Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Per this list:

http://community.brickpicker.com/blog/lego-news/lego-polybag-availability-update-january-2017-r17427/

It is not yet known where/how to get the R2D2. It does not look like it will be a Lego store thing, though. Those usually have long set #s. This one is 30611.
I could see it being a TRU giveaway w/ purchase, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

I've always wanted to get a large scale Falcon, missed the last one, just don't want to miss this one. On the other hand how solid are the rumors that a new UCS one is coming? If they are a lil credible, I can hold out:dance:

GigantoR
Jan 10, 2006

WOOOOOO!!!

Captain Invictus posted:

don't sort by color, sort by part type. It will save you a lot of trouble in the end. Group a bunch of different part types together if need be, but sorting by color will not help you in the long run very much.

So, is there like, a guide to this somewhere? I fear how granular that could get...

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Got my "The Ring of the Sorcery" Helms Deep set today, they really packed in the bricks! Is it normal on Ali Express to release the money when you've got it or should you wait and see (and build)?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GigantoR posted:

So, is there like, a guide to this somewhere? I fear how granular that could get...

Depends on the size of your collection. Like all my "wing" pieces go into a single ziploc bag right now. All the 1x1 "modified" bricks with clips for attaching bits are in the same bin. All my 2x6 and larger plates go into the same bucket, but 2x4's get their own. So you really just gotta start doing it and decide what works for you.

Then you get up to the people with truly massive collections and have an entire wall dedicated to storage bins where every bin has a different part type.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

GigantoR posted:

Sort however you wish. Color makes more sense. Dunno why anyone would tell you the opposite. Color > part type. Bricks. Plates. Tiles. Each by size. Would make finding what you want much easier. Then make an access data base.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sorting by color is horrible and bad. When you need a specific part in red and all you have is a giant bucket of red, it's even worse than the jumbled rubbermaid lego bin because everything looks the same.

I will admit that sorted by color is good for "on the fly" building though. When you're spending 10 minutes pawing through the tub for the one thing you wanted, you're guaranteed to find 10 other parts that you will want to incorporate into your build.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Waltzing Along posted:

Sort however you wish. Color makes more sense. Dunno why anyone would tell you the opposite. Color > part type. Bricks. Plates. Tiles. Each by size. Would make finding what you want much easier. Then make an access data base.

Depends on how individual you sort your pieces. For example say you have a bunch of red and blue 2x4 and 2x2 pieces. When sorted by colour you have to identify the right part out of a pile of the same colour whereas when you sort by part you just need to identify the colour you want. However if you have them sorted to the degree of separate parts and separate colours it's pretty much just personal preference as to what your primary sorting method is.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

xzzy posted:

Sorting by color is horrible and bad. When you need a specific part in red and all you have is a giant bucket of red, it's even worse than the jumbled rubbermaid lego bin because everything looks the same.

I will admit that sorted by color is good for "on the fly" building though. When you're spending 10 minutes pawing through the tub for the one thing you wanted, you're guaranteed to find 10 other parts that you will want to incorporate into your build.

Sort by color and piece. That way you know you have 23 1x2 red bricks. And 37 1x1 white tiles.

Also, keep in mind that a sizable number of people are color blind. Sorting by piece type, for them, is a fools errand. When you put the same piece with a bunch of other stuff around, it can get tricky.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wouldn't sorting by color be a fool's errand too?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Holy cow:

F-14A Tomcat Launch Front Qtr by crash_cramer, on Flickr

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

xzzy posted:

Wouldn't sorting by color be a fool's errand too?

How so? Seems pretty simple to me. Sort by color. Then sort by part. It's how I do any used things I buy to make sure they are complete.

1 - Color
2 - Part
3 - check vs part list at bricklink

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I was a sort-by-color person but changed my ways once my collection got bigger. If you go back to my post, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3328496&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=811#post467772900 you can see I have them sorted and bagged by type. I can also look them up in Rebrickable where I have them entered by color and I can look them up by part type.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I attach identical pieces to each other so I can find a bunch at once. Don't have them totally overlap though, or they are bitch to pull apart. Like if you have a bunch of 2x4s connect 4 studs on each, you make a pattern like a brick wall.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well the point was if sorting by part type makes it hard for colorblind people, sorting by color should be similarly error prone. Lots of conversations like "why do you have those green pieces in your red bucket?"

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

deoju posted:

I attach identical pieces to each other so I can find a bunch at once. Don't have them totally overlap though, or they are bitch to pull apart. Like if you have a bunch of 2x4s connect 4 studs on each, you make a pattern like a brick wall.

Yep. This is the way to do it.

xzzy posted:

Well the point was if sorting by part type makes it hard for colorblind people, sorting by color should be similarly error prone. Lots of conversations like "why do you have those green pieces in your red bucket?"

No, because when you have a ton of bricks of one color and only a few of another, most times you should be able to spot the misfits. Except for Reddish Brown and Dark Red (for me) unless the light is right. This is only using 2 colors. When you get a bunch mixed together, it can get tricky and I need to separate a bit. Like light bley and sand green can look similar when mixed with a bunch of other stuff. Next to each other it is fine, though.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

The_Doctor posted:

Anyone who watched the Channel 4 Lego documentary over Christmas - the spiky haired slightly camp manager has already quit, apparently.

