Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Season 4 is on and I'm really enjoying watching Oberyn dominate every scene that he's in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The quality drop between Season 4 and 5 remains staggering.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

lifts cats over head posted:

Season 4 is on and I'm really enjoying watching Oberyn dominate every scene that he's in.

He's really the best. :smith:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I recall being called a baby for thinking that slavishly following the book wrt Oberyn might not be the best idea when all the good actors are cast for temporary characters only and the king's landing set was already getting somewhat thin on good actors at the time and I feel vindicated now. They could have just not killed him in the duel, cut out everything to do with Dorne/Sand Snakes plot and keep Pedro Pascal on to sex up/poo poo talk everybody until the big explosion and still have Elaria be at the meeting with Olenna and Varys because Cersei would have just blown up her husband right now, and the show would be better for it.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Guys we are at episode 8 season 3. Going to try to film some unspoiled ep 9 reactions tonight.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

hanales posted:

Guys we are at episode 8 season 3. Going to try to film some unspoiled ep 9 reactions tonight.

don't do that you freakin goon lmfao

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

Asehujiko posted:

I recall being called a baby for thinking that slavishly following the book wrt Oberyn might not be the best idea when all the good actors are cast for temporary characters only and the king's landing set was already getting somewhat thin on good actors at the time and I feel vindicated now. They could have just not killed him in the duel, cut out everything to do with Dorne/Sand Snakes plot and keep Pedro Pascal on to sex up/poo poo talk everybody until the big explosion and still have Elaria be at the meeting with Olenna and Varys because Cersei would have just blown up her husband right now, and the show would be better for it.

In hindsight sure the show would've been better with him staying but he was already signed on for Narcos before they started filming his season of GoT. I wouldn't have had a problem with them diverging from the books for it since that's all the last 2-3 seasons have been doing. At least it would've been a change for the good.

The biggest hit and miss to me in terms of diverging was Ramsay. I don't know what the goon hype was about Iwan Rheon but he was absolutely a terrible pick for the role. Not only did it completely change the character's entire motivation from the books but Rheon didn't have the presence to pull off a truly barbaric character that the show desperately needed you to feel since that was the basis of the last two seasons. A short GQ model bare chested fighting was loving laughable all by itself, fifty times so adding in the yakety sax getaways.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

crazy cloud posted:

don't do that you freakin goon lmfao

lol I did it to my wife when it first aired she wants to do it to her daughter.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

hanales posted:

lol I did it to my wife when it first aired she wants to do it to her daughter.

Do it and post it itt thx

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Love Crime posted:

In hindsight sure the show would've been better with him staying but he was already signed on for Narcos before they started filming his season of GoT. I wouldn't have had a problem with them diverging from the books for it since that's all the last 2-3 seasons have been doing. At least it would've been a change for the good.

The biggest hit and miss to me in terms of diverging was Ramsay. I don't know what the goon hype was about Iwan Rheon but he was absolutely a terrible pick for the role. Not only did it completely change the character's entire motivation from the books but Rheon didn't have the presence to pull off a truly barbaric character that the show desperately needed you to feel since that was the basis of the last two seasons. A short GQ model bare chested fighting was loving laughable all by itself, fifty times so adding in the yakety sax getaways.

Yeah, in retrospect it said a lot about the direction this show was taking when they cast a baby-faced heartthrob as the loathsome fat ugly murder rapist bastard who exists only to be hideous in every way.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So I was watching this series for the first time and literally nothing happened in till the vagina smoke monster appeared and killed some guy. Basically every thing was just everyone talking about how great they are and the good things they did off screen. I'm sure the red hair chick rolled her eyes when she said 1000s died at the battle of blackwater bay even though it lasted like 20m and one cavalry charge killed 1000s of soldiers.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Tenzarin posted:

So I was watching this series for the first time and literally nothing happened in till the vagina smoke monster appeared and killed some guy. Basically every thing was just everyone talking about how great they are and the good things they did off screen. I'm sure the red hair chick rolled her eyes when she said 1000s died at the battle of blackwater bay even though it lasted like 20m and one cavalry charge killed 1000s of soldiers.

I...what...

Nothing happened in the whole show until season 2?

Did you skip season 1 or what?

But yes, the show has a lot of tell don't show battle scenes, budget reasons. It's a shame, but we can't spend one hour every year watching people each other. We can only do that SOME years.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tenzarin posted:

this is an opinion

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The blackwater battle had one cool CGI explosion and like 20 guys storming this one gate using one ladder, it was pretty underwhelming but it managed to conceal that with the character moments which were all executed very well. It also had Stannis chopping heads in half and Tyrion cleaving through a dude's knee so overall it was still pretty awesome.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The blackwater battle had one cool CGI explosion and like 20 guys storming this one gate using one ladder, it was pretty underwhelming but it managed to conceal that with the character moments which were all executed very well. It also had Stannis chopping heads in half and Tyrion cleaving through a dude's knee so overall it was still pretty awesome.
holy poo poo I completely forgot about this :nws:

:black101:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

It wasn't even a cool explosion.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

emanresu tnuocca posted:

In my opinion,

Thousands died at the battle of blackwater bay! Notice how many times they say a simple large number over and over trying to show you the grandness of the story. Stennis was somehow a military genius does nothing for 4 seasons and dies. What a stupid character on the show.

