Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I liked the system in ME1 because you could make other people's guns explode by sabotaging the heat sink. Playing with tech powers was fun in the first game, and Tech based enemies could actually be threatening by disabling your own guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DarkHorse posted:

Generally I agree, but why not keep that central heatsink? Why not keep the capability to fire without clips, just at a greatly reduced rate?

You can enable this via some ini file hacking. It makes the game as easy as you'd think.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

I liked the system in ME1 because you could make other people's guns explode by sabotaging the heat sink. Playing with tech powers was fun in the first game, and Tech based enemies could actually be threatening by disabling your own guns.

Why would you want interesting and innovative features when you could just have replaceable magazines instead?

This just in, Ryder has been given a 'Prone' button and shields have been removed from the game. Devs were quoted as saying, "We felt the need to remove infinite ammo was the first step to a better game. Stay with us as we attempt to emulate popular titles like Call of Duty and Battlefield by removing all originality."

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

nerdz posted:

completely removing weapon and armor customization and focusing on some lovely rear end human conspiracy were all bigger issues to me, personally

Same, except with the unspoken implication of all those being good things

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Arcsquad12 posted:

ME1 Tech powers were too situational for my tastes. Sure, it's fun and all at times, but when you face more enemies that don't rely entirely on regular guns, your debuffs seem much less useful than a relatively straightforward attack.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Lt. Danger posted:

Same, except with the unspoken implication of all those being good things

ME2 has more meaningful character customization than ME1 anyway, even without armor and weapon upgrades. Your choice of weapon and the tier 4 skill evolutions created more variety in gameplay and more varied builds than armor/weapon upgrades ever did. ME3 was better again.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ramadu posted:

Every planet will have had a supply ship accidentally shot down/crashed on it scattering clips to the wind?

Judging by Dragon Age Inquisitoin, Ryder will have to scan and then craft any bullets/heat sinks.

1 heat sink = combine 1 alien ore sample with an alien bug leg or whatever.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Why would you want interesting and innovative features when you could just have replaceable magazines instead?

This just in, Ryder has been given a 'Prone' button and shields have been removed from the game. Devs were quoted as saying, "We felt the need to remove infinite ammo was the first step to a better game. Stay with us as we attempt to emulate popular titles like Call of Duty and Battlefield by removing all originality."

Yes, the innovative feature of shooting from behind cover and never having to take a risk to keep taking potshots at people. Very interesting.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Yes, the innovative feature of shooting from behind cover and never having to take a risk to keep taking potshots at people. Very interesting.

perhaps the problem lies with the cover shooter mechanics then.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

nerdz posted:

perhaps the problem lies with the cover shooter mechanics then.

possible, but let's actually correctly identify the problem, instead of saying "lol ammo" over and over again.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

possible, but let's actually correctly identify the problem, instead of saying "lol ammo" over and over again.

it won't stop being a hilarious retcon though. it's like they decided hacking was too powerful in watch dogs 1 and made the guy in watchdogs 2 a computer illiterate person. Like I said, limiting the weapons by reload speed and magazine size would be a way better solution.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

nerdz posted:

it won't stop being a hilarious retcon though. it's like they decided hacking was too powerful in watch dogs 1 and made the guy in watchdogs 2 a computer illiterate person. Like I said, limiting the weapons by reload speed and magazine size would be a way better solution.

Isn't that what's been done, by way of 2 and 3? Or am I misinterpreting your statement?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
People nostalgic for the garbage combat of mass effect 1 are literally worse than the people nostalgic for thac0.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Ammo management had nothing to do with the problems of ME1 combat, though.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

Isn't that what's been done, by way of 2 and 3? Or am I misinterpreting your statement?
I'm suggesting something like overwatch and edf, where you don't have a pool of ammo and can reload indefinitely. if you have to carry huge chunks of heat difusors, might as well carry real ammo?

Mymla posted:

People nostalgic for the garbage combat of mass effect 1 are literally worse than the people nostalgic for thac0.

I'm not nostalgic by any means, they could have revamped and rebalanced combat in many ways but decided to do the laziest thing possible and backpedalled in one of the core things the mass effect technology should be able to do. at least they are moving away from standard unreal engine cover shooter combat in the new one.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

nerdz posted:

That wouldn't accomplish the gameplay goal at all, which was to make you come out of safe cover and move around every once in a while.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

nerdz posted:

I'm not nostalgic by any means, they could have revamped and rebalanced combat in many ways but decided to do the laziest thing possible and backpedalled in one of the core things the mass effect technology should be able to do. at least they are moving away from standard unreal engine cover shooter combat in the new one.

They improved the combat by an incredible amount and sacrificed nothing of value in doing so.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mymla posted:

They improved the combat by an incredible amount and sacrificed nothing of value in doing so.

But the Lore!

(The lore which said that heatsinks still cooled down and could be reused, it's just that Shepard was cycling through them too fast for that to be a relevant concern, but who cares about the details when you can bitch about improved mechanics?)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I played all three games back to back starting a few months ago, and combat in 2 and 3 is so much better than in 1. Also, not having to loving sell all those loving lame-rear end inventory items was amazing.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Drifter posted:

I played all three games back to back starting a few months ago, and combat in 2 and 3 is so much better than in 1. Also, not having to loving sell all those loving lame-rear end inventory items was amazing.

