Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

seiferguy posted:

Beat the game last night. Overall thoroughly enjoyed it, some thoughts:

- Chapters 9 through 13 kind of go at an insane pace storytelling wise.

Someone explained to me that this chapter was supposed to be the ending of the game and the rest was gonna be a trilogy and I don't know how true that is but everything makes so much sense after hearing that. Apparently the breakdown was like:

FF15 1: Ends at chapter 9, which is why everything gets so grim suddenly and there's a huge epic bossfight where you turn into a gundam and Luna dies OUT OF NOWHERE with no buildup and you spend a grand total of 10 minutes in the huge endgame open city, which should've been much more of a hub. I have a feeling a lot of quests intended for Altissia got moved to Lestallum and Altissia was just not finished properly. The Ignis DLC is supposed to flesh out chapter 9, probably with cut content

FF15-2: The areas you see on the train were supposed to be a second open world instead of you zooming along them. If you open the world map on the train you can clearly see how they started designing a lot of it, and you still have stuff like outposts and dungeons on the map. Also made very obvious by the fact that there's an actual title screen when you get on the train. Probably a lot of the content was moved to the current open world, especially the dungeons which sorta come out of nowhere right now.

FF15-3: Apparently the timeskip was supposed to be it's own game. You were gonna start the game as old Noctis without your friends and see how the world has gone to poo poo like FF6 World of Ruin, which is why the last mission is called that. There are designs for the entire cast post-timeskip and it was gonna be you revisiting all these guys you haven't seen in a while and gathering your party like a Mass Effect game

And then I'm sure Kingsglaive and Brotherhood are a result of that too, they probably could've integrated them into FF15-1 and it would've felt like a fuller game.

What a weird game.

BTW This post also answers a lot of questions on the last couple of pages of "Why did X Happen" I think

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Someone explained to me that this chapter was supposed to be the ending of the game and the rest was gonna be a trilogy and I don't know how true that is but everything makes so much sense after hearing that. Apparently the breakdown was like:

FF15 1: Ends at chapter 9, which is why everything gets so grim suddenly and there's a huge epic bossfight where you turn into a gundam and Luna dies OUT OF NOWHERE with no buildup and you spend a grand total of 10 minutes in the huge endgame open city, which should've been much more of a hub. I have a feeling a lot of quests intended for Altissia got moved to Lestallum and Altissia was just not finished properly. The Ignis DLC is supposed to flesh out chapter 9, probably with cut content

FF15-2: The areas you see on the train were supposed to be a second open world instead of you zooming along them. If you open the world map on the train you can clearly see how they started designing a lot of it, and you still have stuff like outposts and dungeons on the map. Also made very obvious by the fact that there's an actual title screen when you get on the train. Probably a lot of the content was moved to the current open world, especially the dungeons which sorta come out of nowhere right now.

FF15-3: Apparently the timeskip was supposed to be it's own game. You were gonna start the game as old Noctis without your friends and see how the world has gone to poo poo like FF6 World of Ruin, which is why the last mission is called that. There are designs for the entire cast post-timeskip and it was gonna be you revisiting all these guys you haven't seen in a while and gathering your party like a Mass Effect game

And then I'm sure Kingsglaive and Brotherhood are a result of that too, they probably could've integrated them into FF15-1 and it would've felt like a fuller game.

What a weird game.

BTW This post also answers a lot of questions on the last couple of pages of "Why did X Happen" I think

I don't quite buy 3 GAMES idea, but I do totally see that those moments all were supposed to be heavily extended.

Kingsglaive mid story wouldn''t make sense unless they pulled a kH2 and had you play someone else to start.

The second open world is clear, especially with shiva and how forced that felt in general

the time skip felt clear because the are by galdin quay alone had more enemy variance then most of the map in like 1/50 of it's size.

Like the demon wall was designed to interact very uniquely with caves but this one of the very few times in game it's seen.

Instead of games, i do entirely see diff versions of the map were supposed to be created.