The thing I find most annoying is how with every episode they gotta refill you in. Mance gathered the poo poo out of the wilding tribes that people cant stop listing how many tribes he has saved.

Alot of battles are shown to be won with just single cavalry charge, where are the spearmen? Don't they have any people with spears in these armies?

kater posted:

It wasn't even a cool explosion.

All they did was color it green.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 3, 2017

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
I've never been more ashamed of internet posters in my entire life.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The explosion was good. It was also followed by the most metal line in the show: "thousands"

I think it was a very good episode it's just that the battle scenes fail to create a convincing sense of scale.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It really wasn't until later that they figured out how to film a really good battle. Most of the major battles in the north have been pretty top notch.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

For the budget, I thought they captured a decent sense of a Fog of War type situation. My friends and I were watching in the dark and expecting a fictional analogue of Greek Fire, not Napalm on steroids. Needless to say everyone was speechless when the room went totally green for a few moments. It was a good 'splosion.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
The smaller budget also made them focus on important things like character and story instead of spectacle.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The Vikings is not a very good show and it has a much lower budget (I guess?) and do medieval battles much better than GoT

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Blackwater was the best battle so far. Fight me.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

In It For The Tank posted:

Ain't gonna fight you. it wasn't shot as well as the Battle of the Bastards and it wasn't horrifying like Hardhome but it had the least amount of retarded and lazy Hollywood poo poo (like the loving White Walker throwing Jon around instead of killing him or Ollie and Ygritte during the battle for the Wall). The series was all about breaking formula and now formula is all it has.

edit: lol and blackwater had the puke barrels

Asbury fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 3, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Certainly the best battle episode. The dialogue in that one is on point. It's too bad the Gurm is too busy not writing his books to write any more episodes because he's pretty good at it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Elias_Maluco posted:

The Vikings is not a very good show and it has a much lower budget (I guess?) and do medieval battles much better than GoT

I like Vikings (haven't seen the latest half-season, though) but typically the battles look miniscule. The first attack on Paris was an exception, that was great work. The second attack looked like it took place on one boat, but still fun to watch.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
Vikings is a good show, a much gooder show than GoT since S3, much recommend.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I've noticed the fanbase has gotten a lot more negative towards GRRM recently. A couple years ago people were getting hype over every little thing that might lead to an announcement and now it seems like most people don't expect the book before 2018 with ADOS maybe never being finished.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
It will continue to dwindle down to the true believers as he continues to give 0 fucks about finishing the books that are the only reason anyone knows he exists, and the amount of bitterness with be largely proportional to how lovely the show ending turns out to be.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Did we already talk about the probable leak of the season because lol if even half that stuff is true

TOOT BOOT posted:

I've noticed the fanbase has gotten a lot more negative towards GRRM recently. A couple years ago people were getting hype over every little thing that might lead to an announcement and now it seems like most people don't expect the book before 2018 with ADOS maybe never being finished.

The more and more he delayed and became noncommittal about when it'd come out (if ever), the more people lost hope. His announcement last year that it wasn't even half done was the killing blow

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I've noticed that too. The marked decrease in quality of Seasons 5 and 6 are probably to blame. Now that the show is delivering future story beats (badly), even the most diehard GRRM defenders have started to turn against him because it's impossible to fall back on tired old slogans of "it will be done when it's done", "better for it to be late and good than on-time and bad", "he doesn't owe you an ending" (lol people actually say this) and "GRRM is not your bitch" when the show is charging on ahead and spoiling everything. As someone pointed out in the TBB thread, it's increasingly likely at this point that the show will have started and finished before GRRM could write just one book.

The fact that GRRM categorically refuses to discuss his progress on the book while maintaining a public blog that highlights everything he does except write TWOW just rubs salt in the wound.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The Book Barn thread has hated GRRM ever since I've read it. How long ago was that not true?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

The Bad Thread were prophets warning us of what was to come but alas we took no heed.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He's rich and doesn't give a gently caress. He'll die before ever finishing the series because fantasy writers are mostly garbage and have to milk their successes till nobody cares. See Wheel of Time series for what the future holds.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Jon snow is a targaryan.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lycus posted:

The Book Barn thread has hated GRRM ever since I've read it. How long ago was that not true?

It was always the case, but really spiked after Feast. Then Dance came out and we were flooded with show watching idiots and I caught a probation for making fun of gurm in the goddamned bad thread. 2011 was weird time, but it's finally come full circle so even fans that started the series because of the show realize what an Absolute Fucker gurm is.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The Bad Thread were prophets warning us of what was to come but alas we took no heed.

The start of the show was so good, I think you will be forgiven.

But yeah, gently caress GRRM. It's basically a defensive mechanism at this point.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Bad thread turned on him when he missed a big deadline for Dance in like . . . 08? 09 maybe. The deadline he had posted at the time just sort of sailed by without any mention of it on his blog, and that was around the moment that people in the thread started to get REALLY salty.

It's not like that thread was good to begin with though. People would spoil new readers to the series when they popped in saying "hey this seems like a cool book, no spoilers, should I read it?"

The response was always a paragraph about why they would like it and then in the middle of a sentence just start spoiling everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

If anyone ever has hope of him finishing these books link them the video of him with the chick who played Shae. He eats like 4 dinners and spends all his time with gross comic nerds

• Locked thread