Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
One thing about the Craddle series is that you have to dismiss the usual Xanxia conceit where going up a level means it's IMPOSSIBLE to lose against someone of a lower level (unless there are significant differences in techniques/whatever).

It's mentioned as a real possibility that Long Sai could get ganked by a lowgold by mistake, and the fight at the end of Book 1 is very unlikely but not that rare. It's very possible the sect had some really nasty poison AND got stupidly lucky (E.G, he was out of power when he was sleeping, and not just sleeping normally), etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Magical Girl Raising Project: Aces (the 5th arc) finally explains what's up with the Land of Magic and how it originated. It's about time!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I just read Soulsmith, and it actually implicitly explains the Sword Sage being poisoned. You only get poison resistance if you go the route Lindon took when you reach Iron; the Sword Sage chose a different method that was better for a swordsman.

Lindon got a lot fewer lucky victories in fights this time; mostly he had to rely on other people to rescue him. He did kill a Highgold as an Iron (3 stages above him, just like when he killed Whitehall), but only because the Kral was distracted by an Underlord (albeit in negotiation rather than a fight) and because Lindon had underwent a much better version of the Sandviper Iron advancement than Kral had.

Jai Long has some interesting nuances to his character. I don't really think anything he did was justified, but he at least had understandable reasons for most of it (and Yerin has done some similar things for similar reasons; most random Jai clan members probably don't deserve to die, but most of the Heaven's Glory Irons probably didn't either). It's also interesting that Suriel's Presence said there was a possibility of his sister talking him out of slaughtering the Jai clan.

Eithan's statistics on advancement (which, to be fair, are prefaced with "I've heard") seem exaggerated. If you do the multiplication, he's saying only one in 10 billion people who reach Lowgold reach Underlord. Even assuming that basically everyone outside of Sacred Valley reaches Lowgold, and allowing for the increased lifespan that seems to come with reaching Underlord, Cradle would have to be very large or very overpopulated to have much more than a couple Underlords in the world, and we've been told there are "a handful" of them in the Blackflame Empire alone, plus at least 10 people we know of from other parts of Cradle who are almost certainly above Underlord. Though maybe Cradle really is that large, like the settings of Toriko and Tower of God.

I'm interested in seeing what path Lindon's training takes from here. The problem with learning Stellar Spear from the Jai Patriarch is that Jai Long is specialized in killing Stellar Spear users. Suriel's Presence mentions the possibility of Lindon developing a counter to Jai Long's spear, which would reduce that problem, but seems to treat it as mutually exclusive to learning Stellar Spear, perhaps because there's only so much Lindon can do in a year.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 13, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Just a thought I had in the shower, but is "reverse isekai" a thing? E.g. a wizard accidentally himself to modern Japan, doesn't remember how, and is now missing most of the reagents and books he needs to do his wizard things.

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003

nielsm posted:

Just a thought I had in the shower, but is "reverse isekai" a thing? E.g. a wizard accidentally himself to modern Japan, doesn't remember how, and is now missing most of the reagents and books he needs to do his wizard things.

Harry Potter and the Natural 20 is the closest I've seen in actual webfiction. The Devil is a Part-timer more closely fits your description; it's got official English releases of the lightnovels, manga, and anime. The anime was pretty good, can't speak for the rest.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Tsubasa2004 posted:

Harry Potter and the Natural 20 is the closest I've seen in actual webfiction.

This is the dumbest thing and I love it. D&D mechanics jokes are a pretty low form of humor but drat if I'm not amused every time.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Tsubasa2004 posted:

Harry Potter and the Natural 20 is the closest I've seen in actual webfiction. The Devil is a Part-timer more closely fits your description; it's got official English releases of the lightnovels, manga, and anime. The anime was pretty good, can't speak for the rest.

LNs are good too, at least in my opinion. The editor did a good job of making something that doesn't feel stilted the way a lot of translations do, and the base material is higher quality than the average LN. Same with the Oregairu/My Youth Romantic Comedy is Wrong, as I Expected translation. Just hoping this also holds up for KonoSuba.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tsubasa2004 posted:

This started off really bad but actually ended up becoming quite competent. At first it seemed like it was just going to be a D&D wizard amazing and owning everyone in the Harry Potter universe, but it actually ends up having a coherent story.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

nielsm posted:

I remember a one shot by the Hinamatsuri guy being kind of in that vein.

