Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Niwrad posted:

Is Zach LaVine good because I need more reasons to hate Gar Forman?

He has turned from "can only dunk" to "yeah this guy can actually play". I thought he was going to be Gerald green but I was very wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Jota posted:

Lasted 1.4 seconds :mrapig:

Redgrendel2001 posted:

They just lost it to an alleyoop inbounds with 1 second left on the clock.

Let me have my moment

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I trust Joel "The Process" Embiid

JoJo is also the only rookie averaging double digit points which seems kinda poor for everyone else

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Redgrendel2001 posted:

They just lost it to an alleyoop inbounds with 1 second left on the clock.

That was a mighty good end of game play.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

That was a mighty good end of game play.

Yeah usually I'm pretty down about Brett Brown as an Xs and Os coach, but that play was really well drawn up.

Jo set a perfect screen.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

straight up brolic posted:

The Timberwolves have turned on Thibs. lmao I was not expecting Sam Mitchell to be a better coach than him, but it is an outcome that I appreciate.

e: for context, from my friend

they are currently down double digits to the 76ers

I was playing Let it Die so I couldn't exactly come and post about it but I was listening to the game on Wolves audio and

1) I couldn't believe they went down 26 to the Sixers
2) Less than 15 teams ever have come back from 26 or more down yet I wasn't remotely surprised when the Wolves came back on the Sixers
3) I'm 100% unsurprised the Wolves still lost though because at least from the audio call it sounded like they weren't covering anyone at all.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

predicto posted:

I watched Kidd play when he was a high school junior in the SF pro am. I was sitting in the second row at old Kezar gym. I was like - who the hell is this kid schooling Tim Hardaway and Mitch Richmond out there?

I'm old as dirt.

Hello friend. :buddy:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Resident NBA Granddads

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Rick posted:

I was playing Let it Die so I couldn't exactly come and post about it but I was listening to the game on Wolves audio and

1) I couldn't believe they went down 26 to the Sixers
2) Less than 15 teams ever have come back from 26 or more down yet I wasn't remotely surprised when the Wolves came back on the Sixers
3) I'm 100% unsurprised the Wolves still lost though because at least from the audio call it sounded like they weren't covering anyone at all.

Thibs didn't cover the inbounder and then Embiid, while being punched by KAT, set a good pick on Wiggins to free up RoCo who was diving down the lane for lob.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Here's the sixers play. Check out Embiid's screen.

big: https://gfycat.com/DetailedIcyGalapagospenguin

big and slo mo https://gfycat.com/ImpishAcidicIrishsetter

small:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I wish Pop would remember Davis Bertans exists, he's a cold blooded shooter and was showing such great chemistry with Dedmon but ever since he got ejected against the bucks he's been in the doghouse

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm surprised the refs didn't exercise rookie hazing there and call him for the moving screen. That's pretty though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rick posted:

I'm surprised the refs didn't exercise rookie hazing there and call him for the moving screen. That's pretty though.

the werent calling anything on Embiid or Towns. Superstar rules for both all 4rth quarter. It owned,

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

dokmo posted:

small:

Joel Embiid's big, beautiful rear end won the game for the Philadelphia 76ers

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Also is Pop not doing the obvious and putting Dewayne in for Pau because he's saving that lineup for the playoffs or what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A02gfX9HqVc

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

dokmo posted:

small:

Three Sixers blocked out all five Wolves lmao

there should be no such thing as an illegal screen

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Joel Embiid with the clutch butt screen

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
As a Spurs fan, I pretty much have no grounds to complain about illegal screens after Timmy's beautiful hip check on Fisher in the 2014 WCF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pbZmmjk4lw&t=385s

Literally made me jump up and cheer when it when down live. gently caress Derek Fisher Forever.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Let the record show that I said Thibs was a garbo coach from his hiring and the T-Wolves should have hired NBA Champion David Blatt or something

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Let the record show that I said Thibs was a garbo coach from his hiring and the T-Wolves should have hired NBA Champion David Blatt or something

I don't think Blatt would consider coming back until the Cavs are done paying him. Getting paid by two teams at once must own.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Also is Pop not doing the obvious and putting Dewayne in for Pau because he's saving that lineup for the playoffs or what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A02gfX9HqVc

dedmon is a black hole on offense

sure he had some fun lobs earlier this year when no one knew he could do that, but nowadays he is virtually worthless. plus he's a foul magnet so he can only play so many minutes a game before he's tossed.

pau's been playing really well recently and will obviously be starting

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Spacebump posted:

I don't think Blatt would consider coming back until the Cavs are done paying him. Getting paid by two teams at once must own.

The contracts usually end if you get another job. Thibs isn't being paid by the Bulls because he took the Timberwolves job, had he stayed out of coaching he'd be being a check from Chicago still.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/816487367611715584

https://twitter.com/CJC9BOSS/status/816486812030029824

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lockback posted:

The contracts usually end if you get another job. Thibs isn't being paid by the Bulls because he took the Timberwolves job, had he stayed out of coaching he'd be being a check from Chicago still.

