Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

having even a uniquely talented student wash out because he couldn't handle tootsuki's bullshit any more isn't a very good argument for reverting to the previous status quo.

You're mistaking Jouichirou's intent here. It's a Master Eugenist scheme between Grandpa Nakiri and Joichirou. They don't care about the school, they just want to create the ultimate food-offspring.

Also, I got a chuckle from:

because obviously its Yoda Judge

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's not the school's bullshit that does him in. It's other people's heretical food beliefs and his refusal to get help in navigating the culinary storm. Mostly his insistence on going it alone.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the judges are always rich assholes, and most of his stress seems to be coming from their unreasonable expectations. dealing with judges is intrinsic to tootsuki, though azami seems to prefer using his employees in that role.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Riko is totally Soma's mom. At the very least, it's a Chekov's gun(man) right there - new girl introduced for a single panel who we've never seen before who has no apparent relationship to the current plot.

We also just assumed that Saiba changed his name to reflect a wife's name, when in reality we have no idea why he changed his name.

I'd actually expect her to be Rindou's mom since they both have similarly narrowed eyes

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Gyges posted:

It's not the school's bullshit that does him in. It's other people's heretical food beliefs and his refusal to get help in navigating the culinary storm. Mostly his insistence on going it alone.

Food Hitler was right.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

Food Hitler was right.

Food Hitler wants a couple of people to lead and everyone else to follow.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

having even a uniquely talented student wash out because he couldn't handle tootsuki's bullshit any more isn't a very good argument for reverting to the previous status quo.

It looks like the burnout came from piling on the outside competitions on top of Tootsuki's workload. Jouichirou burnt out because he kept going further and further, without an end goal in sight.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Food Hitler wants a couple of people to lead and everyone else to follow.

I mean, Azami's plan does in fact follow from Joichirou's experience: the constant pressure of innovation was what did Joichirou in, and Azami's plan is to simply rid the students of the pressure of creating newer and better dishes all of the time. Meaning, if everyone at Totsuki is judged upon and pressured to constantly innovate, lots of them will simply wash out. If you simply restrict the less talented students to increasing quality vs. increasing innovation, the chosen few who are good enough to come up with new dishes don't have to deal with constant pressure by everyone to make better stuff.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 29, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he kept up with the outside competitions because he was trying to find some meaning in his life. tootsuki kept going on about how competitive cooking is the only thing that matters but then no one there would compete with him any more. once the shiny veneer on all the bullshit rubbed off, saiba rejected the elitism, the obsession with competitions, and even the constant need to innovate. that's everything tootsuki stands for. instead, he got hitched, lived quietly in obscurity, made good food his way and innovated only when he felt like it, specializing in plebian cuisine. that's the opposite of everything tootsuki stands for. well, maybe not the marriage part but it is kind of weird how the only named classmate he had who got married was azami.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, Azami's plan does in fact follow from Joichirou's experience: the constant pressure of innovation was what did Joichirou in, and Azami's plan is to simply rid the students of the pressure of creating newer and better dishes all of the time. Meaning, if everyone at Totsuki is judged upon and pressured to constantly innovate, lots of them will simply wash out. If you simply restrict the less talented students to increasing quality vs. increasing innovation, the chosen few who are good enough to come up with new dishes don't have to deal with constant pressure by everyone to make better stuff.

i've gotta disagree there. if only a chosen few are permitted to innovate (and lol at the idea of restricting the actions of people after they graduate), then they will always be pushed to continue innovating. after all, no one else can do it so they have to take up the slack. rich fucks need their novel gourmet cuisine, after all.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

i've gotta disagree there. if only a chosen few are permitted to innovate (and lol at the idea of restricting the actions of people after they graduate), then they will always be pushed to continue innovating. after all, no one else can do it so they have to take up the slack. rich fucks need their novel gourmet cuisine, after all.

Well, I think the idea is that Azami is wrong - he apparently assumed the pressure built up by the school's system was what caused Joichirou to leave as opposed to Joichirou simply biting off more than he could chew.

