Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

So I just picked this game up while it was half off on origin. Is there a quick start guide to the whole ultimate team thing? I was playing through the journey for a while and decided to take a break and check out FUT for a bit. I won one game and tied another, but I am really overwhelmed by all the information getting thrown at me. Any tips would be appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

wisdomHNOX posted:

So I just picked this game up while it was half off on origin. Is there a quick start guide to the whole ultimate team thing? I was playing through the journey for a while and decided to take a break and check out FUT for a bit. I won one game and tied another, but I am really overwhelmed by all the information getting thrown at me. Any tips would be appreciated!

I'm not going to do a whole write up but save your coins early on and build up a cheap + good team in a good formation. 41212(2) and 433(4) are your best bets but if you're new the former formation is probably better.

Here's a really cheap starter squad that is (imo) very balanced and has cheap yet extremely effective players.
https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/996797

You could buy that with coin boosts (redeem these in the ea catalog starting with the 1k boosts) after playing ~10 games or so and it's honestly good enough to get you to D1 if you can play well. After awhile you should build another cheap squad and rotate your two squads so you can get player fitness up without having to spend money on squad fitness items.

umm other advice, never use coins on packs.

e- look on youtube for a tutorial if you need basic basic tips on getting started but you should be able to figure it out
e2- futbin censored tart in start....

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 4, 2017

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Seltzer posted:

I'm not going to do a whole write up but save your coins early on and build up a cheap + good team in a good formation. 41212(2) and 433(4) are your best bets but if you're new the former formation is probably better.

Here's a really cheap starter squad that is (imo) very balanced and has cheap yet extremely effective players.
https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/996797

You could buy that with coin boosts (redeem these in the ea catalog starting with the 1k boosts) after playing ~10 games or so and it's honestly good enough to get you to D1 if you can play well. After awhile you should build another cheap squad and rotate your two squads so you can get player fitness up without having to spend money on squad fitness items.

umm other advice, never use coins on packs.

e- look on youtube for a tutorial if you need basic basic tips on getting started but you should be able to figure it out
e2- futbin censored tart in start....

This is excellent, and exactly what I was looking for, thank you. I have been running the 4-3-3(4) because it's what I am used to watching, and have had a little success so far (enough to get promoted out of the starting division anyway). I will keep an eye out for those guys on the market.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

wisdomHNOX posted:

This is excellent, and exactly what I was looking for, thank you. I have been running the 4-3-3(4) because it's what I am used to watching, and have had a little success so far (enough to get promoted out of the starting division anyway). I will keep an eye out for those guys on the market.

Yea, 433s were the poo poo in the past but they made dribbling harder this year and defending easier and as a consequence already weak wingers have a hard time being effective. To get the best out of 433s this year you generally need elite wingers because thats when the dribbling gets good enough to get through defenses and that costs a bit of money. I play mostly 433(4) because the gameplay this year is really flat and boring to play the optimal way (narrow formations set to defensive + counter attack) and I play for fun foremost. I still have a 2 to 1 win record so it's not super difficult to use, just harder.

This would be a good/sort of cheap starter 433(4)

https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/998003

Ideally you'd want draxler at CAM or you could put Gotze/Kagawa in there too but that's also a very solid squad to start with.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
In h2h season I play with Chelsea in their 3atb formation which actually appears as 5-2-2-1 in FUT and it's kinda ridiculous, playing diagonal through balls from the wingbacks or cbs to the wingers is ridiculous because they're not marked at all by 4ATB formations. I haven't tried it in fut due to links but I think it might be a great beginner's formation.

Here's a cheapish squad based on french\ligue 1 players - http://www.futhead.com/17/squads/3648316/

I placed some possible (more expensive) upgrades on the bench, none of these is really super expensive, probably Di Maria is the priciest one of the bunch. You can also rather easily use these players in a 433 formation (Ben Arfa in the cam position is fantastic, he's so great I play him as CM even though he can't defend for poo poo).

This year I also recommend applying chemistry style cards to make sure you boost the right stats for each of your players, generally you can't go wrong with the Shadow chem style for defenders and midfielders.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
if you wanna try out a cheapo 4-3-3, do an RPL squad, good options for fast/agile/strong wingers, good work rate CMs and good target men

although prices might still be a bit inflated from the SBC deal

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

If you specifically need an English winger or can fit him into a squad IF Sinclair is really good. I packed him so I've been using him with.... crouch and I qualified for the WL with that duo. He's got some of the best positioning I've used on a winger even though the stat isn't that high. I'd definitely take him over NIF Sterling on the left. Also IF Soma was good, SIF Soma is a champion. He's what you think you're getting when you buy Zlatan but better and 5% the price. He's the first big man I've used in the game with good dribbling and speed (SIF Benteke has better shooting but worse balance and overall dribbling plus no 4* skills). He's so good I think everyone should pick up as an impact sub.

e- Crouch was pissing me off btw. He got onto a lot of headers but put them all wide, the one thing he's supposed to be good at.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Trip report: the 5-2-2-1 is awesome.

