Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Megasabin posted:

I'm not sure why it's funny that I couldn't even get the product to work after 2 hours of tinkering.

More like uDONTplay amirite?

But seriously it is a bummer you couldn't get it to work, the game is indeed quite fun and unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WelpEcho
Sep 12, 2006

Megasabin posted:

I'm not sure why it's funny that I couldn't even get the product to work after 2 hours of tinkering.

I think what's funny is you saying you "dodged a bullet" when it has been one of the most popular and lasting games released in recent memory.
However, that's not to say you have a legitimate gripe about not being able to play the game despite 2 hours of effort. Such is the reason refunds have become standard for the industry.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

ItheWelp87 posted:

I think what's funny is you saying you "dodged a bullet" when it has been one of the most popular and lasting games released in recent memory.
However, that's not to say you have a legitimate gripe about not being able to play the game despite 2 hours of effort. Such is the reason refunds have become standard for the industry.

That comment was not in regard to the gameplay at all, which I'm sure is great. It was regarding the backend of the game and the support provided, given that the issue I was having has been brought up by many people over the course of the entire last year, and doesn't seem to have an obvious solution.

It's not like I was threatening a refund because the game wasn't living up to standards. I had to go forward with the process, because I was literally unable to connect to servers after port forwarding, setting the router to DMZ, turning UPNP off and on, successfully getting the NAT to read "open" in the R6 settings without any change in the issue, etc... The last time I've had to tinker with router settings to get a game to work was at a minimum over 5 years ago, so I'm not sure what backwards rear end process they used to make this game's multiplayer infrastructure.

Edit: It was a gift so the refund process is still waiting on my brother. If anyone wants to tell me some easy solution to fix this issue I'd love to hear it, because I actually do want to play the game.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 3, 2017

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Speaking of bugs

I was on University and was on top of the roof. Went to rappel down and my game went into a black LSD trip basically. Could barely see anything on the screen.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Megasabin posted:

Probably the comment about dodging a bullet if that's indicative of quality control, he's a QA manager of some sort at the Ubi studio that made the game.

And it's worth noting that that error code is one they claimed to have largely dealt with so it's likely a case of fixing it for most people, and complaints about it's resurgence seem to come with inconsistent information, sometimes it's out of nowhere, sometimes it's after a patch where things worked fine before and now does not while people with seemingly identical setups have no similar issues. The few people a month that post about it are going to be a drop in the bucket when compared to other widespread, replicable, and generally more pressing issues. On the odd occasion when that error starts coming up for more than a couple of people(because something actually broke), Ubi have chimed in to say "Hey we're looking into it" and then post updates until stuff is fixed, which from what I've seen has generally been within a few hours.

You could try opening up the gamesettings.ini file in %USERPROFILE%\Documents\my games\Rainbow Six - Siege\<string of letters+numbers\ and changing the datacentre(at the bottom) to something other than what you were connecting to normally, should be easy to work out what you were already connected to based on where you live but to be sure you can hit f10 or hit the options/settings button ingame where it should say which you're connected to next to your nat type.

Some have claimed success using a VPN to beat the problem, and for others the problem hasn't persisted more than a day or two. :iiam:

CortezFantastic posted:

Speaking of bugs

I was on University and was on top of the roof. Went to rappel down and my game went into a black LSD trip basically. Could barely see anything on the screen.
Ignore the horrendously desynced audio, couldn't be bothered fixing it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f9pfG5-e3k
:haw:

lohli fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 4, 2017

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

This is a trash game for babies,

Why can't I stop playing :cry:

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
So like 3 times now I've come across walls that look unreinforced that I can shoot with the buck shotgun or breach charge and then see through them but not shoot through since they are actually reinforced. Also the SAT wins challenge is not registering the wins. Anyone else getting either of these, and also fix your game hard.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I still can't apply skins or charms I bought to all my guns at once.

Fuckin' GARBAGE.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Also something I noticed with the last MVP challenge.

I got it with slightly less than the required amount of points, but I remember that someone on my team had a booster going(and so I had +10%), is it not actually based on the points, but the renown reward for the points you get at the end of the match which, without boosters, should directly relate to score, which would make it affected by renown boosters?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the highest i remember getting was 3940, when it DIDN'T give me the charm. i ended up getting the charm after a game where i got like 3200 points.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Welfare MVP rewards

Hard you should be ashamed

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Maybe they goofed and somehow made it cumulative where you need to be mvp to accumulate points? Or where being mvp would add points to whatever your progress(highest score) was?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Speaking of bugs, this game has them. Fix them, Hard.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

lohli posted:

Maybe they goofed and somehow made it cumulative where you need to be mvp to accumulate points? Or where being mvp would add points to whatever your progress(highest score) was?