I'm just saying that there's at least some degree of logic in Azami's plan if he thinks that the innovation is something that is restricted to those with "true genius" (like Joichirou) as opposed to just hard work, which would explain why Joichirou specifically went out of his way to point out that Soma's talents doesn't lie in naturally being gifted, but rather through a lot of introspection and effort.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 29, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I really don't think we're supposed to think either the old way or the new way are actually right. Like, this is one of the few times where the truth actually lies in the middle. Both the Ubermench Obstacle Course and the Automoton Training System are wrong.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you can't even blame it on the nakiris because alice's branch is fine and azami married into the family. basically, whoever runs tootsuki becomes a dumbass if they weren't already.

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"
I like that Jouichirou's ultimate reaction to everyone tasting his incredible innovations once and then dumping them immediately to ask what the next one will be was to peace out and open a restaurant where his recipes are designed specifically to be eaten again and again, like the beef stew Souma worked with originally.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It should also be pointed out, in faint defense of the old way, that all most all the students actually have been learning to cook since middle school. Soma is the only transfer student and it seems like all the "gently caress you, you're expelled" poo poo happens in the last 3 years of like 10 years worth of cooking training.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

VgameT posted:

I like that Jouichirou's ultimate reaction to everyone tasting his incredible innovations once and then dumping them immediately to ask what the next one will be was to peace out and open a restaurant where his recipes are designed specifically to be eaten again and again, like the beef stew Souma worked with originally.

....oh.

Oh!

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I GET IT NOW. :downs:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Jouichirou realized that he was no longer having fun swimming making music playing sports because he became completely focused on the competitive aspect and forgot that above all he should be having fun.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It's almost as if forcing kids to go through a "do-or-die" kind of lifestyle is not a very practical way of raising them to be proper adults.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I think it's more that his status of "genius" caused people to put him on a pedestal, including himself. He couldn't keep up with the pressure and began to resent the role. The weird combinations and random Shokugekis were half lashing out and half trying break people's perceptions of him.

That's why after he left, he went to the most un-pretentious place he could think of.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

I think it's more that his status of "genius" caused people to put him on a pedestal, including himself. He couldn't keep up with the pressure and began to resent the role. The weird combinations and random Shokugekis were half lashing out and half trying break people's perceptions of him.

That's why after he left, he went to the most un-pretentious place he could think of.

that's probably only half the story. he rejected tootsuki's bullshit and ran away, but the rest of his life choices are likely due to souma's mom.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
So now that I have binge-read the manga, I must ask the immortal question:

How does the anime compare?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
It's pretty great.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Crazyeyes posted:

So now that I have binge-read the manga, I must ask the immortal question:

How does the anime compare?

First season is a really great adaptation and about the best any manga could ever hope for (while still having worse art after the first ~30 chapters of the manga or so).

Second season is fine but it's a definite step down.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm really liking all the callbacks this arc has had. Jouichiro's frustration over other people just giving up instead of challenging him puts his surprise over Souma being willing to challenge him over and over in a new light, the scene at the end with the blank dish calls back to that "if you only cook by yourself, all you'll see is your own face in your dish" thing that Erina got hit with it, and of course you can basically see Azami's philosophy build itself up.

My viewpoint on what happened is that Jouichiro's fundamental issue is just how people keep wanting to see what's next. He's totally fine with competition, he wouldn't have humored his son so many times otherwise. He just can't handle bad attitudes as well as Souma can and burned out over the constant demand for more.

Remember that his final realization at the end was that he needed to find someone who he liked cooking for.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it probably helps that very few people ever gush about how wonderful souma is. even when judges are having foodgasms most of their praise is either internal monologues or about the food rather than souma himself. he is eternally the underdog even when that makes little sense.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh, now that I think about it, way back in the very first chapter we saw the people Jouichiro felt it was worth going back to the culinary world for: people who really loved eating his food.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

BlitzBlast posted:

My viewpoint on what happened is that Jouichiro's fundamental issue is just how people keep wanting to see what's next. He's totally fine with competition, he wouldn't have humored his son so many times otherwise. He just can't handle bad attitudes as well as Souma can and burned out over the constant demand for more.

Remember that his final realization at the end was that he needed to find someone who he liked cooking for.

i think part of it is the "weathering the storm" metaphor too. everyone is standing behind him letting him do all the innovation instead of actually standing beside him and striking out on their own.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
All of the points brought up about Joichirou's behavior are solid and I agree with them, but what I'm most impressed with about this chapter that I wanted to point out is that it seems to be consistent with the psychology concept of 'labeling is disabling'.