Altissia and insomnia were clearly places that they had more in mind for and tons was cut and this is super obvious from literally just viewing old trailers of the party fighting there

I'd be interested in a directors cut of this game or something or at least short scenarios they'd had planned and cut even voiceless.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Yeah I beat a l53 midgardsormr with some difficulty at around level 32 but the necromancers that are l42 in some hunt wrecked my poo poo. I had to use a mega Phoenix of all things

Use mega pheonix and megalixers as much as you want.
They are more common then mega potions in this game until gladio picks those up.

Use the mega phoenix for full party heal when people are dead and or dying simultaneously, and don't think twice, just do a hunt or two and you'll get another.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

orai... orai... orai... stoppu!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Wait. Are there unused locations on the Gralean map?

What does it say exactly on the map?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Oh, can you only beat adamantoise once per play through?

You can retake the hunt but you only get the bangle the first time.

JetsGuy posted:

I'll forego the "then save your fiancee with your time traveling dog" comment and just :psyduck:. When it was brought up in Ch9 I figured it was just something silly to repeat things... now I'm realizing it's the only way back. Jesus Christ.

I'm assuming XP and items travel with me?

People have been calling it time travel, but I think the game explains it more as Noctis reliving his memories as opposed to doing some Chrono Trigger poo poo.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Barudak posted:

I swear after years of RPG sidequest fuckery this game should just pop up during the opening credits "nothing is missable"
Except for some drops that only happen during the storyline and for some hosed up reason I managed to miss.
Specifically the chapter 2 boss drop machinery but there's probably more considering I've only literally picked up 1 machine and I just unlocked the ultra-hard end dungeons.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

People have been calling it time travel, but I think the game explains it more as Noctis reliving his memories as opposed to doing some Chrono Trigger poo poo.
Yeah the game explains it's just reliving memories. Sorta like how the snake fight in the anime actually happened but you never play out that scene in the game. There's just a ton of stuff that happened during the road trip that you did but you just don't know it yet!
Ooops, sorry for double posting instead of editing. Too late now.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Yakuza 4 did the same thing and it was quite out of place.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

DaveKap posted:

Except for some drops that only happen during the storyline and for some hosed up reason I managed to miss.
Specifically the chapter 2 boss drop machinery but there's probably more considering I've only literally picked up 1 machine and I just unlocked the ultra-hard end dungeons.

Can't you get all the machinery by farming Caem Carrots? I know I never saw the Bio-gun thing during the story, or I just missed it, but I'm pretty sure you can get it via the carrot guy.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So is there any big payoff for these side quest chains like Sania or Dave the "I keep hiring weak Hunters" guy? or does it just end with some XP and that's it.

I just hit Chapter 9, went back to the future and have a bunch of quests I can finish off.

Follow up question: I just dumped 260k xp at the 3x hotel and got to lvl 65. Is there enough stuff remaining in the game to hit 99? I'll continue to hoard XP I'm just not sure when to cash it out.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Is the a tldr of the two things outside the game

I don't want to watch either of them but I want to know what background I'm missing

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

m.hache posted:

So is there any big payoff for these side quest chains like Sania or Dave the "I keep hiring weak Hunters" guy? or does it just end with some XP and that's it.

I just hit Chapter 9, went back to the future and have a bunch of quests I can finish off.

Follow up question: I just dumped 260k xp at the 3x hotel and got to lvl 65. Is there enough stuff remaining in the game to hit 99? I'll continue to hoard XP I'm just not sure when to cash it out.

Almost certainly not based on the fact that most quests only give a couple of K but it's not especially hard to make the experience magic, just time consuming.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

m.hache posted:

Sania's final quest is to find 5 frogs hidden in 5 different locations somewhere on the entire map with no hints as to where, and the reward is a ribbon.

So no.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The ribbon is kinda nice, though.

And I got to 99 with minimal grinding. I used all the XP magic I could cast using all the coins I had found, I never grinded for any. I did do almost every side quest and a good chunk of hunts. And this was without the Nixperience band. Assuming you use Galdin once in chapter 1 (for free) and then not tally XP until Altissia so all your game XP is x3 you can probably hit 99 by doing all the quests.

