Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

quote:

@WindhorstESPN said the Hawks had a deal with the Raptors that fell through on today’s @TrueHoopTV podcast. Brian Windhorst on ESPN’s TrueHoop Podcast (15 min mark): “They almost traded (Paul Millsap) to Denver at the trade deadline last year. They also had a trade lined up for Jeff Teague and ultimately decided not to do either trade. Then over the summer, after they did trade Jeff Teague and sign Dwight Howard, they were all set to trade Millsap if Al Horford had re-signed. They were going to trade him to Toronto. That deal fell through when Horford went to Boston.

Sorry Raptors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I assume the Denver deal would've sent one of Nurkic or Faried back to Atlanta otherwise that's a weird one from the Nuggets' point of view.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

George not content with burning bridges in the NBA wants to get himself banned from China
https://twitter.com/steven_lebron/status/816128412922290180

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

WhyteRyce posted:

George not content with burning bridges in the NBA wants to get himself banned from China
https://twitter.com/steven_lebron/status/816128412922290180

A while back I wanted to watch Starbury in China and the youtube highlights pretty much confirm this.

Also this book was the best thing ever for George Karl's post-coaching career. He's basically just being as outrageous as possible so people buy his book and talk about his old worthless rear end.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Also I watched the Kings/Nuggets game last night and had to swap streams. The difference between Nuggets terrible homer announcers and Kings smart and fun announcers is night and day.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Os Furoris posted:

Sac goons: I'm planning on buying a ticket to the Pacers Kings game this month. Is the upper deck terrible? Looks like I can get a seat for around $40 at half court. Any food recommendations near the new arena?

I'm 100% fine with the upper deck. Some people find it daunting when they first go up there because it is relatively steep compared to other arenas, and you're higher up than at the older arena because of the additional levels added for suites and lofts. There are no cup holders up there and the aisles are pretty narrow (which is why there are no cup holders), so it's a tight fit. But I think the sight lines are great. My seats are 3 rows from the back and I can see everything just fine.

That being said, if you're in the upper level and went with a friend, I'd strongly consider staking out a spot early in the Draught Garden. You'll get a great view of the game (maybe even better than your seat) and get a little more elbow room near the railing.

All the food in the arena is pretty good. It is pricey but unless you make happy hour most of the restaurants outside are just as pricey. Duck fat fries from Low Brau near the Draught Garden are great. The El Jefe dog is a jumbo hot dog with cheese sauce, carnitas, guacamole, and pico. Guaranteed to be good and guaranteed to have you on the toilet the next day. The carnitas nachos are also good. Again, it's all pretty good and there is something different at each station/stand so feel free to walk around and see if something looks good.

If you want to eat outside the arena, I like getting to Pizza Rock for happy hour. They have $5 personnel pizzas and $4 32oz. PBR. And if you're not trying to eat cheap then they have a bunch of good pizza (Cal Italia, Detroit Red Brick). I can't give a recommendation on El Rey or Malt & Mash, which are right outside the arena, because they are both super packed before games and I'd rather not deal with that. If you go to the far end of K-Street, Tequilla Mayahuel is pretty good. Sauced is brand new, right outside the arena, and should be open by then. Haven't been but the soft opening reviews look ok.

I'm not sure if you're from Sacramento or familiar with Downtown, but there are other good places if you don't mind expanding your radius 10-12 blocks.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Jack's Flow posted:

Iverson's MVP season VS Isaiah Thomas 2016-17

http://bkref.com/tiny/zoeWS

And I'm pretty sure Thomas will keep this up for the rest of the year.

In AI's defense, keeping up his (clearly inferior) production while playing 42 fucken minutes a game is something most guys couldn't do.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
The Reno Bighorns are using dokmo fave George Papagiannis as a post up scorer, wtf are they doing.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

dokmo posted:

The Reno Bighorns are using dokmo fave George Papagiannis as a post up scorer, wtf are they doing.

Wrong!!! Is lie!!!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Sorry dokmo but roll man in 2016 is very soft

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Os Furoris posted:

Sac goons: I'm planning on buying a ticket to the Pacers Kings game this month. Is the upper deck terrible? Looks like I can get a seat for around $40 at half court. Any food recommendations near the new arena?

