Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Deleter posted:

They've left spots open for Kiriya, so I'm gonna hazard a guess and say he gets revived in movies and they throw some forms his way.

I doubt that too. The diagram also has slots for Level 10 for Brave and Snipe, when we know their next forms are Level 50s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Let a guy dream, can't you? :(

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

So having rewatched the finale for UltraSeven for the first time in a while, I forget how really goddamn good it is.

Ultraseven does have one of the better finales of the Showa era yes (I kind of liked Taro's ending too despite not caring much for the series itself).

Though besides Ultraseven my favorite Ultra series of that era is ironically the Jonias anime as, while the animation quality is kind of crappy even for the time, I liked the characters and it does some interesting things with the franchise's core concepts (it's also one of the few Ultra shows of that era that actually has something of an over-arcing plot throughout), I hope it gets subbed in some fashion one day. Though out of curiousity, why did Tsuburaya decide to go animated for one season but then never did anything like that again?

Finally, was there some kind of movie or special that retconned the ending of the original Ultraman? As there Hayata is unbonded with Ultraman and loses all memory of ever meeting him yet in all subsequent series' he appears in his powers are once again intact. I'm just curious as Taro's host gave up his power and he's never been shown in a human form since then so why isn't this the case with the original (though I suppose in those he could just be taking on a human form that looked like his original host but that then leaves the question of why Taro has never done the same)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 30, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Ultraseven does have one of the better finales of the Showa era yes (I kind of liked Taro's ending too despite not caring much for the series itself).

Though besides Ultraseven my favorite Ultra series of that era is ironically the Jonias anime as, while the animation quality is kind of crappy even for the time, I liked the characters and it does some interesting things with the franchise's core concepts (it's also one of the few Ultra shows of that era that actually has something of an over-arcing plot throughout), I hope it gets subbed in some fashion one day. Though out of curiousity, why did Tsuburaya decide to go animated for one season but then never did anything like that again?

Finally, was there some kind of movie or special that retconned the ending of the original Ultraman? As there Hayata is unbonded with Ultraman and loses all memory of ever meeting him yet in all subsequent series' he appears in his powers are once again intact. I'm just curious as Taro's host gave up his power and he's never been shown in a human form since then so why isn't this the case with the original (though I suppose in those he could just be taking on a human form that looked like his original host but that then leaves the question of why Taro has never done the same)?

It varies from time to time. Usually, Ultraman is just taking a human form like Hayata. In some fiction, like the Ultraman power armor manga, Ultraman never actually returned, and Hayata himself went on to be a hero.

With Taro, mostly because the actor has been busy. He was meant to reprise the role in Mebius, but was busy attending a funeral, and they've largely decided to respect Taro's human self moving on from needing to be an Ultraman. Though they do use the original actor's grunts for Taro whenever they can.

I had actually initially believed that it was a situation like with Shaider, where the original actor had passed away, but thankfully that is not the case.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That makes sense, and it would also explain why in some later shows/movies Hayata is shown in the Land of Light despite being a host body rather than just the Ultra in human form (I suppose the same could be said for Ace as well).

Also, I doubt this'll happen but it might be neat one day to see a Toei/Tsuburaya collaboration for a future SHT movie (or some other related project) and have some Ultraman involvement alongside Kamen Rider and/or Sentai (the latter would probably make a bit more sense since, while some can go human-sized on occasion, most Ultra fights are exclusively in giant mode).

Honestly, aside from a brief teamup with the original Kamen Rider and Ultraman a long time ago (that consisted mainly of recycled voice clips and was only a few minutes long) and Taro making a cameo in that anime they made about the Imagin from Den-O, I'm kind of surprised this hasn't been done yet seeing as Bandai handles the toys for both companies' franchises.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 30, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/TokuNation/status/815602050868256768

This is probably the first design from the movie that I haven't immediately hated. This is actually pretty alright, I think.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/TokuNation/status/815602050868256768

This is probably the first design from the movie that I haven't immediately hated. This is actually pretty alright, I think.

The rebar is a good touch, yeah.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So that's unpainted right? they're going to paint it later?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

So that's unpainted right? they're going to paint it later?

