Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

angor posted:

Make sure you've still got room for rising!

Yup yup, I definitely do. I make a small batch of dough right now -- enough for eight small buns. Once I start making bigger breads or batches that'll probably change and I'll need to find a new method or just buy a bigger dish towel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Welp, I'm officially back on a diet. I still want to get some use out of my stand mixer, since I spent so much money on it, so I'm looking for recipes that aren't too high in calories. Any ideas?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Welp, I'm officially back on a diet. I still want to get some use out of my stand mixer, since I spent so much money on it, so I'm looking for recipes that aren't too high in calories. Any ideas?
Cook bread as normal, slice in half. Bam, 50% as many calories as before!

Really though, pretty much anything you put into bread is going to have more calories than flour, so just keep making bread.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Except water! Work on higher hydration breads with a less dense crumb.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Make mirangues from the juice from a tin of chickpeas, it's easy and delicious and 90% air and yes this is a real thing you can really do.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So I just bought an OXO rolling pin at Bed Bath & Beyond, and before I use it I'm wondering if there's any reason why I should return it and buy a different one instead.

It's made of... well it's not made of wood (some sort of plastic I guess), and it's pretty heavy and has self-balancing handles and cost like $30. I bought it over the wood ones because I figured I could stick it in the dishwasher.

I also bought a "pastry mat" to put dough on so I won't have to mess up my countertop by getting flour all over it, but that's only because I live with a roommate and I figured he doesn't want me making a mess in our shared kitchen.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was thinking about investing in a mat but I have marble countertop and honestly I just run my dough slicer across it to scrape up any of the crud after I'm done and it takes like thirty seconds. If I had a wood counter I'd probably go crazy though.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Finally got my scores opening a little bit.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Stringent posted:

That looks awesome! What'd you do to get them looking like that?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Stringent posted:

Gorgeous loaf!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Carillon posted:

That looks awesome! What'd you do to get them looking like that?

Well I've been having problems since it started turning colder in October. So basically I watched the temperature like a hawk during the bulk ferment and made sure the dough stayed at 76 degrees the whole time. Beyond that I followed SymmetryrtemmyS advice about scoring deeper. I still didn't get it right, but I see what he means and will work on it more.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Stringent posted:

Well I've been having problems since it started turning colder in October. So basically I watched the temperature like a hawk during the bulk ferment and made sure the dough stayed at 76 degrees the whole time. Beyond that I followed SymmetryrtemmyS advice about scoring deeper. I still didn't get it right, but I see what he means and will work on it more.

I think some steam will help as well. Getting the scoring right for a gorgeous ear is one thing, but you also need a lot of heat conduction on the surface. Keep working at it though, this loaf looks great and you're definitely on the right track.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I think some steam will help as well. Getting the scoring right for a gorgeous ear is one thing, but you also need a lot of heat conduction on the surface. Keep working at it though, this loaf looks great and you're definitely on the right track.

I've got a pan in the bottom with water now. Gonna give towels another go.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Oh man so I smoked some turkey and ham for Christmas, then used the smoked ham bones to make a rich pork stock and used that to cook some black eyed peas for New Years, and since you cant have beans without corn bread I made some sourdough cornbread using this recipe I found on google.

http://emerils.com/125741/sourdough-cornbread

Im in soul food heaven. Beans, smoked ham, corn bread and some collard greens from the garden? It's amazing. But I wanted to give a thumbs up for this corn bread recipe too. I left out the sugar because I dont like sweet corn bread. You use the sourdough for flavor rather than leavening, I didnt want it super tangy though so I used mine relatively young, just a few hours after it peaked but before it got too sour smelling.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I got given a bread making book for Christmas so I made some bread. Unfortunately my weighing scales were broken, I didn't have enough regular white flour to make the bread I was looking at, I have no proper baking trays or dishes for bread, and my dried yeast expired in 2007. Anyway I discovered all this as I went along and went to bed with my big bowl of unrisen brown dough.

I woke up to find somehow my zombie yeast had somehow been reanimated and made my bread rise like 80% (the recipe thought it should go for about 300%), possibly because I left it beside a radiator. I was thinking I'd make some kind of focaccia/flatbread but I didn't bother to really read any instructions on how to do that, also my dough was probably totally wrong, but I squashed it into a flatbread shape and stuck some dimples in it and then baked it at what seemed like a decent temp until it looked kind of cooked, then I made a topping for it.