I've never been to a Kings game specifically but if you go to basketball rarely I recommend springing for a lower bowl ticket. It can't be that hard to get (I can get Rockets tickets to good games for like $60-100 over the player tunnel)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

chunkles posted:

I've never been to a Kings game specifically but if you go to basketball rarely I recommend springing for a lower bowl ticket. It can't be that hard to get (I can get Rockets tickets to good games for like $60-100 over the player tunnel)

Upper level sidelines is usually better than lower bowl behind the basket, though.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Cool Buff Man posted:

Sorry Raptors

I guess the Poeltl pick would've been the centrepiece.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Cool Buff Man posted:

Sorry Raptors

As if I needed another reason to hate Boston

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Lockback posted:

Upper level sidelines is usually better than lower bowl behind the basket, though.

Confirmed in pretty much every sport, IMO.

Upper level center court/center ice/50 yard line/mid pitch are the best seats. Can see everything develop.

Os Furoris
Aug 19, 2002

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm 100% fine with the upper deck. Some people find it daunting when they first go up there because it is relatively steep compared to other arenas, and you're higher up than at the older arena because of the additional levels added for suites and lofts. There are no cup holders up there and the aisles are pretty narrow (which is why there are no cup holders), so it's a tight fit. But I think the sight lines are great. My seats are 3 rows from the back and I can see everything just fine.

That being said, if you're in the upper level and went with a friend, I'd strongly consider staking out a spot early in the Draught Garden. You'll get a great view of the game (maybe even better than your seat) and get a little more elbow room near the railing.

All the food in the arena is pretty good. It is pricey but unless you make happy hour most of the restaurants outside are just as pricey. Duck fat fries from Low Brau near the Draught Garden are great. The El Jefe dog is a jumbo hot dog with cheese sauce, carnitas, guacamole, and pico. Guaranteed to be good and guaranteed to have you on the toilet the next day. The carnitas nachos are also good. Again, it's all pretty good and there is something different at each station/stand so feel free to walk around and see if something looks good.

If you want to eat outside the arena, I like getting to Pizza Rock for happy hour. They have $5 personnel pizzas and $4 32oz. PBR. And if you're not trying to eat cheap then they have a bunch of good pizza (Cal Italia, Detroit Red Brick). I can't give a recommendation on El Rey or Malt & Mash, which are right outside the arena, because they are both super packed before games and I'd rather not deal with that. If you go to the far end of K-Street, Tequilla Mayahuel is pretty good. Sauced is brand new, right outside the arena, and should be open by then. Haven't been but the soft opening reviews look ok.

I'm not sure if you're from Sacramento or familiar with Downtown, but there are other good places if you don't mind expanding your radius 10-12 blocks.

Awesome response, thanks. I'm in Sacramento frequently on business so I'm by myself and will probably just sample some of the arena food. Based on what you're describing it will do nicely.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

hahaha the reward for victory is Joel Embiid gently slide tackling you in the dick

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Lockback posted:

JaVale isn't actually smarter off the court than he is on the court, right? There are plenty of guys who are dumb as bricks off the court but plenty smart on it. I can't really think of anyone who is reverse....

the evidence speaks for itself:

quote:

the Mavs sat down with him and told him how he could be the best player in the league if he just tried, and his response was, "why? I've already made more money than I'll ever need."

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i kinda wish the nba didnt feel so futile as a fan of a non-superstar-having team. jokic is nice and all but the nuggets arent going anywhere until the suck back to the top of the draft imo.

the same 7 teams (Cavs, Lakers, Warriors, Celtics, Spurs, Magic, Heat, Mavs) have appeared in every nba finals since 2006; 2013-2016 is back-to-back rematches of the same four teams (Heat-Spurs, Cavs-Warriors)

i dont really believe its possible to build a Finals-winning team unless you have a top 3 draft pick or an absurd amount of luck

different sports and playoff process etc. but the NFL has had 13 different teams appears in the SB over the same period of time.

solution: make NBA playoffs single elimination except for the conference championships and finals, which should be best of 3

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 4, 2017

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Noctone posted:

I dunno, with the right attitude that is completely correct and enlightened.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

ex post facho posted:

i kinda wish the nba didnt feel so futile as a fan of a non-superstar-having team. jokic is nice and all but the nuggets arent going anywhere until the suck back to the top of the draft imo.

the same 7 teams (Cavs, Lakers, Warriors, Celtics, Spurs, Magic, Heat, Mavs) have appeared in every nba finals since 2006; 2013-2016 is back-to-back rematches of the same four teams (Heat-Spurs, Cavs-Warriors)

i dont really believe its possible to build a Finals-winning team unless you have a top 3 draft pick or an absurd amount of luck

8 teams. The Thunder made it in 2012

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Noctone posted:

javale posted:

the Mavs sat down with him and told him how he could be the best player in the league if he just tried, and his response was, "why? I've already made more money than I'll ever need."