It's probably the dirt cheap action figure version. No paint required

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's just, the rebar is a really good idea

And it's so easy to miss because it just vanishes in a sea of gray

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
At least it's not "left in the oven" aesthetic.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
gold dude with no paint and now grey dude with no paint hell yeah this movie is gonna be great

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
maybe they saved all the paint to cover up rita's hideous costume

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

maybe they saved all the paint to cover up rita's hideous costume
:drat:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

According to a former Bandai executive, the Power Rangers team at Bandai America actually had some input in the conceptual stages of Kyuranger. They mostly provided input on the mecha/toyetic elements and some imput on how to help the costumes appeal to foreign markets.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shout Factory will be releasing Carranger on DVD as of April 25th. Here's the cover:

As Carranger is one of my favorite Sentai shows, this pleases me (which is kind of ironic seeing as Turbo was about the point I started to lose interest in Power Rangers as a kid).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 6, 2017

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Larryb posted:

Shout Factory will be releasing Carranger on DVD as of April 25th.

Just four more seasons after this and we get Timeranger!

It's honestly a toss up of whether or not this will occur prior to Over-Time finishing subbing Timeranger.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Waffleman_ posted:

According to a former Bandai executive, the Power Rangers team at Bandai America actually had some input in the conceptual stages of Kyuranger. They mostly provided input on the mecha/toyetic elements and some imput on how to help the costumes appeal to foreign markets.

Potentially concerning.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uh, not really? it isn't like they are writing it, and the designs we've seen so far are amazing. well, not that pink robot thing. that thing freaks me out.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

yeah I doubt Bandai America gives a poo poo about what's going on in the show itself, just what the toys look like. also could be false, but someone on twitter said BoA has had their say at the conceptual stage for a while

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Larryb posted:

Shout Factory will be releasing Carranger on DVD as of April 25th. Here's the cover:

As Carranger is one of my favorite Sentai shows, this pleases me (which is kind of ironic seeing as Turbo was about the point I started to lose interest in Power Rangers as a kid).

Oh hell yes now to see if it's the Haro subs

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Larryb posted:

YESSSSSSS!

Man...I really hope they start going back to pre-Zyu soon...

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

jivjov posted:

YESSSSSSS!

Man...I really hope they start going back to pre-Zyu soon...

the odds of this are slim i would imagine

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Carranger itself seemed highly unlikely
What with the series itself being so bizarre and the adaptation being disliked.

Just fine with me if they don't do pre zyu, it would make it harder to watch them through the Internet. I just watched the killer faucet on jetman and it was so magical.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I wonder how well they're selling but we're on the 5th release. But they could've planned to do up to Megaranger for the max nostalgia then stop. I'd like pre-zyu as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RBX posted:

I wonder how well they're selling but we're on the 5th release. But they could've planned to do up to Megaranger for the max nostalgia then stop. I'd like pre-zyu as well.

Yeah, the real test will be seeing if this continues past Megaranger (and maybe Gingaman seeing as Lost Galaxy kind of served as an epilouge to the Zordon era of Power Rangers in some ways). If they do keep going though, I wonder if that means we'll get Go-Busters and ToQger sets eventually or if they'll just stick to what was adapted into Power Rangers.

Off the subject I finally finished my Ultra series watch yesterday. Mebius, Nexus, Orb and X are definitely in my top 4 (honestly Nexus' ending didn't bother me as much as I was expecting, though I wish they'd at least let Nagi put up a fight before screwing her over. Fortunatly we did later get a proper female Nexus in Ultraman X). Honestly my only problem with X and Orb is that they really needed to be longer. I also ended up liking the Ultra Galaxy series a lot more than I was expeting to.

As for the earlier stuff, I don't remember if it counts as late Showa or very early Heisei but despite hating the art style and thinking the animation was kind of crappy even for the time I actually thought the Jonias anime was a really good series and hope it eventually gets subbed one day. Ultraseven was also really good (and to a lesser extent so was Ultraseven X even though it gave me Faiz flashbacks at times, though then again so did Nexus).

Leo and 80 were ok but they kind of lost their focus twords the end (I still don't understand why they not only dropped the teacher aspect of 80 early on in favor of turning it into another cookie-cutter Ultra show but we never see any of those characters again, not even for a final goodbye at the end. At least Mebius fixed this a bit during it's tribute episode).

Finally as for Ultraman Ginga I'll just say this: Don't watch Ginga. Instead, just look up a wikipedia article or something to get yourself up to speed and then jumps straight into Ginga S, you'll probably have a much better experience with it.

As for the other shows:

Ultra Q, Dark Fantasy & Neo Ultra Q: It's The Twilight Zone with more monsters and a few reoccuring characters, decent enough.