Unfortunately my flatbread rose to be more like some kind of squat loaf of regular bread, but I basted it in my basil/sun-dried tomato/olive oil/rock salt anyway and stuck it back in and taa-daa I successfully made some weird frankenloaf.

I completely failed every aspect of bread making, but it was still fun. The final product is tasty but too salty. All my tomato bits keep falling off as well, possibly because my bread is not flat.

10/10 will attempt to create bread again. Also my ancient phone camera is abysmal.

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

All bread is beautiful :sun:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but:

How do you all store your bread?

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Anyone have a good sourdough recipe that uses a stand mixer? I've had very mixed results from no knead/stretch and fold recipes, and every time I've made regular yeasted bread in a stand mixer it's turned out great.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I got flour, water, yeast, salt around November as a gift. Made the Saturday white over Christmas and it came out beautifully, basically just like the cover art. Today I just took out of the oven two loaves of the overnight white. Mmm, can't wait to dig in.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 15, 2017

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Family Photo posted:

All bread is beautiful :sun:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but:

How do you all store your bread?

Save bread bags from store bought bread and store it in that.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I store my bread cut side down in a wide Tupperware container with no lid on.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I store my bread in my mouth

Almost immediately after I bake it

Because I am a monster

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Bread..

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Murgos posted:

I got flour, water, yeast, salt around November as a gift. Made the Saturday white over Christmas and it came out beautifully, basically just like the cover art. Today I just took out of the oven two loaves of the overnight white. Mmm, can't wait to dig in.

This is dry yeast or sourdough?

I'm trying to find a good overnight sourdough recipe.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Stringent posted:

This is dry yeast or sourdough?

I'm trying to find a good overnight sourdough recipe.
This is a real easy recipe that I use all the time, more or less.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Made some pretzels, some interesting blisters I wasn't really going for:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Just took the lid off the pot of my first ever batch made with a poolish. Looked lovely, already all golden and fissured.

E: Stringent, it's a dry yeast just that you allow it to mature overnight before shaping and baking.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 22, 2017

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

baquerd posted:

Made some pretzels, some interesting blisters I wasn't really going for:

Update on these, the crust is flakey on the blisters, crispy even, with the normal pretzel chew on most of the skin. Tearing off a bit of pretzel gives a wonderful crackling sound. Paired with a Milk + pepper jack + cheddar + sodium citrate cheese sauce rounded out with black pepper and garlic powder, and a simple mayo + mustard + sugar + vinegar dipping sauce. It may not be traditional, but I'm not going back to non-blistered after this.

Edit: I can't help but feel I just accidentally made bagels in a pretzel shape though? I'm not very experienced with making breads.

baquerd fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 22, 2017

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
There's really not that much of a difference between pretzels and bagels, honestly. They both use roughly the same hydration, with the main difference being that pretzels dough often incorporates a few additional ingredients such as butter and malt syrup. Other than that the difference is just the lye bath and the shaping.

The blisters most likely came about as a result of them being slightly under proofed before baking, but it's really not that big of a deal.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mikey Purp posted:

There's really not that much of a difference between pretzels and bagels, honestly. They both use roughly the same hydration, with the main difference being that pretzels dough often incorporates a few additional ingredients such as butter and malt syrup. Other than that the difference is just the lye bath and the shaping.

The blisters most likely came about as a result of them being slightly under proofed before baking, but it's really not that big of a deal.

Thanks, I've been having lots of proofing problems as I've started making bread like 20 times more often (got a stand mixer this year). I'm guessing it's largely due to temperature, as I'm using active dry yeast individually foil-wrapped with a expiration date long into the future, and typically I'll just throw in a full packet even if less is called for (is this somehow a big mistake?). My house is at 65 when I bake during the winter, so I turn on the stove to warm and put the bowl on it, which has definitely helped, but maybe not enough?

I mean, this was a happy accident, but if I wanted to make traditional pretzels it would be nice to be able to do so.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

Just popped this out of the oven. :3: My first sourdough bread using a starter I grew. Might have made the cut too deep on the right but eh, we'll see how it is when I cut into it in an hour or two.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I seem to have finally worked out some of the kinks. This was an overnight proof.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i got really stoned and made some mostly-white sourdough w/ cacao nibs and orange zest, no sugar or anything

the flavor landed somewhere between subtle and overpowering, a little weird w/ just butter but put some peach preserves on top and :drat: we're really on to something. Maybe with cranberries next time

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 30, 2017

Carillon
May 9, 2014

That' sounds awesome poverty goat, do the cacoa nibs add flavor generally or only when you bit into one?

