Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Poor Tokoyami, struggling with his ozoni.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Twibbit posted:

Deku wears sandals for no man or holiday

hey those shoes get votes for a reason

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Poor Tokoyami, struggling with his ozoni.
For some reason I remember Horikoshi pointing out that Tokoyami has to eat like that due to his beak. He will forget stuff like which limb a character is impaled through but seldom seems to forget weird little details like that, or Uraraka only touching stuff with 4/5 fingers or whatever

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fabricated posted:

For some reason I remember Horikoshi pointing out that Tokoyami has to eat like that due to his beak. He will forget stuff like which limb a character is impaled through but seldom seems to forget weird little details like that, or Uraraka only touching stuff with 4/5 fingers or whatever

Not only Uraraka.

Shigaraki, too. Even when he's agitated and choking Midoriya, he makes sure to keep one finger off.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You know, when Midoriya was grabbed by Shigaraki in that scene it seems like he could have done one of his "finger flick shockwave attack" things like he used against Todoroki. It would be easy to conceal, very fast, and would knock Shigaraki away before he could dissolve much/any of his neck. Granted I guess there's the possibility of Shigaraki hanging on even if he gets blown back, though it seems like that would be difficult.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Ytlaya posted:

You know, when Midoriya was grabbed by Shigaraki in that scene it seems like he could have done one of his "finger flick shockwave attack" things like he used against Todoroki. It would be easy to conceal, very fast, and would knock Shigaraki away before he could dissolve much/any of his neck. Granted I guess there's the possibility of Shigaraki hanging on even if he gets blown back, though it seems like that would be difficult.

The next panel is Shigaraki explaining that he would take out as many civilians as possible if Midoriya made a scene.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ytlaya posted:

If Shigaraki touches something, it will disintegrate. He doesn't need constant contact.

It's easy to be confused by this because the first time we see him, he doesn't fully disintegrate Eraserhead. That's only because Aizawa erased his Quirk before he could be killed. Anybody else would have died there.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vengarr posted:

If Shigaraki touches something, it will disintegrate. He doesn't need constant contact.

It's easy to be confused by this because the first time we see him, he doesn't fully disintegrate Eraserhead. That's only because Aizawa erased his Quirk before he could be killed. Anybody else would have died there.

Ahh, drat. That's pretty dangerous, I didn't realize something would just continue disintegrating once he'd touched it with all his fingers.

HellCopter posted:

The next panel is Shigaraki explaining that he would take out as many civilians as possible if Midoriya made a scene.

This wouldn't be as much of a concern, though, since at point-blank range one of those finger flicks would probably wreck Shigaraki (I mean, the shockwave at a distance can destroy Todoroki's ice).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Did that attack ever get a name? If not, I nominate Knuckle Smash

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Rhode Island Smash.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Vengarr posted:

You have proof of disintegration after Shigaraki stops touching an object. Because you could also read that scene as disintegation taking time, and Aizawa erased the Quirk before it could spread too far.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kuroyama posted:

You have proof of disintegration after Shigaraki stops touching an object. Because you could also read that scene as disintegation taking time, and Aizawa erased the Quirk before it could spread too far.

One of the little explanation things stated that is how it works. It takes it's time to spread yes. But it keeps spreading even after he lets go. Aizawa saved himself by erasing Shigaraki's quirk. Cutting off the affected part probably would also work.

According to Shigaraki it takes about a minute to reduce someone to dust with the quirk. But he also confirmed he would be able able to kill about 30 people before anyone stopped him.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Vengarr posted:

Rhode Island Smash.
:golfclap:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

According to Shigaraki it takes about a minute to reduce someone to dust with the quirk. But he also confirmed he would be able able to kill about 30 people before anyone stopped him.

Yeah, the fact that he just has to run around letting his fingers touch people makes his ability a lot more dangerous for the purposes of mass murder (and just close-range combat in general) than I previously thought.

Speaking of his ability, if he touches someone's clothes will it continue through to disintegrate their body? If not, it seems like just wearing multiple layers would be an effective anti-Shigaraki defense.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

I'd wager your body reaches "incompatible with life" stage long before it reaches the "reduced completely to dust" stage

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Kuroyama posted:

I think it was confirmed in the Villain info book.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HenryEx posted:

I'd wager your body reaches "incompatible with life" stage long before it reaches the "reduced completely to dust" stage

I dunno, if he touches your feet and the disintegration moved upward, I imagine you would last most of the minute until actually dying.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

I dunno, if he touches your feet and the disintegration moved upward, I imagine you would last most of the minute until actually dying.

