Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Genocyber posted:

The way armor works in that game is that you get a flat reduction to damage for having a piece of armor equipped in a slot, and then a percentage reduction based off of the defense of each equipped piece. The flat reduction is far more effective at reducing damage than the percentage reduction, so simply having armor equipped in each slot, even if it's some rags that give basically no defense, does a lot to mitigate damage. Meanwhile the percentage reduction is only really noticeable with the heaviest of armor sets that nigh on guarantee you'll have a poo poo roll

Aw poo poo, I was hoping I could drop the helmet without a big reduction, but seems that won't fly the way it works then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

If you want the visual effect of dropping the helmet without the defense loss, try the pyromancer's crown. It's very non-intrusive.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

I think this is an apt description for every game in the series.

Oh sure, but you get to Lothric and it's like... dudes turning into zombies into trees? Or trees turning into zombie-dudes? And other zombies praying at/to/near the zombie trees? And there are dragons all over the place, except maybe the dragons are turned into... ash? except when they're not... and every once in a while a dude'll just go BLAAAAM squimy black tentacles all over the place!

What I'm saying is, it take a special kind of genius to top the level of hosed-upedness on display in a place like Yharnam, and drat if From didn't rise to the challenge. :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Black Griffon posted:

Aw poo poo, I was hoping I could drop the helmet without a big reduction, but seems that won't fly the way it works then?

It pretty much doesn't matter either way, it's the difference between dying in 3 hits and dying in 2 hits and a slightly bigger 3rd hit.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
What is better than the washing pole in pvp

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Learning to parry the running attack

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

if its your first playthrough of a souls game just build whatever you feel like, you can beat the game as a noob with perseverance no problem and have a lot more fun doing so than by consulting weird wikis and stat tables.. unless powergaming is the fun part for you, in which case

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Ghost of Starman posted:

Phew... good game so far. Lothric gets my vote for best "okay... what the gently caress happened here?" out of the series so far. :eek:

Took the advice, going Quality. What's a good candidate for an early Raw weapon? I'm thinking Halberd, maybe?

Actually, what is/are the current theory/theories on what happened at Lothric?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Black Griffon posted:

The practical result is that DS3 has the widest choice of armor available for fashion without gimping yourself, and the trade-off is that playing naked or really fat is sub-optimal.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I picked this game up in the Steam sale, and boy the Crucifixion Woods is where the game stops loving around, huh?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Annath posted:

Is it possible to drop weapons or items for people still?

I accidentally traded my Soul of the Blood of the Wolf for Artorias' Sword instead of the Abyss Watchers Sword, so if someone has a Soul they don't want, or Sword, I'd be very grateful.

Quoting this for a new page in case any kind goon can help me out.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Just grab it in new game plus

Serf posted:

I picked this game up in the Steam sale, and boy the Crucifixion Woods is where the game stops loving around, huh?

Yeah I think so, if it ever fucks around. It is certainly a doozy the first time. The crabs are tricky and you won't know how to cheese the two fat guys. And there's like 40 items in the area. Also you're possibly bombarded with pvp

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Annath posted:

Quoting this for a new page in case any kind goon can help me out.

I can help if you're on PC, what's your steam ID if so?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm on PS4 :(

I mean I have the game on PC too, but my guy there is like still in the High Wall. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I wish they brought back the ability to change genders. I don't care if it would make the Anri quest line scewy.

My first character ended up as a bleed build with the Grave warden twin blades, and I want to use the Dancers armor, but it looks super weird on a male frame.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Serf posted:

So did I, and now I'm in the fourth area where I thought this same exact thing.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

AngryBooch posted:

So did I, and now I'm in the fourth area where I thought this same exact thing.

