Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Triss better. She got freckles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kiera best. She just wants money :homebrew:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Omnicarus posted:

Yen better. She got black hair.

Omnicarus posted:

Yen better. She got black hair.

I like both of these things. WHAT THE gently caress AM I GUNNA DO...

Oh, that's right I can date both of them and that'll fix that problem :stonklol:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Digirat posted:

Except for the part where she does literally the opposite of what you're describing on skellige and personally shoulders the blame when the priestesses are pissed about the whole necromancy thing

Not reading that because I've not gotten that far yet, but good to hear. I only got vague mentions of Yen's story arc from a friend.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shani best. Too good for Geralt.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I kind of wonder how much playtime I've shaved off with the 'all objectives on map' mood meaning I can quest efficiently instead of mashing through my quest list every time or constantly going back and forth between quest givers.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Shani best. Too good for Geralt.

:agreed:

It really bugged me at the start of Witcher 2 where they just ignored the right and correct choice of sticking with Shani in the first game. It was cool she comes back in Heart of Stone even if it is just for one last fun adventure with Geralt before heading off to be the best somewhere else.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

It really bugged me at the start of Witcher 2 where they just ignored the right and correct choice of sticking with Shani in the first game. It was cool she comes back in Heart of Stone even if it is just for one last fun adventure with Geralt before heading off to be the best somewhere else.

FWIW Shani ends up living happily every after to the age of 100ish and leaves a legacy of being one of the the most cherished and respected doctors/instructors at Oxenfurt.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Omnicarus posted:

FWIW Shani ends up living happily every after to the age of 100ish and leaves a legacy of being one of the the most cherished and respected doctors/instructors at Oxenfurt.

Well deserved :hai:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Digirat posted:

Except for the part where she does literally the opposite of what you're describing on skellige and personally shoulders the blame when the priestesses are pissed about the whole necromancy thing

At best she just doesn't want to take Geralt down with her. She's completely unapologetic about doing what she did even when you point out to her what's going to happen. She has 0 other ways out, so yeah she took responsibility when she was literally caught in the act.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
As she should be. It's a corpse and a favourable micro climate.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Jerusalem posted:

Not quite true, if you imported a W1 save then it says in the W2 character glossary the relationship didn't work out after a few months. Given what happened to the bloody baron or the book of Dunn Tynne by Le Papillion, their amicable breakup was much better than the average long term relationship in peasant misery land.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Triss is a great girlfriend, Yen is a great wife, Shani would be great at either but you like her more than she li,es you, sorry :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Delacroix posted:

Not quite true, if you imported a W1 save then it says in the W2 character glossary the relationship didn't work out after a few months. Given what happened to the bloody baron or the book of Dunn Tynne by Le Papillion, their amicable breakup was much better than the average long term relationship in peasant misery land.

Yeah I imported my save, was confused why Triss was there, looked up the character thing and was rather irritated at the explanation. I didn't mind the thing about them breaking it off, but I was irritated by just being thrown back together with Triss after the pretty blatant lying and manipulation she had been up to (which she admits to freely in Witcher 3).

But then Yen came back and she's the right one for Geralt anyway, so it's a moot point v:shobon:v

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
In W3 (not counting the earlier games and books) Triss is the "easy" comfortable option, Yen is difficult, and Shani is just too good for Geralt.

Triss is a creepy stalker Geralt fangirl who lies to him during his amnesia to be with him. He vaguely remembers loving a sorceress (actually Yen), but Triss tells him it's her. If you just base your impressions on W3 you don't get any of that and she's basically a sweetheart romance where everything is nice and cuddly. W3 Triss is in many ways the total opposite of Geralt.

Yen is an abrasive, ice-cold bitch who is both incredibly ruthless (when her friends or family are threatened) and competent. But she totally "gets" Geralt, they're mirror images. I'm personally a Yen fan because it matches what I look for in a relationship: someone who understands me on a fundamental level and constantly challenges me to improve.

Shani has her own life and knows things could never work out between her and Geralt, but it's fun while it lasted. She's amazing but she's not going to give up pursuing her career and passion to get serious with Geralt.

There's a reason Triss vs. Yen is one of the most commonly debated topics in this thread and it's that the romances are really good and authentic-feeling.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pellisworth posted:

There's a reason Triss vs. Yen is one of the most commonly debated topics in this thread and it's that the romances are really good and authentic-feeling.

This really is the biggest thing. They have history together, and it adds so much to the relationships in the game. It's not just a three lines and then "we'll bang, okay?" situation.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

This really is the biggest thing. They have history together, and it adds so much to the relationships in the game. It's not just a three lines and then "we'll bang, okay?" situation.

I really enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins, but "Mock party member about her dead mother, then give her a diamond so she'll bang you" was pretty hilariously terrible.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

As she should be. It's a corpse and a favourable micro climate.

