Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Palladium posted:

Besides like the 7700K, how much OC can you realistically get for a K-chip that is already at base 4.2GHz....maybe 10%?

I would rather see a AMD branded i5-K Haswell at <$150 but I'm not holding my breath for that either.

I'm skeptical that AMD will manage to get to i5-4690K single threaded speed, and it's OK if they're not quite there if they're selling $300 8 cores. The 5960X isn't quite at 4690K single threaded speed, even!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Gwaihir posted:

Anand's sample was reportedly middling and their non-AVX OC topped out at 4.9ghz before voltage and heat got to be too much for their cooling. So like 14% ish.

Yeeeaaahhhh... :sigh:

The most I ever got out of my 2500K without stress-inducing voltages was 42. One multiplier tick over what a locked 2500 could get on this board. Then again I clearly lost the lottery on it.

Palladium posted:

Besides like the 7700K, how much OC can you realistically get for a K-chip that is already at base 4.2GHz....maybe 10%?

I would rather see a AMD branded i5-K Haswell at <$150 but I'm not holding my breath for that either.

AMD even slightly undercutting them, even with Sandy Bridge IPC and current-ish instruction sets, would light a fire under Intel's rear end - but Intel might just settle for getting burnt given the state they're in.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 3, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

dont be mean to me posted:

AMD even slightly undercutting them, even with Sandy Bridge IPC and current-ish instruction sets, would light a fire under Intel's rear end - but Intel might just settle for getting burnt given the state they're in.

I don't really see why this would happen. (Intel suddenly being a lot more driven, that is). There would have to be a major win for the mobile market to make an impact. Like if their top end significantly undercuts the 1000$ Extreme Edition CPU (it almost assuredly will), then great, all 10 people that buy those will swap brands. But that's not anything like enough to change a company the size of Intel's priorities or pricing strategy.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

I don't really see why this would happen. (Intel suddenly being a lot more driven, that is). There would have to be a major win for the mobile market to make an impact. Like if their top end significantly undercuts the 1000$ Extreme Edition CPU (it almost assuredly will), then great, all 10 people that buy those will swap brands. But that's not anything like enough to change a company the size of Intel's priorities or pricing strategy.

It's all about server chips, right? AMD wants to bring the fight to the E5/E7 Xeons, and probably just like the last time they were competitive they can sell quad socket SKUs at 2 socket prices.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, if they can scale core counts and put out a good supporting platform that would move the dial.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Gwaihir posted:

If past 10 years of AMD launch prices is of any indication, they will bite the heels of Intel pricing even if they had the clearly inferior chip.

If Zen is the Broadwell IPC savior like the fanboys craved, we can pretty much write off any meaningful price war with Intel.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 3, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Twerk from Home posted:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10959/intel-launches-7th-generation-kaby-lake-i7-7700k-i5-7600k-i3-7350k

Anandtech's article is up, although their quality has gone way down since Anand left.

The last page wraps up points on how Kaby literally isn't a performance king but rather at best technically the peak performer, maybe, if you get a good die and have a lot of money to spend frequently. Being barely on top does not a king make.

Then this shows up in the conclusion:

quote:

The fact that there’s a new performance champion gives us something to cheer about after the Skylake/Devil’s Canyon discussion is a plus for enthusiasts with a short upgrade cycle.

Anandtech used to give a good cost-benefit bottom line in their conclusion, but this is all wet noodle. I mean, yes, technically, press buttan on Kaby for literally the absolute top. But as this thread's last few pages point out, why would you if you are a real human with real problems?

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 3, 2017

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

What is Optane? Using an nvme ssd for caching?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

VulgarandStupid posted:

AKA 3D Xpoint. It's a new thing that falls between SSD and DRAM.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Professor Science posted:

eh? are you talking about the calling convention? because you definitely don't have to push/pop all registers on every function call (caller vs callee saved regs, liveness analysis)

I thought that was pretty clear talking about caller/callee, was there something incorrect about "if you actually want to use them" conditional?

I understand I work in a niche area but more registers are so often pitched as a panacea and I rarely see the tradeoffs actually examined. Renaming gets around most of the OoO bottlenecks, conventions mean memory hits are often incurred on usage indirectly. Like is there a particular workload that always benefits? Anything computationally heavy gets memory-bound anyway.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rastor posted:

AKA 3D Xpoint. It's a new thing that falls between SSD and DRAM.

And seems to become more like SSDs/Standard NAND than DRAM by the day.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

All our memristor dreams, like dust in the wind.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

VulgarandStupid posted:

A new memory/storage technology from Intel/Micron, far faster/lower latencies than current SSDs.
This was a prototype demo from a while back:

That's 3 times the throughput performance at 1 tenth the latency vs Intel's current high end PCIe ssd.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

JayzTwoCents must have gotten a golden sample, he's got his 7700k running stable at 5GHz using an old H100i for cooling.

