Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Siblings back in town, and Tragedy Looper turned up, any thing to keep in mind as I bust this out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Played Deception: Murder in Hong Kong on New Years' Eve with some friends, 6 of us altogether. Pretty fun game! It's sort like a lighter Mysterium, in that a player who holds all the information is trying to communicate it with a limited "vocabulary", combined with any hidden role game that you want to name.

We didn't play with two optional roles (Accomplice and Witness), but they seem like they'd be neat if you have more players (8 or more is probably best). Basically the Accomplice opens their eyes when the Murderer does, and knows the clues. They try to steer the investigators away from the Murderer, possibly even by acting suspicious and trying to get Investigators to guess their cards. The Witness, meanwhile, opens their eyes after the Murderer and Accomplice, and the Scientist points to them, but doesn't indicate which is the Accomplice and which is the Murderer. They aren't told what clues/means were used, either. So they get a definite advantage, but not insurmountable... AND, if the Murderer's clues are properly discovered, the Murderer and Accomplice get a chance to guess who the Witness was. If they're right, they still win. So the Witness can't be too obvious with what they know.

I always add accomplice/witness at 6 players. You don't need 8 or more for them. If you've played Avalon it isn't all that much different from the dynamic in that with merlin/assassin.

Both those roles make the game a lot better.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

fozzy fosbourne posted:

In a similar vein, are there any other games out there that people would consider weak or simply average without an expansion and great or good with one?

Sushi Go Party is a legitimate game with a lot of replay value whereas OG Sushi Go was a filler game that got samey pretty quick.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I played a pretty fun 5-player game of Scythe last week, despite being Togawa, which I have no idea how to use. The lack of the speed mech really hosed with my strategy, and I clearly need to figure out how to play the two new factions without lamenting the lack of Speed the whole game. The guy that was playing Albion had never played before and did very well. I think that since he hadn't ever played with the Speed power, he wasn't hamstrung by the lack of it like I was. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to play the new factions?

I got the Broken Token Scythe Organizer for Christmas, and finally put it together. It's pretty great, makes everything fit perfectly, and no more infinite amount of plastic baggies. I would definitely recommend it. Applying wood glue with a toothpick to tons of little tabs is surprisingly satisfying.

Also, I think I might be a prodigy at Roll for the Galaxy. I literally always win. I ended my last game with 63 points entirely from my tiles.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sloober posted:

I always add accomplice/witness at 6 players. You don't need 8 or more for them. If you've played Avalon it isn't all that much different from the dynamic in that with merlin/assassin.

Both those roles make the game a lot better.

Yeah, given that the Murderer was found out every time, I wouldn't mind stacking the deck on their end a bit more. We'll have to play it again soon. Given that it was our first few times we thought that there only being 3 investigators seemed a little unfair, but I think we were wrong.

Have you tried playing with the role distribution not determined in advance? So that you don't necessarily know if there's a witness or an accomplice? It didn't seem like the rules had an allowance for that but it seems like it'd be doable.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 3, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

thespaceinvader posted:

Tried this out yesterday in the very short learning game.

It seemed good but very, very short and obviously extremely incomplete even by the standards of the average learning game.

Looking forward to trying the full version out.

I have pre-ordered a copy. I never do that, but my recent experience trying to find a copy of Feast for Odin has made me a bit paranoid. I simply must have a copy of The Colonists. I have still not been able to find a copy of Feast for Odin. I had a single opportunity, but failed to jump on it (its not right to buy things for yourself just before Christmas!) but of course no one else could find a Christmas copy for me :(

I have no idea when the game will release, just "2017". I hope that means within a month or so! I can not miss out on the one chance to get a copy of The Colonists, it has the feeling to me of a game that will be printed once and never again.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

(its not right to buy things for yourself just before Christmas!)

Between Steam sales and my local game store doing buy two get one free, I could not disagree more. :colbert:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Rutibex posted:

I have pre-ordered a copy. I never do that, but my recent experience trying to find a copy of Feast for Odin has made me a bit paranoid. I simply must have a copy of The Colonists. I have still not been able to find a copy of Feast for Odin. I had a single opportunity, but failed to jump on it (its not right to buy things for yourself just before Christmas!) but of course no one else could find a Christmas copy for me :(

I have no idea when the game will release, just "2017". I hope that means within a month or so! I can not miss out on the one chance to get a copy of The Colonists, it has the feeling to me of a game that will be printed once and never again.

boardgamebliss is still taking pre-orders for The Colonists http://www.boardgamebliss.com/products/the-colonists?variant=24672386625

Sorry I couldn't find any pre orders for Feast.

