Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Armitage posted:

formatted thing

Do you have a modifiable sheet for that? I'd love to put out what relics I got and ask for ya'lls take for what I should gun for in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Eesh... probably gonna have to pass on Primal Exdeath, though. Not a lot of good options for magic-based wind damage. Haven't cleared Meltdown Nightmare, haven't honed Tiamat at all (and only have enough orbs to hone it one time anyway)... my best source of magic Wind damage is an R3 Gust. I have Terra and Rinoa's BSBs for water, fire and earth, but I also lack native runic, and my strongest faithgas are Edward's Song of Swiftness and Dorgann's Winds of Home. :effort:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

My 100 gem on the last fest banner got me a dupe Gabranth's Hauberk. :v:

Oh well, contemplating if I'll combine it or not. Dark Resist gear isn't exactly common but eh...

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If you're looking for a +fire weapon Refia can wield, tomorrow's XIV banner has two.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

W.T. Fits posted:

Eesh... probably gonna have to pass on Primal Exdeath, though. Not a lot of good options for magic-based wind damage. Haven't cleared Meltdown Nightmare, haven't honed Tiamat at all (and only have enough orbs to hone it one time anyway)... my best source of magic Wind damage is an R3 Gust. I have Terra and Rinoa's BSBs for water, fire and earth, but I also lack native runic, and my strongest faithgas are Edward's Song of Swiftness and Dorgann's Winds of Home. :effort:

Only his first phase is weak to wind and it has like 75k hp so it dies to a light tap, so your wind ability doesn't actually need to deal significant damage, it just needs to land to satisfy the medal requirements.

Lurkzilla
Aug 31, 2006
Well, that was interesting. Needed any of the magic/attack buffs so had saved my pulls for this banner.

Pull 1:
Hope OSB, Garland Sword. Cool. First OSB and I Have Hope's BSB which could be fun to combo.
Pull 2:
Garland Sword x2. Well, 8* dark damage sword is kinda cool. Still would make use of most the banner, so worth another pull.
Pull 3:
Garland Sword x3. .... If only I had any other physical darkness users with a worthwhile SB to make use of another 8* darkness sword (still my second best non-synergy weapon I guess).

At this point, I'm not even mad. I just have to laugh at the odds of it all.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Servaetes posted:

Do you have a modifiable sheet for that? I'd love to put out what relics I got and ask for ya'lls take for what I should gun for in the future.

I just created one for myself in Google Spreadsheets, but I think someone awhile back posted one that you can use.

I created a basic one at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_Wdt5gEulTRecF7iFYPrBv_XCV0J0uwz10BrStdc79A/edit?usp=sharing that you can copy to whatever spreadsheet editor you want. I just use the Windows Snipping Tool to capture an image of the spreadsheet. You can use whatever colors you like for OSB/BSB/SSB/SBs/Shared/generic stat sticks

Omega went down, on try #3. First try, I forgot to bring magic breakdown somehow. Second time around I had poor timing when trying to heal and his Doom Ultimas kept getting me. Third time was the charm, my new Lustrous Shield really helped out in this fight.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 4, 2017

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Oh I mean there's amazing ones, but a lot of them are stuff like "Def and Res up when equipping heavy armor" and stuff I'm in no rush to get. So I just worry about who has equipment for the most part, or who might be important for a CM. Rather than trying to go by RM importance.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

Combo posted:

I must be retarded because Ultima Weapon was tearing me a new rear end in a top hat earlier with like 5 different team configurations.

You and me both, mate. Had Pecil and Beatrix going to town on him with Lifesiphon/Saint's Cross into Knight Protector and Paladin Force, and once he got to his critical "lolDoomUltima" phase, I just couldn't keep up. The damage was there, but this is looking like a definite two healer fight. My Tyro was bored casting Power Breakdown anyway. A definitely good idea is to use Deployment Tactics as an RW (if you don't have something else in mind). Letting the bastard hit himself on repeat works wonders.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

FeralWraith posted:

You and me both, mate. Had Pecil and Beatrix going to town on him with Lifesiphon/Saint's Cross into Knight Protector and Paladin Force, and once he got to his critical "lolDoomUltima" phase, I just couldn't keep up. The damage was there, but this is looking like a definite two healer fight. My Tyro was bored casting Power Breakdown anyway. A definitely good idea is to use Deployment Tactics as an RW (if you don't have something else in mind). Letting the bastard hit himself on repeat works wonders.

