Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

drrockso20 posted:

When it comes to Middle Earth art these days, my favorite is from an artist over on Deviantart who goes by Turner Mohan, there's a sense of believability to his stuff(but at the same time not held back by "realism" needlessly) while still retaining the inherent fantasy of the setting, especially love the way he draws the Orcs, and he did an absolutely lovely piece for the Blue Wizards
I love breath-art's Tolkien stuff - much more stylized and abstract, but so, so pretty: http://breath-art.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=%2F&q=tolkien

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

I thought the movies were cool.

I thought half the movies were half as cool as I should like, and I like the other half of the movies half as well as they deserve.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I thought half the movies were half as cool as I should like, and I like the other half of the movies half as well as they deserve.

You may find when confronted with the movies that you may agree with our decision to spare them.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Data Graham posted:

Well, between him and the guy who made Fritz the Cat

The Lord of the rings cartoon is good

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Still think the Rankin-Bass cartoons were the best of the lot.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The movies are worthwhile if only for the Special Features on The Two Towers, which begins with a couple of Tolkien experts explaining that LotR has, by publishers' standards, an extremely odd and unusable structure for a novel and he does all kinds of things that a professional author wouldn't have done, and how brilliant and unique it makes the story seem and how great and wonderful it is that he was so unconventional in his approach. Then about an hour later they have the brass neck to put on Jackson and Walsh and Boyens justifying why they poo poo all over Faramir, on the grounds that they needed to make him conform to modern movie-making techniques and they didn't really have a villain for Frodo and Sam to struggle against, and anyway in the novel Faramir doesn't go on a journey within himself or anything*, so clearly they had to change that.

*Offer void for Ruling Stewards of Gondor

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Don't get me started about Faramir. His journey was of hope turned to despair turned to hope.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
i will never forgive that they made gimli a comic side kick

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Hogge Wild posted:

i will never forgive that they made gimli a comic side kick

Gimli was quite funny in the book.

He was also very wise and poetic and they didn't put that in.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The best is their interpretation of Denethor as a fat stupid old man who eats grapes in a disgusting way.

I hate Peter Jackson just because of that god damned scene.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Ginette Reno posted:

The best is their interpretation of Denethor as a fat stupid old man who eats grapes in a disgusting way.

I hate Peter Jackson just because of that god damned scene.

Yeah I recently both re-read the books (for like...the 10th time) and rewatched the movies and while I still think they are as good as any mainstream LotR movies could have been, looking back at them after more than 10 years, some parts are really just bad :(

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Things the Jackson films hosed up badly:

1) Aragorn french kissing a horse

2) Half of Denethor's scenes

3) All of Faramir's, especially the entire ending sequence in the second film (if the nazgul see frodo has the ring the story is over, duh)

4) The Paths of the Dead looks like a video game sequence

5) So does a big chunk of the Mines of Moria

6) They kinda mangled Galadriel with too much CGI

7) Too many songs in the third movie

8) drawing a blank past that

9) I want to say "nobody tosses a dwarf" but, gently caress it, that was funny

Things they got right:

1) Like everything else plus Arwen is dramatically improved

They're flawed films but they're better than we had any right to expect from Hollywood.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 3, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah arwen was a homerun.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm conflicted on a bunch of things. Especially Andruil.

I liked Arwen too, but I do remember a lot of backlash against her battle scene thing. I dunno, I don't have a strong opinion on it if I'm being totally honest.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm conflicted on a bunch of things. Especially Andruil.

I liked Arwen too, but I do remember a lot of backlash against her battle scene thing. I dunno, I don't have a strong opinion on it if I'm being totally honest.

Arwen was originally going to be at Helm's Deep, and they even filmed Liv Tyler in battle there. Holy poo poo that was a bad idea.

The movies aren't perfect, but I think looking back they're as good as we were ever going to get. It could've been an awful lot worse!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm pissed off that elves showed up at helms deep.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They're flawed films but they're better than we had any right to expect from Hollywood.