Strenots
Jun 21, 2005

'Course it's a good idea!

Thanks to those who posted some of the starter squads above. I just started fresh on the ps4 and was running into frustrations, but went on a good run after some squad and tactical adjustments. Ran into a 5-2-1-2 and it broke my offensive brain, and of course lost in the final minutes to them being able to rush past an injured defender, but I'm (for the moment) much less angry about FIFA.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
Looks like a ban hammer came down on PS4 players due to mass bidding/trading? No actual comment has come out but looks like loads were banned. I haven't been trading for a couple weeks due to xmas break so I wonder if I'm in the clear. Ended trading for this year and used my money to buy Ronnie, Bale and SIF eriksen.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Nice, I haven't done any trading at all this year but I have basically the max possible Bundesliga squad now barring informs, this is what I'm going with now

https://www.easports.com/fifa/ultimate-team/web-app/show-off?showoffId=dFhQwwlKnMrUX:FFA17PS4

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
That looks solid. What tactics you rolling with the 433(4)?

Just attempted weekend league and got in on first try with this team: https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/1020131

Thing I'm noticing is that every team used park the bus on me and put loads of pressure on Ronnie which left SIF Eriksen open so many timea. SIF Eriksen's dribbling and positioning is a dream. Probably my best player on the team.That being said, the pace on the wings makes it so easy to break out and do close dribbling when you get to the box

Filthee Fingas fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 6, 2017

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Just qualified for the WL for the first time. I haven't tried qualifying in a month or so and finally had time to play four games in a row. 2-0, 3-0, 2-0, 3-2 with my EPL team. I packed Lukaku the other day and he was pretty good all four games, SBC Sterling really shined in my final game, which was a nail biter.

I went down 1-0, then Sterling hit the post twice, then later scored two goals to go up 2-1. My opponent scored on a corner in the 85th minute, a header from between the penalty spot and the 18 yard line... Of all people, Kante made a brilliant run in the 90th minute to get through and scored the winner.

Pretty awesome. I'll probably have time to play like 6 games total.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Honestly don't remember, probably like 70/30, 70/50/70, 50/50/50, something like that.

Trip report on Latza: Weirdly actually seems pretty good at all types of shooting despite having 44 finishing. Has finished some crazy hard chances, like side footing volleys into the exact corner of the net, stuff like that. I think he has like 18 goals in 40 games or something which is pretty solid for a CM.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

6-0 right now. Running a SIF Al Soma half Saudi hybrid and a IF Sinclair/Peter Crouch squad. I highly recommend those two in forms. Crouch scoring on people seems to accelerate rage quitting.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Remember to do the robot dance with Crouch for extra classic points.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Started 2-6 so far, my worst start ever :( boo

I lost my first game 1-0 where I had 15 shots to his 2 and it's been nothing but poo poo like that

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 8, 2017

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Started 2-6 so far, my worst start ever :( boo

I lost my first game 1-0 where I had 15 shots to his 2 and it's been nothing but poo poo like that

Peter Crouch is only 400 coins

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, maybe not enough doing the robot is my problem

I'm back to 7-7 now so I was probably just getting a bit unlucky

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 8, 2017

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

Peter Crouch is only 400 coins

Literally any player will score that though, I got beaten on two headers like that earlier courtesy of Santi Cazorla and Sadio Mane, who are both tiny.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I was gonna post something smarmy like "I'm sure using worse players is what I need to do" but I actually think it's pretty cool that he uses weird random players so I didn't want it to seem like I was making GBS threads on that

I am gonna try the SIF Soma too, sounds cool

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 8, 2017

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

hopterque posted:

Literally any player will score that though, I got beaten on two headers like that earlier courtesy of Santi Cazorla and Sadio Mane, who are both tiny.

It's not supposed to be an amazing goal there's just a nice rage quit at the end. Also I never give up headers to tiny players unless there's some fluke off of a corner, if you use B and aim away from the direction of the cross you win that battle everytime as a bigger CB. As someone who uses crossing a lot I have trouble scoring with players that have awful heading stats, the ball either skies over the bar or goes really wide most of the time. Idk how people are scoring those but it's fifa, sometimes your CB can crack a top corner longshot.