I'm doing this now, and this is incredibly true. Not only did 1's inventory management suck, but all the weapons felt exactly the same, and all the armor was hideous. Give me style over substance any day

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Not that there was a lot of substance in ME1's armor. There was more customization in ME2's armor pieces than ME1's upgrades.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Colossus armor looked ugly. And the alternative was just forest camouflage put onto space jumpsuits and looked silly.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Lycus posted:

Not that there was a lot of substance in ME1's armor. There was more customization in ME2's armor pieces than ME1's upgrades.

Same with weapons.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Drifter posted:

The change from 1 to 2 is insane back to back. Every single aspect of combat feels better. Movement, cover, weapons, powers.

ME3 wasn't quite the leap from 1-2, but it was still a nice evolution. The reaper enemies were especially fun to fight lategame when they threw everything at you. ME3 gets rightly poo poo on for the story but it's 5 years old now and the combat still holds up.

I'm playing through the series for the first time as a vanguard. In ME1 it feels similar to any other class - a bunch of powers to spam and a weapon specific power that does extra damage. Then ME2 gives you charge and completely changes how that class plays. Right off the bat you need to be super aggressive and use your shotgun, unlike ME1 when you're too fraglie to close in on most enemies. Maxed heavy charge against unshielded enemies is loving hilarious. I've never done sentinel or engineer in 2/3, but infiltrator, adept and soldier were all fun in their own way.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mass Effect 2's game feel is certainly a massive improvement, but it is still a bit too restrictive when it comes to cover. Not having a dodge button to move quickly from cover to cover or dive out of the way is rough. The lack of grenades is also a letdown, but the biggest is the weapon limitations. It sucks that you can't use every weapon with every class, which was nice in ME1 because even without specialization in weapons, you could still use them in a pinch. I like using a high powered shotgun as a Sentinel in ME1 because I get close to the enemy anyways while dicking around with biotics and tech powers. In ME2, yeah I've got my super shield armour, but the universal cooldowns means I'm stuck using the drat carnifex pistol half the time and it's no fun. Pistols just kind of suck in ME2 in that they don't feel fun to use compared to the hardware Soldiers and Vanguards get to play with.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Crustashio posted:

The change from 1 to 2 is insane back to back. Every single aspect of combat feels better. Movement, cover, weapons, powers.

ME3 wasn't quite the leap from 1-2, but it was still a nice evolution. The reaper enemies were especially fun to fight lategame when they threw everything at you. ME3 gets rightly poo poo on for the story but it's 5 years old now and the combat still holds up.

I'm playing through the series for the first time as a vanguard. In ME1 it feels similar to any other class - a bunch of powers to spam and a weapon specific power that does extra damage. Then ME2 gives you charge and completely changes how that class plays. Right off the bat you need to be super aggressive and use your shotgun, unlike ME1 when you're too fraglie to close in on most enemies. Maxed heavy charge against unshielded enemies is loving hilarious. I've never done sentinel or engineer in 2/3, but infiltrator, adept and soldier were all fun in their own way.

Yeah, I did this latest playthrough as a Vanguard, where before I'd always played a Wizard/Adept.
I thought it was interesting, but I still prefer my Mage-Supremacy. The combat styles were pretty significantly different, so it was good.

At least they iterated the cover system from 2 to 3. It was a definitely more responsive and controllable.
Why do you want grenades? That's kinda fuckin' dumb. You have TWO other teammates with probably different powers, use them to advantage. Having grenades on your person just means it's no longer a team sport, and we're back to soloing poo poo and turtling down for no reason. Pistols were kinda silly, but I do think it kinda makes sense to limit your spread of weaponry for the type of "class" you play. But I think Me3s was the best way - weight affects power cooldowns - but you could have any groupings of weapons you wanted.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I hardly used pistols when I played ME2 adept. SMG was the primary weapon.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

nerdz posted:

do you actually know what a retcon is?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

nerdz posted:

it won't stop being a hilarious retcon though. it's like they decided hacking was too powerful in watch dogs 1 and made the guy in watchdogs 2 a computer illiterate person.

You've just created a fifty times more interesting game than any Watchdogs game will ever be.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

The moment I saw this, I assumed it was in French. I think ces means something in French.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Eregos posted:

The moment I saw this, I assumed it was in French. I think ces means something in French.

"Ces" is just the plural of "ce" which means "this" (Or "these" in Ces's case)

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

Arcsquad12 posted:

"Ces" is just the plural of "ce" which means "this" (Or "these" in Ces's case)

French are dirty anyways, I don't approve of them.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I just want biotics to work through shields again so I can levitate charging krogans off the citadel spire into oblivion.

Er, I mean the alien substitute spire totally original nothing to see here move along preorder now.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Crustashio posted:

Sentinel is ridiculously great. Overload and Warp all day, way shorter cooldowns, and you're a tank.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Eregos posted:

CES is the gender inclusive particular, whereas CIS is the exclusive. They just don't want to trigger their fanbase.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Sentinel is ridiculously great. Overload and Warp all day, way shorter cooldowns, and you're a tank.

Sure, but playing as a Vanguard is the closest thing Mass Effect lets you get to playing Brutal Doom.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Drifter posted:

Sure, but playing as a Vanguard is the closest thing Mass Effect lets you get to playing Brutal Doom.

Playing Vanguard in Andromeda gives all of Ryder's conversation trees an additional "Incoherent yelling" option.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Drifter posted:

But you could just play DOOM 2016 now, so it has been superseded.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

But you could just play DOOM 2016 now, so it has been superseded.

Well...call me when someone makes a total conversion of Mass Effect into the Doom16 engine. Until then, maybe they're two different enough games that one might not be played by a fan of the other, for various reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alert me when Ryder can restore health by tearing enemies limb from limb.