So basically hunt cactuars at the start of the game (2 get you to low 20's. You can probably easy hunt 5-6 and start the game in your 30's)

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I basically failed to have any reaction to Luna's death or Noctis' grief because the game never gave me a reason to relate with these characters. Ignis getting blinded was more of a shock factor but even that wasn't too bad. Hell I resonated more with Ardyn because of his back story than any of the actual main cast.

I hate to say this but Final Fantasy 13 had better characterization. Hope was a moody rear end in a top hat for the first half of the game, but his mom died while he watched so I can understand his struggle. Most of the plot was batshit crazy but they at least gave you a reason to care.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Vargatron posted:

I basically failed to have any reaction to Luna's death or Noctis' grief because the game never gave me a reason to relate with these characters. Ignis getting blinded was more of a shock factor but even that wasn't too bad. Hell I resonated more with Ardyn because of his back story than any of the actual main cast.

I hate to say this but Final Fantasy 13 had better characterization. Hope was a moody rear end in a top hat for the first half of the game, but his mom died while he watched so I can understand his struggle. Most of the plot was batshit crazy but they at least gave you a reason to care.

I don't know about Luna but I did care what happened to Noctis. Maybe not Luna's death particularly but Noctis went through some rough poo poo and the way they handled the ending was perfect. I think one of the things sorely missing from FFXV was Noctis's relationship with his father. We do get hints from the discarded trailers (the soup scene) and other flavour text that Regis was a cool dad burdened by his heritage but it's a shame a lot of it is never brought up in the game.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

seiferguy posted:

Beat the game last night. Overall thoroughly enjoyed it, some thoughts:

- Chapters 9 through 13 kind of go at an insane pace storytelling wise. Everyone seemed to hate 13, but 9 was a mess with Leviathan coming and Ardyn stabbing Luna and now Ignis is blind. Wasn't a big fan of that. Luna's death didn't feel that important considering that Noct rarely had seen her and only contacted her through Umbra.

- Everyone having to die at the end was pretty meh. I guess it made sense that Noct had to die to seal Ardyn with the help of the Knights of the Round (as I like to call them), but him apparently waking up in the afterlife married to Luna was a letdown since I wanted him to get together with Iris now that Luna was out of the picture. Also, Ardyn killing your party in the blink of an eye was a bit much.

- Regalia Type F is fun but way too hard to land. Either I've landed it on top of a bridge cress accidentally leading to a game over, or I land with little runway left and run straight into a guardrail forcing me to tow it back to Cindy for a hefty repair bill. Oh well, it's infinite fuel, and it's better than grinding out the monster betting game for a magitek core.

- The combat of the game is way I loved the most. Though some enemies are way more annoying than others. Getting the ultima blade makes it a lot easier though.

Gonna try the secret dungeon sometime soon.

I also beat the game this weekend and the game made me feel like I did when I played my favorite FF when I was a kid...Tactics!.....I mean FFVII. FFVII felt like such a grand story and was gripping and even tear jerking at times, and I felt like FFXV had even more than that. As the OP says, watching the intro youtube series is so important to how you perceive this game and without that context I can understand how people can be turned off by the game. Myself however, I felt like the backstory made the entire process of beating the game much more enthralling, and my wife even got into watching me play every time it was on. Even though the game can be corny, and is buggy and aggravating it's easily one of my favorites and all in all is probably one of the top 3 FF's overall when it is all said and done. The game looks visually amazing, the combat is very fun and the story is done well.

My final comment comes about the ending : from everything that I've tried to understand and read is that the part with Noctis and Luna being married is actually a dream sequence and it happens right before Noctis sacrifices himself to permanently cleanse Ardyn to allow him to ascend and permanently rid the world of Daemons. Essentially, that moment in time is their....Final Fantasy (cliche? maybe. corny? absolutely. works well with the story? also absolutely.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I'm going to attempt Pitioss sometime soon and I've been looking around and I can't find a list of the collectibles in there. I know there's not a map since even the official guide states that it's impossible to do in screenshots since it's so confusing and it just gives a QR code and link to a video walkthrough (they said they tried to do it but couldn't).