The Life of Mitamura Sakurako (Alias)

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Way of Choices is probably my new favorite web novel dethroning ISSTH.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Lyon posted:

Way of Choices is probably my new favorite web novel dethroning ISSTH.

I started reading ISSTH after liking Way of Choices and while it was entertaining at first i'm at like chapter 655~ and I'm pretty tired of Meng Hao at this point. He's such a douche, but literally everyone ever gives him their most special treasures ever because of dumb luck. He pretty much treats everyone else like garbage and despite talking up repaying kindnesses and will gladly take all the powerful poo poo from someone and then will waffle about even saving their lives in return unless they bribe him even more. The only people he actually treated well were the Crow Divinity Tribe but they literally worship him as a god and gave him a billion powerups, so. I much more prefer the more empathetic lead in Way of Choices.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 2, 2017

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Wolpertinger posted:

I started reading ISSTH after liking Way of Choices and while it was entertaining at first i'm at like chapter 655~ and I'm pretty tired of Meng Hao at this point. He's such a douche, but literally everyone ever gives him their most special treasures ever because of dumb luck. He pretty much treats everyone else like garbage and despite talking up repaying kindnesses and will gladly take all the powerful poo poo from someone and then will waffle about even saving their lives in return unless they bribe him even more. The only people he actually treated well were the Crow Divinity Tribe but they literally worship him as a god and gave him a billion powerups, so. I much more prefer the more empathetic lead in Way of Choices.

If you haven't read many of these wuxia/xianxia web novels and are just comparing Chen Changsheng to Meng Hao then it will come off that way. Meng Hao is relatively moral for the genre. Meng Hao does treat his close friends very well if you look at all of the original Reliance Sect disciples, Pill Demon, his family, Chu Yuyan, and other people he actually cares about. Anyone outside of that group is going to have to pay for his help if they get it at all. His big thing is he likes conning people. ISSTH goes through cycles of cons, power ups, and battles. I typically enjoy the cons and the power ups (even if they're a bit contrived, I love the reaction shots like when he goes through the Fang Clan gate) but don't really enjoy the battles all that much especially because they can take forever. The overarching world is pretty cool and I still want to learn all about the mountain and sea realm, the ancient wars, Lord Li, etc but I'm currently enjoying Way of Choices a bit more.

Chen Changsheng is by far the most moral/caring/relatable character in any of the web novels I've read. I just find the world of Way of Choices to be more interesting than ISSTH. Way of Choices has a decent amount of fun political stuff that just doesn't exist in ISSTH and the writing style is very cool. Reminds me of Dune (in some ways obviously, not overall quality) which is one of my favorite books.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jan 2, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lol at seoul station's necromancer. i've said before that it is dumb, trashy fun but the last few chapters were hilarious. it turns out that to win the war on terror, you just have skeletons kill all the bad guys in afghanistan including the head bad guy! thanks for the insight, korean wn.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

lol at seoul station's necromancer. i've said before that it is dumb, trashy fun but the last few chapters were hilarious. it turns out that to win the war on terror, you just have skeletons kill all the bad guys in afghanistan including the head bad guy! thanks for the insight, korean wn.

What? This sounds amazing hah. Guess i'll have to read this.

EDIT: Found a link: http://www.novelupdates.com/series/seoul-stations-necromancer/

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Lyon posted:

Chen Changsheng is by far the most moral/caring/relatable character in any of the web novels I've read.

Zhu Yao from My Disciple Died Yet Again just edges him out, I think.

I think the thing that sets ZTJ apart is that, no matter how ridiculous it gets, it never loses the sense that's there's something to the world other than level grinding. Like, in most xianxia the cultivating world is set apart from the base world. Afloat, in its own universe, where the only thing that matters is who you grovel worshipfully at the feet of and who you treat like something you scraped off your boots (and there's never any in between). In ZTJ... most of the action takes place in a city. The capital city of an empire full of ordinary people. It's a constant factor in the characters' lives. And the world is full of societies and states that these characters interact with and have stakes in.