Colonists is really really good, supposed to play today in fact.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Yeah, given that the Murderer was found out every time, I wouldn't mind stacking the deck on their end a bit more. We'll have to play it again soon. Given that it was our first few times we thought that there only being 3 investigators seemed a little unfair, but I think we were wrong.

Have you tried playing with the role distribution not determined in advance? So that you don't necessarily know if there's a witness or an accomplice? It didn't seem like the rules had an allowance for that but it seems like it'd be doable.

It'd be too unbalanced to have murderer/accomplice sans witness, and similarly unbalanced with murderer/witness. The only 'maybe' role is the detective, who is probably the only one that should come out at like 7-8 people.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Electric Hobo posted:

Could someone please sell me on Guild Ball so I don't have to deal with the poo poo show that is Games Workshop? I'm looking a the Kick Off box, but I don't know much about it.

It's by far the best and most interesting miniatures rule set I've ever seen, and feels like it was designed by somebody familiar with game mechanics besides "roll fistfuls of dice to simulate the chaotic meaninglessness of life".

It's still poo poo compared to a good board game, but if you like collectable miniatures it's as good as it gets.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

In a similar vein, are there any other games out there that people would consider weak or simply average without an expansion and great or good with one?

Personally, I think one of the best expansions out there is for T'zolkin. It does a lot to address they pyramid rush strategies that the base game tends to suffer from.

Also the 1910 expansion for Ticket to Ride is essential, in my opinion.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'll agree with Ticket to Ride: 1910

Though I've never played it, I'm told that Catan, Cities and Knights is a much better game than the base game.

Sex Cop
Mar 22, 2015

You have the right to remain horny.

Ralp posted:

Not really. I have a lot of respect for the elegance of Diplomacy but I would never, ever want to (even try to) play a face-to-face game of it. It only really works with a full seven players, but then has harsh player elimination in a game that lasts, like 4-8 hours+ (or maybe indefinitely if your group tends to gang up on the leader instead of devouring the weak). The Game of Thrones boardgame is essentially Diplomacy decorated with a mixed bag of bells and whistles, but smartly limited to a set number of turns.

There is an Android version called Droidippy that is both free and fun. You can also play along on PC using a somewhat clunky but fully functional interface. It's cool because the turns are 24 hours (they can end sooner if everyone commits early). So, it's a more relaxed pace, but this also tends to encourage A LOT more actual diplomacy. There is also an anonymous chat feature, which you can direct at the entire group or individuals. This definitely adds an extra layer of subterfuge to the game.

You get games comprised of random people, sometimes worldwide. You can play private games if you can get 7 friends to commit.

The 24-hour turn leads to some long games. I have played several games that took over a month, and my wife grimaces every time I start one.

Not that anyoe asked, but there's my 2 cents.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Big McHuge posted:

We haven't played this Christmas present yet. Clearly the larger cards are awesome, but which modes make it essential?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

FYI Amazon has updated the page for Colonists: $90 US, prime eligible, in stock January 8th.

That's the first solid release date I've seen in months.

https://www.amazon.com/Mayfair-Games-MFG3519-Colonists-Game/dp/B01M66KOON

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Cassa posted:

Siblings back in town, and Tragedy Looper turned up, any thing to keep in mind as I bust this out?

I'm assuming you'll be playing the Mastermind? There's a sample of play for the first script in the Mastermind's handbook, maybe give it a look.

Here are some very important rules to stress to your Protagonists. You don't need to frontload all this poo poo, but these are the things new players tend to stumble on, so be prepared to interject during the game when the Protagonists are confused.

Plots, Roles, and Culprits
  • The secret Plot and Subplot(s) dictate which secret roles are in play. The Script uses ALL of those secret roles, and ONLY those secret roles.
  • For example, if the Plot is "A Murder Plan," then we MUST have a Key Person, a Killer, and a Brain. Likewise, we CANNOT have a Cultist, since Cultists only show up in "A Place to Protect."
  • Each character can have up to one secret role, no more. If a character doesn't have a secret role, their role is "Person."
  • Each Incident has a culprit who triggers it. Each incident must have a different culprit.
  • "Culprit" is not a role. Each character may have one and only one role AND may be the culprit of one and only one incident. These are not related in any way.
  • Incidents happen when the culprit has paranoia equal to or above their paranoia limit on the specified day. If they do, the incident WILL happen, whether the Mastermind wants it to or not.