I finally took it down.

Y'shtola w/BSB
Celes w/SSB
Hope w/OSB
Locke w/BSB
Ramza w/Shout

I built up all of my sb charges of Hope's OSB and dumped them when he got low for about 50k each.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

How many thrown weapon mages, just got two Hope OSB's. Rinoa, Hope, and...

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Ultima was pretty easy for me with my mega-mitigation squad that includes Tyro, Vaan and Agrias. Mastered it despite forgetting to bring a holy attack.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Yeesh, I honed Mind Breakdown and equipped holy resist accessories because Ultima Weapon uses Holy and he never bothered to use it once

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

djfooboo posted:

As black mages: Edea, Reno, and Onion Knight can also equip thrown.

Also most ninjas can equip thrown, which can be of use to them.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

U-DO Burger posted:

Yeesh, I honed Mind Breakdown and equipped holy resist accessories because Ultima Weapon uses Holy and he never bothered to use it once

Yeah, he's more dangerous from spamming Doom Ultima. It's quite annoying.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

djfooboo posted:

Edea. Fujin in about a month.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

djfooboo posted:

Tyro :engleft:

But really, for your throw mage needs, just glue them to Rinoa and Hope. They can both use black magic and summons with a side of white magic, it's awesome.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

This took a minute

This is only character SBs, I didn't include shared SBs or just general combined items or anything.

My VI synergy is loving retarded really.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Had a completely poo poo day all around so I decided to do two 11-pulls on Banner 5. Surely my luck had to change, right?

Nope.

3/22, Bomb Core, Soulrender, Gabranth's Hauberk. FML

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Screw those Torment fights. :argh:

I used Maria's Song for mastery requirements and scraped by on a bunch of soul break spamming plus Paladin Force. This was not fun at all, and my Cid Mission attempts were complete failures.

Edit: To elaborate a bit more, in the six trash rounds, I used Shout and Wall liberally, and had Tyro set up with Gaia's Cross to fuel more Walls. I also used Saint Cross to damage the dragon-type enemies and save myself some time, since really Cecil was going to be busy with Paladin Force in the final round anyway. Other than that, it was mostly auto-attacking to build meter.

On the piggy enemies, I used Crushing Blow enhanced by Shout, which was enough to wipe them out. This only worked if I had the SB meter built up by the time I hit the piggies, so if I got them round 1, I just ran and restarted.

My primary goal in this fight was to have all buffs (Protectga, Shellga, Shout, Wall) renewed in round 6 before transitioning to round 7 with as few usages of healing magic as possible. Maria's Song BSB attack commands didn't count as vulnerabilities for the bosses, but it still counted for the bonus conditions.

The actual boss fight involved managing my DPS and abilities and ensuring that Shout was constantly up in order to get maximum value out of all ability stocks. Toward the final 25% or so, it became a DPS race with me spamming Crushing Blow, Paladin Force, and Pride of Tycoon to try and kill the trio before they killed me.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 4, 2017

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Got eagletalon to go with my en holy bsb. Hope is a good holy mage, for me.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Only real +Fire fist is Zell's Burning Fist. However it hasn't appeared at all since its debut, so your best hope is to pray on the next Lucky Draw.
As Nihilarian pointed out, Yda's Kaiser Knuckles appearing on this event's 2nd Banner have +Fire damage. The generic Ifrit's Kris dagger on the same banner also has +Fire, in case you get the booby prize.
It's probably the best banner to chase a +Fire weapon for Refia for a while, even if XIV 1 overshadows it.

The only Thrown weapon with +Fire was on the WoFF Banner, which we're probably not anywhere near (if we're getting it).