So did PC Perspective.

quote:

The screenshot above shows our Core i7-7700K running on all cores at 5.1 GHz at 1.375v during a run of POV-Ray, after completing a solid hour of stability testing. That is 600 MHz faster than the stock Turbo clock rate and a good 300-400 MHz faster than I have been able to reliably run at on my various Core i7-6700K parts over the last year. Temperatures on the CPU (based on readings from the ASUS AI Suite III software) never exceeded 70C while using a Corsair H100i GTX AIO cooler.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If it was running at only 70 (under water, granted) then that should make for really good temps de-lidded. If it's similar to plain old Skylake under the hood, that is.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Ars also got a hand-picked 5ghz sample

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/01/intel-core-i7-7700k-kaby-lake-review/

Also the title of their article (paraphrased) "why bother?" Personally, I'm annoyed there isn't even native USB 3.1 type-c on the chipset. Ugh.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 3, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

PerrineClostermann posted:

And seems to become more like SSDs/Standard NAND than DRAM by the day.

Rastor posted:

All our memristor dreams, like dust in the wind.

It seems waaaaaay to early to make these sorts of judgments, at least wait until there are some products out.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

MaxxBot posted:

It seems waaaaaay to early to make these sorts of judgments, at least wait until there are some products out.

Eh. I don't remember working Memristor samples being shown publically. If Intel/Micron are showing this off, it's much closer to reality than previous concepts.

Also, a few pages ago people were talking about Intel and their short lived idea of selling cards that would unlock better performance. I'm pretty certain it was exclusively for OEM Pentium models and the unlock was for more clock speed. Not any additional cores or HT functionality.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Optane has been discussed in the SSD thread, and the marketing material gets less and less hopeful every time it comes out.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

PerrineClostermann posted:

Optane has been discussed in the SSD thread, and the marketing material gets less and less hopeful every time it comes out.

Intel seems to be advertising it as being the solution for everyone's problems, so it's only a matter of time before RAMBUS sues them since saving the world through memory and storage technology is *their* job. They have several patents and if you'd just look right here, judge...

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 3, 2017

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

incoherent posted:

Ars also got a hand-picked 5ghz sample

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/01/intel-core-i7-7700k-kaby-lake-review/

Also the title of their article (paraphrased) "why bother?" Personally, I'm annoyed there isn't even native USB 3.1 type-c on the chipset. Ugh.

What I find odd is they get to 5Ghz on the chip, but have to pull the RAM timings and speed to keep it stable which of course makes it almost a wash/whats the point.

Though if the H100i GTX is capable of keeping this thing cool without a delid, drat I need to upgrade from my OG H100 for my 3930K. Things still good at encoding near 100% at just around 70C at times, but I'd like to loose 5C or so on that.

Really do hope AMD can present something as everything at Intel seems to be really stagnant and lacking any sort of drive.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

If anybody's looking for the bright side of this launch, it's that Pentiums picked up hyper-threading and have the full media capabilities. $60 chip with 4 threads and native 4K HEVC and VP9 decode? Don't mind if I do.

This is going really far down the codec details rabbit hole, but I'm very curious to see how software encoded h264 looks vs hardware encoded HEVC.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Twerk from Home posted:

Anandtech's article is up, although their quality has gone way down since Anand left.

Are there any greener-pasture tech sites? I used to frequent anandtech and guru3d, but the latter slowed down a ton. Same with [H]ardcop.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Dali Parton posted:

Are there any greener-pasture tech sites? I used to frequent anandtech and guru3d, but the latter slowed down a ton. Same with [H]ardcop.

Techpowerup does a decent job.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-09/how-intel-makes-a-chip

There's a cool article that's new to me, about Intel's manufacturing and design process.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Dali Parton posted:

RealWorldTech's forums are still pretty good. Kanter's day job at Microprocessor Review pretty much killed time for all his articles, though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

Also, another interesting part of the equation is that Intel CEO Brian Krzanich said a couple years ago that for each mobile device sold Intel is selling several more CPUs to support the services that phone consumes. It's kind of sobering how inefficient the software produced by the software industry is when each user's impact upon a backend is that massive.
I always felt this was a marketing statement to assuage investors. Email and Facebook existed before 2010. I don't really see any CPU-heavy stuff that's mobile exclusive. Just things like instagram which is mostly storage.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

necrobobsledder posted:

Also, another interesting part of the equation is that Intel CEO Brian Krzanich said a couple years ago that for each mobile device sold Intel is selling several more CPUs to support the services that phone consumes. It's kind of sobering how inefficient the software produced by the software industry is when each user's impact upon a backend is that massive.
Are you sure you're not thinking of an Otellini investor call quote that pegged the ratio at 1 server per 600 smartphones/120 tablets? Given the relevant ASP's & profit margins, the way Intel tells it they're winning.