Also as a question to the group, I've been starting a new sourdough starter, and thinking about it, is there any reason 'wild' yeast is better than jarred? Why go to the trouble of starting it when you could make a poolish or biga and use that a a jumpstarted starter going forward? Am I missing something?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Mikey Purp posted:

I make both, I put more salt in my pretzel dough though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You should lye bath both

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
If anyone here has a zojirushi bread machine, have you tried the recipes from the booklet that it comes with, and if so, how did it go? Also, does anyone have any good sources for bread machine recipes? Book or blog, doesn't matter.

I recently got the zojirushi mini bread machine that does 1 lb loaves, and it's good so far. I have been using a basic bread recipe from King Arthur Flour's blog that has been turning out well. I get the sense that most folks here are probably hand kneading, forming, and baking in an actual oven. But, if anyone is interested in a bread machine, I can recommend this one. Perfect size for an apartment. It's like a small rice cooker size, but taller. For my wife and I, the loaves are a manageable size. If you're feeding more people, or eat bread more often, you might want a bigger machine.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You should lye bath both

Yeah I recently did a lye bath on my bagels and was pretty happy with the effects. I used about half the concentration I normally do for pretzels (so somewhere around 1:40 lye to H20) and the bagels came out with great color and just a slight twinge of pretzel flavor. It's too bad that the inside was kind of crappy, but I think I'm blaming my sourdough starter for that.

So, I think I will be embarking on a quest to make a new starter(s) in the next week or so, and I'm considering doing one white and one whole wheat starter instead of the 50/50 mix that I've been using up to now. Does anyone have any experience with the different qualities, if any, that using one or the other would have in a given bread recipe?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Carillon posted:

That' sounds awesome poverty goat, do the cacoa nibs add flavor generally or only when you bit into one?

Also as a question to the group, I've been starting a new sourdough starter, and thinking about it, is there any reason 'wild' yeast is better than jarred? Why go to the trouble of starting it when you could make a poolish or biga and use that a a jumpstarted starter going forward? Am I missing something?

The flavor is well-distributed and the cacao nibs are soft and moist and have taken on a mellow yeasty cocoa flavor if you pick them out.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah I recently did a lye bath on my bagels and was pretty happy with the effects. I used about half the concentration I normally do for pretzels (so somewhere around 1:40 lye to H20) and the bagels came out with great color and just a slight twinge of pretzel flavor. It's too bad that the inside was kind of crappy, but I think I'm blaming my sourdough starter for that.

So, I think I will be embarking on a quest to make a new starter(s) in the next week or so, and I'm considering doing one white and one whole wheat starter instead of the 50/50 mix that I've been using up to now. Does anyone have any experience with the different qualities, if any, that using one or the other would have in a given bread recipe?

I don't think you need to make new ones, you can adapt the 50/50 to a new food source and over the course of 8 months all yeast is replaced by what you feed & your environment anyway. Regardless, The Tartine Bread experiment blog is a good resource as she went from a 50/50 to a rye based starter over the course of the blog. I think you just need to keep the starter going and as it gets more robust you'll be AOK.

Speaking of starter, a while back I posted a 1:1 of my starter after not feeding it for a weekend, here is a normal photo, after not feeding it for a weekend:

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I don't think you need to make new ones, you can adapt the 50/50 to a new food source and over the course of 8 months all yeast is replaced by what you feed & your environment anyway. Regardless, The Tartine Bread experiment blog is a good resource as she went from a 50/50 to a rye based starter over the course of the blog. I think you just need to keep the starter going and as it gets more robust you'll be AOK.

Speaking of starter, a while back I posted a 1:1 of my starter after not feeding it for a weekend, here is a normal photo:

I use a 50/50 mix right now, but I never get the oven spring I want out of my starter, so I'm thinking about starting over with a whole wheat or rye starter to see if I can get a larger/better group of yeast. I'm not sure how much sense that really makes in practice, but I think it's worth doing it if for no other reason than that the timeline is much shorter than the 8 months it would take for my existing colony to shift over to a different food source. Starters are pretty easy to care for and don't take up much space in any case.