Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Popete posted:

Obama do this country one last favour and call in a drone strike.

Sorry Popete, but that'd take a B-52 with a bunker buster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Does he have a kid?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

tadashi posted:

Does he have a kid?

Probably thousands

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

:laffo:

How come I've never seen this before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTikOHMCNLg

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

giambi loving ruled and i miss seeing his barrel of a body around. he should be coaching somewhere, at least

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It always stuns me when I remember Jason GIambi played seven years after his stint with the Yankees. He just fell completely out of my personal awareness unless I actually saw a picture of him or something.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Abel Wingnut posted:

giambi loving ruled and i miss seeing his barrel of a body around. he should be coaching somewhere, at least

He essentially was a coach those last few years.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Opinion: The Jays should stop being such ridiculous dipshit assholes and sign Bautista already.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Grittybeard posted:

It always stuns me when I remember Jason GIambi played seven years after his stint with the Yankees. He just fell completely out of my personal awareness unless I actually saw a picture of him or something.

Wait, he did?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Mariners are going to be just good enough that you think they should be able to do better, but still miss the second wildcard by 1-2 games again, right?

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

GeneX posted:

Wait, he did?

:smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU3n6835BhI

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Chexoid posted:

Opinion: The Jays should stop being such ridiculous dipshit assholes and sign Bautista already.

Counter opinion: Joey Bats should sign with the Astros to create a lineup of death

Springer
Bregman
Altuve
Correa
Joey
Beltran
Gurriel
McCann/Gattis
Reddick

:swoon:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I spaced on baseball from like 97 to two years ago and Houston being in the AL is still hosed up to me

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It sucks pretty hard and Bud Selig can go gently caress himself, but at least the Astros aren't entering their contention window in the same division as the Cubs I guess

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

R.D. Mangles posted:

This week on Cowboy and the Hawk, West foils a jewel thief by disguising his neck as a second head. Harrelson tries to escape from a collapsing supermarket display of canned corn. "Dagnabbit," he says.

:laffo:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:siren: Today is the last day to vote on the SAS MLB Hall of Fame 2017 ballot! :siren: Vote! Tell other people to vote! There are multiple dudes where one or two votes could mean everything!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I spaced on baseball from like 97 to two years ago and Houston being in the AL is still hosed up to me

Same, also the Brewers

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It still annoys me the Mariners did jack poo poo in the advantage of a 4 team division all those years before the Astros joined.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

Same, also the Brewers
That one somehow doesn't bother me cause I guess I've just never had any reason to notice the Brewers, whereas the Astros had a bunch of stars when I was paying attention as a kid.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

seiferguy posted:

It still annoys me the Mariners did jack poo poo in the advantage of a 4 team division all those years before the Astros joined.

Brett Lawrie, whom the Brewes picked with the final true first round pick of Jack Z's tenure in Milwaukee, has more career WAR than all of Jack Z's picks in his tenure with Seattle. That probably won't be true eventually but, if Lawrie keeps getting starts and playing good defense, he could hold off the field a little while longer.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

tadashi posted:

Brett Lawrie, whom the Brewes picked with the final true first round pick of Jack Z's tenure in Milwaukee, has more career WAR than all of Jack Z's picks in his tenure with Seattle. That probably won't be true eventually but, if Lawrie keeps getting starts and playing good defense, he could hold off the field a little while longer.

Are you considering first round picks only? Cause Kyle Seager has been worth more than double what Lawrie has.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

He essentially was a coach those last few years.

I thought this said he was a couch and I pictured him as a Colon-sized DH.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

I thought this said he was a couch and I pictured him as a Colon-sized DH.

well,

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Are you considering first round picks only? Cause Kyle Seager has been worth more than double what Lawrie has.

Yes. It's just a fun fact, I guess.

Also, as a 3rd rounder, Jack Z would have been a little less involved with picking Seager.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
This is the doldrums of the offseason and it sucks. Nothing is happening, there's nobody left on the FA market that anyone cares about, and it's 6 weeks before even pitchers and catchers report.

God drat I want it to be Opening Day....

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Your Taint posted:

This is the doldrums of the offseason and it sucks. Nothing is happening, there's nobody left on the FA market that anyone cares about, and it's 6 weeks before even pitchers and catchers report.

Think piece:

Maybe someone should sign somebody or make a trade?

