Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Elyv posted:

Modern playable!!(as a two of in barely playable deck Storm)

Legendary does make that a little weird.

Turns all your cancels into counterspells! THE POWER

Sickening fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

dragon enthusiast posted:

They've mentioned multiple times how it existed in the design file initially before being cut

Maro said in his article this week they originally wanted to bring back Affinity and the head developer said gently caress no.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

(more seriously, it's really just a good card)

This seems like a card that'll do something somewhere but I don't know what, exactly.

Aside from slot right into modern storm.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Looks like an annoying EDH deck at least, though there's probably a better general? (I don't play EDH)

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

odiv posted:

Looks like an annoying EDH deck at least, though there's probably a better general? (I don't play EDH)

It's like ertai but better, I think.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Elyv posted:

(more seriously, it's really just a good card)
Welp, expect to see a lot of this guy in Commander, most likely as a general. Source: I played EDH. On purpose. Multiple times.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Baral seems awesome but is hurt by the fact that Standard counterspells are generally bad. You also need something like Jace to pitch additional copies to.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Terrible Horse posted:

Baral seems awesome but is hurt by the fact that Standard counterspells are generally bad. You also need something like Jace to pitch additional copies to.

Doesn't Baral pitch additional copies to himself?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Baral's Expertise is pretty good... Works very well with Glimmer.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Terrible Horse posted:

Jeskai ascendency :getin:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Veyrall posted:

Welp, expect to see a lot of this guy in Commander, most likely as a general. Source: I played EDH. On purpose. Multiple times.

We can get you the help you need.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Veyrall posted:

He might replace azami as the tribal wizard commander...but the moment you pull this out as your commander all hate on the table is going to you first.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

...Spellbombs?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Except now you don't have to choose between the effect and the card, yeah.

We'll see how much we want Revolt in limited I guess.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

quote:

Hidden Stocks
BW
Enchantment
Revolt - At the beginning of your end step, if a permanent you control left the battlefield this turn, create a 1/1 colorless servo creature token.

1, sacrifice a creature: Scry 1.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I like all the cool powerful uncommons we've seen

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

I have a Modern Aristocrats brew this might do well in.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Solemn Recruit
1WW
Creature - Dwarf Soldier
Double strike

Revolt - At the beginning of your end step, if a permanent you controlled left the battlefield this turn, put a +1/+1 counter on Solemn Recruit.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

*Panting heavily, obviously aroused* Th-the value................

anglachel
May 28, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

I have a Modern Aristocrats brew this might do well in.

The only upside to this card over Bitterblossom seems to be that you can get the token at the end of your turn instead of having to roll around to your upkeep.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

anglachel posted:

The only upside to this card over Bitterblossom seems to be that you can get the token at the end of your turn instead of having to roll around to your upkeep.

And that it doesn't kill you.

Bitterblossom kills you, after all.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
What is going on guys

They're printing good cards. They're not all mythic or even rare. They're not all green value dudes. It's a brave new world and I love it

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
This set appears to be full of Bears and Pikers.

I'm OK with this.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

sit on my Facebook posted:

What is going on guys

They're printing good cards. They're not all mythic or even rare. They're not all green value dudes. It's a brave new world and I love it

The exchange for this was two really bad red mythics in the set, from one and the other being anywhere between mediocre and really good.

I guess that's fine, though.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Doesn't gain life, I hate it.

This is really good, actually.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Spellbombs are sexy, BW tokens thing is fun, doublestrike dwarf dies to shock but might be good in at least limited anyways, I loving love Baral even if he doesn't necessarily have a place right now.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Solemn Recruit
1WW
Creature - Dwarf Soldier
Double strike

Revolt - At the beginning of your end step, if a permanent you controlled left the battlefield this turn, put a +1/+1 counter on Solemn Recruit.

hey look it's the Fabled Hero template

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rinkles posted:

Solemn Recruit
1WW
Creature - Dwarf Soldier
Double strike

I think White Red or Mardu Aggro is going to be good. Good enough to beat the Marvel? I'm not sure.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Day 3 of spoilers and still no graveyard hate or decent artifact removal.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

this set is looking exceptionally well designed for constructed. lots of cards with good and interesting abilities rather than raw stats.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The Shortest Path posted:

doublestrike dwarf dies to shock

It can play around it though, if it comes down against a tapped out red player and the revolt trigger goes off it will be a 3/3 by the time they can hit it. A double striker that can be a 3/3 that quickly without much work seems really good.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Lets Pickle posted:

Doesn't gain life, I hate it.

This is really good, actually.

I could see this replacing the Oath of Gideon's in B/W Tokens in Modern

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mezzanon posted:

I could see this replacing the Oath of Gideon's in B/W Tokens in Modern

Modern BW Tokens is playing Oath of Gideon?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Modern BW Tokens is playing Oath of Gideon?

As a 2 of and not very many lists have been using it. Just been something new of late. Basically lists that have been doing both Gideon Ally and Solemn visitor. Honestly I don't like it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

As a 2 of and not very many lists have been using it. Just been something new of late. Basically lists that have been doing both Gideon Ally and Solemn visitor. Honestly I don't like it.

That seems very terrible...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I don't personally like adding another 3 cmc spell that produces non-flying tokens. The emblem benefits are good, but not game changing.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

I agree with you in this assessment.

But I also don't play B/W Tokens, so what do I know?

But what I am saying is that Hidden Stocks is better than Oath of Gideon in the modern deck B/W Tokens.

And it Might be good enough to just see play in regular B/W Tokens.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

If I am forced to put this thing or Oath of Gideon in my BW tokens deck I'm probably not playing BW tokens

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Elyv posted:

If I am forced to put this thing or Oath of Gideon in my BW tokens deck I'm probably not playing BW tokens

Pretty much this. They are both amazingly low impact for modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Besides creating two tokens, my guess is that Oath of Gideon lets you get two emblems with Sorin, Lord of Innistrad without having to create a token first. And, it gives Gideon, Ally of Zendikar enough counters to make an emblem and stick around to generate tokens.

• Locked thread