She desecrates a holy site to use forbidden magic. I realize she says what you mention to brush off the beliefs of the locals, but she also uses the magical energy of the place to fuel her necromancy. There had to be at least some magical significance to the place or you could take the body anywhere else to do the same thing without loving up a place the locals revere.

E: to not get lost in the minutiae it's more about her flippant attitude about the whole thing that makes her less likeable for me

Ugato fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 4, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Shani was super naggy and jumped straight into playing house with Geralt and Alvin in Act 4, what are you people on about.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
FWIW the way I see it, this is the story of Geralt, and for one reason or another he chose Yennefer, and it's not my job to second guess him. :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Well, he chose Yen, then unchose her, and then chose her again, and then unchose her - their entire relationship was tumultuous and rocky given any longer term period. Again, they'd be good in the moment, but after a year or two they'd just break up again. Triss seems the most stable and consistent, and even positive influence.

Shani, of course, is just too good for Geralt so she's not a part of this conversation.

sebmojo posted:

Triss is a great girlfriend, Yen is a great wife,

And what, exactly, is the differentiation between those two titles in your mind?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 4, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Drifter posted:

And what, exactly, is the differentiation between those two titles in your mind?

You take Yen to the Copa on Saturday night, and Triss on the Friday. DUH!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Drifter posted:

Well, he chose Yen, then unchose her, and then chose her again, and then unchose her - their entire relationship was tumultuous and rocky given any longer term period. Again, they'd be good in the moment, but after a year or two they'd just break up again. Triss seems the most stable and consistent, and even positive influence.

Actually seems like a pretty good deal for two people, one of whom is an emotionally severe recluse / travelling monk, the other an equally detached career schemer who spends most of her time in the shadows.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Fuzz posted:

Shani was super naggy and jumped straight into playing house with Geralt and Alvin in Act 4, what are you people on about.

Didn't this play out more or less similarly for Triss? The plot seemed to demand Geralt become a father figure to Alvin and I guess nobody could figure out how to do that convincingly within the five minutes you spend with the kid.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Drifter posted:

One is like triss, the other is like yen

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

sebmojo posted:

One is like triss, the other is like yen

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I've held off on finishing Blood and Wine because no more Witcher. However, I haven't played 1 or 2, and I picked up 2 on steam recently for like 3 bucks. Is 2 pretty good, if you like Witchery stuff? I'm going to finish B&W this weekend, be nice to know I have more stuff to look forward to. I don't even care if the game is clunkier or whatever. I actually started watching the lovely Witcher show on youtube and enjoyed it just because it's The Witcher.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

steinrokkan posted:

FWIW the way I see it, this is the story of Geralt, and for one reason or another he chose Yennefer, and it's not my job to second guess him. :colbert:

That is indeed the way the game is written

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I've held off on finishing Blood and Wine because no more Witcher. However, I haven't played 1 or 2, and I picked up 2 on steam recently for like 3 bucks. Is 2 pretty good, if you like Witchery stuff? I'm going to finish B&W this weekend, be nice to know I have more stuff to look forward to. I don't even care if the game is clunkier or whatever. I actually started watching the lovely Witcher show on youtube and enjoyed it just because it's The Witcher.

2 is really great. The combat's gonna be kinda of different, but it's really an excellent game.

You're going to want to either play it twice, or create a save game right before it branches into an entirely new story. I forget where off the top of my head, it's basically chapter 2 where you either go with Roche, or go with the Elf dude who is also cool but I forget his name.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

2 is really good. It's nowhere near as good as 3 but few games are.

To be fair I haven't played it since I finished my playthrough back when it came out so maybe it hasn't aged that well but I absolutely loved it when it came out.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Ugato posted:

She desecrates a holy site to use forbidden magic. I realize she says what you mention to brush off the beliefs of the locals, but she also uses the magical energy of the place to fuel her necromancy. There had to be at least some magical significance to the place or you could take the body anywhere else to do the same thing without loving up a place the locals revere.

E: to not get lost in the minutiae it's more about her flippant attitude about the whole thing that makes her less likeable for me

Stop a potential threat to your "daughter" and potentially the world or protect a holy site after people you speak to refuse to listen to what is going on, yeah I'd be flippant as well. Remember, she told them what she intended to do and why first

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

2 is really good. It's nowhere near as good as 3 but few games are.

To be fair I haven't played it since I finished my playthrough back when it came out so maybe it hasn't aged that well but I absolutely loved it when it came out.

I don't mind if it looks uglier. In fact I kind of hope so, because my PC isn't that great(played 3 on ps4), my GPU is a 730gt so I'm hoping it runs 2 but I think it should be okay.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

2 is tonally very different from 1 and 3, but it has a great atmosphere. It essentially works as an extended prologue to the global events of 3, showing how the war with Nilfgaard was manipulated through a huge web of deception. There is a ridiculously complicated power play between so many different groups who each think they are in control of the situation, when in reality nobody is, and it all spirals out of control into an utter shitshow of backstabbing and open warfare. It's great. And in the middle of it all, not really caring what the gently caress happens to everyone else, is Geralt, trying to save his friends, his neck, and recover his memories.