Stefan Prodan posted:

I was gonna post something smarmy like "I'm sure using worse players is what I need to do" but I actually think it's pretty cool that he uses weird random players so I didn't want it to seem like I was making GBS threads on that

Using trash players lets me do two things, have fun and frustrate people and throw them off their game. Also when you start digging into silvers/unused players people you're up against generally have no clue what your player is capable of (what foot to block, whether you can take finesse shots etc. etc.) and it gives you a little bonus.

I was joking when I suggested Crouch, he's pretty bad if you're not used to playing a targetman style, but he's tall and can pass the ball so he's not unusable or anything.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 8, 2017

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's why I'm using IF Latza, he's actually been really good for me apart from a couple moments where I go "well he has 44 finishing I don't know what I expected", he really does blast some insane long shots though

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Stefan Prodan posted:

Oh yeah no don't get me wrong I think its cool that he's using weird teams with weird players and having success, but I was just pointing out that basically anyone would have scored there. But I mean who doesn't like the idea of using an enormous slow idiot to dunk on people, really, when it comes down to it.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I don't know if it's sunday or around when you hit 11 wins but the game turns into some bullshit right around that point. I'm 100% convinced at this point there is some ELO system that kicks in. Ghost penalties, Ronaldo everywhere, people actually parking the bus from the start to try and go to pens.

I don't think anything in fifa history has been as frustrating/poor game design as implementing park the bus. Idc if it is a real world tactic, it has no place in a video game, especially when defending is so overpowered. I just can't fathom the person that plays 40 games parking the bus from the start. Seriously though a major part of the reason the older fifas were fun is because ultra defensive was as defensive as you could go and custom tactics didn't work online. Customization sounds better in theory but every year it results in people exploiting it to the max.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
The problem with park the bus and other 'negative' tactics in fifa is that its soooo hard to deal with it because the teams don't behave like they would in real life to counter those tactics. Like if someone takes an early lead and then passes it around the back and parks the bus rest of the game the other team is gonna be completely all up in their poo poo the whole time in real life, but even if you set yourself to all out attack and spam the poo poo out of the teammate contain button everyone still stands around mostly.

Also yeah I can't imagine the people who play every game like that.

24 wins AGAIN this week. By my count I dropped 4 games I absolutely should never have lost (multiple goal leads late, etc) so I know I'll get gold 1 one of these weeks, and with a bit of luck elite 3 is in my reach.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
24 is gold 1 tho

Edit: nevermind, I thought it was 3 per tier but you're right, that's just from gold 3 to 2

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 8, 2017

littlejoey
Jan 7, 2017

Seltzer posted:

I don't know if it's sunday or around when you hit 11 wins but the game turns into some bullshit right around that point. I'm 100% convinced at this point there is some ELO system that kicks in. Ghost penalties, Ronaldo everywhere, people actually parking the bus from the start to try and go to pens.

I don't think anything in fifa history has been as frustrating/poor game design as implementing park the bus. Idc if it is a real world tactic, it has no place in a video game, especially when defending is so overpowered. I just can't fathom the person that plays 40 games parking the bus from the start. Seriously though a major part of the reason the older fifas were fun is because ultra defensive was as defensive as you could go and custom tactics didn't work online. Customization sounds better in theory but every year it results in people exploiting it to the max.

The problem is that the button delay combined with people parking the bus or ultra defensive makes it harder to break through their back line.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

TOTY tomorrow. Legend prices are already dipping significantly and IFs a little bit. I have no idea if there will be a crash like last year but I have a hunch a small one will happen . Someone leaked that there will be guaranteed totw sbcs again and one that will give you a pack with a higher chance to get a TOTY (probably the biggest gimmick of them all). So basically 83-86 rated players and discard IFs will shoot up and everything else will lose value if I were to guess. low end players will crater and high end players will go down a bit (provided they aren't in the toty). Now I have to decide If I want to waste a bunch of coins on gimmicky dumb stuff (Okocha for a Nigerian squad and a bunch of IFs) or one really good player (Messi, Kluivert etc.) Also buying TOTW players that are out during TOTY is always a good bet as they dip very hard but go back up pretty quickly.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Went back to slumpin a bit but I"m 16-11 now which isn't too bad after a 1-6 start.

I put Al Soma in and he missed a really easy game winning goal :mad:

He has scored a couple times otherwise though and seems decent

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Sitting on 140k. Is Alaba worth 110k? He looks amazing and was worth it (90k) in FIFA 16.