A lot of the political/social stuff actually makes sense, too. Basically every webnovel I've seen with a political aspect has been unadulterated gibberish, or just plain infantile.

Chen Changsheng's constant insistence on "I don't care how pure your chi is, we're all human beings goddammit!" is great.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
I've been reading the machine translation of ZTJ and although it loses quite a bit of its finer details the plot remains stellar. As soon as anything seems to be "samey" or following a formula something changes it up, although it's very slow-going like the rest of the novel. sort of a spoiler but not really: CCS does eventually tell people about his illness but it's gonna be a while folks.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

owl milk posted:

sort of a spoiler but not really: CCS does eventually tell people about his illness but it's gonna be a while folks.

Gimme a chapter number.

e: A whole bunch of people have already worked it out anyway. It's just his peer group who're in the dark.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
well lnmtl has it as 623 but they have a bunch of duplicates so it's probably more like 590. actual spoiler if you care about who knows: The first person in his peer group to know is Xu Yourong, and she's told by someone other than Chen Changsheng. He only tells her in chapter 627 or something like that.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
Has anyone read Beseech the Devil? How is it compared to the other Er Gen novels?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i tried reading apocalypse summoner, and while it is predictably awful it is also hilarious in how much it reveals about the author. the usual vicious misogyny, a pathetic need for praise and respect, plus an all-consuming love for piss. seriously, the dude just won't shut up about girls peeing.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Ok i read all of Seoul Station Necromancer and that was pretty entertaining. It starts off pretty slow, and is indeed dumb and trashy but still very entertaining, especially when it gets rolling later. One of the most entertaining parts is how much of an rear end in a top hat he used to be in the other world.

Also, he starts out strong, but not as a level100 god like in Overlord. There is some definite progression going throughout the series. Also where Overlord is just about the lich and his evil as gently caress NPC's conquering the world, this is way more about him regaining his skills. This way he actually feels way more like a necromancer to.

So yeah overall its probably better then Overlord. Overlord has some good chapters but theres a lot of mediocre boring poo poo in the middle.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Captain_duck posted:

Ok i read all of Seoul Station Necromancer and that was pretty entertaining. It starts off pretty slow, and is indeed dumb and trashy but still very entertaining, especially when it gets rolling later. One of the most entertaining parts is how much of an rear end in a top hat he used to be in the other world.

Also, he starts out strong, but not as a level100 god like in Overlord. There is some definite progression going throughout the series. Also where Overlord is just about the lich and his evil as gently caress NPC's conquering the world, this is way more about him regaining his skills. This way he actually feels way more like a necromancer to.

So yeah overall its probably better then Overlord. Overlord has some good chapters but theres a lot of mediocre boring poo poo in the middle.

I like how 90% of the protagonists abilities are straight up lifted from the Diablo 2 necromancer class. Clearly the most unrealistic part of the novel is actually that he barely ever uses Corpse Explosion.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, in hail to the king the protagonist wakes up in a dangerous fantasy world, his only advantage that he can play diablo. yeah, he straight up plays diablo and carries stuff over from his gaming sessions to the fantasy world.

it was too ridiculous for me to handle.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

This started off really bad but actually ended up becoming quite competent. At first it seemed like it was just going to be a D&D wizard amazing and owning everyone in the Harry Potter universe, but it actually ends up having a coherent story.

Yeah, it was pretty decent! The author has a good grip on setting up comedy situations, and knows when to keep a gag running and when to kill it off. Unfortunately, they seem to have lost interest midway through the story and wandered off (no updates in two years).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bobulus posted:

Yeah, it was pretty decent! The author has a good grip on setting up comedy situations, and knows when to keep a gag running and when to kill it off. Unfortunately, they seem to have lost interest midway through the story and wandered off (no updates in two years).

Yeah, that's one of the things I noticed - a lot of the comedy is pretty good, and that's despite me knowing almost nothing about D&D aside from playing Neverwinter Nights as a teenager. The conflicts are also thought out pretty well, and it avoids the "protagonist is the only character with agency" thing you tend to see a lot in web novels (Harry Potter actually still behaves like a protagonist, despite not technically being the protagonist in the story).