When I did that ranked match with you and was fifth place with 5k points I got the disco ball.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i didn't record it, but i just had a really strange experience: i'm deployed as montagne. an enemy doc runs up in front of me, spins, and somehow kills me through my shield. on the killcam it...just looks like he shoots a bunch of air after spinning, blood spatter, and then i'm dead. any ideas what this is?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Well looks like we can't get the refund because I spent too much time in the game, even though the entirety of the time was trying to get the game to work. Since that's the case I'm going to get this drat thing to work if it's the last thing I do.

Current Situation:
Uplay connects just fine, but once the game boots up it fails to connect to the R6 servers, and I get Error[3-0x0001000B]. I appear "offline" in the little square box in the top left. When I open the settings menu it does not show me as connected to any server, and it says my NAT type is "strict". When I close the game, uplay hangs and the fails on on "synchronizing saves with the cloud", forcing me to press "skip".

Things I've Tried that have no Effect
1. Port Forward Game Port UDP 6015 -- No Difference from above
2. Resetting the Windows hosts file -- No Difference from above
3. Turning Windows Firewall off -- No difference from above
4. Manually changing the default server using gamesetting.ini -- No difference from above no matter which server I choose
5. Changing my DNS to 8.8.8.8, which is a public DNS server provided by Google.

Thing's I've Tried That Lead to a Different Result

1. Run my Router in DMZ mode -- NAT type in settings menu changes to "Open". Game still fails to connect to the servers, and I still get Error[3-0x0001000B].

2. Use a VPN/Proxy Service - When initially attempting to connect to the servers I will get a different error message: Error [0x0-0FFFFFFE]. Despite this error message the game will appear to successfully connect. In the upper left box I will see my Profile Name and + symbols to add players to my team for matchmaking. In the settings menu box it will list a server and my ping (EUS Ping 52 since I used a Chicago proxy). However, once I attempt to click on multiplayer and use matchmaking services it will then go back to the "connecting to R6 servers" screen, and eventually give me Error [0x0-0FFFFFFE] again. Interestingly, When I close the game using the proxy, Uplay is able to sync the save files successfully. As mentioned above, without the VPN, UPlay will usually fail here, and I'll have to click "skip".

3. Port Forward Uplay Ports TCP: 80, 443, 14000, 1400 -- Uplay fails to connect when I do this. If I attempt to even boot Uplay separately without booting Rainbow Six, it will fail to connect, and I will have to use offline mode.

That's where I stand now. Before anyone asks I cannot try plugging directly into the modem, because I have a combination cable modem/router. How should I interpret how the game acts when using a VPN-- where the game appears to connect fine in the menu screen, but then when actually trying to find a match I get a different error. Why is the VPN able to connect at all, when my regular set up cannot? Given the information I've presented above, does anyone have any idea on what could be wrong or what I should try next?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 4, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

What ISP do you use? If it is residential Comcast or one of the smaller Comcast resellers, they may have ports blocked directly on your account for "security". You'll usually need to hit at least a tier 2 to even find somebody who knows how to check, though if you have specific ports to have unblocked you can usually get a tier 1 to submit a request to the engineering team to get it unblocked if you're super persistent. I'd suggest making a bit of a stink about it to them and see where it leads. Customers I provide IT for who have cheaped out and used residential connections for their businesses have run into similar issues for other applications that were only resolved after fighting with the ISP for a bit to get them to acknowledge that the ports are being blocked and it's not on our end. If they start giving you static, the burden of proof is on them. Connect directly to your modem again and have them prove to you that it is working fine to the modem.

I'd love to be able to provide you more specific advice, but you're working with the devil magic that is Uplay. If it really comes down to it, try getting a separate router and having your ISP put your modem in bridge mode. You'll get more control (and easier troubleshooting) out of having even a consumer grade router than you will using the garbage all-in-ones most ISPs provide.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

When I did that ranked match with you and was fifth place with 5k points I got the disco ball.

Well 5k should have been enough for it anyway, it usually hasn't cared whether or not anyone is actually mvp if they've scored above the required points.

But what I'm getting at is that the progress bar for that challenge basically just shows your highest score, but I wonder if somehow it was bugged out so that if you were MVP it would instead add your score as mvp to the existing challenge "progress". Or maybe that's how it is supposed to work, where points as mvp stack/accumulate but people overshoot the tiny goals in one game so much that nobody is going to notice or benefit from it working like that.

Maybe I am overthinking things again.

Megasabin posted:

Well looks like we can't get the refund because I spent too much time in the game, even though the entirety of the time was trying to get the game to work. Since that's the case I'm going to get this drat thing to work if it's the last thing I do.