Yeah, considering Iudex and Pus of Man Lothric Knights, Dark Souls 3 doesn't really gently caress around much. I'm not really sure where the "The real Dark Souls starts here" point would be, like Anor Londo in DS1.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Between the hollows with the giant sticks, the huge berserkers and the giant crabs, Crucifixtion Woods is the first place where I feel like the game is really starting to test me. I had challenges on the High Wall and in the Undead Settlement sure, but the Woods have been a nightmare so far. Especially the crabs.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah it took a while for me to figure out the crabs. But once I learned about critical attacks on them they became easier.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Where's a good place to get large shards? I took my Zwei to +3 but I guess now I need large shards.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
My first playthrough was pretty much smooth sailing until i ran into the Watchers, and after them things went great until i ran into the Dragon Armor, which somehow gave me more trouble than the last boss. Also nameless king, predictably. Of course all of those were incredibly fun fights and are still some of my favorites in the series.

Of the actual areas very few seemed as actively hostile as stuff i liked in DS2, although the area after using the doll to open the bridge gate is pretty mean the first time blind (and downright impossible when embered), the giant swamp crabs are jerks, some of the garden enemies i still hate.

but of course those difficulty spikes are always incredibly subjective and build/playstyle dependent and my buddy who couldn't beat the tree boss for days aced the watchers first try.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I was having issues with the rock lizards blocking my path yesterday in the peak until I figured out they just roll off cliffs if you hit them from afar.

Dancer was the only real big road block in my playthrough so far.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Annath posted:

Where's a good place to get large shards? I took my Zwei to +3 but I guess now I need large shards.

The game is pretty good about keeping you from sequence breaking and getting upgrade materials you shouldnt have yet. You can get some from one off sources but the best way to get large shards is to just progress in the game, youll be drowning in them once the game says youre ready for them.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Iretep posted:

The game is pretty good about keeping you from sequence breaking and getting upgrade materials you shouldnt have yet. You can get some from one off sources but the best way to get large shards is to just progress in the game, youll be drowning in them once the game says youre ready for them.

If you kill Dancer early (like when you're at +3 or +4) you can get past Oceiros and into Archdragon Peak. Lots of that area is pretty easy to skip through or cheese some enemies to get a bunch of late-game upgrade materials. You can run through all of the Ancient Dragon fight too and make the dragon kill a lot of the snakemen for easy materials.

And yeah, playstyle and build play a huge part of difficulty in Dark Souls. Dragonslayer Armor wasn't very hard on my shieldless naked greatweapon build, but Oceiros was pretty hard. On my paladin playthrough, Dragonslayer Armor was a nightmare, but Oceiros was a joke. Using projectiles on Nameless King and Dancer also made those fights a lot easier than they were previously, and as far as I've seen, throwing Great Chaos Fire Orbs or whatever at anything nearly trivializes the entire game from once you get it. The main thing is having "the right" playstyle, which is being patient, studying your enemy, and never overextending with an extra hit, which is something I never do, and therefore die dozens of times to things I know I could have avoided.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Maleh-Vor posted:

If you kill Dancer early (like when you're at +3 or +4) you can get past Oceiros and into Archdragon Peak. Lots of that area is pretty easy to skip through or cheese some enemies to get a bunch of late-game upgrade materials. You can run through all of the Ancient Dragon fight too and make the dragon kill a lot of the snakemen for easy materials.

You can't actually get to Archdragon Peak until Irythyll Dungeon. Beating Oceiros only gives you the gesture.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Annath posted:

Trading a firebomb to the crows and scaring the dragon away (get him to ~25% hp with spells or a bow and ~100 arrows) at high wall of lothric gives you enough shards to get to +4. For +5 you'll need to clear catabombs (2 shards from the giants) and farron keep (2 shards on the lizards on top of the bridge), +6/+7 you can get at smouldering lake with the help of a black firebomb trade to the crows and the rest you'll have to finish at Lothric Castle.

Smol fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 4, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Dragonslayer is such a brick wall for me. Phantoms are less than useless against him usually.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
It's my first time through the game and I was laying down my soapstone at Vordt, like literally 10 ft from the fogwall, and people would continually summon me to fight Dancer. I didn't crystal out because I wanted these numb shits to make it harder on themselves for no reason.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

the giant crabs have killed me hundreds of times. but I figured out if you just roll at them and to the right, then start bashing with a blunt weapon they go down really fast. when they get tired and slump over you can crit them by bashing them in the face

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Dragonslayer is such a brick wall for me. Phantoms are less than useless against him usually.