One thing you should be aware of is that the game has quicktime events, but no hint that there actually are any in the game. They just sort of show up, and absolutely will ruin your day the first few times you play.

When I say the game is tonally different, I mean that it really ramps up the fairy tale aspects of the Witcher moreso than the other games. The first and third games are surprisingly grounded despite having so many fantastical elements flying around willy nilly. The second game has this eerie atmosphere about it, like you are always on the edge of something vast. The forest outside Flotsam is an old growth prehistoric forest taken to the extreme. There is a battlefield that looks more like a world war 1 bloodbath than a medieval battleground due to out of control magic. You visit an ancient city built by lizard people from the dawn of time. There are so many weird places in the game, and it hits on one aspect of the Witcher that doesn't get explored enough. Humans are still the newest species on the continent, and they are still encroaching on lands untouched for centuries. Witcher 1 and 3 are set in the lands they have settled long ago, while Witcher 2 is on the frontier borders of human influence, and the squirrels living there don't take kindly to their rear end in a top hat neighbours.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Man now I wanna play Witcher 2 again myself.... :allears:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ugato posted:

The magical significance was that there was a lot of magic there to use and they needed a lot.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

2 is tonally very different from 1 and 3, but it has a great atmosphere. It essentially works as an extended prologue to the global events of 3, showing how the war with Nilfgaard was manipulated through a huge web of deception. There is a ridiculously complicated power play between so many different groups who each think they are in control of the situation, when in reality nobody is, and it all spirals out of control into an utter shitshow of backstabbing and open warfare. It's great. And in the middle of it all, not really caring what the gently caress happens to everyone else, is Geralt, trying to save his friends, his neck, and recover his memories.

One thing you should be aware of is that the game has quicktime events, but no hint that there actually are any in the game. They just sort of show up, and absolutely will ruin your day the first few times you play.

When I say the game is tonally different, I mean that it really ramps up the fairy tale aspects of the Witcher moreso than the other games. The first and third games are surprisingly grounded despite having so many fantastical elements flying around willy nilly. The second game has this eerie atmosphere about it, like you are always on the edge of something vast. The forest outside Flotsam is an old growth prehistoric forest taken to the extreme. There is a battlefield that looks more like a world war 1 bloodbath than a medieval battleground due to out of control magic. You visit an ancient city built by lizard people from the dawn of time. There are so many weird places in the game, and it hits on one aspect of the Witcher that doesn't get explored enough. Humans are still the newest species on the continent, and they are still encroaching on lands untouched for centuries. Witcher 1 and 3 are set in the lands they have settled long ago, while Witcher 2 is on the frontier borders of human influence, and the squirrels living there don't take kindly to their rear end in a top hat neighbours.

I'm not sure how I feel about QTE's, but the rest of that sounds really cool. Would you say Witcher 2 is more "RPG-y" than 3? Or about the same mix of action-rpg?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The magical significance was that there was a lot of magic there to use and they needed a lot.

Well, that seems like it might affect things negatively, then, doesn't it?

And the fact that there is significant magic there makes it seem like she's making poo poo up when she says that it's simply a favorable micro-climate. Or, even if she were initially correct and the magical nature is something that was cultivated later, there's still obviously a real significance to the place.

WirelessPillow posted:

Stop a potential threat to your "daughter" and potentially the world or protect a holy site after people you speak to refuse to listen to what is going on, yeah I'd be flippant as well. Remember, she told them what she intended to do and why first

Yes. Again, I'm not trying to get lost in the details because there are plenty of very good reasons to do what she did. Yen just doesn't want anyone to question her and says whatever she feels like will get her to her goal the fastest. Plus she's just an rear end in a top hat doing it.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jan 4, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I'm sure it's actually because a snake god bit another god's basket and not just that the garden is both a favourable micro climate and heavy with magic.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Actually I think Witcher 2's plot might be the strongest and the most in line with the books. Salamandra is a lame villain in 1, Eredin isn't all that compelling in 3 either and the White Frost is not even half-assed. Ciri is a fun character and all but the monarch-slaying intrigue of 2 is just the right level of stakes for Geralt. I mean he's not exactly an anti-hero but saving the world from fairly generic Bad poo poo and riding into the sunset is a bit cliche.

Of course there's always room for Wild Hunt DLC where you work your way up the ranks as a rider and watch Eredin's plan unfold from his perspective. Or play as Letho and Yen. I'm full of ideas here, go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Get the Combat Rebalance Mod that CDPR made a couple years after it was released... The basic combat is weird and punishingly difficult, the mod basically turns it into something a lot more like Witcher 3 with stuff like Active Quen and similar sign bonuses.

Though one thing I will say, everyone should experience a plain Witcher 2 mage run because Heliotrope (removed in the mod for a different style bonus that's similar but not as flashy) needs to be experienced since it's insanely badass to watch, even if it essentially trivializes the entire game.