When faced with positive labeling, it's a common response to reject such labels for they apply pressure to the labeled: "You're beautiful." "Oh, stop trying to butter me up. You should've seen me yesterday, then you'd know. I'm not that beautiful." If they do not reject these labels, they will be stuck in a position where they need to begrudgingly live up to these impossible expectations.

When faced with negative labeling, it's a common response to accept such labels for they provide an excuse: "You're a troublemaker." "I may as well not even try to be good, if that's what everyone already thinks of me. If that's how it's going to be, I'll show them how much trouble I can make."

To paraphrase the most recent example I read: a family was driving along the highway with their son and sleeping baby in the back seat. Noticing how quiet and unusually behaved the son was, the father piped up "You're a good kid, son, being so quiet for the baby." Shockingly, the next thing that happened was the son reached for the ashtray and dumped the contents out everywhere, filling the car with a choking mist. Luckily, the parents avoided crashing the car. It was only much later after counseling and talking that the son confided in them that he was only so quiet because he was thinking about ways to get rid of the baby. Upon hearing that he was a "good kid" while thinking such evil thoughts, he felt guilty and panicked, immediately looking for a way to show that he wasn't such a "good kid".

In Jouichirou's case, he's being pressured by the "genius" label, the "innovator" label, the "one who weathers the storm" label, and throughout the chapters he tried every way possible to reject them. He tried showing off his failed creations to everyone to show that he's not as perfect as everyone thinks, but they refused to acknowledge that. Since the subtle approach failed, he tried openly shouting at people that he was not a genius but again, it was not acknowledged. Finally, he's now chosen to not show up at a competition in an ultimate sign of rebellion. We'll see where it goes from here.

Anyway, just thought it was interesting to note. Obviously the psychology aspect I've noted is simplified as there are exceptions and other points to consider, but I do like it when stories have a certain 'human' consistency.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
poo poo dude, nice effort post.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Was it kirkegaard or dick van dyke who said "when you label me, you deny me" ?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
'Negate', not 'deny', but apocryphal either way, I think.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
I'd say that part of Jouichirou's frustration with everyone is that he is being treated as a trailblazer, but is just being followed. But he wants to inspire others to try things out for themselves. He shows off failed dishes to say "I'm not a genius, I just throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. Why don't you give that a shot?", but everyone just laughs it off and waits for his next great dish. He outright states this during the massive shokugeki in the hopes of inspiring someone, and they all give up in despair.

One of the other things is that cooking is all Jouichirou has at this time. There's a video on youtube of the Achievement Hunter guys playing Madden with Dan Campbell of the band The Wonder Years, and they talk about why Dan's such a big football fan. Dan says that after the band took off and music went from a hobby to a job, he needed to get a new hobby. And the AH guys mention that after a day of playing video games, the last thing they want to do at home is play video games.

Jouichirou used the competitions to get away from the schoolwork. But as time goes on, the competitions are as big a deal as the school, and Jouichirou has nowhere to go. Jouichirou is one of those guys who'll brush off concerns to take a break. He'll just be "I'm fine. I'm fine."

"I'm not fine."

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's honestly impressive just how many callbacks there are this arc.

This (and Saiba mentioning he dropped out) is about all that's left, so presumably that's what next chapter will elaborate on.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I also thought Jouchiro could be tired of the constantly being called talented, it reminds me of artists getting annoyed when you reduce years of practice and hard work to "you're so talented!".

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think that played into it too, yeah.

He goes through tons of work to come up with something innovative, and the judges just eat it, praise it to high heavens, and then expect him to just come up with another one cause he's a genius, not really thinking about the effort it took him to be able to create that dish in the first place.

Cause being called talented or a genius is a form of labeling, which fits in with what FutureCop said above.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

New chapter out http://mangastream.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/198/3943/1

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
It's kind of a weird way to deal with mental breakdowns.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You know you're in a bad place when Chairman Grandpa wants you to take a break from cooking and relax a little.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
That page with his leg snapping made me wince uncomfortably :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Yeah, that was worse than the floppy raw-jerky legs from Boku no Hero.