:rolleyes:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
ok i'll bite:

Even the obvious aside, this being that the only one he's ever likely to grab by the feet is Deku (and i doubt he could intercept his kicks), it doesn't matter much.

So either his ability is some kind of mind-boggingly obtuse magical expanding force field starting from the point of contact, which has extremely narrowly defined target applications so it only disintegrates what he touched and not things near it made of the same stuff, like other people, and follows around at an arbitrarily distanced point in relation to the target in case it moves during disintegration...
Or it could be something simple like an "infection" that spreads through the target matter as it destroys it. Probably still with narrowly defined target parameters, to be fair, unless touching someone who disintegrates makes it jump over to you, which i doubt.
Now, even if starting at the ankles and spreading at a constant pace, your disintegrating blood would still get circulated up your body at a faster rate than the rest of your tissue can fall apart, spreading to the surrounding organs higher up in your body and dusting you up from within much faster than the outward appearance would make you think. Probably not in record time, but considering being in a life and death situation is probably going to accelerate your pulse, i'd say you're likely to suffer organ failure after like half a minute at best. Even if it's stopped halfway through, without immediate help you're left in an extremely hosed up state. Suffering his little trick for more than a few seconds is probably a death sentence in all but the name.

What i'm saying is: stay away from the hands, kids

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ If it passed through the blood I think Eraserhead would have been pretty hosed up, because it was clearly actively for at least a heartbeat's worth of time.

The fact that merely making contact causes stuff to disintegrate until it's gone really raises the tier of his quirk quite a lot; it's basically a "die if I touch you quirk (that can also do handy stuff like destroy inanimate objects/materials)" which is kind of ridiculous. I hadn't really considered him that threatening before because I assumed he had to keep touching you for a while to do damage. I mean, he's still weak against long-range weapons/quirks, but seeing as most most people don't use guns in this universe that isn't a huge issue.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's not gonna spread very far if it only gets at like capillaries under the surface skin instead of a major vein, where a good sized portion of disintegrating blood would get pumped a good way through the body. Since it works from the surface down, it's not gonna travel very far for the first few seconds. Eraserhead only had very short contact with it, so he's pretty much fine.
Mostly it's probs because Horikoshi didn't think too deeply into it tho, which is also fine.

Thought experiments like this are still fun, because after writing up the post above, i also found that i suddenly had a lot more respect for how deadly it is.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

PMush Perfect posted:

Did that attack ever get a name? If not, I nominate Knuckle Smash

It was the Delaware Smash, seriously.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ If it passed through the blood I think Eraserhead would have been pretty hosed up, because it was clearly actively for at least a heartbeat's worth of time.

The fact that merely making contact causes stuff to disintegrate until it's gone really raises the tier of his quirk quite a lot; it's basically a "die if I touch you quirk (that can also do handy stuff like destroy inanimate objects/materials)" which is kind of ridiculous. I hadn't really considered him that threatening before because I assumed he had to keep touching you for a while to do damage. I mean, he's still weak against long-range weapons/quirks, but seeing as most most people don't use guns in this universe that isn't a huge issue.

Yeah, while he's still beatable, the fact that his touch is a death sentence makes him a lot more terrifying than I previously though; even if you beat him, one slip up and you're going to die anyway. It hugely complicates fighting him if you don't have range. Combined with him being a lot more physically capable than you may expect (USJ showed this well; he was able to fight with Aizawa, and he was fast when he was going to kill Tsuyu before All Might showed up) and actually being fairly clever (again, USJ had him figuring out Aizawa's limitations fairly easily, and he masterminded the camp attack) and he's actually pretty threatening, particularly now that he's growing beyond being a manchild who just wants to gently caress things up.

HenryEx posted:

It's not gonna spread very far if it only gets at like capillaries under the surface skin instead of a major vein, where a good sized portion of disintegrating blood would get pumped a good way through the body. Since it works from the surface down, it's not gonna travel very far for the first few seconds. Eraserhead only had very short contact with it, so he's pretty much fine.
Mostly it's probs because Horikoshi didn't think too deeply into it tho, which is also fine.

Thought experiments like this are still fun, because after writing up the post above, i also found that i suddenly had a lot more respect for how deadly it is.

When it comes to blood, it probably just destroys the blood cells before it can spread through the body through them, I would figure. They're, you know, individual cells; they probably disintegrate immediately. This would allow it to spread directly from the touched area without being some magical "field" or whatever like you were talking about earlier.

