Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CelticPredator posted:

Because I want to own the real thing, not a pretty good bootleg.

This also applies to The Warriors as well unless they're making a regular cut version on Blu Ray.

For what it's worth, the copy that streaming sites use is definitely not the lovely edit with the insane comic-panel transitions.

MacheteZombie posted:

Dammit, not surprised though.

I mean, from what I remember that was the point of that edit. Tarantino specifically made a cut to exist in home-media formats (TV screens, phones, tablets, whatever) and then a big stupid ostentatious cut to only exist in a big stupid ostentatious medium.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tarantino has very specific ideas about the medium of film that contribute to his directing style, but also lead to him doing weird poo poo like that.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Which would also be bad if it were true

The Exorcist was re-released six-years after its original theatrical run. This 1979 version had an 'updated' sound mix and various visual alterations. The 1973 version has never been given a home release.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Exorcist was re-released six-years after its original theatrical run. This 1979 version had an 'updated' sound mix and various visual alterations. The 1973 version has never been given a home release.

Aren't the visual alterations just like subliminal captain howdy poo poo

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean personally the main reason I want the original versions of the OT to be acknowledged is for historical preservation purposes. It's entirely possible that both the Despecialized Editions and the Team Negative1 edition of ANH will eventually be lost to time, if the seeders drop from all the torrents and the existing copies are lost to hard drive failures and general attrition; while the adage is that things last forever in the age of the Internet, there's a surprising amount that doesn't, especially where piracy is concerned.

Meanwhile, while Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back have theoretically been added to the National Film Registry, they have prints of neither movie, because Lucasfilm was only willing to offer them the Special Edition and they're fairly insistent on having the originals. Lucasfilm is so loving adamant about not letting the originals out that not even the Library of Congress has been able to talk them into it, even with it being solely in the name of preservation (the chances of somebody making a pilgrimage to the Library of Congress to watch Star Wars without the CGI are... probably higher than I'm willing to give credit for, but still, pretty drat slim).

This is mildly disingenuous. The 1979 and 1973 cuts of The Exorcist are, aspect ratio and sound mix aside, indistinguishable from each other; a more accurate comparison, if you intend for it to be analogous with Star Wars, would be if the Version You've Never Seen were the only widely-available cut of the film.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 4, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqNTltOGh5c

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

George Lucas is a crazy rear end in a top hat and I'm really glad he can never hurt Star Wars again.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Lurdiak posted:

Tarantino has very specific ideas about the medium of film that contribute to his directing style, but also lead to him doing weird poo poo like that.

I'm still waiting for Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

So: what I've written is true.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

To Lucas' defense, the Special Editions only exist because Star Wars '77 was in such loving hideous condition by 1994. Since 30-40% of the effects had to be re-composited anyways...

Also, Han shooting Greedo was changed apparently because the MPAA threatened a PG-13 re-rating. That's also why a few frames were snipped here and there to remove impacts of blaster hits. Of course, it's a moot point considering the last three Star Wars films have been rated PG-13...

For that matter, the MPAA changed THX-1138 from PG to R for the director's cut, despite the content that earned that rating was always in the film.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 4, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The DVD version has a stereo mix instead of mono. Audiophiles are enraged I'm sure.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Lmao, the death Star dogfight sequence of the theatrical cut looks like loving garbage compared to the SE cut among other things

I can't see this post because a big PS1-cutscene rear end dinosaur is in front of it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Lmao, the death Star dogfight sequence of the theatrical cut looks like loving garbage compared to the SE cut among other things

Also here's the same post again so readers can get dialogue they already heard but with you as a giant slug this time. Also there's a really lovely effect to make me jump in the air.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

It's technically true, but it's not a particularly good argument, for the reason I outlined.

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, Han shooting Greedo was changed apparently because the MPAA threatened a PG-13 re-rating. That's also why a few frames were snipped here and there to remove impacts of blaster hits. Of course, it's a moot point considering the last three Star Wars films have been rated PG-13...

For that matter, the MPAA changed THX-1138 from PG to R for the director's cut, despite the content that earned that rating was always in the film.