Sounds reasonable.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

JaVale is much smarter off the court.

Yeah. His interview where he calls Shaq "a bully who likes me" to his face is great. Shaq absolutely seems like a bully who sucks and can't take a joke at all. Like when Lou Amundson filled Shaq's car with popcorn back in 2009 so Shaq's retaliation "prank" was mildly disproportionate--

Don't have long hair myself but from what I know from people who do it's generally considered highly bad form to get together with your pals bodily hold a dude down and destroy somethin' somebody's been "working on" for over a year

But now this got me reminded of the kinky poo poo Anthony Davis was into back in college ha ha ha

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

ex post facho posted:

different sports and playoff process etc. but the NFL has had 13 different teams appears in the SB over the same period of time.

solution: make NBA playoffs single elimination except for the conference championships and finals, which should be best of 3

Afc super bowl representative pic

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

8 teams. The Thunder made it in 2012

ah yea. that's still only 8 teams that have appeared even when over half of the league makes the playoffs each year

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

ex post facho posted:

Ah yes, let's get rid of the playoffs that have brought us a shitload of amazing 7 game series in the last 2 years alone. Cavs/warriors, warriors/thunder, clippers/spurs, rockets/clippers, etc. there has been so much good playoff basketball that there is no compelling reason to change it

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
basically the nba should just make playoffs the top 6 or top 4 teams from each conference and shorten the season by about 32 games

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I dunno, with the right attitude that is completely correct and enlightened.

that's what i'm saying my man

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

ex post facho posted:

Nah the playoffs rule. The solution has to be personal. My team, the New York Knicks, have not won a title in my lifetime and they probably will continue to not do (an almost inaudible, ominous chant, Zing Zing Zing) so I take pleasure in watching the success of wayward NY players succeeding with other teams such as the Cleveland Knicks or Shaun Livingston of the Golden State Nets or the New Orleans Knicks.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ex post facho posted:

You forgot the Magic and Thunder!!!!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ex post facho posted:

basically the nba should just make playoffs the top 6 or top 4 teams from each conference and shorten the season by about 32 games

Maybe shorten it by 50 or so games. And expand the league so you can have a 64 team playoff. Make the playoff single elimination.

Maybe throw in a few playin games for the hell of it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lebron is the goat so I don't know what else you'd expect from the east.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Picture this: AD butt naked
screamin' on the bathroom floor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bc2laTUMY8
(censored but still probably NSFW ha ha ha)
(pause at 10 seconds for perhaps a glimpse of the future MVPeen)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Meanwhile Barry bonds made one ws .

Different sports .

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

ex post facho posted:

ah yea. that's still only 8 teams that have appeared even when over half of the league makes the playoffs each year

8 teams in 10 finals is pretty good parity historically in the NBA. A lot of what your complaining about is just basketball. There are only 5 guys on the court at a time per team, career-ending injuries are somewhat uncommon, peaks last a long time.... Unless you change one of those there will always be teams that can put together championship runs that last years.

If you want more parity, you need to tighten the cap and make it harder for teams that put together good teams via luck or intelligent management to keep them together. You can make arguments both ways for that, but overall I don't think there is a lot of pressure to make it harder to keep teams together.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

NBA needs like a rotating blessing system. 1 team from each division gets a 30% boost in cap space for 3 years. After that the blessing moves to the next team and the previous team must purge themselves to get back under the cap.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
well yea that's my point. its a superstar driven league. if you're a fan of a team that doesn't have lebron/curry/popovich on it, you might as well just resign yourself for the next 8-10 years and hope that your team's management is smart enough to tank to the bottom shamelessly and still make the right decision on draft night.

as uch as i enjoy stuff like the clippers losing to houston, who loving cares? its currys and brons all the way down

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Re: Javale

There is more reward than just money by reaching your potential if you put in a bit of effort. Doesn't seem especially smart or enlightened to me if he doesn't realize that

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Is stanley johnson terrible? I can't tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

ex post facho posted:

well yea that's my point. its a superstar driven league. if you're a fan of a team that doesn't have lebron/curry/popovich on it, you might as well just resign yourself for the next 8-10 years and hope that your team's management is smart enough to tank to the bottom shamelessly and still make the right decision on draft night.

as uch as i enjoy stuff like the clippers losing to houston, who loving cares? its currys and brons all the way down

The problem seems to be that you don't enjoy basketball so much as you only enjoy watching your team win

• Locked thread