On another note, the official guide is really good. I got the hardcover collector's edition and it comes with a giant map that has every single pickup on it as well as a key telling you what they are. I don't just mean the treasure chests, I mean the random glowing drops you find around. It's also got maps of drat near everything (except Pitioss of course) and aside from one or two minor things, the information is correct. The only thing I've noticed wrong in it is that it leaves out a prerequisite for one of the injured hunter quests. It's super thorough and worth the $20 or so that you can buy it for on Amazon. It's something like 400+ pages of really well written and thorough guides and information. There's a few spots where it's got the problem of a bad binding, for example on the final frog quest there's one or two that are right on the gutter there in the middle and it's hard to make out. Quality is top notch though.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 4, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
There's a ton of stuff in Pitioss and I'd recommend that you just grab whatever you feel like going for. Nothing in there except the black hood can't be obtained elsewhere, and may not be worth the hassle.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is Pitioss the crazy "best dungeon in the game/in an RPG in years" that I saw some reviewers talking about?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is Pitioss the crazy "best dungeon in the game/in an RPG in years" that I saw some reviewers talking about?

Probably. It's not that at all, if there was any doubt.

I said before that Pitioss feels more like the product of a half-delirious jam session among the developers that was never meant to see the light of day.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Cowman posted:

I'm going to attempt Pitioss sometime soon and I've been looking around and I can't find a list of the collectibles in there. I know there's not a map since even the official guide states that it's impossible to do in screenshots since it's so confusing and it just gives a QR code and link to a video walkthrough (they said they tried to do it but couldn't).

On another note, the official guide is really good. I got the hardcover collector's edition and it comes with a giant map that has every single pickup on it as well as a key telling you what they are. I don't just mean the treasure chests, I mean the random glowing drops you find around. It's also got maps of drat near everything (except Pitioss of course) and aside from one or two minor things, the information is correct. The only thing I've noticed wrong in it is that it leaves out a prerequisite for one of the injured hunter quests. It's super thorough and worth the $20 or so that you can buy it for on Amazon. It's something like 400+ pages of really well written and thorough guides and information. There's a few spots where it's got the problem of a bad binding, for example on the final frog quest there's one or two that are right on the gutter there in the middle and it's hard to make out. Quality is top notch though.

It's missing some of the fishing spots as well, 4 or 5 that I've seen, but otherwise yeah seems pretty solid.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I sure hope not. Pitioss is an altogether too dark puzzle platformer dungeon with no combat. It's a neat enough concept, but I'm just glad they made the wise decision to make it super optional (they didn't even tie a trophy to it).

Anyway, I'll also echo the love for the guide. It's very good.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Vargatron posted:

same. And honestly I understood where Gladio was coming from with his GET OVER IT crap.

Really my thought is that ever since FF7 SE has been trying to recapture the "weight" of Aries getting murdered. I pretty much expect a person to die in every FF game now.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Almost certainly not based on the fact that most quests only give a couple of K but it's not especially hard to make the experience magic, just time consuming.

Is there an easy way to farm up those coins? I messes up with the XP cast magic and dumped a bunch when gladios wasn't in the group so he's 7 levels behind. Also does it make sense to dump all the coins into a single magic? Or one coin per flask?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

JetsGuy posted:

same. And honestly I understood where Gladio was coming from with his GET OVER IT crap.

Really my thought is that ever since FF7 SE has been trying to recapture the "weight" of Aries getting murdered. I pretty much expect a person to die in every FF game now.

To make a character death have impact there has to be some level of attachment present. It also doesn't help that Square keeps trying to throw in a death pretty much every game just because it's expected. The whole thing with Gladio being an rear end feels like a byproduct of his character archetype. He's expected to have that reaction with Noct, but I think it would have been more meaningful if he was all like "how do you think I'm feeling? I want to mope around too but I can't because I have to keep moving!".

