Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Well no dice, window still won't go down. Ordered a new switch off rockauto for $80. I'm the kind of guy that always has his window cracked just a smidge, even in the middle of a blizzard. Not being able to open the drivers window is unbearable.

Had to fix all my radio settings for nothing :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I got my airbag recall thing scheduled for tomorrow. I imagine that's a hell of a job. I'm afraid I'm going to get it back with a bunch of new squeaks and rattles. Has anyone else done the recall and gotten back a squeaky dash? On the plus side of it I'm looking forward to having a nice new loaner car to drive around for a day.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Not too noticeable with the wife's car. They took the dash out for the passenger one and there were some minor scuffs but that's about it. It has 150k miles though so, eh. :v:

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Hopefully they treat mine nice. I take pretty good care of it and would hate to see new scuffs or scratches. Got a pretty nice loaner for the day though. It's a '17 Legacy 2.5. I wouldn't say that it's anything exciting to drive but it's really, really nice inside and the lane departure and smart cruise control is awesome. Not a bad looking beast either.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
If they break anything they are obligated to fix it. Id take a video of the interior if its a serious worry for you.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

underage at the vape shop posted:

If they break anything they are obligated to fix it. Id take a video of the interior if its a serious worry for you.

Lol

Waiting since the day after Halloween for the dealer to fix the front differential they grenaded by not tightening the oil filler plug all the way.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 29, 2016

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

The work is already done. I'll find out if it's hosed up tomorrow I guess. It's a little worrying that they called me to say it was done about 4 hours after I dropped it off. For me, tearing a whole dashboard out and putting it back in would be a weekend job at the least. Being a recall job I'm assuming they've done this a thousand times and I shouldn't be worried. It's not the greatest car ever but it is mine and I always assume the worst when I leave it in the hands of a stranger.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Midjack posted:

Lol

Waiting since the day after Halloween for the dealer to fix the front differential they grenaded by not tightening the oil filler plug all the way.

Yeah you americans have poo poo laws that let them try weasel their way out for the smallest excuse but they are still liable.

They try that here, you drop the word ombudsman and they panic. If they are being fucky at all they know the ombudsman will come down on them like a tonne of bricks so they usually start bending over backwards. Australian consumer protections own, I feel like thats why stuff costs a lot here cause its the only thing they can get away with.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 29, 2016

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Yeah you americans have poo poo laws that let them try weasel their way out for the smallest excuse but they are still liable.

They try that here, you drop the word ombudsman and they panic. If they are being fucky at all they know the ombudsman will come down on them like a tonne of bricks so they usually start bending over backwards. Australian consumer protections own, I feel like thats why stuff costs a lot here cause its the only thing they can get away with.

All he has to do is write to Subaru of America and the same thing happens here.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

Well no dice, window still won't go down. Ordered a new switch off rockauto for $80. I'm the kind of guy that always has his window cracked just a smidge, even in the middle of a blizzard. Not being able to open the drivers window is unbearable.

Had to fix all my radio settings for nothing :argh:

New switch did the trick. It's from China and feels a little stiffer than the original switches but works fine and fits perfectly. The Haynes guide was helpful for showing where all the door panel clips were but didn't mention having to take off ~7 screws on the backside to remove the plastic surround. Still pretty easy though.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Had a string of <40F days so I put on my new Blizzaks on my 16 WRX. Now the next week is 50-60F and raining. :negative:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Solder joints?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Joints seem solid. Couldnt drive to the office for my electronics tools to dig more. Ended up getting a replacement on ebay for £45 shipped next day. Car might have limped home if not for the knock sensor went a couple of months ago. Ended up so rich it was misfiring.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Can I just use any old bolt to hold shocks to the hub or do they need to be special. They are rounding before they loosen, they are all torqued to 100000nm and im just gunna cut them all.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 2, 2017

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Can I just use any old bolt to hold shocks to the hub or do they need to be special. They are rounding before they loosen, they are all torqued to 100000nm and im just gunna cut them all.

I'd be wary about putting a hardware store special in such a critical position, so I searched around a little and apparently as a general rule suspension bolts are made to specific specifications.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The upper front holes use camber bolts, you need those from the dealer. The rest are M14x1.5 JIS flanged hardware, about 60-65mm long, I guess those you could source elsewhere. They are probably class 12.9 but maybe 10.8 and use locking nuts (that are technically supposed to be replaced every time anyway).

Part numbers:
front camber bolt: 901660038
camber bolt washer: 20560AA04A
regular mounting bolt: 901000334
nut: 20550AA010

There are a few other compatible part numbers, those are one of the newest versions.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Luckilly I work next to a Subaru dealer. Hopefully I can figure it out. I dunno what they did to it to get it so tight, I only slipped once, the rest the socket was tight when they rounded.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 3, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

6 point or 12 point socket? Never use 12 points if that was the case. If the car has ever had an alignment then they've at least had to touch the top one and it shouldn't have been seized.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Well you're not going to get very far on an alignment only loosening the top one.

If I don't have an impact gun I just stick a big breaker bar (definitely on a 6-pt socket) on the nut. Don't try to turn the bolt head. Penetrating lube and banging on things with big hammers will also help loosen thnigs up.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
12 point. Ill pickup a 6 point and a longer lead pipe. I drenched everything in wd40 so stronger fluid is on the list too.

