

Guy Goodbody posted:

If they're trapped doing the same story over and over again forever, maybe they shouldn't make any more Alien movies.

But then how will we get the Alien petting zoo movie?

I'm not even kidding, there's an Alien sequel script floating around Hollywood that has face huggers infecting a farm, and things get really Cronenbergy. Including a sheep that has a woman's face growing out it's butt.

Guy Goodbody posted:

the Switch has a special chip that will only let it run good games.

They're going back to the days of the Nintendo seal of quality, and demanding games be as good as titles like Superman 64 or Dr. Jekkyl and Mr. Hyde.

Bass Bottles posted:

They are among the smartest of all the animals

And the rapiest.

HyperPuma posted:

Well yeah, a raptor is about the size of a turkey. You could just kick em to death

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

youcallthatatwist posted:

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2017/01/a-deep-dive-on-lpvgs-nintendo-switch-reports-and-info/

here is a final list of all of laura's leaks if you're curious, along with info rmation for where each leak came from. Personally I believe it all, and knowing thus stuff ahead of time makes me more excited, not less. don't look if you don't believe her or don't want to be spoiled i guess

That was a really good read and i'm even more excited for the 12th. The only thing i'm bummed with is the system's memory.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Are you saying the Switch has the wrong RAM?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

i'm pretending this probe is for besmirching our good friend the raptor

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

There's a good goon LP of it, it'd probably be the better way of doing it just for the added commentary. The game still plays well but somethings feel really dated like the combat. Worth picking up if you find it cheap enough.

You got a link?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Is the Switch clocking down to 40% on battery true? If so how will this affect games. If the whole idea is seemless transition on the go and docked does everything have to be built for the lower specs?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm pretending this probe is for besmirching our good friend the raptor

You better believe it. I've always been Team Raptor. Heck, the Toronto Raptors even get a pass!!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Bombadilillo posted:

Is the Switch clocking down to 40% on battery true? If so how will this affect games. If the whole idea is seemless transition on the go and docked does everything have to be built for the lower specs?

Lower resolution on screen and shadows means they don't need as much fine detail as you would need for 1080p for 720p.

Also who the gently caress knows We will find out next week.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bombadilillo posted:

When you go from 1080p to 720p you're pushing about %40 of the pixels. It's not entirely as simple as that and some settings will need to be reduced, but it roughly works out. Only the GPU is downclocked. The CPU stays running at the same rate.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Bombadilillo posted:

From what I understand, UE4 includes different detail/resolutions settings for docked & undocked. So potentially your game could be in lower detail when undocked, then you plug it in, and get the better models or lighting or whatever. Presumably companies writing their own engines can access the same stuff, and anyone that's made PC games with graphics settings available wouldn't have much trouble making their games adjust.

Everything would have to be built to run on the lower specs (because you don't want to release a game that only runs in dock mode), but the graphic quality can bump up so it looks better on the bigger screen.

And the 40% thing isn't confirmed, just that it will run at higher power on the dock when it doesn't have to worry about battery life or cooling.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
On mobile, Breath of the Wild will switch to use Ocarina of Time models for efficiency.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

I have never played BGE. Should I grab it on ps3 or just watch a good LP?

the new one is going to be a reboot so it doesn't matter

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Electromax posted:

On mobile, Breath of the Wild will switch to use Ocarina of Time models for efficiency.

Legend of Zelda maker: switch between graphical styles during dungeons as a puzzle gimmick

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

What do you think the virtual console situation will be on switch? I never owned a wii or Wii U. It would be great if I could play skyward sword or twilight princess port while waiting for breath of the wild.

I hope they have Trip World again. It completely floored me when I found out this quirky little platformer was purchasable on my 3DSXL. Optimally I'd like to just use the games I already bought on the Switch, too. But I know this is Nintendo and it's the year 2017, so my dreams may be hopeless.

Anyway, if it's just 3 bucks again, I'll just shrug and buy it again. Because holy poo poo is this stupid little game fun!

Trip World by the way, was so obscure some years ago it had prices ranging in the triple digits on eBay for a while. Not bad for a tiny little Gameboy-game. :3:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

LionArcher posted:

You got a link?

http://lparchive.org/Beyond-Good-and-Evil/

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Does Sands of Time hold up as well as BG&E these days?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

This is really bad. Sound is all hosed up. Basically, it's unwatchable.

I realize this is largely because it is 8 years old and LPs were in their infancy. But still, I got a few minutes in and just turned it off.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What are the odds they'll just throw Beyond Good and Evil in with Beyond Good and Evil 2 like with Bayonetta

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Guy Goodbody posted:

What are the odds they'll just throw Beyond Good and Evil in with Beyond Good and Evil 2 like with Bayonetta

It seems more likely that they'll throw ten minutes of Beyond Good and Evil 2 into a Beyond Good and Evil remake.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

youcallthatatwist posted:

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2017/01/a-deep-dive-on-lpvgs-nintendo-switch-reports-and-info/

here is a final list of all of laura's leaks if you're curious, along with info rmation for where each leak came from. Personally I believe it all, and knowing thus stuff ahead of time makes me more excited, not less. don't look if you don't believe her or don't want to be spoiled i guess

Waht the gently caress is Retro working on

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If it's another monkey kong game I'm going to be sad

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nintendo will have finally learned their lesson, and put Retro onto the complete remake of Other M as a portable arena shooter where you play as the military.

Federation Other Force 2M coming out next fall for the Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If Retro's making it it'll be a good game at least

• Locked thread