Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I found a seemingly cool job down in Stockholm but they have for some reason adapted the hiring practice I keep reading about here and I don't even have the energy to apply. 6 interviews, some kind of IQ test, and a take home thing iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i got an email from apple guy and i should have a phone interview with them in the next couple of weeks!

apple is the only company that just stopped talking to me after doing multiple interviews instead of at least shooting an email. so look out for that i guess

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
the professional enemies I have are people who don't understand that being on a different side of an issue (because our employers have incompatible interest) isn't a personal slight, or managers who can't handle being told that no, I can't change the laws of nature and man for your pet project.

I've been told I'm too blunt for my own good

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

FrozenVent posted:

i struggle with this too. this is where a good PM who liaises for you comes in handy

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

FrozenVent posted:

the professional enemies I have are people who don't understand that being on a different side of an issue (because our employers have incompatible interest) isn't a personal slight, or managers who can't handle being told that no, I can't change the laws of nature and man for your pet project.

same

or people who can't understand that time is a limited resource that is shared among all of the project's concerns, not just the ones they care about

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

compuserved posted:

i struggle with this too. this is where a good PM who liaises for you comes in handy

tho i have found that making nice with the pms who Get It is starting to help in this regard

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

maniacdevnull posted:

tho i have found that making nice with the pms who Get It is starting to help in this regard
what do you do if they transfer to other orgs :(

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Elysiume posted:

what do you do if they transfer to other orgs :(

seppuku

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

good news fam I got a job offer in seattle doing :jeb: stuff and I'm prob gonna take it

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

nice

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

goongrats bloody

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

what is :jeb: stuff btw

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bloody posted:

good news fam I got a job offer in seattle doing :jeb: stuff and I'm prob gonna take it

*golf clap*

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
congrats

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

triple sulk posted:

what is :jeb: stuff btw

it is building spaceships for jeffy b

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

& thanks fam

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

compuserved posted:

yeah see where I work the technical people are the ones in the wrong, so our manager protected us for about two months then realized the way to advancement was to poo poo on us like the rest of them

poo poo's hilarious

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i would like to contribute to this thread but i can't without sounding smug as gently caress

there are companies that don't suck and there are execs who are not assholes

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

smug it up, smuggo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dr. Honked posted:

i would like to contribute to this thread but i can't without sounding smug as gently caress

this guy probably finds his job fulfilling, the smug bastard

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Dr. Honked posted:

but hr are always dicks

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
did some practice interview questions today. not because I need it, just to get my confidence up that I can do this. it's been a long time since I interviewed

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Bloody posted:

:yotj:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bloody posted:

get paid, bloody. increment those figgies.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

a deece 6.1 figgies

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

hobbesmaster posted:

yes. well there are other ways to do it but i don't think there's any reason not to implement a dictionary as a tree of some sort

I guess you could do that, but I would suspect most dictionaries are implemented as hashmaps. I.e the hash of the object you're storing is computed and used as the index to a list, giving you O(1) puts and gets (assuming you don't have too many collisions, and each "bucket" you store things in only has 1 value)

Binary search trees are going to have O(log n) insertions and retrievals (on average), and run the risk of becoming imbalanced (if you're ever using a Tree class of some kind from a standard lib they probably already do this for you, but its sort of a pain to implement yourself. This is what the guy was referring to when he told interviewees not to worry about balancing the trees)

I agree programming interviews can be nit picky and ridiculous, but these are fundamental data structures

ADINSX fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 4, 2017

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

netcat posted:

I found a seemingly cool job down in Stockholm but they have for some reason adapted the hiring practice I keep reading about here and I don't even have the energy to apply. 6 interviews, some kind of IQ test, and a take home thing iirc.

hmm what company

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

pretty much

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Maximum Leader posted:

hmm what company

klarna, though I guess they didn't have a take home after all

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
just finished a 5.5-hour interview gauntlet. despite struggling with algorithm questions (ugh) i still feel like i did okay, so in actuality i probably hosed up big time. we'll see

interviewing has destroyed my self-confidence

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i'm interviewing someone tomorrow who has been doing a java apprenticeship. hmm.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

netcat posted:

klarna, though I guess they didn't have a take home after all

apparently 23 high up bosses left quite recently, among others their hr boss. somethings going on over there, might be better to stay away

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

journyman in java

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Elder Postsman posted:

i'm interviewing someone tomorrow who has been doing a java apprenticeship. hmm.

ask what all three meanings of "final" are

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

carry on then posted:

ive heard this one a lot

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

final... finally... finally gonna end this interview am I right?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

compuserved posted:

just finished a 5.5-hour interview gauntlet. despite struggling with algorithm questions (ugh) i still feel like i did okay, so in actuality i probably hosed up big time. we'll see

interviewing has destroyed my self-confidence

it's okay to struggle if you show your thinking and what your approach would be toward reaching a solution, even if you don't make it all the way. recognizing the problems and describing what doesn't work and why is also important. not every problem needs to be solved in the span of an interview.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Management posted:

it's okay to struggle if you show your thinking and what your approach would be toward reaching a solution, even if you don't make it all the way. recognizing the problems and describing what doesn't work and why is also important. not every problem needs to be solved in the span of an interview.

this was not true for the phone interview i had with xilinx, which amounted to "recite some verilog without looking anything up first" and "what is the implementation for <thing> that I am thinking of? not the way you would do it, the way i would do it"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Raluek posted:

this was not true for the phone interview i had with xilinx, which amounted to "recite some verilog without looking anything up first" and "what is the implementation for <thing> that I am thinking of? not the way you would do it, the way i would do it"

these are skills that are required to use their products. checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

carry on then posted:

they could give any answer because idk anything about java

• Locked thread