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

djfooboo posted:

Rinoa, Hope, Tyro, Onion Knight, Edea, Reno, and Fujin and Reynn when we get them. Plus you can use it to cap Mag on Yuffie, Edge, or Shadow for ninja magic shenanigans.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Uh oh just beat the Ultima weapon and got a 6* mag stat item. Is this the herald of power creep?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

I feel like at this rate I'm gonna hit every elemental BSB possible. Was hoping for Y'shtola's BSB but I really don't need yet another healer BSB I guess.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 4, 2017

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
That +5 Mag is going to break the game in half.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Ultima Weapon down on the first try. I can't imagine doing that fight without a healer BSB since the boss does nothing but spam Doom Ultima once it's low on HP, but having Y'shtola dropping 1400-1500hp AOE heals non-stop basically fought its damage output to a draw while everyone else hammered it. Used a Celes BSB for the RW so that once it got low two I could have Ramza and Tyro both pop it to spam holy damage while Tidus used their own BSBs. Doom Ultima without double magic breakdown and full break must be brutal since even with those debuffs it was 1500ish damage. Rubicante was a hilarious fight because with mitiagation and debuffs up his counter fira was doing 2-300 damage to everyone, which Y'shtola easily healed once stoneskin eventually wore off. All the while charging up everyone's SB gauges at a hilariously fast rate. He could've had 3x as much HP and it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the fight.

Tetra being a stronger instant cast Curaja is downright absurd too. In the U++ Exdeath fight Exdeath fired two AOEs right before being pushed to his last phase which promptly uses Maelstrom and Y'shtola proceeded to fire off two tetras before his next action (which was a pair of single target moves on a freshly healed person). I'm not sure when Y'shtola will be replaced as my go-to healer but I imagine it won't be for a long time because goddamn she heals a disgusting amount of HP. I guess I should still make Curada at some point. :effort:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I've tried Ultima Weapon twice and he's killed my healer every time, he's a real fucker :mad:

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Ultima Weapon died first attempt; his weak phase would have brutalized me due to the sheer amount of AOE spam except for Penelo BSB, although damage wise Celes was cutting him apart with weakness exploiting Saint Crosses.

Tried an 11-pull on banner 5 to see if I could hit OK BSB and burned the last of my mythril reserves.

I got 0 5*s, proving that guaranteed 5* is complete bollocks and lies, and instead got my first OSB weapon with no idea what to use it for. Whoops.

I guess it's my strongest throwing weapon for Refia to use for backrow purposes, which is kind of funny.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

YOLO :v:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Does another pull on the XIV banner and got two Holy Shields. Meh

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Ultima went down pretty easy.

Pal Cecil- Burst
Angeal - Wings of Pride
Yuffie- Clear Tranquil
Yshtola- Stoneskin
Onion Knight- Burst

RW- Aethereal Pulse (oh god they are all disappearing again)

Clear Tranquil really is just the best for AoE spam.

UrielX
Jan 4, 2008
So just found this thread. Kind of a newer player here and could use some advice on team setup/direction.

Basically I've been working my way through the regular and elite dungeons (at the point in the regulars where they're only giving one shard per). I just recently hit the point where I've been able to start breaking caps (partly through using the massive XP from the power up dungeon). Following some of the advice in the thread I kind of setup my team around my relics.

So basically the core of my team is...

Cloud (broken cap with buster sword)
Kain (broken cap with Abel's lance, but also have blood lance)
Aerith (broken cap with Prism Rod)

So in addition to that I got Sphaira for Yda so I started using her. The other 5* weapons I have are Mistilteinn for Vanille (don't have), Sage's Staff for Lenna, and Healing staff for Minwu (don't have).. Since they're all duplicates for the healer role I figured I'll just keep leveling Aerith.

I started leveling Yda and Vivi together so they're a little lower level, and I don't have the crystals for them (but have a lot of the generic ones from doing events)

So is it pretty common to have an imbalance of levels like that?
I still don't seem to have much trouble working my way through the dungeons despite having my main 3 at 50+ and the other 2 at 3x. Since I'm not having too much trouble clearing those is it a good idea to fill my last spot (using Vivi atm) with a character to level up?
I've even been considering scrapping having a BLM type role, seems relatively weak compared to the melee characters. Basically I auto through the dungeons then manually fight the boss without much of an issue, but BLM kind of seems a bit limited outside of elemental vulnerabilities.