They're nothing at all like the books. I can understand why they made the type of movies they did but it would have been interesting to see someone (not Peter Jackson who lacks any type of subtlety) try to make a more faithful adaptation. It'd be bizarre and fuckin' weird but I'd find that more interesting than generic blockbuster fantasy thriller.

e: I just remembered the most egregious line of all: "He's twitchin because he's got my axe in his nervous system!" A line so profoundly stupid and out of place that I can't believe nobody caught it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

They're nothing at all like the books. I can understand why they made the type of movies they did but it would have been interesting to see someone (not Peter Jackson who lacks any type of subtlety) try to make a more faithful adaptation. It'd be bizarre and fuckin' weird but I'd find that more interesting than generic blockbuster fantasy thriller.

e: I just remembered the most egregious line of all: "He's twitchin because he's got my axe in his nervous system!" A line so profoundly stupid and out of place that I can't believe nobody caught it.

They put it there so that means they "caught" it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

To be fair, they also cut it (out of the theatrical release).

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

It's extra baffling how good the LotR films managed to turn out when you consider how loving godawful the Hobbit movies are.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I didn't really like the hobbit movies but they and lotr are sort of fundamentally similar.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And that's kinda the problem.

(Well, one of them)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I like to read the Hobbit movies as a cynical parody of the Lord of the Rings movies. The cynicism of their very existence lends itself well to this interpretation, as do the stylistic and structural similarities.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Radio! posted:

It's extra baffling how good the LotR films managed to turn out when you consider how loving godawful the Hobbit movies are.

There's a decent -- not great, but decent -- movie somewhere in the Hobbit trilogy but it's butter scraped over too much bread.

The core issue though is that the Hobbit book is about Bilbo defeating a dragon through wit and bravery, and the movies take that away from him because they wanted to sell Action Bard toys.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Since we're doing this:

Things the Jackson films hosed up badly:

Spending ~20 minutes of your movie establishing Treebeard as an exceptionally un-hasty and considered character who only takes decisions after long and involved discussion and careful pondering and weighing up of pros and cons and whys and wherefores...and then having him change his mind in about five seconds when he sees the destruction around Isengard. Sorry, could you repeat that about needing to follow modern rules of movie storytelling? These are clearly some new rules that I wasn't previously aware of.

Ginette Reno posted:

To be fair, the ridiculously insane success of those movies all-but-guarantees that eventually the Amazon-Netflix-Baidu Conglomerate or whoever will get hold of the rights and do that more faithful adaptation, probably in about 25 years, and they'll do it as a ridiculously gigantic TV series that goes on for 26 episodes before it says anything about Baggins or Shire.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Trin Tragula posted:

Since we're doing this:

Spending ~20 minutes of your movie establishing Treebeard as an exceptionally un-hasty and considered character who only takes decisions after long and involved discussion and careful pondering and weighing up of pros and cons and whys and wherefores...and then having him change his mind in about five seconds when he sees the destruction around Isengard. Sorry, could you repeat that about needing to follow modern rules of movie storytelling? These are clearly some new rules that I wasn't previously aware of.

To be fair, the ridiculously insane success of those movies all-but-guarantees that eventually the Amazon-Netflix-Baidu Conglomerate or whoever will get hold of the rights and do that more faithful adaptation, probably in about 25 years, and they'll do it as a ridiculously gigantic TV series that goes on for 26 episodes before it says anything about Baggins or Shire.

:swoon: Just give me every spoken line in the books, and nothing more. Forget pacing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ynglaur posted:

:swoon: Just give me every spoken line in the books, and nothing more. Forget pacing.

See, that's what I told myself I wanted, all through my youth. And then it occurred to me that that's exactly what Bakshi tried to do, God help him.

Verbatim lines of dialogue, regardless of how much better they work in print than on screen. Major exposition not revealed until a giant Council of Elrond infodump which works fine in the book because you can take a protracted breather for mythic backstory several chapters into a novel, but you can't really do that in a movie or in episode 7 of a 13-episode TV series. A complete lack of comic timing or drama, or characterization driven by visuals, one of the few clear advantages of such a medium. But at least he tried. He clearly wanted to preserve everything he could, as close as possible to just "filming the book".

