Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
You forgot Topher Grace being way better than Tobey Maguire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Blockhouse posted:

You forgot Topher Grace being way better than Tobey Maguire

Truth. I didn't just want to list every superhero movie but there's a lot of examples of this.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
To this day, I still do not understand the appeal and meteoric rise in the careers of Toby Maguire and Jennifer Lawrence.

They are both fine. But they both exploded out of nowhere into major roles that most people generally agree were mediocre performances and somehow became Oscar Bait actors and A-Listers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will be honest:

I liked Alfred Molina's sympathetic and likable Dr. Octopus more than almost any other version. I agree the mind control is lame but I genuinely wish they'd somehow just worked him out as a sad broken man trying to do what he thought was right and maybe driven a bit mad by the accident. Molina sold those moments of Octopus incredible well.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

To this day, I still do not understand the appeal and meteoric rise in the careers of Toby Maguire and Jennifer Lawrence.

They are both fine. But they both exploded out of nowhere into major roles that most people generally agree were mediocre performances and somehow became Oscar Bait actors and A-Listers.

If you erased the Spider-Man movies Maguire probably would have had a very similar career except for maybe not getting the leading role in Seabiscuit. Just would have kept on doing more stuff like Wonder Boys or Cider House Rules.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Winter's Bone was Lawrence's first major role, and she got an Oscar nomination and some other awards for it. That always leads to being cast in a bunch of other things.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

I will be honest:

I liked Alfred Molina's sympathetic and likable Dr. Octopus more than almost any other version. I agree the mind control is lame but I genuinely wish they'd somehow just worked him out as a sad broken man trying to do what he thought was right and maybe driven a bit mad by the accident. Molina sold those moments of Octopus incredible well.

It works well in the context of the one movie and if you don't care about having this villain come back for future installments. Everything about Ock's character, his relationship with Peter, and Peter's journey in the film are interconnected. In the end, Peter indirectly saves New York by using his relationship with Octavius and bestowing the lesson of responsibility on him that Peter has only recently just reaffirmed for himself. If he was just straight up evil after the accident it's hard to do a redemption arc or have him learn anything or engender any of the sympathy needed to do those things.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

I will be honest:

Yeah, that would have been okay. Maybe they felt that would take too long to show and that movie's really loving long as it is, but they should have worked out something better.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

I will be honest:

I agree there, it's weird to say but Molina did way too good a job as Doc Ock for the way he was written. Like, that's a really hosed up thing to say as if he should have phoned it in a bit or something but those moments we got of him just being a broken human being who had such potential to be a hero in his own way were A) 100% fitting for the character we have in the comic books and a fantastic treatment of one if the classic badguys of Spider-Man, and B) absolutely wasted on a pretty generic superhero movie that needed a big bombastic baddie. I think the movie was fine and obviously he did great, but yea it feels like easily the most wasted potential in those movies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The mind control gave us that cool shot of the tentacles hovering around his head, drawing a parallel to how they manipulate the fusion reaction. And "Listen to ME NOW..."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

I will be honest:

The Spider-man 2 video game is based on the novelization, which is based on an earlier script, and in that version it's far less about the mind control tentacles and more that Octavius thinks Spider-man's interference caused the accident and his wife's death, so he's basically driven by rage and a need to prove to the world he didn't gently caress up by recreating the experiment, no matter the cost. The voice acting of Spider-man and Octopus is done by MacGuire and Molina, so it's like an alternate universe take on the events of the film.

I think making Ock more sympathetic and a bit of a mentor to Peter was a good move since it draws parallels between them, since they're both science nerds who made mistakes and got powers, but how they handle it is completely different. Ock shirks all responsibility for his actions, while Peter is defined by that responsibility. Maybe mind control wasn't the best way to give him redemption, but I liked that he got it.

purple death ray posted:

Yeah aside from the MCU the vast majority of superhero movie villains are way better than the heroes.

Find me a single person who thinks Loki isn't more compelling than Thor.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lurdiak posted:

The Spider-man 2 video game is based on the novelization, which is based on an earlier script, and in that version it's far less about the mind control tentacles and more that Octavius thinks Spider-man's interference caused the accident and his wife's death, so he's basically driven by rage and a need to prove to the world he didn't gently caress up by recreating the experiment, no matter the cost. The voice acting of Spider-man and Octopus is done by MacGuire and Molina, so it's like an alternate universe take on the events of the film.

I think making Ock more sympathetic and a bit of a mentor to Peter was a good move since it draws parallels between them, since they're both science nerds who made mistakes and got powers, but how they handle it is completely different. Ock shirks all responsibility for his actions, while Peter is defined by that responsibility. Maybe mind control wasn't the best way to give him redemption, but I liked that he got it.

Find me a single person who thinks Loki isn't more compelling than Thor.

I mean I find neither of them compelling, does that count?