He's upset how corporate are making people queue for ages outside when the store itself is pretty empty, purely to build hype/publicity.
Is the queueing still happening now, 2 months after opening? We were planning a trip there in a couple of weeks (which I was a bit wary about, even a normal Lego store only holds at max 20 minutes entertainment for the kid, so this one is unlikely to be worth the trip on its own).

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Got a Lepin UCS Millenium Falcon. This is a 2'x4' coffee table

edit: Missing 82 2x4 light blueish grey plates. gently caress.....

jeff8472 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 5, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

tactical_grace posted:

Is the queueing still happening now, 2 months after opening? We were planning a trip there in a couple of weeks (which I was a bit wary about, even a normal Lego store only holds at max 20 minutes entertainment for the kid, so this one is unlikely to be worth the trip on its own).

Yeah it is, annoyingly. It really should die down soon now that Xmas is over.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

2 more series done today

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

mattfl posted:

2 more series done today

Do you have the templates that you're printing it on?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

obi_ant posted:

Do you have the templates that you're printing it on?

Grab em from here

http://www.pointbrick.com/blog/category/da-costruire/

I resize mine to 9x9 and then cut it in half and print it on 2 pages

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

GigantoR posted:

Captain Invictus posted:

http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/part-storage/19-bin-portable-parts-storage-case-93928.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/part-storage/8-bin-portable-parts-storage-case-93927.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/part-storage/15-bin-portable-parts-storage-case-93929.html

They're cheap, really sturdy, and have removable and customizable sections which is insanely handy for building stuff, take section out, dump it out, get parts you need, scoop back into section, put back. So much faster than other methods.

There's not so many that it's too troublesome, and I largely kept them organized by type, I.E. 4 large bins are for bionicle bits, one large bin is for transparent pieces/printed pieces, etc

get to work :v:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

jeff8472 posted:

Holy poo poo!

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

jeff8472 posted:

Got a Lepin UCS Millenium Falcon. This is a 2'x4' coffee table

Slightly related, there's talk on the Lego subreddit that the next Star Wars UCS set may be a Millennium Falcon re-release.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
If they do, I really hope it is updated a lot like with some sort of interior and a real canopy. At the very least I hope they tank the value of the damned dish. . .

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

If they do, I really hope it is updated a lot like with some sort of interior and a real canopy. At the very least I hope they tank the value of the damned dish. . .

The value will double again when the new one is a sticker.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Crotch Fruit posted:

I would be really tempted to buy an new UCS falcon, but at the likely $500 price point I'd probably pass in the end. Give it an interior and a real canopy though and it would probably push me over the edge.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I just put together the Adventure Time set, and I rather like it, although I really wish Lego would start making ball joints in other colors besides medium and dark gray. This set alone needs them in blue, light blue, pale azure(?), and pink. Lady Rainicorn in particular could use ball joint flexibility.
It would've been nice for all the face bricks to have been double-sided (and maybe give BMo an extra face plate or two), too.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Super interested, hope I have time to budget for it.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Is it Ok to talk about Lepin and other non Lego-Lego models? even with 40% off, the prices for Lego models in my country are absurdly high and I can only get the smaller sets.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

radlum posted:

Is it Ok to talk about Lepin and other non Lego-Lego models? even with 40% off, the prices for Lego models in my country are absurdly high and I can only get the smaller sets.

There's been plenty of talk about Lepin in here. I just built the Lepin Porsche and posted about it and someone just a few posts up posted the Lepin UCS Millenium Falcon.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Man, the store on post is so damned weird with what they stock. I picked up the Ant-Man Final Battle yesterday, because they had just gotten it in stock. Still at retail price, too. Thought it was strange, and remembered it's the only place to get the Ant-Man mini figure, so I grabbed one. Then I saw how much they're going for on the second hand market and am very tempted to go back and get all the rest.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah. Definitely do that.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

A Bad Poster posted:

Man, the store on post is so damned weird with what they stock. I picked up the Ant-Man Final Battle yesterday, because they had just gotten it in stock. Still at retail price, too. Thought it was strange, and remembered it's the only place to get the Ant-Man mini figure, so I grabbed one. Then I saw how much they're going for on the second hand market and am very tempted to go back and get all the rest.

I'd love one if possible :)

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
You could definitely help people in the thread who never got it. They pulled it from shelves halfway through its run because of pricing shenanigans or fixes and when they brought it back most stores forgot about it and never carried it again.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A Bad Poster posted:

Wow. how did that get so expensive? Seems like I saw that everywhere just months ago. I think that Gi-Ant man set has a figure of him too.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Yeah I also need an Ant Man for the very same reason, went to go get the set from the LEGO store shortly after release and it was gone.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure the price on Antman jumped a ton when the set with the giant and tiny one came out. That set doesn't have a normal minifig of him and people want all 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

deoju posted:

I'm pretty sure the price on Antman jumped a ton when the set with the giant and tiny one came out. That set doesn't have a normal minifig of him and people want all 3.

Yeah... I am definitely one of those people. So bizarre he wasn't included in a CW set in his updated costume. Maybe intentional?