Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

quote:

Why do people spoil their own plot I don't get it. Sure it's a predictable turn for the story to take but still.
Yeah that reads like a synopsis of a first episode at worst, setting up the premise of a harem comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fangz posted:

The sorta problem with that premise is that if you don't spoil it, it sounds really offputting.

An anime that's basically the plot of The Count of Monte Cristo "Character was wronged by other character, spends entire life dedicated to petty revenge." I think is one of those oddly compelling narratives. I mean sure, I think it was probably obvious what the end result would be but they didn't have to suggest it that way. Highschool Monte Cristo works just fine!

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Fangz posted:

The sorta problem with that premise is that if you don't spoil it, it sounds really offputting.

I'd actually be pretty down to watch a show where a rich bully gets curb-stomped by their former bullying target and current hero of the people :ussr: (not that that's really what the summary would be describing anyway, but still).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'd be down with anime Dangerous Liaisons, not gonna lie.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I had to look this up, seconded based on skimming the plot synopsis.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I had to look this up, seconded based on skimming the plot synopsis.

It's a great movie in its own right, I highly recommend it.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There is, of course, already a manga of it:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I think i'm going to (re)watch it now.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Raenir Salazar posted:

An anime that's basically the plot of The Count of Monte Cristo "Character was wronged by other character, spends entire life dedicated to petty revenge." I think is one of those oddly compelling narratives. I mean sure, I think it was probably obvious what the end result would be but they didn't have to suggest it that way. Highschool Monte Cristo works just fine!

The premise really doesn't read like that. It sounds more like Pick Up Artist the anime.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Fangz posted:

The premise really doesn't read like that. It sounds more like Pick Up Artist the anime.

It's a manga adaptation, not a light novel adaptation.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope the anime trims the story down a lot. I tried to read the manga but it got really repetitive.
1: Oh no, Masamune messed up a chance to make the girl love him! but with the maid's help, he fixes it.
2: Oh no is Masamune actually falling for the girl?
3: A different girl is into Masamune, but Masamune turns her down because he only wants revenge
4: repeat

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

z0glin Warchief posted:

There is, of course, already a manga of it:

I want to read that and the Poirot manga

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's a slower season, but this upcoming week still has an overwhelming number of premieres. so I'm hoping people can vote for the shows they're most interested in to cut down the list of candidates for the first Winter 2017 Seasonal Stream. use the poll below and vote for as many as you'd like:

http://www.strawpoll.me/12021843

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

First and only to vote for Youjo Senki

How is there no 'deus vult' smiley?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Ranzear posted:

First and only to vote for Youjo Senki

How is there no 'deus vult' smiley?

Voted for it too.

Seems dumb enough to be fun.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwaruTPKq9I

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Crunchyroll officially picking up MaiDragon and Akiba's Trip.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I can't help but think how much better this would be if it was just a straight, gritty war anime; no magic, no flying around, no creepy grown-rear end-man in the body of a little girl bullshit.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
i wonder if anyone's made a show about a war before. maybe

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the creepy grown-rear end man in a little girl's body bullshit is the primary appeal. that is why it was popular enough to get an anime.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the creepy grown-rear end man in a little girl's body bullshit is the primary appeal. that is why it was popular enough to get an anime.

It's why I'm interested; but some vague idea of a psychotic ambitious little girl coldly sniping dudes would probably have gotten my interest too.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
it's why I'm not interested

(that and military poo poo is boring af)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's why I'm interested; but some vague idea of a psychotic ambitious little girl coldly sniping dudes would probably have gotten my interest too.

I was about to recommend Magical Girl Raising Project, then checked and saw that you were the #1 poster in that thread, heh.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

it's why I'm not interested

(that and military poo poo is boring af)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

military is good

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What is the manga actually about? Is the focus on the plot, or the main character's journey, or just violence, or her relationship with other characters?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

I was about to recommend Magical Girl Raising Project, then checked and saw that you were the #1 poster in that thread, heh.

I'm going places apparently. :sun:

e: How do you check a thread's statistics? Is that a thing or is it just a guess?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Click the number of posts

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Cake Attack posted:

Click the number of posts

Ah cool, thanks!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the light novels are mostly huge spiels about tactics and strategy because the author is a military history nut

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Magical Girl Militaries always confuse me. Like, they have flying/hover technology, but they still use these 1940's guns. Makes totes sense.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's cause 1940s guns look cool

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

The Colonel posted:

it's cause 1940s guns look cool

Can confirm.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'd watch a show about a magical girl shooting people with a tommy gun

not a grimdark one or, like, youjo senki though, just a regular magical girl show but with a tommy gun

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Thor-Stryker posted:

Magical Girl Militaries always confuse me. Like, they have flying/hover technology, but they still use these 1940's guns. Makes totes sense.

Nanoha at least went all-in there. Except for those weird boxy helicopters.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

PV for Hand Shakers.
https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/816438755535921152
Looks...kinda eh.

PV for that revenge rom/com or whatever
https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/816392933947473920

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i'd watch a show about a magical girl shooting people with a tommy gun

not a grimdark one or, like, youjo senki though, just a regular magical girl show but with a tommy gun

You already watched cutey honey though

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Return of the Low-effort Rainbow Gradient, brought to us originally by K :barf:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The hand-holding meme has gone too far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well huh.

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/816487217275097088?s=09

• Locked thread