The Witcher 3 has a character die during the game and it had me in tears because I knew this character from the first game and the writers emphasized the importance of this character in Geralt's development. The tragedy was amplified because I not only felt Geralt's pain but I felt like I had lost a friend too.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
is there a way to export my camera roll or whatever from a save game on ps4? prompto took the best mr. magoo picture ever and i must share it

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
It's too bad they made something visually pretty like Altissia and then made it a terrible loving maze to navigate.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ZenVulgarity posted:

Is the a tldr of the two things outside the game

I don't want to watch either of them but I want to know what background I'm missing

Kingsglaive: A bunch of cool-looking action as Insomnia falls.
Brotherhood: Literally nothing happens and you should watch it anyway. It's like how some of the best parts of the game are interpersonal moments between the bros? Brotherhood is just those moments before Noct leaves Insomnia.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Kingsglaive: A bunch of cool-looking action as Insomnia falls.
Brotherhood: Literally nothing happens and you should watch it anyway. It's like how some of the best parts of the game are interpersonal moments between the bros? Brotherhood is just those moments before Noct leaves Insomnia.

Brojobs

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
The only questions I am asking right now is why these 3 chucklefucks can't walk/run behind me in some kind of standard fashion or formation and block every loving door I try to go through?

I swear Ignis and Gladios are in every eatery doorway I try to leave after getting info or a hunt.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

hagie posted:

The only questions I am asking right now is why these 3 chucklefucks can't walk/run behind me in some kind of standard fashion or formation and block every loving door I try to go through?

I swear Ignis and Gladios are in every eatery doorway I try to leave after getting info or a hunt.

Western RPGs.

Single file line behind Noctis please, thank you.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

JetsGuy posted:

Final Fantasys have had "shocking deaths" since 2, with Joseph. It's practically a staple of the series. Tellah, Galuf, Shadow if you do things wrong (and a lot of the supporting cast in 6), Aeris, etc.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Darko posted:

Final Fantasys have had "shocking deaths" since 2, with Joseph. It's practically a staple of the series. Tellah, Galuf, Shadow if you do things wrong (and a lot of the supporting cast in 6), Aeris, etc.

Don't forget about Final Fantasy X, where everyone was dead to begin with

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

oh no, Pitioss is even worse than i was led to believe.
these controls are not made for platforming, squenix!

why is this included, when there's so much else in the game unfinished?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Western RPGs.

Single file line behind Noctis please, thank you.

I wouldn't mind it so much if they weren't in the way in enclosed areas so often.

"Oh cool lighthouse!" (Gladios standing in doorway on way out)

"Let's rest in this sweet bungalo...nevermind let's move the quest along" (Ignis standing in way at bottom of steps)

Then they get all huffy puffy when you try to just plow through them. I get that they are my guard, but I don't think they are "guarding" my rear end in a top hat to be so far up in it.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ventana posted:

Uh, is this game not already full action JRPG? (ignoring wait mode)

I don't know, it feels like its trying to be full action rpg, but the camera and controls don't really feel fully fleshed out for action rpg goodness. Even something like Dragons Dogma, which did the group of four in action rpg combat had less jankiness in terms of combat controls. A lot of the time I'll hit a button to do this or that and it doesn't seem like it registers at all. The biggest that stand out to me are armiger and block.

Barudak posted:

There is a full lock on. Press the soft lock on button and while holding it press whatever button is assigned to open your map.

Thanks for this. It certainly will change things. Locking on is super frustrating especially when you're trying to target a specific part of a robot or whatever. Does it let you easily cycle through targets?

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Thanks for this. It certainly will change things. Locking on is super frustrating especially when you're trying to target a specific part of a robot or whatever. Does it let you easily cycle through targets?

So easy that you can do it by accident! Like all the time. Maybe I am doing something wrong but it never locks on permanently for me so it just seems useless.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I have a potentially dumb question. I've already cleared Crestholm Channels and killed Jormungand, but I've noticed that there is a bounty on him. Can I still claim the bounty even though I've already killed him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

pubic works project posted:

I have a potentially dumb question. I've already cleared Crestholm Channels and killed Jormungand, but I've noticed that there is a bounty on him. Can I still claim the bounty even though I've already killed him?

Nope! In fact, that bounty doesn't even appear until you beat him the first time.

• Locked thread