I'm not surprised the author stopped at some point; it's clear he was in college when he started writing it and it's easy to get distracted by life during that time period.

I feel really funny praising a D&D Harry Potter crossover fanfiction. I think part of it is that I'm so used to trying to read trashy Japanese web novels that something written by a competent native English speaker seems really good by comparison.

edit: The whole "bizarre D&D character begins to think like a Real Human" subplot is also done pretty well

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 3, 2017

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I read it. It is legitimately funny. I actually didn't enjoy reading Harry Potter (the actual books), but oddly enough, I loved this fan fiction.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
If we're recommending out comedic Harry Potter fanfiction, there's always Make a Wish. It's the same joke 100 times in a row, but it never gets old.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Tsubasa2004 posted:

This was a real timely recommendation, as I'd come in here to ask if there was any fiction where someone from a world of real magic got sent to a world that also had real magic but all the magic followed a totally different ruleset, and I would have used LOTR+Harry Potter as a hypothetical example. It helps that this is actually turning out to be readable and kinda funny rather than insufferable, despite me knowing nothing about D&D other than what I've seen in Community and Harmonquest.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I liked it too, especially the parts with the mundane policewoman against the magical world. Shame that it was abandoned during what seemed like the last book.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

7c Nickel posted:

I remember a one shot by the Hinamatsuri guy being kind of in that vein.
The Life of Mitamura Sakurako (Alias)
This was also good.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Jackard posted:

I liked it too, especially the parts with the mundane policewoman against the magical world. Shame that it was abandoned during what seemed like the last book.

i have some bad or possible good news, if you like surprisingly well written fanfiction (much of which is dropped midway through) there's a lot of it, though i'll just drop two of the best written

Victory at Ostagar was the last fanfiction done by the author before transitioning to published short fiction (though she unfortunately died of cancer in 2015) and makes a convoluted but enjoyable political soap opera out of dragon age, and most unusually actually ends after five volumes

Lelouch of Britannia was written by somebody who read a stupendous amount of books published by Tor and does a great job of writing milfiction out of it. Afaik he never transitioned to published original work but it's better written than season 3 of code geass will be so there's that! Also note that it was written over seven years and then dropped in the middle in 2014

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I don't usually read fanfiction but that Harry Potter one was actually kind of fun, clashing and incompatible magic systems is always an interesting premise so thanks for the recommendation! It kind of unravels a bit at the end and then gets abandoned which is unfortunate, but fun to read up to that point.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Jackard posted:

I just finished it and by the end I was more invested in the policewoman unravelling the mysteries of the magic world and now I'm mad it was abandoned; someone please feed me stories about normal people sleuthing out the existence of magic/aliens/whatever despite a shadowy cabal of memory erasers repeatedly getting them. Web novel or not I don't care anymore.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that sounds like about 80% of pre-twilight vampire fiction

Absum
May 28, 2013

I stumbled across this and just had to post it somewhere so here you go: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7269275/1/Fate-Team-Fortress

e: it shortens the link but it's a Fate/Team Fortress short

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Absum posted:

I stumbled across this and just had to post it somewhere so here you go: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7269275/1/Fate-Team-Fortress

e: it shortens the link but it's a Fate/Team Fortress short

That was much funnier than it has any right to be.

It's short, very quick read.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality is another very readable english Harry Potter fanfic that also happens to be complete.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Shukaro posted:

Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality is another very readable english Harry Potter fanfic that also happens to be complete.

While good in some ways, it is also bad in some ways. For example, Harry Potter is near wuxia protagonist level of rear end in a top hat, minus the wanton killing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I remember Methods of Rationality.

I remember getting to like the second chapter where Harry starts lecturing Hermione's parents about how they're such awful people and then 180ing out of there.

Also I can't believe this thread has hit a new low and started discussing fanfiction. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

Also I can't believe this thread has hit a new low and started discussing fanfiction. :v:

We call ourselves the web novel thread, we're really the trashy writing for nerds thread.