Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rhaka posted:

Guys do you think this is canon

Not yet, but show it to Abaddon quickly enough and it just might be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

That's some random rear end red demon, so idunno what you are talking about

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
Holy poo poo it's a :siren:new page!:siren:

Aww, no more little Mathangi :(

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Well, I guess now we know how Maya got all her scars! :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Begemot posted:

Battle's fine, but the shaving? Yeah, that'll get you.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
So is there a long tradition of war aunties? Like the bene gesserit but way less smooth about substance abuse?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Looks like Juggernaut got in a parting shot, Maya's victory wasn't as clean as it seemed. Those scars on her chest look like his work.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

JT Jag posted:

Looks like Juggernaut got in a parting shot, Maya's victory wasn't as clean as it seemed. Those scars on her chest look like his work.

Well, I mean, he did explode.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i imagine waking up on the ground completely beat to poo poo with a couple randos asking if shes dead or not is, like, just another Tuesday for Maya

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schwarzwald posted:

Well, I mean, he did explode.

Yeah, those scars on her chest look old. Juggs didn't do that.

paranoid randroid posted:

i imagine waking up on the ground completely beat to poo poo with a couple randos asking if shes dead or not is, like, just another Tuesday for Maya

I dunno, she seems a bit too badass for the "beat to poo poo" part to be regular, at least. Waking up on the ground with people wondering if you're dead (or perhaps just drunk or something), though...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Epic swordfights and drinking benders tend to end up the same way for her, and in fact often blend together.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Roland Jones posted:

I dunno, she seems a bit too badass for the "beat to poo poo" part to be regular, at least. Waking up on the ground with people wondering if you're dead (or perhaps just drunk or something), though...
My suspicion is that the outcome is typical, what's changed as she got more badass is the scale of who the other guy was.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the sanctioned words are "yeah but you shoulda seen the other guy"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

the sanctioned words are "yeah but you shoulda seen the other guy"
Young Maya: "I knocked out a few of his teeth and cut off his hand."
Maya now: "He exploded."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
she's surrounded by tea cups. eat it, 7 juggernaut star scours the universe! blindsided by crockery who then outlive you!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Oh my god I didn't notice before you said it, that's amazing.

This really is the best comic.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Begemot posted:

I all seriousness we did probably learn where that big nasty scarred patch on the side of her head came from.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I mean, you could look a lot worse coming out of a nuclear fusion explosion.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Happy Underpants posted:

So is there a long tradition of war aunties? Like the bene gesserit but way less smooth about substance abuse?

No, I think those are legit her nieces. Family tradition is to either "marry young, grow old, fat, and happy, and have many large and healthy children" or become a bitter murder hobo. So while Maya chose the latter, I presume she had brothers and sisters who made the former choice.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
It's just a way of respectfully addressing older women whether they're related or not. I really doubt she's actually related to these two random bystanders but who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

maya is hundreds or thousands of years old as far as I can tell so probably not

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Easily the third worst hangover she's had.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Maya looks like she is once again regretting her decision to ever pick up a blade.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

ZeroCount posted:

maya is hundreds or thousands of years old as far as I can tell so probably not

That'd raise the chance of her being their great-great-great-etc... auntie.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

the future is WOW posted:

It's just a way of respectfully addressing older women whether they're related or not. I really doubt she's actually related to these two random bystanders but who knows, maybe I'm wrong.
You're probably right.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I always assumed that Maya was actually related to Meti, but the fact that "auntie" is being used so commonly makes me realize that they probably just lived in the same town.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

There's a lot of east Asian cultures where it's common refer to older women you are familiar with as "auntie". "Obasan" in Japanese, for instance, is a common way to refer to older women who aren't literally your parent's sister.

Jormagund
Jul 17, 2005
Totally gay for Puffery
Love the eyes/expression on panels three and four, the eyes then and now and the jaded expression, '...again?'.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Discworld owns.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

living nuke blows up in her face as a parting shot and the best he manages is a black eye

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 5, 2017

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

living nuke blows up in her face as a parting shot and the best he manages is a black eye
And that's probably from the fall.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Nah, a teacup just hit her in the face after she landed.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Mr. Lobe posted:

There's a lot of east Asian cultures where it's common refer to older women you are familiar with as "auntie". "Obasan" in Japanese, for instance, is a common way to refer to older women who aren't literally your parent's sister.

Not just Asian cultures. As kids we (American Scandinavians) were encouraged to refer to adult friends of our parents who we saw often as aunt and uncle.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

Not just Asian cultures. As kids we (American Scandinavians) were encouraged to refer to adult friends of our parents who we saw often as aunt and uncle.
I'm familiar with the idea of kids referring to older friends of the family as aunt or uncle, but I think that referring to older strangers as such is largely an Asian thing.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Yeah, that might have been a thing in the past, but I'm fairly sure it's not done anywhere here in Norway, at least not these days. Can't speak for Denmark or Sweden, though.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
water, water water water

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

ThaumPenguin posted:

Yeah, that might have been a thing in the past, but I'm fairly sure it's not done anywhere here in Norway, at least not these days. Can't speak for Denmark or Sweden, though.

I think it's done with increasing frequency in the US, though. Feel like that's a common thing for friends of millennial parents.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

JT Jag posted:

I'm familiar with the idea of kids referring to older friends of the family as aunt or uncle, but I think that referring to older strangers as such is largely an Asian thing.

It is old-fashioned in some parts of Eastern Europe, but everybody would understand it. The shift to calling everybody Mr. Mrs. has been only in the past century ( you would not call just anybody Mister).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Ugh, now I want like a whole side comic on crusty old Auntie Meti, and her naked adventures in a barrel, dispensing Yoda like grumpy wisdom that nobody ever listens too. Harrumph!