Wasn't the blood when Obi-Wan hacks off that one gleep-glop's arm in the cantina also taken out for that reason?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Brute Force is spellbinding.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

K. Waste posted:

Brute Force is spellbinding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCi_Lv4kWZs

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Love, Actually is as bad as it looks, right?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The DVD version has a stereo mix instead of mono. Audiophiles are enraged I'm sure.

They also pulled a reverse-Matrix and changed the dominant colour scheme from green to blue.

It's simply not unusual for the original versions of films to vanish, even if they are 'important'.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Do it. I'll contribute.

While I don't care as much about whether a track has surround or not, I love it when it's an immersive mix.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804014

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Sorry if this has been mentioned, but this is pretty interesting.

TLDR, the Titanic might've been hosed before it hit the iceberg. A fire, allegedly, made the hull weaker than it normally would've been.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I adore that film. The first time I saw it was on a TV/DVD combo unit with four other sailors straight out basic training, all crowded around the 10 inch screen and unexpectedly tearing up. I've since seen it at least five more times.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

TLDR, the Titanic might've been hosed before it hit the iceberg. A fire, allegedly, made the hull weaker than it normally would've been.

The fire reportedly broke out when an old-timey car overheated and caught fire. Analysts are doing DNA analysis on a stain left on the seats

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

blue squares posted:

The fire reportedly broke out when an old-timey car overheated and caught fire. Analysts are doing DNA analysis on a stain left on the seats

Jack got rose gleekin' all over the place.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

They also pulled a reverse-Matrix and changed the dominant colour scheme from green to blue.

It's simply not unusual for the original versions of films to vanish, even if they are 'important'.

That was actually with the 25th anniversary edition not the 1979 rerelease but it is a shame. Older dvds lack the blue tint.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

BTW if you are not aware of this youtube channel, you're welcome in advance:

https://www.youtube.com/user/everyframeapainting/videos

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Only if you're a grinch

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Gorgio Moroder Presents Metropolis is the best Metropolis.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
There is no original cut of Brazil.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Only if you're a grinch

Luckily for me, I'm a Krampus.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Ya but you'll like it

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Lurdiak posted:

Luckily for me, I'm a Krampus.

Ya ain't even a brownie.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Well, it's a lot like your posting...

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I Before E posted:

Well, it's a lot like your posting...

you better be a huge fan of Lurdiak's posting or else you and me gonna have a problem!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

blue squares posted:

you better be a huge fan of Lurdiak's posting or else you and me gonna have a problem!

I haven't actually seen the movie, I just like making "much like your posting" gags

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

K. Waste posted:

Gorgio Moroder Presents Metropolis is the best Metropolis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPNaaogT8fs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbE44C6So8k&t=517s

wyoming posted:

There is no original cut of Brazil.

Not exactly. Gilliam's initial cut was released in Europe. He cut it as a compromise to get Universal to release it. The director's cut as released by Criterion is basically the European cut with a few of the US cut changes that Gilliam preferred.

Also, the premiere cuts of Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago are lost. The 1988 restoration of LoA was trimmed slightly per David Lean and one scene omitted due to missing audio. Doctor Zhivago was initially released about 10-15 minutes longer before it was trimmed to its current cut. This was only because David Lean had to deliver an edit in time for the premiere.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That was actually with the 25th anniversary edition not the 1979 rerelease but it is a shame. Older dvds lack the blue tint.

Right - and neither version is green.

The 25th Anniversary's blue is likely an attempt at restoring/approximating the original look. The ones you perceived as the less-shameful and untouched originals are actually the bigger deviation.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

wyoming posted:

Ya ain't even a brownie.

Looks like we found the real grinch...

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

The 25th Anniversary's blue is likely an attempt at restoring/approximating the original look. The ones you perceived as the less-shameful and untouched originals are actually the bigger deviation.

Which of the editions features a Red CG Devil walking in front of the camera during the climactic exorcism scene?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

but you just said the 1979 version did the blue tint from this hypothetical green version. Which version was the original DVD going off of?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

porfiria posted:

Which of the editions features a Red CG Devil walking in front of the camera during the climactic exorcism scene?

Exorcist.wad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

MisterBibs posted:

Apparently this has been known for a while and the timeframe this new special was using is completely wrong. According to a few things I read the evidence they're using means the fire would have been going on for 11 months.

• Locked thread