If you claim in the refund reason that the entire playtime has been spent trying to get the game to work it might go through.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Megasabin posted:

Current Situation:
Uplay connects just fine, but once the game boots up it fails to connect to the R6 servers, and I get Error[3-0x0001000B]. I appear "offline" in the little square box in the top left. When I open the settings menu it does not show me as connected to any server, and it says my NAT type is "strict". When I close the game, uplay hangs and the fails on on "synchronizing saves with the cloud", forcing me to press "skip".

Things I've Tried that have no Effect
1. Port Forward Game Port UDP 6015 -- No Difference from above
2. Resetting the Windows hosts file -- No Difference from above
3. Turning Windows Firewall off -- No difference from above
4. Manually changing the default server using gamesetting.ini -- No difference from above no matter which server I choose

Thing's I've Tried That Lead to a Different Result

1. Run my Router in DMZ mode -- NAT type in settings menu changes to "Open". Game still fails to connect to the servers, and I still get Error[3-0x0001000B].

2. Use a VPN/Proxy Service - When initially attempting to connect to the servers I will get a different error message: Error [0x0-0FFFFFFE]. Despite this error message the game will appear to successfully connect. In the upper left box I will see my Profile Name and + symbols to add players to my team for matchmaking. In the settings menu box it will list a server and my ping (EUS Ping 52 since I used a Chicago proxy). However, once I attempt to click on multiplayer and use matchmaking services it will then go back to the "connecting to R6 servers" screen, and eventually give me Error [0x0-0FFFFFFE] again. Interestingly, When I close the game using the proxy, Uplay is able to sync the save files successfully. As mentioned above, without the VPN, UPlay will usually fail here, and I'll have to click "skip".

3. Port Forward Uplay Ports TCP: 80, 443, 14000, 1400 -- Uplay fails to connect when I do this. If I attempt to even boot Uplay separately without booting Rainbow Six, it will fail to connect, and I will have to use offline mode.

That's where I stand now. Before anyone asks I cannot try plugging directly into the modem, because I have a combination cable modem/router. How should I interpret how the game acts when using a VPN-- where the game appears to connect fine in the menu screen, but then when actually trying to find a match I get a different error. Why is the VPN able to connect at all, when my regular set up cannot? Given the information I've presented above, does anyone have any idea on what could be wrong or what I should try next?

Try a different DNS maybe?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

causticBeet posted:

If you try this, use 8.8.8.8, which is a public DNS server provided by Google.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

causticBeet posted:

I did try that. Forgot to include that in there. Changed the DNS to the exact one the guy below, the public DNS by google.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Go to your documents folder, into "My Games" and then "Rainbow Six - Siege", go into the random character string folder and then into a .ini file with your settings. Go all the way to the bottom, and try manually changing your default data center to some of the different ones that are available.

Edit: Also, my R6 ALWAYS hangs up on the synchronizing pop-up thing when I exit the game. I always have the skip it as well.

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 4, 2017

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

lohli posted:

If you claim in the refund reason that the entire playtime has been spent trying to get the game to work it might go through.

This worked for me before. I was only like half an hour over the 2-hour limit though.

And it was my first-ever refund request so they might have just comped me automatically.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Dvsilverwing posted:

Go to your documents folder, into "My Games" and then "Rainbow Six - Siege", go into the random character string folder and then into a .ini file with your settings. Go all the way to the bottom, and try manually changing your default data center to some of the different ones that are available.

Edit: Also, my R6 ALWAYS hangs up on the synchronizing pop-up thing when I exit the game. I always have the skip it as well.

Number 4 on things I've tried that didn't help :(. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I know I could probably fight harder for a refund if I explain that all the time spent in the game was trying to get it to work, but my brother really is excited to play the game together, so I figure I should give this the absolute best shot that I can at getting it to work. I'm just totally befuddled, because I primarily play multiplayer games, and haven't had an network issue since maybe 10 years ago when I had to deal with college network stuff.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Megasabin posted:

Number 4 on things I've tried that didn't help :(. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I know I could probably fight harder for a refund if I explain that all the time spent in the game was trying to get it to work, but my brother really is excited to play the game together, so I figure I should give this the absolute best shot that I can at getting it to work. I'm just totally befuddled, because I primarily play multiplayer games, and haven't had an network issue since maybe 10 years ago when I had to deal with college network stuff.

