Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Just thought of this, the old biddy was there when they were covering up Sherlock's killing a guy.
She spent decades being secret and careful, all she could have said was 'I made a copy of the real tape of Sherlock killing the dude. If I don't walk out of here it gets leaked online'.
And simply walked out, even Mycroft couldn't do poo poo as he would be in for the fall for his brother.

She wasn't even being that careful, buying a cottage in Cornwall she shouldn't have been able to afford would be a huge red flag to anyone who was paying attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!
I watched To Walk Invisible on the iPlayer - best drama I've seen in a long time. The 3 actors who play the Brontë sisters are pretty much unknowns, but excellent, and are probably going to pop up in films all the time now. Seeing a period drama without all the cliche dialogue is really refreshing.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

lionlegs posted:

I watched To Walk Invisible on the iPlayer - best drama I've seen in a long time. The 3 actors who play the Brontë sisters are pretty much unknowns, but excellent, and are probably going to pop up in films all the time now. Seeing a period drama without all the cliche dialogue is really refreshing.
It was really good but the ending seemed very abrupt, and I was surprised they never went into the sketches and paintings they all did of each other, particularly the painting that Branwell produced that we now (fairly recently) know used to show all four siblings but he painted a pillar over his own portrait - it's the painting it pretty much cuts to at the transition at the end.

Still, it was very good if fairly grim.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Thinking about it for a bit longer, I think the whole thing just felt incredibly disjointed, like they had three separate writers writing an episode and melded them all together.

A lot of the jokes were incredibly heavy-handed and overly explained. I enjoyed "are you tweeting?" at the beginning of Mycroft's speech, but then reading out the tweet and the Holmes "high on life" bit that came after completely ruined the whole joke.

Then the list of cases was ok, but not as well done as in, say, the first series. I thought the case with the rich kid showing up dead was actually kind of interesting, but they immediately wrapped that up and turned it into a thing about Mary which had no mystery and was just honestly, not well done. Plus the John cheating on Mary thing was just ridiculous. Sherlock's character was all over the place as well. None of it fit together at all, and it led to me not actually really caring when Mary was killed, despite the fact that I actually liked her character.

And of course there was the walrus cry after...

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think that's the sound I'd make if my wife came home and caught me having sex with a robot.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

HookShot posted:

Thinking about it for a bit longer, I think the whole thing just felt incredibly disjointed, like they had three separate writers writing an episode and melded them all together.

A lot of the jokes were incredibly heavy-handed and overly explained. I enjoyed "are you tweeting?" at the beginning of Mycroft's speech, but then reading out the tweet and the Holmes "high on life" bit that came after completely ruined the whole joke.

Then the list of cases was ok, but not as well done as in, say, the first series. I thought the case with the rich kid showing up dead was actually kind of interesting, but they immediately wrapped that up and turned it into a thing about Mary which had no mystery and was just honestly, not well done. Plus the John cheating on Mary thing was just ridiculous. Sherlock's character was all over the place as well. None of it fit together at all, and it led to me not actually really caring when Mary was killed, despite the fact that I actually liked her character.

And of course there was the walrus cry after...

Yes, agree with all of this. I expect the rest of the series probably won't be very good either, since they'll spend ages on John's grief for his wife that nobody liked or cared about and won't just do some cool mystery crime solving

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

John sounded like some wow nerd that lost a roll on an item he wanted more than to not live at home with his parents.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

John sounded like some wow nerd that lost a roll on an item he wanted more than to not live at home with his parents.

You don't really roll for loot in WoW these days.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

do you think that Watson puts all the stuff about the wife being an unbelievable super spy in his blog?

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Benedict Cumberbatch isn't even fit to smoke Jeremy Brett's clay pipe. Brett's Sherlock had a personality with that perfect bipolar mix of morosity and manic flamboyance.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Konsek posted:

Benedict Cumberbatch isn't even fit to smoke Jeremy Brett's clay pipe. Brett's Sherlock had a personality with that perfect bipolar mix of morosity and manic flamboyance.

Some good opinions expressed in this post.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Cerv posted:

do you think that Watson puts all the stuff about the wife being an unbelievable super spy in his blog?