Though, yeah, it's also somewhat likely Horikoshi just didn't think about the exact mechanics of how it spreads; he puts a lot of thought into the quirks, but there's still a lot of "magic" to them. I mean, things like Uraraka's quirk or Shinsou's are nearly magic themselves, so Shigaraki's spreading through a person's body but not being infectious or whatever because that's how it works wouldn't surprise me. Or particularly bother me really; stuff like that is just the kind of story this is, and that's not a bad thing.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 5, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, while he's still beatable, the fact that his touch is a death sentence makes him a lot more terrifying than I previously though; even if you beat him, one slip up and you're going to die anyway. It hugely complicates fighting him if you don't have range. Combined with him being a lot more physically capable than you may expect (USJ showed this well; he was able to fight with Aizawa, and he was fast when he was going to kill Tsuyu before All Might showed up) and actually being fairly clever (again, USJ had him figuring out Aizawa's limitations fairly easily, and he masterminded the camp attack) and he's actually pretty threatening, particularly now that he's growing beyond being a manchild who just wants to gently caress things up.

Yeah, but - all that being said - unless he gets a power-up at some point Deku is going to end up having an easy time with him once he gets close to All Might power (if for no other reason than the fact that All Might can easily handle people with normal strength with his shock-waves alone). I'm also not sure how in the world he would fight someone like Todoroki, who seems kinda impossible to deal with if you don't either have superhuman strength/speed or something that directly counters his abilities (the disintegration wouldn't deal with ice fast enough to do much other than prevent him from getting trapped, and wouldn't do anything against fire).

Has it ever been confirmed that the disintegration is his quirk and that he doesn't have some weird thing that lets him use the quirks of people whose hands he possesses or something? I want to say it has (and we've never seen him use anything else), but I can't think of when.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, but - all that being said - unless he gets a power-up at some point Deku is going to end up having an easy time with him once he gets close to All Might power (if for no other reason than the fact that All Might can easily handle people with normal strength with his shock-waves alone). I'm also not sure how in the world he would fight someone like Todoroki, who seems kinda impossible to deal with if you don't either have superhuman strength/speed or something that directly counters his abilities (the disintegration wouldn't deal with ice fast enough to do much other than prevent him from getting trapped, and wouldn't do anything against fire).

Has it ever been confirmed that the disintegration is his quirk and that he doesn't have some weird thing that lets him use the quirks of people whose hands he possesses or something? I want to say it has (and we've never seen him use anything else), but I can't think of when.

Hands appear to have been souvenirs from people he has disintegrated.

Roland Jones posted:

His cleverness is actually a point about him. The databook stated him out at.

Power 2/5 D
Speed 5/5 A
Technique 5/5 A
Intelligence 5/5 A
Cooperativeness 2/5 D

Noting that his high intelligence. (Higher then anyone else in the League of Villains including Kurogiri.) was greatly limited by his temper and immaturity.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
The classic superpower thing to do with shigaraki is make his powers more abstract. Like, instead of just disintegration on touch It's really some sort of Death Field which he can expand and concentrate, and moves like a plague. Say he did some quirk training or something

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Saw this in my feed and couldn't help but remember this thread.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
:iiam:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hands appear to have been souvenirs from people he has disintegrated.

Yikes, I wonder if that disqualifies him from a redemption arc, since usually villains who get those never succeed in directly killing anyone (even if they've tried to) and the ones who do redeem themselves do so in a way that involves sacrificing themselves for the greater good. Normally I wouldn't even bring up the topic, but given he's the son of All Might's predecessor I can't imagine they're not going to try and give him some sort of redemption at some point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the most famous and influential redemption arc in shonen involved a guy who had been annihilating planets for over a decade and whose first major onscreen action was killing his own sidekick

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Endorph posted:

the most famous and influential redemption arc in shonen involved a guy who had been annihilating planets for over a decade and whose first major onscreen action was killing his own sidekick

Okay you have a point there, though those were impersonal deaths and DBZ seems to take murder more lightly than MHA.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I dunno I haven't seen Deku stay on a planet that's about to explode just so that he can punish and ensure the death of the dude who killed his rad best buddy.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Shigaraki... you were the coolest guy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
What happens if he touches the ground?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ytlaya posted:

Okay you have a point there, though those were impersonal deaths and DBZ seems to take murder more lightly than MHA.

I don't see what's so bad about sending people to another dimension.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Endorph posted:

Also Orochimaru got away with basically everything he ever did over the course of the series.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

What happens if he touches the ground?

his touch definitely has a radius as i believe the school gate wasn't completely disappeared

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fabricated posted:

Also Orochimaru got away with basically everything he ever did over the course of the series.

he died, no double jeapordy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Elfgames posted:

his touch definitely has a radius as i believe the school gate wasn't completely disappeared

The way UA's dumb gate worked is that it slammed down in individual sections, like the I-blocks in Tetris for some reason. Shiggy disintegrated most of those sections while leaving a few intact.