Have you tried calling your ISP and seeing if they have some poo poo on their end loving you over? Also, you could order a standard modem from amazon to try and connect directly to your modem to test and if it doesn't work just return that poo poo.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Zaodai posted:

What ISP do you use? If it is residential Comcast or one of the smaller Comcast resellers, they may have ports blocked directly on your account for "security". You'll usually need to hit at least a tier 2 to even find somebody who knows how to check, though if you have specific ports to have unblocked you can usually get a tier 1 to submit a request to the engineering team to get it unblocked if you're super persistent. I'd suggest making a bit of a stink about it to them and see where it leads. Customers I provide IT for who have cheaped out and used residential connections for their businesses have run into similar issues for other applications that were only resolved after fighting with the ISP for a bit to get them to acknowledge that the ports are being blocked and it's not on our end. If they start giving you static, the burden of proof is on them. Connect directly to your modem again and have them prove to you that it is working fine to the modem.

I'd love to be able to provide you more specific advice, but you're working with the devil magic that is Uplay. If it really comes down to it, try getting a separate router and having your ISP put your modem in bridge mode. You'll get more control (and easier troubleshooting) out of having even a consumer grade router than you will using the garbage all-in-ones most ISPs provide.

BadLlama posted:

Have you tried calling your ISP and seeing if they have some poo poo on their end loving you over? Also, you could order a standard modem from amazon to try and connect directly to your modem to test and if it doesn't work just return that poo poo.

What would I ask my ISP exactly? Are there certain ports I should be asking about? This is my fifth year living here, and during that time I've probably played 20-30 unique multiplayer PC games without any issue. Is there a specific thing about Rainbow Six we are looking at in this case that I should be asking my ISP about?

I think buying a modem will be my very last resort, unless I can get one for very cheap just to test things.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Why the hell have they started putting people into mid-match ranked games? I just joined a game that was 0-3 and lost 2(?) ranks.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Megasabin posted:

What would I ask my ISP exactly? Are there certain ports I should be asking about? This is my fifth year living here, and during that time I've probably played 20-30 unique multiplayer PC games without any issue. Is there a specific thing about Rainbow Six we are looking at in this case that I should be asking my ISP about?

I think buying a modem will be my very last resort, unless I can get one for very cheap just to test things.

I would just ask them if they have any ports blocked or filtered, as you're seeing issues with connectivity in specific applications. If I knew what ports R6 was using, we could ask about those specific ones. Maybe Ubi support could get you that info. It could also be something on your modem specifically, I don't know. If they can just turn any port blocking off for your account on their end or on the modem itself, that'd at least let you test.

Incidentally, if you do go buying equipment, you're not buying a new modem, you'd be buying a router and bridging it in to your modem. The stereotypical cheapy router for home users is something like This..

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Do you have a phone with 4G by any chance? Try using it as a hotspot or tether and seeing if you can get into a casual game. You'll have a poo poo ping, but if it works it pretty much narrows it down to definitely being your ISP/Router.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Has anyone tried sick tachanka peeks since they nerfed his gun they were so scared of them

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Huh. I was doing a solo terrorist hunt on skyscraper as Twitch, and had one baddie left. I was driving my drone around shooting at some emplaced c4 in the next room, when the last bad guy ran straight past my operative without firing a shot and started staring at my drone. I switched back to first person view and shot the dude in the back.

Hard was that just some weird glitch, or do terrorists only pursue your consciousness?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
if only that worked in pvp

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I tethered my phone's 4G/LTE, and the game is able to connect to the servers this way. I guess that tells me the issue lies somewhere with our router/modem. We still have no idea what that issue is though.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Megasabin posted:

I tethered my phone's 4G/LTE, and the game is able to connect to the servers this way. I guess that tells me the issue lies somewhere with our router/modem. We still have no idea what that issue is though.

Could still be on your ISPs end too. Probably best to start by having them turn off any firewall stuff they have active on your modem/router combo unit, at least for testing. If that fixes it, you can either leave it that way or get a router to bridge in so you can turn on only the blocking you want. If not, then it's something on their end.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

To the delight of freshly spawned noobs everywhere, I've sold my gaming rig and will be out of commission. Godspeed, goons.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Glhf I hear real life has even worse lag than Siege

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The Duggler posted:

Glhf I hear real life has even worse lag than Siege

Even more cameras watching you, too. :tinfoil:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

rap music posted:

To the delight of freshly spawned noobs everywhere, I've sold my gaming rig and will be out of commission. Godspeed, goons.

Considering the load times of some of the people we've played against I've come to the conclusion that you can run Siege on a potato.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

Considering the load times of some of the people we've played against I've come to the conclusion that you can run Siege on a potato.
I was running some CPU-heavy software in parallel with Siege one day, so I was loading for several minutes after each character pick, especially if I did not tab back into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Megasabin posted:

Pure anecdotal story, but I used to use a router/modem combo and had a fair amount of problems with it. Switched back to standard separate router + modem deal and things have gotten a lot better.

• Locked thread