My squad,

https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/692928

I may just wait till the TOTY's start rolling out. Although I'm not sure if his price will drop that much...

Also, IF-Modeste went on a bit of a goal-drought and is now sitting at 118 games played, 118 goals scored. Still a monster though,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbc6RFies5E&t=37s

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think Alaba is real good

I finished 22-18 this week, my worst one in awhile but I did have a pretty dogshit start. Hopefully at least 25 next week and then 30 at some point!

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

I think Alaba is real good

I finished 22-18 this week, my worst one in awhile but I did have a pretty dogshit start. Hopefully at least 25 next week and then 30 at some point!

I found Saturday's games to be brutal in terms of delay button/lag. Games were a lot better for me Sunday night. Only managed to play 19 games (ended up 11-8).

Found this an interesting read: https://www.reddit.com/r/FIFA/comments/5mqa8k/ocfut_weekend_league_ea_server_analysis_why_wl/

Probably explains why the lag was brutal for some games (still think it's just from server overload on the Saturday when most people are playing).

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I invested 150k or so (total) into buying the 3 god tier midfielders in Serie A for my team, and the team is playing way better for some reason.

Weird, I know.
But yeah, Nainggolan, Marchisio and Pjanic are just really good and complement each other really well and absolutely worth the money.

I'm also trying Sissoko out at CM for my BPL team, which is working really well. He gets 7 chem as a right midfielder, and is 6'2 and has basically perfect stats for an all around CM. He's a little big and clunky sometimes but yeah, until I'm able to afford Pogba it feels like a pretty good solution.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 9, 2017

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Will shut up about Latza after this but I really recommend trying him, even with his 44 finishing he still keeps banging in poo poo like this for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsMi5zAr3CI

And from long range he's ridiculous

Strenots
Jun 21, 2005

Looking for some resources on not being poo poo at this game beyond just playing more. Google just seems to return a bunch of clickbaity articles that give John Madden levels of obvious advice. I'm working on my ball handling and slowly getting better at defense, but I just can't seem to finish. I'm holding at division 7 and feeling like I'm losing a lot of games that I should be putting away. Squad is pretty fresh and I rotate between a couple of starter squads listed in the past couple of pages.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think this guy gives good advice and doesn't do clickbait poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvM5BAS6E8M

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Stefan Prodan posted:

Will shut up about Latza after this but I really recommend trying him, even with his 44 finishing he still keeps banging in poo poo like this for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsMi5zAr3CI

And from long range he's ridiculous
I got him on my B-Squad,

and his shots are loving hilarious. Anytime I have some space and I'm outside the box, I'm rocketing one towards goal. Only scored a handful of times with him, but I've also gotten a few rebound goals and loads of corners.

Strenots
Jun 21, 2005

Stefan Prodan posted:

I think this guy gives good advice and doesn't do clickbait poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvM5BAS6E8M

These were helpful, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Strenots posted:

Looking for some resources on not being poo poo at this game beyond just playing more. Google just seems to return a bunch of clickbaity articles that give John Madden levels of obvious advice. I'm working on my ball handling and slowly getting better at defense, but I just can't seem to finish. I'm holding at division 7 and feeling like I'm losing a lot of games that I should be putting away. Squad is pretty fresh and I rotate between a couple of starter squads listed in the past couple of pages.

I'd say finishing is actually one of the easier things to get good at, it's all about getting the feel down over time though, there are no real secrets. The only hard and fast facts this year are- Always go far post if possible, Only finesse shot this year if a player has high curve and/or the finesse shot trait and only finesse far post or if you are completely center to the goal and the keeper is coming out.

If you have any other basic questions feel free to ask, a lot of the game is not explained to you and just is instinct if you've played enough fifa. Stuff like clogging a lane/bumping into a stiker when an opponent triggers a run seems obvious but it's probably not and that's just one small thing. I currently play on default tactics with no instructions on any players but the attacker but that's because I'm really good at defense and don't mind handicapping myself a bit to have more fun and have more dynamic build up play. That being said if you're new setting your CDM and both fullbacks to stay back on attacking is probably a good idea. Defensive/counter attacking tactics may help also but I genuinely believe they're a crutch (mostly counter attack).

There's not a single player in the TOTY I will get. Last time I got one was David Luiz in '15. His card was so underserved and went for only about 150k and he was a complete menace. I was really hoping for an outfield player not from the EPL or Liga, but here we are.

• Locked thread