Guaranteed though Lestade got all the glory for the bust thing though.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Wheat Loaf posted:

BBC has changed their idents. I preferred the hippos. My favourite were the wheelchair basketball ones from however many years ago.

Longest period before a refresh since C4 got rid of their original logo. The new ones are shite. Bring back the globe

Also Uncle is back!

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Wheat Loaf posted:

BBC has changed their idents. I preferred the hippos. My favourite were the wheelchair basketball ones from however many years ago.

The old BBC 2 idents were better than the generic cross-channel ones - like that big metal "2" dropping into a pile of poster paint!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Heavy_D posted:

The old BBC 2 idents were better than the generic cross-channel ones - like that big metal "2" dropping into a pile of poster paint!

That means exactly one thing for me, and that thing is Robot Wars.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'd rather watch that for an hour on repeat than Robot Wars.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

BBC2 NI have been using a wider stock of 90s idents than network have. Lucky swines.

Edit: and they did that awesome closedown sequence as the last area to switch off analogue.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
I actually liked the new Sherlock ep better than the first episode from S3. That one was all breaking the fourth wall fanservicey wink wink with a completely uninteresting "mystery" with that bomb on the train. Now some stuff happens that is actually interesting to watch.
There are still way too many inconsistencies and loose threads in hindsight, but I'll wait for the next 2 episodes, maybe it will all come together. Maybe.

The hidden USB stick is my biggest peeve, first when the agent sticks it into the Thatcher bust it looks like the bust is hollow and the stick is just loosely lying in it, also the chain is still attached but later it's gone. Then, how would the old drive, his own drive which he hid somewhere years ago, help him track down Mary today? That whole plot doesn't make any sense to me and it surely won't come up again. Other things are, why does Sherlock send two different texts to John and Mary? I cringed at how Mary in that post mortem video was all like "I'm probably dead" and "IF I'm gone" like some kind of injoke about how crazy fans will come up with ways she faked that kind of death.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Went looking and found this.

Remember when the Simpsons was on BBC 2? I do.

I also remember when Sky One did the most obnoxious set of ads ever to hype the (terrible) episode Ricky Gervais wrote and starred in.

Edit: Man, even compared with other satirical shows, Dead Ringers really is a time capsule, isn't it? I just watched the Mr Men parody and it's got these jokes about Mr Happy getting assaulted by Mr Happy-Slapper and Little Miss ASBO who video it on their mobiles. All that's missing is Little Miss Binge Drinker and a cameo from David Blunkett and it'd be the most 2006 thing ever.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 3, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

sicDaniel posted:

The hidden USB stick is my biggest peeve, first when the agent sticks it into the Thatcher bust it looks like the bust is hollow and the stick is just loosely lying in it, also the chain is still attached but later it's gone. Then, how would the old drive, his own drive which he hid somewhere years ago, help him track down Mary today? That whole plot doesn't make any sense to me and it surely won't come up again. Other things are, why does Sherlock send two different texts to John and Mary? I cringed at how Mary in that post mortem video was all like "I'm probably dead" and "IF I'm gone" like some kind of injoke about how crazy fans will come up with ways she faked that kind of death.

Yeah the way he hides it there's no way it makes it out of the factory inside the bust, even if it hadn't fallen out when the bust was next picked up whoever had to seal the base would definitely have noticed something rattling round inside.

It's possible the data on his drive includes Mary's cover identities which would actually be more plausible way of tracking her than Sherlock's (even by tracking her drive with GPS he'd be on the plane behind her to Iran rather than getting there first). The problem there is he never actually has access to the drive since Sherlock finds it first.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Didn't he wedge some fabric in there afterwards?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

sicDaniel posted:

I actually liked the new Sherlock ep better than the first episode from S3. That one was all breaking the fourth wall fanservicey wink wink with a completely uninteresting "mystery" with that bomb on the train. Now some stuff happens that is actually interesting to watch.
There are still way too many inconsistencies and loose threads in hindsight, but I'll wait for the next 2 episodes, maybe it will all come together. Maybe.

Other things are, why does Sherlock send two different texts to John and Mary?

Yeah, S3 was really dire. It was like the writers looked at the internet's reaction to S2, and it just destroyed them.