Also: Thank God I am not a Blue Jays fan. How the hell do you assemble one of the most dangerous lineups and probably the best left-side of the infield in baseball and then decide to just take a back seat? The Orioles have not really had the kind of setup the Jays have had for the last couple seasons and they just keep coming.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 3, 2017

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Your Taint posted:

I'm about to start RA Dickey's book and/or Knuckleball plus I just might reread Lords of the Realm. Plus I have OOTP and The Show.

I'll still probably just play WoW instead.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Taint posted:

I care about Joey Bats

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Heyman gave us something to talk about today, with a fairly lengthy and surprisingly introspective column on his HoF ballot.

On the one hand, he deserves props for things like this

Hey Man posted:

This year for instance, I loosened up my own standards, which is really an admission about my previous 20 or so ballots. Yes, after about two decades of voting, I finally decided I need to cast votes for the maximum 10 players. That quite likely implies a fairly stark reality: I should have voted for more players on previous ballots.

But this year, after two decades of voting I finally realized that many if not most of us have simply been too tough on these great players, voting in only the most obvious of Hall of Famers while keeping out some other great players, and even disregarding some really good ones, many of whom deserved at least a longer look than the one year we often gave them.

So, what that basically means is that I’ve ditched my original small-Hall thinking. What I think now is that the “new stat” generation, which is generally more inclusive than us older guys, has been correct all along on that score. And what it also means is that I will be voting for at least 10 players on each ballot, at least for the foreseeable future.

and on steroids:

Hey Man posted:

We don’t know everything we think we know. For instance, we don’t know everyone who cheated, or how often they cheated, or certainly how much it helped.

So it isn’t easy.

Maybe it shouldn’t be. Maybe we brought this on ourselves by doing a bad job in our role of vigilance.

Then he goes on to vote for Bonds but not Clemens because he's pretty sure Bonds didn't start using till 1999 but Clemens started after he left Boston. Also Posada and McGriff over Walker/Bagwell. Spent lots of time explaining that he'd like to vote for Schilling but the journalist lynching thing was just "beyond the pale" for him.

I also enjoyed this, from his section on Vlad

Hey Man posted:

(every post-World War II player with a .318 average and at least 5,000 plate appearances is in the Hall, according to MLB Network research)
I imagine him calling up some intern at MLB Network and making the guy check this kind of thing on B-Ref for him because Heyman can't figure out how to use the play index himself.

Lots to unpack here

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 3, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

"Didn't vote for Bagwell" is all I need to see to tell him to gently caress off :colbert:

e: Bagwell is lower on his list than Schilling for character reasons? Yeah definitely gently caress off Heyman

Intruder fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 3, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

How are you not voting for Bagwell at this point, particularly if you voted for Bonds

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
He added a new vote to Edgar's total, so any other transgressions are excused. :colbert:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

tadashi posted:

Also: Thank God I am not a Blue Jays fan. How the hell do you assemble one of the most dangerous lineups and probably the best left-side of the infield in baseball and then decide to just take a back seat? The Orioles have not really had the kind of setup the Jays have had for the last couple seasons and they just keep coming.

Imagine some equivalent of Lakers Guy but he's saying "Rogers. Rrrrrrrrogers."

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I would vote for Schilling based purely on "hall of fame, not hall of stats" criteria.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
No matter what the Jays are worse this year? Right?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

No matter what the Jays are worse this year? Right?

The hitting is ya. Pitching might actually be better.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

davecrazy posted:

I would vote for Schilling based purely on "hall of fame, not hall of stats" criteria.
Thanks for reinforcing my opinion on Schilling by taking the exact opposite stance

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

bawfuls posted:

Thanks for reinforcing my opinion on Schilling by taking the exact opposite stance

Didn't Schilling famously steal taxpayer money in Maryland?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The hitting is ya. Pitching might actually be better.

Given how good Happ and Estrada were last year, pitching could easily be worse, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Didn't Schilling famously steal taxpayer money in Maryland?

Rhode Island, he set up a game studio with a massive loan from the state government then defaulted on it when the studio went under. There's no question he's a tremendous rear end in a top hat but on stats alone he's certainly got a reasonable HoF case - 200 wins, 3000 IP, 3000 Ks, career ERA+ of 127, CY runner-up three times (to Johnson twice and Santana), 6 ASGs, 3 rings, 80.7 career WAR.

• Locked thread