Blatt probably still getting the difference between CLE salary and new salary from CLE.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Spacebump posted:

In the fast paced world of SAS NBA N/V posting it's hard to recover from that.

That's probably correct. A decent amount of ESPN analysts bet against the Mavs every round that year. (The least in the Portland series but that was still one of their more popular first round upset picks.)

Lol that a slowly dying network spends time going back to change incorrect playoff picks instead of creating better content.

For what it's worth, in my limited understanding, there are two editors who have wide purview on the NBA side and if stuff was changed it would be their impetus, not Ford and not the analysts. The sort of middle management overreach to make their product look better than it is/was, that lots of us probably have experience with.

The only lottery players that I thought would look much better than they have are Dunn and Hield. The fact that Ingram was number one on people's boards is so mind blowing. The lack of instant impact is why I thought a long term project like Bender should have gone so much higher.
I appreciate your devotion to the look even if I don't share your opinions.
Hields struggle with NBA length/speed was predictable, and I think Dunn's ceiling as "Jrue Holiday but cooler and more handsome" isn't really impacted by struggling on a team that's just not working well.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lockback posted:

That's why Blatt is a genius and staying in Europe until his Cavs deal is done. He can get paid by a Euro team and still get money from Cleveland.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Hell yeah take Gilbert's money David

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Dejan Bimble posted:

For what it's worth, in my limited understanding, there are two editors who have wide purview on the NBA side and if stuff was changed it would be their impetus, not Ford and not the analysts. The sort of middle management overreach to make their product look better than it is/was, that lots of us probably have experience with.

I appreciate your devotion to the look even if I don't share your opinions.
Hields struggle with NBA length/speed was predictable, and I think Dunn's ceiling as "Jrue Holiday but cooler and more handsome" isn't really impacted by struggling on a team that's just not working well.
Tbf with Buddy I think it might have just been an adjustment period. He's looked like the Bahamamian JJ Redick in recent weeks

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lockback posted:

Bulls paid $9.5 million last year for Fred Hoiberg to coach the team over Tom Thibodeau.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
He was thrown in the deep water in an awful situation.

Stat peoples, does anyone track the lead swings over games? I would be interested in using that for some theories. I also think it could possibly be more informative than final score.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
This probably isn't the raw data you want, but @EdKupfer posts all kinds of cool graphs on twitter and a lot of them have lead stats.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Rick posted:

He was thrown in the deep water in an awful situation.

Stat peoples, does anyone track the lead swings over games? I would be interested in using that for some theories. I also think it could possibly be more informative than final score.

I know that bkref has play-by-play box score data for individual games, which would be easy to process to find times and scores of lead changes, but I don't know if you can download the data in bulk.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

chunkles posted:

This probably isn't the raw data you want, but @EdKupfer posts all kinds of cool graphs on twitter and a lot of them have lead stats.

Oh this is exactly what I was looking for at least at the moment. I'll follow that dude.

It's really depressing to look at that Lakers chart and realize they only won two games over that stretch despite having double digit leads often in the second quarter of games.

Also, the Jazz chart is interesting because it confirms my belief that they rarely pull away from teams and just play almost everyone--no matter how talented--close.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

the spurs is fascinating vs. the rest of the league. marginal possession advantage lives!

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Today I learned that in the 2009-2010 season Fabricio Oberto played 650 minutes over the course of 57 games (11MPG). In those 650 minutes, he had a TOV% of 36 loving percent. How is that possible?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the spurs is fascinating vs. the rest of the league. marginal possession advantage lives!

Can you explain a bit? This sounds interesting but I don't know what you mean or what to look for in the charts.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

ccing this from the other thread.

sometimes player comps are correct.

Shear Modulus posted:

Can you explain a bit? This sounds interesting but I don't know what you mean or what to look for in the charts.
basically some of the successful teams in the league win games through doing things marginally better than their opponents every possession (the clippers starters do this when they are healthy). They draw more fouls, get more easy baskets, etc... over the course of the game this causes a close game to grow into a 4-9 point game, then into a blowout, with little back and forth. If you look at the Spurs chart, their blowout rate explodes and trail rates crater by the 4th quarter, despite being relatively close throughout the first half.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Someone post a link to buddy getting up, I don't have it on hand

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

basically some of the successful teams in the league win games through doing things marginally better than their opponents every possession (the clippers starters do this when they are healthy). They draw more fouls, get more easy baskets, etc... over the course of the game this causes a close game to grow into a 4-9 point game, then into a blowout, with little back and forth. If you look at the Spurs chart, their blowout rate explodes and trail rates crater by the 4th quarter, despite being relatively close throughout the first half.

Thanks, that's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

On my phone so I'm not going back to quote but

-Every time KAT takes a lovely three I want to throw something so I agree with Thibs and KAT needs to shut the gently caress up.

-Zach is indeed very cool and good and I hope they let him in the three point contest as well as the dunk.

• Locked thread