Surely that's not accidental, right? Mary knew where she needed to go, John had to get told (at the last second because he can't stop banging enemy spies).

sicDaniel posted:

I cringed at how Mary in that post mortem video was all like "I'm probably dead" and "IF I'm gone" like some kind of injoke about how crazy fans will come up with ways she faked that kind of death.

That was supposed to be some late characterisation: She tries to be positive about her new life, and doesn't want to assume that she is definitely going to die.

Julio Cruz posted:

The problem there is he never actually has access to the drive since Sherlock finds it first.

That's a non-issue, though, since Sherlock is a big dumb blabbermouth, and tells the guy her name.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

How did they beat her there!?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

thehustler posted:

Magic, maybe? It's kind of funny that the show presents a ludicrous explanation, and then immediately gives you a seemingly more plausible one that makes even less sense.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
1. S4 E1 Sherlock is alright. It was good background noise as I did my jigsaw puzzle. However, I was not totally drawn to it as I was with season 1.
I miss season 1 Sherlock. The best season in my opinion.

2. Is anyone watching Delicious? With Dawn French?
I was hating it while I was watching it (though my 70 year old mum seemed to enjoy it). But I find myself thinking about it.
I don't trust that doctor. She knows everything.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
I know it's kind of a heat of the moment thing but it didn't really sit well with me to have Mary, a new mother with an infant child, attempt to take a bullet for Sherlock. Maybe she believed as long as she was alive the child and Watson would be in danger? Otherwise it's more stupid then noble to sacrifice yourself for a jackass who pretty much brought it on himself by egging on the lady with the gun, even if he is the protagonist

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

ConanThe3rd posted:

Oh a wedding goes wrong in watford? Next you'll be telling me Ash will lose a Pokemon Leauge Confrence! Jesus Christ, BBC, play a bit of mixup your missery play is bullshit and boring.

I was watching it last night and got sad watching Whitney, as I realised she will one day be brutally murdered or sent to jail for a crime she didn't commit.

But going as far to complain about the misery in Eastenders is like complaining about Countdown being about numbers and letters. Lest we forget, Eastenders is the soap that started its first scene in the first ever episode in 1985 with the Albert Square residents kicking in a bedsit door and finding a corpse. This is the appeal of the show.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Not to mention his best friend spends about 90% of the time using his detective superpowers to tease people about who they're loving/have hosed.

Based on what we see in the show he'd know John was having an affair before he'd walked in the door.

Can't wait for the camera to do that funny noise close up, but rather than on a bit of fluff on someone's shoulder, it's vaginal effluence in John Watson's stubble.

"I noticed it the day before Marrakesh, John. Mary is PH7 John. That whiff is a PH8"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

joe football posted:

I know it's kind of a heat of the moment thing but it didn't really sit well with me to have Mary, a new mother with an infant child, attempt to take a bullet for Sherlock. Maybe she believed as long as she was alive the child and Watson would be in danger? Otherwise it's more stupid then noble to sacrifice yourself for a jackass who pretty much brought it on himself by egging on the lady with the gun, even if he is the protagonist
I think it ties into the theme of predestination - she felt that she was definitely going to be killed at some point due to her past, so she might as well save someone else who wasn't doomed and remove the danger to her loved ones.

It was 100% Sherlock's fault though. Even ignoring the final confrontation he was the one who gave away Mary's identity in the first place with his reaction to the memory stick and the one who revealed her hiding place by following her.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Padje posted:

But going as far to complain about the misery in Eastenders is like complaining about Countdown being about numbers and letters. Lest we forget, Eastenders is the soap that started its first scene in the first ever episode in 1985 with the Albert Square residents kicking in a bedsit door and finding a corpse. This is the appeal of the show.

They need to get Phil Mitchell back on crack.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

They need to get Phil Mitchell back on crack.
It is very moreish.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Akuma posted:

It is very moreish.

Still one of my favourite lines from any show.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

thehustler posted:

Also, this image has been making the rounds. Apparently Watson's blog is just a JPG.