Information
  • When the Mastermind uses an ability, invokes a plot rule, triggers an incident, etc, they must tell the protagonists WHAT happened and WHEN it happened, but not WHY it happened.
  • WRONG: "During the ability step, I use the Brain's power to place an Intrigue counter on the Girl Student."
  • RIGHT: "During the ability step, the Girl Student gets an Intrigue for some reason. Weird, right?"
  • WRONG: "At end of day, the Serial Killer's ability kills the Office Worker."
  • RIGHT: "At end of day, the Office Worker DIES!
  • WRONG: "End of loop, there are two Intrigue on the School, so you lose the loop!"
  • RIGHT: "End of the loop...and you LOSE! Mwahahahahahahaaaaa! Back in time with you, you pathetic fools!"
  • Exception: If an Incident triggers, you must tell the protagonists "The incident occurs." Even if the incident doesn't actually do anything; you then say "The incident occurs, but nothing happens."
  • Exception: If an effect says "the Protagonists die," you must tell them that they're dead. (This is just a fancy way of saying "you lose the loop." The protagonists still go back in time, if they're not on the final loop. But it DOES mean that the protagonists can tell the difference between a loss condition that kills them and a loss condition that doesn't kill them.)

Miscellany
  • All of the Mastermind's cards are listed in a little reminder box on the Summary sheet.
  • Goodwill is not spent when the protagonists use a Goodwill ability. Goodwill acts like a threshold, not a currency.
  • Certain roles let a character refuse to perform a Goodwill ability.
  • The "Killer" secret role and the culprit behind the "Murder" incident are not necessarily the same person. This comes up every time I teach the game.
  • At the end of a "real" scenario (i.e. not a First Steps), if the Protagonists lose the final loop, they have a last ditch effort called the Final Guess. I usually tell players this at the end of the teaching scenario, and then let them take a "practice" guess, even if it's not "official."

TLDR:
A) The mastermind only has the tools specifically given by the scenario. No more, no less. Use that as a deduction tool!
B) Each character may have one role AND be the culprit of one incident.
C) The mastermind tells you WHAT she does and WHEN she does it, but not WHY she does it.

Good luck!

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Anyone got a good pre-order site for the Colonists in the UK/IRE?

Not having much luck figuring out release dates for the English edition.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The Colonists looks pretty similar to Feast for Odin in a lot of ways. Also reminds me a bit of Keyflower. Eager to hear some impressions.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Does Colonists really take like 8 hours to play though? I'm having a hard time believing a game that takes so long will be super worth it except outside of niche circumstances (like having people wanting to play an 8-hour game).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's got the ages system where you can decide how many you'll play before starting. One of the things I'm most interested in is how complete of an experience is it at the various lengths and how balance fares at them as well.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PerniciousKnid posted:

It's by far the best and most interesting miniatures rule set I've ever seen, and feels like it was designed by somebody familiar with game mechanics besides "roll fistfuls of dice to simulate the chaotic meaninglessness of life".

It's still poo poo compared to a good board game, but if you like collectable miniatures it's as good as it gets.

That's the faintest praise I've ever seen! I think I look around for more information before I decide.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

angel opportunity posted:

Does Colonists really take like 8 hours to play though? I'm having a hard time believing a game that takes so long will be super worth it except outside of niche circumstances (like having people wanting to play an 8-hour game).

In theory the first 5 hours of game-play is just an elaborate set-up phase, and you can skip it if you want. It also sort of acts as a tutorial.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Electric Hobo posted:

That's the faintest praise I've ever seen! I think I look around for more information before I decide.

The rules are available online for free, along with freely printable standees.

It's pretty easy to figure out for yourself if the game looks interesting.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

It's got the ages system where you can decide how many you'll play before starting. One of the things I'm most interested in is how complete of an experience is it at the various lengths and how balance fares at them as well.

it also has a "save" system where you can stop playing after any age, take a little snap shot of the game state, and resume later.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KPC_Mammon posted:

The rules are available online for free, along with freely printable standees.