I guess gun to my head I'd rather see Loki scenes than Thor but the MCU Thor stuff in generally I just cannot pretend to give a poo poo about, and I'm pretty fine with Thor as a comic character.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Also Loki is one guy out of like five hundred movies or so

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Loki is also pretty crap in The Avengers.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'd like a movie about heimdall tia marvel

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

Even the lovely ones have like Arnold and Uma Thurman going full ham.

EVERYBODY CHILL

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here's the big news everyone has been waiting on! We're getting Bloodwulf and Bloodstrike movies!

http://deadline.com/2017/01/deadpool-rob-liefeld-extreme-universe-movie-deal-fundamental-films-graham-king-akiva-goldsman-1201877766/

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
His loving face turn at the end is amazing, too. "Take two of these and call me in the morning."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Here's the big news everyone has been waiting on! We're getting Bloodwulf and Bloodstrike movies!

http://deadline.com/2017/01/deadpool-rob-liefeld-extreme-universe-movie-deal-fundamental-films-graham-king-akiva-goldsman-1201877766/

"Fresh IP."

LoL.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's a bunch of assholes in those comments defending Rob Liefeld.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They clearly have no idea that they licensed a shitload of Marvel ripoffs. Disney's legal team will have a field day if any of those films ever happen.

They won't.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Oh holy poo poo if Rob Liefeld could kill two superhero media bubbles in one lifetime that'd be a thing to see.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The MCU films are so formulaic and generic it's less a superhero movie golden age and more the exact same ratio of good/terrible movies as before, except with a lot of mediocre filler in between.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not really.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Totally hyped for these characters I've never heard of from acclaimed writer extraordinare Rob liefeld and his xxxtreme universe

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

X-O posted:

Has CGI gotten good enough to depict these characters as Rob originally intended them?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MH Knights posted:

Has CGI gotten good enough to depict these characters as Rob originally intended them?

Hiding feet is pretty low budget. Just don't include the feet in the shot, or if it has to be a wider shot they can be standing behind something or there's dry ice mist along the floor.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hope the window in the background constantly change shape and size.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I look forward to a lens effect that makes all crotches look like light can't escape them.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Time to buy shares in synthol!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

WickedHate posted:

The MCU films are so formulaic and generic it's less a superhero movie golden age and more the exact same ratio of good/terrible movies as before, except with a lot of mediocre filler in between.

People know and actively give a poo poo about Drax the Destroyer. You're wrong.

Bruceski posted:

I am a HUGE sucker for "hero still being a hero when he doesn't have his powers" stuff, so that worked for me.

I don't mind the basic beats, I guess. Peter feels like being Spidey is ruining his life, he sees an excuse to quit and takes it, and then it turns out that it kinda sucks. All of that is good. I just wish we had some kind of logic to it. His powers are based on his emotions? How come he only lost some of them? He was able to do his super jumps and kept his superhuman durability before MJ was in trouble. That's why I called it hokey.

It was a little sad watching him see a guy get mugged and just walk away. You don't have to be Spider-Man, Pete. Just call the cops.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

WickedHate posted:

what is the formula?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

WickedHate posted:

Why do people keep saying this? The MCU has given us plenty of summer action blockbusters, sure (I guess that's what you mean by generic,) but it's also given us a space opera, a political thriller or two, a heist flick, a thinly-veiled monster movie, and a wuxia film.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chaos Hippy posted:

Why do people keep saying this? The MCU has given us plenty of summer action blockbusters, sure (I guess that's what you mean by generic,) but it's also given us a space opera, a political thriller or two, a heist flick, a thinly-veiled monster movie, and a wuxia film.

Seriously? I felt like I was sleepwalking through the same movies with slightly different action scenes every time. The only one that was really all that different was The Incredible Hulk. The rest are different genres only in setting and minor plot details.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Chaos Hippy posted:

Don't engage with Wicked Hate.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh come on, that's a widely agreed upon opinion! :colbert:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

poly and open-minded posted:

what is the formula?

Being good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The MCU movies are 'formulaic' in the sense that nearly literally every story like them are. Like, they follow the very base conventions of storytelling this kinda topic where heroes rise and stumble and require help from others to overcome a danger that seems greater than themselves. That's how stories are though, to call it 'formulaic' for the MCU to do it is ignoring the fact that they didn't invent, nor are anywhere near the worst offender of, this concept.

The only real 'formula' they have that is at the very base level superhero story unique rather than just 'story' unique is nearly every team movie has to have a scene at the early part where everyone gets to use their power for exactly one beat so it's established the audience right away 'ok this is the fast guy, this is the strong guy, this girl shoots lasers out of her butt, and this guy for some reason turns into a pile of goo he's probably gonna be useless comic relief'. Again that's not really a bad thing, it's a method of storytelling to save time, but yea if you watch a poo poo ton of hero movies you pick up the trend.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's a bit too many Marvel movies where the villain is just a big evil reflection of the hero, I'll say that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lurdiak posted:

There's a bit too many Marvel movies where the villain is just a big evil reflection of the hero, I'll say that much.

I'd argue that there's too many Marvel villains that are just big evil reflections of heroes is the real issue there

• Locked thread