Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
PSA: It's Always Sunny season premiere is tonight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RogueTM
Jul 8, 2004

Hmmmmm

Hat Thoughts posted:

Yeah but the thing I was saying earlier is that what you're asking for exactly already exists exactly. I don't understand why it being unofficial/not available for "purchase" somehow makes it less valid when you can still get it super easy.
Like ,yeah, I agree that it's too bad that they didn't officially release a high-res version but who cares, people put in a lot of time and effort and did it themselves and now it's out there. Who cares if it's "unofficial" if it's the exact same thing?

Well, as far as I can see the un-official versions are created from the NTSC Laserdisc, which mean that the source material only has a resolution of 580 × 480 with 268,800 pixels, and no matter how much you polish that it won't ever come close to a blu-ray resolution of 1920 × 1080 with 2,073,600 pixels taken from film.

There's your reason.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The fan restoration of A New Hope is being restored from a 35mm film scan.

Or is it already done? I don't keep up to date with all these fan projects.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ruddiger posted:

The fan restoration of A New Hope is being restored from a 35mm film scan.

Or is it already done? I don't keep up to date with all these fan projects.

The de-specialized editions have been available for awhile, not sure if what you're talking about is different or not.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

RogueTM posted:

Well, as far as I can see the un-official versions are created from the NTSC Laserdisc, which mean that the source material only has a resolution of 580 × 480 with 268,800 pixels, and no matter how much you polish that it won't ever come close to a blu-ray resolution of 1920 × 1080 with 2,073,600 pixels taken from film.

There's your reason.

U gotta see a little farther

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

glam rock hamhock posted:

can't believe the zog lizardmen finally got to John Carpenter :smith:

For a moment I thought this meant he had been shot or something.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Egbert Souse posted:

(If I were a betting man, I'd say we're finally getting at least Star Wars '77 unaltered this year. It's the 40th anniversary and there's a new 4K restoration)

I imagine Disney would have to deliver the biggest dumpster truck full of cash at Fox's front door in order to get that released, though.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Skwirl posted:

The de-specialized editions have been available for awhile, not sure if what you're talking about is different or not.

He's talking about a group that got ahold of a 35mm copy of A New Hope and restored it, and yes it's finished.

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015
Due to a weekend without internet/ a small selection of dvds, I ended up watching the Astronaut Farmer recently. It's a mediocre movie, more of a ham fisted libertarian parable than entertainment, but it ended up being accidentally interesting.

The movie has a lot of "heroic rancher vs the government" imagery, but after seeing the bundy standoff so prominently in the news lately, it was impossible to read those images as anything but rural terrorist endangers his family and radicalizes his children.

I'm fascinated by the way real world events overwhelmed the intended message of the film and sort of reversed it (at least for me), and would definitely be interested in watching movies that were similarly impacted by real world events that happened after the movies were released, if anyone has any suggestions.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

broken sm57 posted:

Due to a weekend without internet/ a small selection of dvds, I ended up watching the Astronaut Farmer recently. It's a mediocre movie, more of a ham fisted libertarian parable than entertainment, but it ended up being accidentally interesting.

The movie has a lot of "heroic rancher vs the government" imagery, but after seeing the bundy standoff so prominently in the news lately, it was impossible to read those images as anything but rural terrorist endangers his family and radicalizes his children.

I'm fascinated by the way real world events overwhelmed the intended message of the film and sort of reversed it (at least for me), and would definitely be interested in watching movies that were similarly impacted by real world events that happened after the movies were released, if anyone has any suggestions.

Rambo 3

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I never saw The Astronaut Farmer, but everything that I know about it makes it sound like it has themes ranging from intellectually perverse to disgustingly anti-science.

Rambo 3's message continues to be great, and does much more to inform the context of real world events than the other way around.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

I imagine Disney would have to deliver the biggest dumpster truck full of cash at Fox's front door in order to get that released, though.

Releasing the original cut on Blu-ray would make at least two dumpster trucks of money

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

This is really the best possible answer.