Whats the least stupid way to get the rounded nuts off?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

As far as I can tell, 12-pt sockets only exist to round off nuts.

You can try hammering on a smaller 12-pt, I guess that is a use for them...

Or you could try a nut-splitter before breaking out the cut-off wheel.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I drenched everything in wd40 so stronger fluid is on the list too.

For your reading enjoyment. (PDF warning)

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

jamal posted:

As far as I can tell, 12-pt sockets only exist to round off nuts.

You can try hammering on a smaller 12-pt, I guess that is a use for them...

Or you could try a nut-splitter before breaking out the cut-off wheel.

12 points get used to force over stripped bolts or if the head actually has 12 points.

So almost never.

Edit: or to fill with jbweld to stick on a stripped bolt head.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Head bolts are twelve point on Subaru motors. Standard are too short and extended sockets are too long to get at while in engine, but a crafty Subaru owner does need them!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Most of the case bolts too. And ARP likes to use them for their fasteners.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I know rattle guns arent accurate but the one a friend has that goes to 350nm doesnt budge the nuts at all.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Got one off the fuckers loctited them.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Does anyone know of a really good machine shop in the New England area? I'm rebuilding my engine now and basically have figured out that the valve/lifter failed due to lovely work by the last shop that my previous mechanic took the head to.

I'd like to get both heads inspected and rebuilt as necessary.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I know rattle guns arent accurate but the one a friend has that goes to 350nm doesnt budge the nuts at all.

They're perfectly accurate, you just need to know your brrrrap charts.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

i own every Bionicle posted:

Does anyone know of a really good machine shop in the New England area? I'm rebuilding my engine now and basically have figured out that the valve/lifter failed due to lovely work by the last shop that my previous mechanic took the head to.

I'd like to get both heads inspected and rebuilt as necessary.

Larry's Auto Machine is where all the Subaru racing guys send their stuff. They have a nice Web site with prices and you can ship stuff there and they will ship it back.

I've also used Kinglsey Automotive in Nashua NH for several rebuilds.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Test-drove a manual Crosstrek yesterday. Ugh, what a loving dog. As comfortable and familiar as the vehicle feels otherwise coming from an '06 wagon, I ... just ... can't. It's just ridiculously underpowered. I managed to find a local manual Forester to drive and it was less underwhelming, so I guess I could live with it. The XT was a blast, but a) I literally know nothing about the reliability of the CVT or of the engine, and b) if I want to get the Eyesight setup I have to drop a few grand and get leather instead of cloth. Ugh. Turbocharge the goddamned Crosstrek, you assholes, or at least give it the 2.5.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Turbocharge the goddamned Crosstrek, you assholes, or at least give it the 2.5.

This is why I don't own a Crosstrek right now. A turbo would be great, but even another 30-40hp would be a night and day difference. And the lack of hatch/wagon option on the WRX is the reason I don't own one of those instead. Come on Subaru, give me at least one or the other.

Yet they are still selling Crosstreks as fast as they make them here in the PNW. Turns out your average person doesn't care that the motor is wimpy as hell, so why would Subaru change something that is working. :(

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Heading out to check out an 06 Forester at a dealer, only 118k on it, and its got a clean title which is apparently impossible to find out here. Gonna have to ask why they're asking for a grand above KBB! The XT I really wanted got sold before I could even check it out. Cut-throat.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Do the manual crosstreks still come with a 5 speed?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

mariooncrack posted:

Do the manual crosstreks still come with a 5 speed?

Yes, and a really soft, vague clutch. The only thing good about that drivetrain is the fuel economy. That's not very high on my list of priorities unless gasoline prices triple.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I agree for this forum that the Crosstrek isn't quick, but seriously you guys, you make it sound like a 3 cylinder metro.

I drove my parents' Crosstrek (CVT) over Christmas to go pick up my grandmother and it's fine. That's coming from daily driving a WRX that nearly has twice the HP. With the CVT, it's actually a bit more responsive in the low end than my WRX.

I guarantee you that my parents like the 38mpg fuel economy over an extra 30hp any day of the week.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is it normal that the coilovers be so close to the back of the wheel well? Like close enough to maybe rub through a brake line? I'm guessing they move forward a lot when the cars on the ground?

E: specifically the rears

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 4, 2017

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran

bull3964 posted:

I agree for this forum that the Crosstrek isn't quick, but seriously you guys, you make it sound like a 3 cylinder metro.

I drove my parents' Crosstrek (CVT) over Christmas to go pick up my grandmother and it's fine. That's coming from daily driving a WRX that nearly has twice the HP. With the CVT, it's actually a bit more responsive in the low end than my WRX.

I guarantee you that my parents like the 38mpg fuel economy over an extra 30hp any day of the week.

Are they actually getting 38??? I get 36 at most in our CVT Impreza, and that's doing 50-60 mph on small highways. In town, it gets more like 20-25, and at interstate speeds (70) I'm happy if I manage to get 30 mpg. (My 98 Legacy still gets 30 mpg easily with an EJ22 and 5MT) I thought the added weight and extra ride weight made the XV less efficient...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They have gotten that on the highway, yes.