Ultraman: Pretty good for it's time but I'm kind of surprised at how short it was compared to Sentai and Kamen Rider's first outings.

The Return of Ultraman: This show...exists. Not terrible but nothing really that memorable about it either.

Ultraman Ace: Decent concept (in fact it technically does the 2-in-one hero thing before W did). Not to mention the first Ultra series to have something of a major villian.

Ultraman Taro: Had it's moments but overall ranged from boring to terrible. I did like the ending though.

The Western Ultra shows: Hanna Barbera's attempt was honestly really good and if it weren't for the lack of a real toyline probably could have made a decent series. The other two were simply ok at best.

Ultraman Tiga: Decent enough, I like how they started fleshing out the individual team members a bit more as during the Showa era most of them tended to blend together for me after a while.

Ultraman Dyna: Better than Tiga in pretty much every aspect. This is another one that I hope gets fully subbed one day.

Ultraman Gaia: Did some weird things with it's characters but I liked it well enough. It was neat to see some Ultras that actually originated from Earth for a change.

Ultraman Neos: See Return of Ultraman.

Ultraman Cosmos: Not a great series overall but I did like some of the characters and the Ultraman Justice movie was pretty good.

Ultraman Max: Very episodic but I really liked the characters so that made it a bit more bearable.

The Ultraman Zero films & specials: All very good (though Ultraman Saga seems weirdly disconnected from the rest) and I really liked Zero himself. Honestly I wouldn't mind him getting a proper series one day.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 7, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Hypothetically, assuming Shout! wants to release Sentai sets for everything going forward, I wonder how close to current they'd be allowed to go.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Please give me Dekaranger.

Please rescue us from TV Nihon hell, but don't like, steal any other subs to do it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Please give me Dekaranger.

Please rescue us from TV Nihon hell, but don't like, steal any other subs to do it.

Didn't Overtime resub Dekaranger recently? Or has that not been finished yet?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They're about 10 or so episodes into Deka. It's something they're doing in their spare time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If Shinkenger is any indication, we should see Dekaranger done in about three years.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

considering their rate is two releases a year, it'd be quite a while before Shout! got close to current day releases

theoretically Go-busters would come out in... 2025

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Wouldn't pre-Zyu sentai be easier to license? Or is this one of those counterintuitive copyright things.

I can only hope for Sun Vulcan

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm sitting at the Alamo Drafthouse about to watch an Ultraman Double Feature.

The preshow also has been worth the price of admission, we've gotten the Gorenger OP and ED, a bunch of Rider and Ultra stuff, and some toku instant noodle commercials.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mister Olympus posted:

Wouldn't pre-Zyu sentai be easier to license? Or is this one of those counterintuitive copyright things.

I can only hope for Sun Vulcan

they are the sole distributor of sentai in the US, period, as of now

whether or not they released pre-zyu would be entirely based on if they thought it would be worth it financially

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Ultraman X: the movie was presented dubbed. The fight scenes were cool, but the dub job just sucked the fun right out of it.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

jivjov posted:

Ultraman X: the movie was presented dubbed. The fight scenes were cool, but the dub job just sucked the fun right out of it.

Ah, thanks, I was thinking about going (they're showing it tomorrow here at my alamo locations) but dubs loving ruin it for me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Ginga S's dub was even worse. The sole redeeming factor of that one was Yellow Buster playing the alien princess

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It's good to know Azald being a cubeman actually turned out to be a plot point.

Even if, like a lot of other plot points, they did nothing with it until the end of the series. Which isn't knocking Zyohger, I think it's good, just a shame that they didn't do much interesting until the last stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's good to know Azald being a cubeman actually turned out to be a plot point.

Even if, like a lot of other plot points, they did nothing with it until the end of the series. Which isn't knocking Zyohger, I think it's good, just a shame that they didn't do much interesting until the last stretch.

to be fair they've hinted for awhile something is weird with Azald. But Zyuogher definitely played the long game since all this stuff is happening in the last few instead of starting around like 35. It's a strange way to do it because it's not like the middle episodes weren't enjoyable, they just didn't advance the overarching plots much. The only major issue with the Azald reveal is that it makes it difficult to explain how he got his Blood Game team built up. I guess it's possible that Genis supplies the teams and there's like a draft, instead of what I thought was happening where the Captains recruit for themselves and then present the team to Genis.

That's a question that literally doesn't matter to the story but it's something interesting.

• Locked thread