Eygon DESTROYS Dragonslayer Armor (in NG).

Seriously, that fucker can tank everything except the giant dark death ball thing from the pilgrims, and I'm pretty sure he did more damage to it than Sirri and I did combined (Dex build).

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Just grab it in new game plus

Yeah I think so, if it ever fucks around. It is certainly a doozy the first time. The crabs are tricky and you won't know how to cheese the two fat guys. And there's like 40 items in the area. Also you're possibly bombarded with pvp

The fat guys (Exiles) can be tricky because there's two and they're fairly relentless, and the one can cast healing miracles if given the slightest chance. A good, pain free way to kill them is to run into their little keep and try to get them to fall down the ladder chute. If you start climbing down and descend a very short distance, they will try to swing and hit you, and usually overshoot and fall to their deaths. You can suffer the same fate easily if hit while climbing, so equipping a fast weapon like a longsword can stun and knockback one of them.

Works for NPC invaders fairly well too.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I thought they were PvP invaders so I fought them like that and won

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Paracelsus posted:

You can't actually get to Archdragon Peak until Irythyll Dungeon. Beating Oceiros only gives you the gesture.

True. You can still reach the Garden, Lothric Castle up to Dragonslayer Armor, and the Untended Graves, though, which all have plenty of stuff in them if you want it early, even if they're not as easy a route.

My paladin tried to kill Dancer a bunch at +3, gave up, then basically went Crucifixion Woods -> Cathedral -> Farron Swamp -> Catacombs -> Irithyll right into the dungeon for Archdragon Peak, so he could have the Dragonslayer Swordspear through a lot more of the game, including Pontiff, since you don't need to kill him to reach the dungeons.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

AlternateNu posted:

Eygon DESTROYS Dragonslayer Armor (in NG).

Seriously, that fucker can tank everything except the giant dark death ball thing from the pilgrims, and I'm pretty sure he did more damage to it than Sirri and I did combined (Dex build).

Sirris is pointless in that fight. I summoned her once, she got stuck in a combo and died without even giving me openings to attack since Dragonslayer loves his wide swings.

Maleh-Vor fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 4, 2017

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah Sirris & Eygon were useful for tanking him but not much else. Vordt's giant frost mace was the mvp of that fight for me.

DXH
Dec 8, 2003

Ne Cede Malis

Black Griffon posted:

Yo I think this ended up working for me in regards to nVidia and freezing.

I've had recurring problems with two different generations of nvidia cards (960 and 770) and they only thing that works for me consistently is switching to windowed mode before i hit continue game or new game. once you're into the game proper switch back to whatever resolution you want at full screen; i've had it go without a hitch for 6+ hours while waiting on pvp. ymmv but worth a shot

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

He's got a fair amount of attacks that look safe that he then combos into something else. Try to keep a small amount of distance between him and yourself, as his shield bash is fast and hard to dodge reactively. The big overhead lightning smash is perfectly safe, which is a good opportunity to get on him. During P2, just stick close and only run away to avoid the fireballs, since his air blast is weirdly hard to dodge (and isn't blocked by the fountain, for some loving reason). Always face him down the length of the platform so that you don't get smacked off of it.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
I just picked up Ashes and it's gank squad central. I've managed to avoid spoilers on it so far, or anything really. How is the rest of it?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

beepstreet posted:

Can anyone drop the Shadow set for a new character of mine on PC? It's all the way in the Consumed King's Garden so your run is 75% over by the time it's available. I have it on a higher level character so I can replace it if you want. My steam ID is BOLD FLAVOR

I'm near that area but haven't gone exploring there much yet. So I may be able to help out. Alternatively, I could help transfer that set from your higher level char to your new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Watrick posted:

I just picked up Ashes and it's gank squad central. I've managed to avoid spoilers on it so far, or anything really. How is the rest of it?

It's...fine. Some cool weapons and areas. Kinda short.