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't really see any CPU-heavy stuff that's mobile exclusive. Just things like instagram which is mostly storage.
lol

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Optane is gonna be the same old thing again: Pretty synthetic benchmarks, but does next to nothing over modern SATA SSDs for 99.9% of people.

EdEddnEddy posted:

What I find odd is they get to 5Ghz on the chip, but have to pull the RAM timings and speed to keep it stable which of course makes it almost a wash/whats the point.

Every old guard reviewer is suffering from post 2011 chronic CPU Stockholm Syndrome that they that have find their darndest to praise Intel's new stuff no matter how contrived the advantages they bring are.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Twerk from Home posted:

I guess what's implied is that any specific user doesn't see many failures, but if radiation-related memory bit flips are really that common you're making an argument for using ECC in more places for sure.

If it was supported on Intel's consumer platforms, would we be recommending people spend the 20% more on RAM to have ECC?
The bit flips aren't from radiation. Cosmic ray bit flips are rare. Bit flips are overwhelmingly weak DRAM cells--you see bit flips in the same cells every time due to sudden voltage changes or repeated writes to neighboring cells (basically rowhammering yourself inadvertently via a normal workload) or something like that.

ECC isn't free, and I'm really not sure it's worth the power hit in mobile for the next few years (additional DRAM to have in self-refresh during suspend would hurt).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Professor Science posted:

ECC isn't free, and I'm really not sure it's worth the power hit in mobile for the next few years (additional DRAM to have in self-refresh during suspend would hurt).

Write the parity bits to flash; check integrity after waking.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
7600K vs 6600K vs 2500K in gaming.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

I assume its going to be the same as every other review, in that they are essentially, very slightly marginally better than Skylake 6700k/6600k? If not performing practically the same?

I really really am disappointed with Intel because I've been hoping to upgrade from my i7 2600k, but I really don't see a reason to yet.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 4, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The massive RAM speed increase combined with the CPU significantly raises the minimum FPS/reduces stuttery frame times, even if max FPS doesn't go up all that much (Since that part is still down to your GPU at the resolutions any of us play at).

Especially so if you're still using DDR3 1333 or 1600 on the Sandy Bridge system- That review comparison is using maxxed out DDR3 2133.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
So my ancient Core 2 Quad box from like 10 years ago died. It was my old desktop repurposed as a Plex server. My current desktop is an Ivy Bridge 3570K overclocked to like 4.2 GHz with 16 gigs of ram and a GeForce GTX 670. I'm debating on whether I should just build myself a new Kaby Lake desktop for my main rig and retire my Ivy Bridge rig to become my new Plex server. Does that sound like a not terrible idea?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Huge_Midget posted:

So my ancient Core 2 Quad box from like 10 years ago died. It was my old desktop repurposed as a Plex server. My current desktop is an Ivy Bridge 3570K overclocked to like 4.2 GHz with 16 gigs of ram and a GeForce GTX 670. I'm debating on whether I should just build myself a new Kaby Lake desktop for my main rig and retire my Ivy Bridge rig to become my new Plex server. Does that sound like a not terrible idea?

Just wanted to say that components from those Core 2 boxes were rated for 10 year lifespan and here we are. Kind of neat.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Huge_Midget posted:

I have basically that exact same computer with a modern graphics card and although I really really want to replace it because its case is enormous, I can't come up with any possible justification to do so. There's just not really any benefit to Kaby Lake for a desktop over Sandy Bridge, let alone Ivy Bridge.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
And Microcenter has stopped the $179.99 6600k + $30 off a mobo with it :rip:

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

evilweasel posted:

I have basically that exact same computer with a modern graphics card and although I really really want to replace it because its case is enormous, I can't come up with any possible justification to do so. There's just not really any benefit to Kaby Lake for a desktop over Sandy Bridge, let alone Ivy Bridge.

If it were just me wanting to upgrade over Ivy Bridge, yeah I agree 100% that it wouldn't be worth it. But the Plex server's sudden absence has got my wife breathing down my neck to get a replacement up and running, and I figure hey why not it might be a good excuse to get a new desktop out of it. As long as I keep it under $2000 she doesn't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Huge_Midget posted:

If it were just me wanting to upgrade over Ivy Bridge, yeah I agree 100% that it wouldn't be worth it. But the Plex server's sudden absence has got my wife breathing down my neck to get a replacement up and running, and I figure hey why not it might be a good excuse to get a new desktop out of it. As long as I keep it under $2000 she doesn't care.

That sounds like overkill, I'm happily running a Plex server on a Haswell NUC that I got refurb for $140, or you could do something cool and build a FreeNAS box to be the Plex server and also have a really fully featured NAS.