Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Potato Salad posted:

Huh.

Going back a few pages later, it turns out Muut wasn't simply reserved when Kat scolded him for leaving Annie to cross her mother over, he was petrified in fear:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=531

(or at least that's how I want to read it now)
I don't know which I like better about this interpretation: the image of Muut being lightly bopped by a giant mechanical insect angel thing, or Muut's complete non-reaction earlier to Annie introducing her good friend GODMACHINE, ARCHITECT OF THE ROBOT ASCENSION.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's also possible that Kat's etheric presence wasn't fully developed/manifested yet. Or Muut just didn't care - psychopomps probably see some weird poo poo.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Pretty sure by this point that both Annie and Kat are going to become psychopomps: Kat the guide of robots, and Annie the guide of restless spirits. Both gathering the souls that the other 'pomps can't.

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

Podima posted:

It's also possible that Kat's etheric presence wasn't fully developed/manifested yet. Or Muut just didn't care - psychopomps probably see some weird poo poo.

I'm pretty sure Muut has Seen Some poo poo...

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mirage posted:

Pretty sure by this point that both Annie and Kat are going to become psychopomps: Kat the guide of robots, and Annie the guide of restless spirits. Both gathering the souls that the other 'pomps can't.

This needs to be turned into a movie trailer, stat!

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Still waiting for the Tic Tocks.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
drat this guy is a real looker, I can tell why Jeanne fell for him!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"YOU'RE STEALIN MY BOYFRIEND!"

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I did not expect this arc to end with Jeanne making the Pickle Inspector face, but here we are.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hey, it's that guy!

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[JEANNE looks over at SMITTY's dead body, being clutched by a weeping PARLEY]

JEANNE: Oh... sorry.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hey bae :cool:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's gettin all fleshy

Also Annie might have to pull triple psychopomp duties at the end of this chapter. :ohdear:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
"Hey babe how was your day? Sorry I have a bit of work to finish. I'll be there in a minute, love."

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

In his hand... what's this? It's a note from Dr. Disaster!!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
And the elf zombie looked down at Annie and said, "I need about three fiddy."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
*bips her nose* Made you look!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Is he gonna be holding Jeanne's goddamn heart? Is that why Jeanne is such a bitch?

Edit: Smitty is gonna get to hang around like mort!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Demiurge4 posted:

Is he gonna be holding Jeanne's goddamn heart? Is that why Jeanne is such a bitch?

Edit: Smitty is gonna get to hang around like mort!

You mean he will go to the same place he went. Off to the ether.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is he about to defeat Jeanne with the power of jealously

That is beautiful

Edit - wait, holy poo poo, is he regenerating?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it turns out annie forgot that the forest holds an entire species of magic wolverine x-men

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

Is he about to defeat Jeanne with the power of jealously

That is beautiful

Maybe? It doesn't look like he is to me personally. Maybe his hand is slightly less skeletal between this page and last page.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's definitely puttin meat on those bones. He was all boney on the riverbed, and as he rises there's lots of visible bone (shield your eyes children!) and that's all covered up and his virile head of hair returns.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

EmmyOk posted:

Maybe? It doesn't look like he is to me personally. Maybe his hand is slightly less skeletal between this page and last page.

Nah, compare to this page where he is literally just a bonepile.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Potato Salad posted:

with a last glorious burst of his power, smitty ensured a sufficiently lush bed of seaweed entangled itself with the skull, so jeanne would recognise her undead lover rather than going "who's this douchebag"

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
He's holding the part of the blade that would have penetrated Smitty had it not teleported to his hand.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

He's helping :)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ted Danson from Creepshow is just here to kill Leslie Nielsen, this is totally unrelated to what's going on.

Crazedscot
May 1, 2007

I love you smug fox
My first thought was whatever he's holding in his hand will be used to save Smitty somehow, then Annie sees him and Jeanne off to the ether, happy endings all round.

On the other hand, perhaps he's handing what was supposed to be a symbol of love for Jeanne to Annie instead, for freeing him and who knows what effect that will have on Jeanne's murderghost rage.

Christ, I don't know why I'm putting any thought into this at all. I'm a grown man.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Crazedscot posted:

My first thought was whatever he's holding in his hand will be used to save Smitty somehow, then Annie sees him and Jeanne off to the ether, happy endings all round.

On the other hand, perhaps he's handing what was supposed to be a symbol of love for Jeanne to Annie instead, for freeing him and who knows what effect that will have on Jeanne's murderghost rage.

Christ, I don't know why I'm putting any thought into this at all. I'm a grown man.

lol

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Crazedscot posted:

Or maybe he gets that Annie's a part-time psychopomp and is holding his hand to be taken (into the ether).

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lunar Suite posted:

Or maybe he gets that Annie's a part-time psychopomp and is holding his hand to be taken (into the ether).

She is the forest medium after all.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Is this where Jeanne gets to go to the ether with Elfboi but then Parley turns into a hateghost and takes her place because her boyfriend got merked too?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That guy

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Glagha posted:

Is this where Jeanne gets to go to the ether with Elfboi but then Parley turns into a hateghost and takes her place because her boyfriend got merked too?

Coyote's tooth is a still a huge loving Chekhov's gun looming over the chapter.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Then she will be a hate ghost with a cut everything sword. I'm sure this will have no repercussions. (I am waiting anxiously to see how the tooth fits in)

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I wouldn't really say it is looming that hard. It has already fired once. That's how we have a 3D Shadow.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I just thought he was holding his hand out because he wants the arrow back.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paul.Power posted:

I just thought he was holding his hand out because he wants the arrow back.

Naw, Kat saw he'd been gripping something under the shackles all this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Jeanne maybe could be placated by elfboy. So...

Is Parley going to cut elfboy in half with Coyote's tooth?