So when FotR dropped and I saw the first trailers and there was Aragorn going "Are you frightened? ... Not nearly frightened enough!" I was as ready to rage out as I was excited. I thought Jackson was going to make some kind of sarcastic modernized take with none of the original material intact. I prepared myself for fart jokes and Monica Lewinsky references and a soundtrack by Bono.

But then I saw the actual thing and... from the very first line of dialogue ("A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to", which is nowhere in the text but is perfectly Gandalf), I was ready to believe; and then when his face cracked up and he started laughing at his own pretentiousness I knew I was in the best of hands we're ever going to find.

Maybe there's a way to adapt the text without putting it through a food processor to make it palatable in a visual presentation. But it has been tried, and it didn't turn out nearly so well as letting the story breathe and transform and be what it wants to be.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I thought Bakshi edited too much, but I guess that's just me. What I'm saying is a 30 hour visual audio book would be fine by me.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I remember a lot of my friends were hacked the gently caress off when Arwen initially spoke in the first movie. Apparently her consonants were too soft and sounded Feanorian (???) but I am not a linguist in any way and mostly just laughed at them for giving a poo poo what her 'th' phonemes sounded like when IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE GLORFINDEL UGH

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

elise the great posted:

I remember a lot of my friends were hacked the gently caress off when Arwen initially spoke in the first movie. Apparently her consonants were too soft and sounded Feanorian (???) but I am not a linguist in any way and mostly just laughed at them for giving a poo poo what her 'th' phonemes sounded like when IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE GLORFINDEL UGH

Nerds are the loving worst lmao

Like I get being annoyed that Arwen replaced Glorfindel for the flight to the Ford, but the whole "let's pick nits endlessly in this because it's not up to our impossible standards" drives me loving crazy. Her consonants were too soft ahahaha

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Movies are primarily a visual medium and both Lord of the rings films were huge successes in that department

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

webmeister posted:

Nerds are the loving worst lmao

Like I get being annoyed that Arwen replaced Glorfindel for the flight to the Ford, but the whole "let's pick nits endlessly in this because it's not up to our impossible standards" drives me loving crazy. Her consonants were too soft ahahaha

Harsh truth: Glorfindel was a lame character and one step removed from a deus ex machina and Arwen replacing him is a massive improvement, not just in terms of like gender and poo poo, but also in terms of narrative and character development. Having a major character's love interest not show up till an appendix is not good writing, folks.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Even Bakshi replaced him with Legolas, just to tighten up the narrative

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Smoking Crow posted:

Movies are primarily a visual medium and both Lord of the rings films were huge successes in that department

Okay Michael Bay

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Harsh truth: Glorfindel was a lame character and one step removed from a deus ex machina and Arwen replacing him is a massive improvement, not just in terms of like gender and poo poo, but also in terms of narrative and character development. Having a major character's love interest not show up till an appendix is not good writing, folks.

Yeah I agree, I think it was a good replacement, but I can understand why people didn't like it. It's a lot more understandable than many complaints about the trilogy tbh

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Ginette Reno posted:

Okay Michael Bay

Current Michael Bay films look bad, Bakshi's LotR is a masterpiece

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Yeah, Glorfindel was such a non-entity Tolkein apparently forgot he had killed the bastard once already in his unpublished Silmarils and had to retcon him (don't think retcon is the right word here) for the Lord of the Rings.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

elise the great posted:

This one actually makes sense if you assume she's putting on an accent to piss off her dad.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
"Hey dad, remember those guys who raised you, except later on you found out that they straight up drove your mother to her death in the ocean and murdered the rest of your family and they were actually your kidnappers instead of your adopted parents? I'm gonna lisp JUST LIKE THEM and also marry a baby human."

Like, no wonder Galadriel doesn't come around to visit.

I agree though. Given that I would rather watch an actual Michael Bay movie than a PJ adaptation of the Sil, I'm kinda glad they skipped the opportunity to tie in the inevitably garbage "prequel" adaptation of the fall of Gondolin. Hey kids, remember that throwaway character who met Frodo at the ford? Crowd favorite! Here comes the next trilogy!

OTOH if Arwen had been shipped off to the appendices we wouldn't have had that moving scene where Aragorn makes out with his horse, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Glorfindel owns, actually. Both of them.