Green Room would be another good choice, though.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Timby posted:

They could just trade them some more X-Men or something

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I loving love Rambo 3 for how out of place it is today. Looking at it from a post 9/11 and Afghanistan War mindset sure is something. If I remember right, they actually changed the dedication at the end from the mujahideen fighters to the people of Afghanistan.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Yo, SMG, I'm getting Kill Command from Netflix tomorrow along with In a Valley of Violence - this poo poo better be worth it.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 4, 2017

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Safety Factor posted:

I loving love Rambo 3 for how out of place it is today. Looking at it from a post 9/11 and Afghanistan War mindset sure is something. If I remember right, they actually changed the dedication at the end from the mujahideen fighters to the people of Afghanistan.

Yeah lol

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
OH SO THEY AREN'T AS BRAVE AS THE MUJAHADEEN?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Who the gently caress uses "gallant"?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

dedicated to the gay peoples of Afghanistan

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

MisterBibs posted:

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but this is pretty interesting.

TLDR, the Titanic might've been hosed before it hit the iceberg. A fire, allegedly, made the hull weaker than it normally would've been.

It's been known about for years (It was actually reported at the time) but was often downplayed as not that important. Ultimately it was probably a lot more important than people first realised, and White Star covered it up. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but that's pretty much what they did because it would make them culpable. Knowing that Fireman who made it off the ship could testify that the loving thing had been on fire since the day they set sail, White Star Line told the New York inquest that all the Firemen died. When it came time for the full inquest, the Judge - who had ties to the shipbuilding industry - repeatedly denounced any claims that the fire had anything to do with the sinking. Firemen had to fight to be able to testify, and when it was done he still dismissed it.

It was also the reason the ship was going so fast. It wasn't trying to break records like some people claim, they were getting rid of the burning cole by shovelling it into the furnaces. By the time the fire was put out they had just enough fuel to get them to New York. Surprise surprise, what really did them in was White Star Line cutting corners and using lovely steel to save money and to get the work done faster.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Even knowing it was a film about Orson Welles sewing Greek gods into flesh, Malpertuis was somehow weirder than I imagined it would be.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Snak posted:

Goofus.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Goofus dedicates his movie to the brace fighters of the Taliban.

Gallant dedicates his movie to the people of Afghanistan.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
This image from the Clickhole facebook page really speaks to me.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
While the trailer is trying to hide it, it looks like A Dog's Purpose is continuous scenes where beloved dog dies: the movie

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The first movie to win a Newbery Medal.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Timby posted:

Not exactly.

George Lucas traded the ownership of Star Wars '77 for the merchandising rights. Great decision, but it means that it'll remain the only Star Wars property not wholly owned by Lucasfilm. Even The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi are owned by Lucasfilm, but Fox has most distribution rights until 2020.

While few films are as big as Star Wars, it'll be as simple as Fox licensing rights to Disney. Studios do this all the time. Disney traded the contract for someone at ESPN to Universal for exchange for all the Oswald the Lucky Rabbit cartoons Walt produced.

One idea would be that Fox could license Star Wars '77 to Disney in exchange for licenses to parts of their library or the rights to remakes.

I don't know if the new 4K was a Fox or Lucasfilm project. However, you can't restore the film in 4K without going back to the original elements. All the 1997 stuff was rendered at 2K or less. Given that they've reworked parts piecemeal... the Kenobi/Vader fight was totally rotoscoped from scratch for the 2004 master, so they had to use the camera negative.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 4, 2017

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

glam rock hamhock posted:

This image from the Clickhole facebook page really speaks to me.

Same, especially because I made a new friend today

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Snak posted:

Goofus uses "gallant"

Gallant uses "dope"

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yo what are the best movies featuring telekinesis? Besides Akira, obviously

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Looper

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Carrie

Firestarter

Friday the 13th Part VII

Chronicle

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

The Empire Strikes Back :colbert:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I just found out Princess Mononoke is having a special screening in my town tomorrow night and while I was reeeeaaaally attached to seeing Assassin's Creed I just can't pass this up :shepface:

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015

This sounds perfect, just read the thing about them changing the dedication at the end of the film. thanks!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
HyperNormalisation is my new favorite film of the year.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

K. Waste posted:

HyperNormalisation is my new favorite film of the year.

hell yes

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
My fav bit so far is when Curtis deliberately pisses off Gaddafi's son just so he'll go on a rant about how Libya is only fake because America is fake, but if you wanna be cool America has to like you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Anonymous Robot posted:

Matilda. Second-best Roald Dahl adaptation, Danny Devito pulls awesome double duty as director and supporting player.

• Locked thread