It's pretty easy to figure out for yourself if the game looks interesting.
I didn't know that. Thanks.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

slickerdrips on Youtube has a pretty good set of 3 videos showing a 2-player age 1 through 3 playthrough, where he's playing both characters. He also gives a good rundown of how long his plays have taken and how many of the ages were played. Based on what I've seen, I think only a 4-player game could take 8 hours, and that'd probably be with at least one person who has such bad AP that you'd start telling them to just loving play already. It definitely feels like a game that will be very easy to learn how to play, but extremely challenging to learn how to play well. Having basically 4+ potential ending scenarios giving you different targets to shoot for can probably mess up strategies. That said, if you only ever want to play ages 1 and 2, you'd probably be able to knock those out in 2 hours with 4-players after a few plays.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I've only played all the eras in a single sitting once, and I doubt I'll ever do it again. We were 2 players and it took about 6 hours including rules explanation, setup and all that, so it wasn't too bad.
Kruller pretty much has it right. Every era brings a ton of new stuff into the game so there's constantly something new to take in and consider for new players. It also means that later eras just takes longer than the early ones since there's a lot more to consider.

There's definitely a pretty solid drop in game time when everybody knows what going on, and can focus on what they want to do instead of what the hell all the new resources are for.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

Interest check?

That looks cool and I would be interested, even if it's inadvisably likely to make me think about running Android again.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Electric Hobo posted:

I didn't know that. Thanks.

No problem. I know a fair number in this thread don't like that genre of games, but if you are already looking for a better alternative to Blood Bowl you might like it.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Brain Curry posted:

We haven't played this Christmas present yet. Clearly the larger cards are awesome, but which modes make it essential?

It adds in a bunch of routes that help balance out the viability of going cross country versus staying in the midwest/east coast.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KPC_Mammon posted:

No problem. I know a fair number in this thread don't like that genre of games, but if you are already looking for a better alternative to Blood Bowl you might like it.
Oh, I know, and I'd say that they're probably right. Most of these violent sports games are real bad from a design point of view, but it's the one genre where I don't care. It's more about hanging out with a bunch of other nerds, drinking beer and laughing at how much the dice hate us.
I could do the same with an actually good game, but the feel, and the nerds, wouldn't be the same.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Electric Hobo posted:

Oh, I know, and I'd say that they're probably right. Most of these violent sports games are real bad from a design point of view, but it's the one genre where I don't care. It's more about hanging out with a bunch of other nerds, drinking beer and laughing at how much the dice hate us.
I could do the same with an actually good game, but the feel, and the nerds, wouldn't be the same.

Personally I'd prefer to just play Blood Bowl and revel in its hilarious awfulness rather than play an okay but uninspired game like Guild Ball, but to each their own.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Blood Bowl is both hideous and beautiful. At one time I was so into it that I was spectating that non-Cyanide computer league client, and there are some folks out there that are savant-like in their ability to play that game and manage risk. Edit: With pretty tight time constraints on turns, more so than most competitive turn based environments I've seen. I would get stressed out just watching sometimes.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 4, 2017

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Straight White Shark posted:

Personally I'd prefer to just play Blood Bowl and revel in its hilarious awfulness rather than play an okay but uninspired game like Guild Ball, but to each their own.
One of my main problems with Blood Bowl is Games Workshop, so for now I'll try out a makeshift version of Guild Ball and see how it goes. I also have a bunch of Dreadball stuff that I got for cheap from a guy who dumped his colletion, so I'll try that too. The guy called it poo poo so I'm not expecting much, but I can use the minis for a sci-fi Blood Bowl if everything else fails.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big McHuge posted:

Alvin & Dexter, clearly.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Gutter Owl posted:

TLDR:
A) The mastermind only has the tools specifically given by the scenario. No more, no less. Use that as a deduction tool!
B) Each character may have one role AND be the culprit of one incident.
C) The mastermind tells you WHAT she does and WHEN she does it, but not WHY she does it.

Good luck!

Awesome, thanks heaps!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Stelas posted:

That looks cool and I would be interested, even if it's inadvisably likely to make me think about running Android again.

I got in a second game of New Angeles. MY interest has now sharply declined in the wake of a player purposely and blatantly kingmaking for the Federalist player.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

goons posted:

Blood bowl talk :orks:

My only problem with Guildball, so far as I currently understand the rules, is that it's got measuring for movement. If I wanted to measure, I'd play an actual minis game. I want a sports board game but they all stink out loud. :sigh:

e: Except Blood Bowl which owns.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Big McHuge posted:

It adds in a bunch of routes that help balance out the viability of going cross country versus staying in the midwest/east coast.

It looks like you can play with the original routes, the 1910 ones, the Big Cities ones, or everything at once. Do you usually play with just the 1910 cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

I got in a second game of New Angeles. MY interest has now sharply declined in the wake of a player purposely and blatantly kingmaking for the Federalist player.