So I'm slowly upgrading my abilities to 4* and I wasn't quite sure what to do here too. So basically I have both magic and mental breakdown, but still using power and defense break. I have the mats to make either of the breakdown versions of those, but is it better to have a 4x break, or going for a 2x breakdown?
I wouldn't have the mats to hone any of the breakdowns.

Any tips/advice is much appreciated!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Do you have a relic for Vivi? Either way, he's worth leveling to 50 to get his record materia, Devotion (and XP, among all commodities in the game, is very cheap in the long run). That said, black mages will take a lot of orbs and honing to come into their own, and your current relic spread doesn't really support them, but once they do have the tools they need, they're among the best options in the game. Early on when you're auto-omg dungeons and clobbering bosses with roaming warriors, they're going to feel underwhelming for sure though.

Definitely level Yda, and give her Power Breakdown and Magic Breakdown for great mitigation. If the boss doesn't use physical or magic, drop the appropriate breakdown and give her armor Breakdown instead.

Also, that relic you have for Vanille is *way* better than the one Aeris is carrying - it's one of, if not the best heals in the game. THE SB itself is an instant cast AoE heal, that then changes her attack command to a holy damage spell based on her MND for great damage and her defend command to a weaker spammable AoE heal for about 4-5 rounds. I'd use her or Aeris as a summoner or her as a black Mage/white Mage hybrid and carry both of them until you pick up something better to replace Aeris.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Also, you can get Yda's Memory Crystals from the current Lady of the Vortex event. With the right roaming warrior and a bit of luck you can probably even get her level 65 MC2.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
UrielX you can unlock characters by using a soul of a hero in the Hall of Rites in the Annex. Unlocking Vanille would very much be worth it, that bsb makes her top tier.

UrielX
Jan 4, 2008
I don't have any relics for Vivi. Besides those I have 2x generic swords and 2x daggers (none have any SBs).

I have enough of the character souls where I can unlock Vanille, so I'll definitely switch her into the party. I have a bunch of growth eggs too, but didn't really feel to need to spam them on the other spots i just started leveling (since that didn't really seem to be much of an issue).

I have 12 memory lodes, and 5 MC2 lodes which I can always use if needed.

Right now I don't think I have a single summon. Is it worth starting to make those over a set of elemental strikes?
I do have Analyse 2, so was thinking about making a set of ele strikes for Cloud and popping that onto him.

Yeah I cleared all of the regular section of the Lady of the Vortex, haven't really started on the elite section. Usually I think I can clear the first and second sections of elite without too much trouble (haven't tried on this one yet).

Kain seems to be by far my most powerful character. I put him as my RW and he seems to be getting used a LOT. Dragoon's pride just seems to do a massive amount of damage, and it's AOE too. So I've been using double cut+life siphon on him.

So as far as abilities go, I should always be using the highest level I can (as opposed to having a few more attacks with the lower level)?
I've also been considering breaking down the lower abilities and exchanging the lower level orbs up, is that the right way to be doing it?

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
How good is Warrior of Light's BSB? I picked it up on my dollar pull last night which amused me quite a bit since I had just used a P Cecil/Agrias BSB combo to beat Ultima Weapon and the Torment Dungeons. Now I can have 3 holy knights mete out holy justice.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Geocities Homepage King posted:

How good is Warrior of Light's BSB? I picked it up on my dollar pull last night which amused me quite a bit since I had just used a P Cecil/Agrias BSB combo to beat Ultima Weapon and the Torment Dungeons. Now I can have 3 holy knights mete out holy justice.

Similar to Pencil but single target; the commands are generally not worth using in favor of Saint's Cross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Psychology
Mar 25, 2015
My New Year's resolution was to stop making bad decisions

I think I blew it already

• Locked thread