Anyway. I was mixed on the episode. It was pretty light on mystery, though perhaps not the lightest they've ever done. The episode with "The Woman" was also very spy thriller-y, but I felt that was much better than this one. I just wasn't very compelled by most of the Mary plot I guess. It felt very bog standard "covert military ops" stuff. And even though there was plenty leading up to it, and plenty good reason for it happening, the death at the end still felt cheap somehow. And like many, I dread the possibility that the next two episodes will be consumed entirely by manly grief rather than mystery-solving.

I also assumed that Sherlock's solution to the mystery of the guy in the car was actually incorrect, and it would come up later that there was something else going on there. But so far, it didn't. Similarly, I was somewhat baffled by the Watson affair subplot. I suppose these may be things that get redeemed in later episodes (the latter seems especially likely), but for now they're unsatisfying.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Konsek posted:

I remember reading all the press bumph about the first series and being really heartened by them saying this sort of thing:

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/interviews/syndicated/steven-moffat-a-mark-gatiss-sherlock-interview

quote:

Were you influenced by any other versions of Sherlock Holmes?

Mark: “Our favourite is the Billy Wilder film, The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes. It’s absolutely wonderful. It plays fast and loose with some of the most revered concepts but, in the end, it is an incredibly nuanced, moving piece of cinema. Also, the famous Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce films – they seem, to us, to be closest to the real spirit of the Doyle stories. We wanted to capture that spirit and, most importantly, it’s made by people who love Sherlock Holmes.”

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130572175

quote:

"While [Jeremy Brett] and Basil Rathbone have my vote as the all-time greatest late Victorian Holmes," Moffat says, "there's enough originality in what I give and what Stephen [Thompson] and Mark [Gatiss] have written for it not to tread on the hallowed turf that is Jeremy Brett."

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/sherlock/20536/steven-moffat-and-mark-gatiss-interview-sherlock

quote:

But yes, we know the stories incredibly well, and there's loads of things in the stories that don't often make it onto screen.

Like Sherlock Holmes laughs all the time in the stories, he's always bursting out laughing, or roaring with laughter, or having a laugh. And Sherlock and Watson in the stories actually laugh together a lot. You never see it! He's always stern. He's not like that at all, he's quite impish.

It sounded like they really were going to do something interesting, and then it was just "you see this bit where Jeremy Brett is being really flagrantly rude to someone he doesn't like? Do that. All the time."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I kinda put off watching Sherlock because I had a feeling it might be a bit poo poo, but I really didn't anticipate to what extent that would prove to be true.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It really annoys me that he says 'the game...is on'.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Wheat Loaf posted:

Went looking and found this.

Remember when the Simpsons was on BBC 2? I do.

Edit: Man, even compared with other satirical shows, Dead Ringers really is a time capsule, isn't it?

Well yes, in the sense that it's like digging up a box in the garden and finding a dead rat in it.

They just had a new series of it recently on Radio 4. Other than the personalities involved it pretty much hasn't changed at all. In fact I'm sure the writers have gone through all their old George W. Bush material and replaced all the names with "Donald Trump".

I've always hated it, it's like satire for babies. Everything reduced to it's most simplistic level and always the softest possible targets.

I swear to god they actually did a sketch on a recent Christmas episode which was the words to "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" in the form of a news broadcast. The kind of hacky poo poo that would barely raise a giggle in a school play.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Maelstache posted:

They just had a new series of it recently on Radio 4. Other than the personalities involved it pretty much hasn't changed at all. In fact I'm sure the writers have gone through all their old George W. Bush material and replaced all the names with "Donald Trump".

Well, sure, most of the George Bush jokes were just Spitting Image's old Ronald Reagan jokes, after all.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They do the impressions so good they make sure to tell you who it is.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I can't believe there's not an actual Sherlock thread.

It was messy but fun. The front half bolted along at a breakneck pace, jumping here and there like an excited puppy that was giddy to be back on the air. Then it all became personal and dull, like the Holmes extended family are the only people in the world, and nothing happens to anyone else. Sherlock traditionally solves crimes, they don't generally just involve everyone he knows, just to artificially keep the stakes high. Or would that just make the show too procedural?

Walrus dying noises were indeed hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I have always felt that Tony Blair really loved the eye rollingly safe satire provided by Dead Ringers.